• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albert Penello puts dGPU Xbox One rumor to rest

Status
Not open for further replies.
ilERlIuaHoeTm.gif
Wow.

"Perf differences are greatly overstated"

I wonder what the basis of this statement is, and by that I mean, besides pure speculation that is. I know Albert has spoken here about how there are aspects that aren't known about both the PS4 and Xbox architecture but I wonder if there are any specifics he is raising and when, if ever, we'll know them. Are there multiplatform titles he has seen both Xbox and PS4 versions of to lead to that statement?

Does anybody expect launch window titles to spell out a true difference here?

Metfanant

I was getting a bunch of people asking about it, so just wanted to put it to rest.

unfortunately, now over on the misterX blog they are spinning your comment as confirmation of a FIRST dGPU, and denial of a THIRD overall GPU...

they are looking at it as

APU (CPU+GPU) + discreet GPU (in the 3+Tflop range)

they are actually saying your comment confirms that ^^^ you just denied the existence of a SECOND discreet GPU

Finalizer

That this goofy rumor... No, that gives it too much credit; That this outright nonsense ever gained traction and started spreading about in the first place is just silly. Wishful thinking remains a powerful force.

Xbone has weaker hardware. The sooner you accept it, the sooner you can get on with your life.

unfortunately, now over on the misterX blog they are spinning your comment as confirmation of a FIRST dGPU, and denial of a THIRD overall GPU...

they are actually saying your comment confirms that ^^^ you just denied the existence of a SECOND discreet GPU

Oh for fuck's sake!

No Love

Banned

What a bunch of fucking morons.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

I am leaning towards thinking that this blog is a deliberate parody.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
What about triple GPU?

Well, at least we can stop seeing that stupid rumor pop up. (And replace it with something equally implausible and nonsensical.)

Edit: Looks like misterxmedia jumped right on that.

Skeff

It's great that the dGPU has been officially debunked by MS, but I don't think it's going to change anything, I think we will continue to get the "secret sauce" rumors, pleased to see the end of this one though.

Regarding the "overstated" power differences, let's just wait til November and we'll see.

The spirit of reiko lives on.

Freki

It's great that the dGPU has been officially debunked by MS, but I don't think it's going to change anything, I think we will continue to get the "secret sauce" rumors, pleased to see the end of this one though.

Regarding the "overstated" power differences, let's just wait til November and we'll see.

That's you secret sauce right there - saying a 40% performance difference will be mitigated by great architecture choices on MSes side and not so great choices on Sony's sounds like secret sauce to me.

edit: for reference:
Performance: I’m not dismissing raw performance. I’m stating – as I have stated from the beginning – that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance.
source

Penello is still adamant that the power disparity between the two consoles is still not as huge as commonly believed. Based on the data we currently know, do you tech savvy guys believe there is any feasible way that he could be correct or are his arguments just damage control?

they are morons that's why lol.

Kyon

Banned
No fucking shit. Anyone who though this probably is also a birther, truther, Christina Aguilera fan.

Are you saying XBone is now comparable to Legend X? Certainly you jest

The huge difference here is The Legend has Talent the other is a struggle out the gate.

ibaWzAYn12ICUD.gif

IN&OUT

Banned
X1 fanboys has been so persistence it's unbelievable. Isn't it obvious that it's impossible for MS to attempt such thing in the first place?

Logic people, use damn logic.

buzzcockshoss9.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Are you saying XBone is now comparable to Legend X? Certainly you jest

The huge difference here is The Legend has Talent the other is a struggle out the gate.

ibaWzAYn12ICUD.gif

I mean people that believe in dGPU are the people that think Your Body was going to be a hit and that Lotus was just around the corner.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
It was a silly rumour to begin with, some are just too obsessed with statistics and that the X1 doesn't either exceed or match the PS4 numbers, of course if was the other way around I imagine we would still be having this conversation but with name changes.

Can't wait till both of these machines are finally out so we can move past these silly hardware statistic discussions, hidden hardware, secret sauce, witchcraft, etc.

Heh, one of the best things to come out of these new hardware reveals and everything afterwards have been all the gifs we have had in the last few months, almost makes the ridiculousness of console wars worth it.

Raonak

Banned
can't believe there's still people thinking the xbone has some secret wizard jizz that will somehow make it stronger than the ps4.

If it existed MS would be screaming it from the rooftops instead of going the "differences greatly overstated" angle

sangreal

ingenious

ghst

thanks for the laugh
hey al, there aren't any character limits here on GAF. no need for abbrv'd half-statements on twitter with all the depth of a puddle of chihuahua piss in the desert.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Penello is still adamant that the power disparity between the two consoles is still not as huge as commonly believed. Based on the data we currently know, do you tech savvy guys believe there is any feasible way that he could be correct or are his arguments just damage control?

He's going to continue to spin anyway he can. Sorry but it is what it is. Not going around the block with this when some of us have contact with people in the know. It almost makes me cringe talking about this to some people.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Dammit, someone already spoiled how those crazy people at Misterx's blog would spin it.

That landshark guy that posts here (and posted the video of the Xbone setting up and shit) posts there heavily and believes all that junk....laff.

That's you secret sauce right there - saying a 40% performance difference will be mitigated by great architecture choices on MSes side and not so great choices on Sony's sounds like secret sauce to me.

Which is the perfect kind of rumor because it can't be debunked; just one person's claim against another's. (Well, at least until mature software comes out and performance differences can be quantifiable measured.)

The problem of course will be though that the first wave of games is unlikely to dig into the nuances of either system, so none of these games will run as well as they can or take advantage of either's strengths. So we'll see this debate continue to rage, maybe for years, until something actually comes out that shows it one way or another.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
"Perf differences are greatly overstated"

I wonder what the basis of this statement is, and by that I mean, besides pure speculation that is.

Honestly I don't know why they insist on it. It makes them look weak. Instead of moving over and change the discussion they keep bringing attention to the fact their machine, on paper, is weaker.

Kyon

Banned
I mean people that believe in dGPU are the people that think Your Body was going to be a hit and that Lotus was just around the corner.

ffffff

But seriously who would believe they were hiding this in plain sight? Screamed fake the moment the rumor came on

I'm inclined to believe the PS4 is substantially more powerful based on the spec sheets alone. Also a few brave developers dropping a hint here and there.

However, Microsoft designed a very smart console in the Xbox 360. They had foresight on many fronts when designing that console, which allowed them to update their OS over time, and add things like party chat, etc. So part of me doesn't believe Microsoft would design a console that puts them at a substantial disadvantage.

The CPU clock increase likely gives the XB1 a minor advantage in that area, and I believe it also has more memory bandwidth available to the CPU.

Skeff

edit: for reference:
source

Yea...There's going to be something a bit more specific i think. It won't be real but it will be more specific.

Bsigg12

I was getting a bunch of people asking about it, so just wanted to put it to rest.

Thank you sir. Now we can focus on games and UI. Any word on when you guys will be releasing a UI overview video? I know the leak kinda sucks since it just showed a beta version and not what we'll be using in November.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom