• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile (F2P Loot Hack 'n Slash) Open beta later this year

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
http://www.pathofexile.com/

Path of Exile is a free to play game heavily inspired by Diablo. There are multiple classes, a unique skill gem system and PVP in the game.

FAQ:

1. When will Path of Exile be released?
We haven't announced a specific release date, but we anticipate entering public closed beta in August 2011 and gradually expanding the pool of testers until we're in open beta, and then release.

2. How do I sign up for the beta?
By creating an account on the site. We will be picking beta users from the set of people who are signed up. This account also allows you to post in our forums and use community features.

3. What character classes can I play?
There are six character classes in Path of Exile, and we've currently announced five - the Marauder, the Ranger, the Witch, the Duelist and the Templar. These classes represent the attributes of strength, dexterity, intelligence, a strength/dexterity hybrid and a strength/intelligence hybrid, respectively.

4. What are attributes?
Our three attributes are strength, dexterity and intelligence. Path of Exile's character classes, items, monsters and skills (both active and passive) are designed around being aligned with some ratio of these attributes. For example, a short sword might be aligned with 50% strength/50% dexterity. This means that it would be most suitable for use by a strength, dexterity or hybrid character class. Similarly, a monster that is aligned with 100% intelligence would have its damage and armor values biased in favor of intelligence mechanics.

5. What's the difference between the character classes?
Besides the obvious aesthetic differences, the classes in Path of Exile are quite diverse. Each starts with different base attributes, and each has a specific preference for the direction of the route they'd like to take through the passive skill tree. When a Marauder picks a strength passive skill, he earns more strength than a Ranger would picking the same skill. It's still completely possible to make a Marauder with lots of dexterity, or a Ranger with plenty of intelligence, but you'll earn the largest attribute rewards by sticking with your character's preferred attribute. The game's hybrid classes won't earn as much for specializing, but are able to invest in either of their attributes without penalty.

6. What does Path of Exile cost to play?
Path of Exile is 100% free to play, for everyone, forever. Our website will allow the purchase of many in-game perks and aesthetic upgrades, but all of these are completely optional, and players can have a complete, fulfilling gaming experience without spending a penny.

7. I still don't understand how it's free to play - what's the catch?
There is no catch at all, once you download the client you are free to play for as long as you like, with no charge. The purchasable perks do not convey any gameplay benefit, but help you create a unique look for your character and its fighting style.

8. What makes Path of Exile different from other games in the Action RPG genre?
Countless things make Path of Exile different, but here is a short list of the ones we feel most set us apart.
A gritty dark fantasy setting, supporting a hostile cutthroat atmosphere.
Free to play on online servers with persistent character storage in a secure economy.
A unique active skill system that will allow any class to use any skills in the game and augment/combine them how they see fit.
A haunting fixed-perspective 3D game world, constructed with incredible attention to detail.
Deep passive skill system that eschews the mere allocation of stat points when levels are gained
Incredibly complex and sophisticated item system with literally unlimited possibilities.
A random generation system for monster loot that is dynamic and tremendously exciting.

9. What platforms are supported by the game?
Path of Exile will initially launch with support for Windows. No Mac support has been announced yet, but it's something we'll investigate after release.

10. Will you support languages other than English?
Yes, we intend to support other languages once the game has been released.

11. Are there defined roles for players, like tanking, healing and sustained damage?
While we don't have concrete defined roles for any class, there's enough customization with passive and active skills that a player can focus on one type of play. A Marauder, for example, can load up on hit point buffing skills and taunts, and a Ranger could focus purely on offensive skills. We do not intend to have a dedicated healer role.

12. What is the level cap?
A level cap of 100 is currently planned, but players will find that they level up more slowly as they gain experience. You'll need to be very high level and be very well-geared to contend with the end game content on the hardest difficulty level. These diminishing returns mean that the game doesn't suddenly end when the player hits some arbitrary point. If a player wanted, they could improve a single character for years on end.

13. I really love PvP, do you support that?
Yes! In addition to the PvE content, Path of Exile will contain many PvP elements, including random arenas, a ranking system, seasonal ladders and unique PvP item rewards. The game has a tremendously fun and rewarding PvP experience.

14. What are the hardware requirements for Path of Exile?
Path of Exile is designed to run on a huge variety of systems, from an everyday laptop to a top of the line gaming rig. Our detailed art is designed to not only look great, but also reveal additional detail as the resolution is increased to the maximum of 2560x1600. Exact system requirements will be determined closer to release.

The dev's stance on microtransactions:

Completely free to download and play. Supported by ethical microtransactions.
Path of Exile is completely free to play - no upfront costs or monthly fees are required to enjoy 100% of the game content.

To fund the development and maintenance costs of the project, we plan to let players purchase aesthetic perks for their characters such as:

Additional character animations (for example, taunts or PvP victory animations)
Dyes and item skins
Alternate spell effects
Social pets
We will also offer some optional paid services such as:

Inter-realm/inter-account character transfers
Character renaming
You’ll notice nothing in the list above confers an actual gameplay advantage.

Screenshots (omg so grimdark):

5NjfU.jpg

SfcRh.jpg

NSFW (boobies) http://i.imgur.com/zoZ7W.jpg

Gameplay video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9bAe96bMik

erragal

Danne-Danger said:
But can I play it offline?

Remember: It's only onerous DRM if it's a game people want (to pirate).

Signed up a couple weeks ago. I'm really interested in the customizable skill system. The key is whether the variety of modifications and base skills is large enough to introduce genuine build differences; also concerned that skills will be too mechanically similar to ensure they work within the framework of the modification systems.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Momo said:
2 minutes till beta invites go out!

*or at least thats what i assume the timer means :c*

It's a random drawing system. They are giving away beta invites every 5 minutes.

Momo

Banned
Bisonian said:
Probably want to toss a NSFW tag up there for those screenshots.
Dead girl boobs?

I mean, unless you work somewhere really, really wholesome it shouldn't even get a raised eyebrow.

Bisonian

Archie said:
I didn't even notice the boobies in the 3rd screenshot. Duly noted.

Thanks, game looks pretty sharp. Q4 2011/Q1 2012 is filled with these kind of games, but it seems to have found it's own niche. It's really hard to argue with F2P as well, hopefully it will get some attention. Could be a great alternative for the outraged Diablo 3 fans.

Momo said:
Dead girl boobs?

I mean, unless you work somewhere really, really wholesome it shouldn't even get a raised eyebrow.

I don't even know what to say to this, heh.

Teknoman

Momo said:
Dead girl boobs?

Well that and the whole pool of blood and severed heads thing.

adelante

Truant said:
Looks like Diablo 2 with high-res 3D models instead of sprites, proper lighting and animation.

wait
oh my GOD I THINK YOU'RE ON TO SOMETHING THERE.

=( why can't d3 have those awesome dynamic shadows =(
Anyway, my only gripe with the visuals is that the camera angle seems too close, any idea if we can bring it up higher?

Been tracking this for a long time now, especially since the DIII micro-trans announcements which cast this system in a much better light if they indeed follow through on it. I expect good things from this.

I'd intended to lend a hand in the early beta testing, but as of nowadays, I just don't know that I have it in me to do a proper audit of it all. : (

forrest

formerly nacire
Archie said:
It's a random drawing system. They are giving away beta invites every 5 minutes.

Any idea how many per 5 minutes and how many total? Signed up earlier this morning, but nothing in my mail yet. :D

This looks like fun and SO GRIMDARK so it'll be fun to while away the time before DX HR, Torchlight 2, Skyrim, D3. If I get in, that is.

TheExodu5

Banned
I really hope I get in. There still hasn't been a loot game that has been able to replicate the closed system that D2 has. Fingers crossed for this one!

Zzoram

TheExodu5 said:
I really hope I get in. There still hasn't been a loot game that has been able to replicate the closed system that D2 has. Fingers crossed for this one!

Diablo 3 will do it.

Ashodin

Game looks like what D2's successor should be. It's got that D2 gritty look, which is what fans wanted from D3 but never got.

I also signed up, should be fun!

Game looks AMAZING to play though.

Love how the light radius of your character dims when you get low on health, makes it seem like you are losing sight as you die

PatmanBegins

Neo Member
Seems almost darker than D2. I get a little bit of a Champions of Norrath feel from the design and color palette.

Which is to say, I love it (that said, I think D3's design looks phenomenal too, not seeing a reason to hate on that). Signed up for beta. Hopefully we can jump in tonight.

What's the player cap for multiplayer PVE? I'm a little disappointed with the 4-player cap in Torchlight 2 and D3.

-Mikey-

To get in you just make an account on the site right? Not taking into account the random chance of actually getting in.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kyaw said:
Has anyone actually got in yet?
Yes, they've been showing each person as they get in on the website.

-Mikey- said:
To get in you just make an account on the site right? Not taking into account the random chance of actually getting in.
Yeah, they're giving away some keys on their Twitter as well.

Door2Dawn said:
Not only does that not make sense, but it's just downright stupid. An amazing achievement.
In case you couldn't figure it out, it looks closer to what fans expected out of Diablo III than what Blizzard is actually making.

Top Bottom