• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies hitting the West [Digital Only Confirmed]

Jawmuncher

The US press release says the same thing and Capcom just confirmed digital only for both.

Fuck.

Phoenix_Despairing.gif

Edit: anyone who supports Nintendos Stone Age Digital Store and can't understand why people are upset are beyond me. If Nintendo had an account system like PSN or XBL I wouldn't even mind a digital only release.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This also seems incredibly defensive in my eyes. Do they want mainstream consumers to pick the game up and expand the series, they need to put it out at retail, only enthusiasts visit the eshop still.

Gartooth

Fucking seriously? Digital only with Nintendo's shitty services, SMH.

Still buying the game because I can't get enough Ace Attorney, but seriously what the hell it's not like the 3DS has a ton of memory on it's SD card as it is...

Sandfox

Fall this year is a surprise and if its digital only I guess I'm being forced to go with that.

Nintendo's DD services lacks an account system, instead opting to tie purchases to the hardware unit it was purchased on. If you lose your hardware or it stops working for any reason, there's no way to download your purchase on another piece of hardware.

I'm sure its a pain(I've never done it) but its possible to get your stuff back.

FSLink

Banned
VYrIL7r.jpg

:( I guess I won't be seeing a physical English version on my shelf next to the other AA games. Artwork is so nice.

That's such a bullshit argument. The supposed benefits of going digital-only is that you couldn't lose your games. But lo and behold, Nintendo found a way to make your games inexplicably tied to the hardware, making them more likely to get lost than physical editions, since they will all be in one place.

It's not that we don't trust ourselves, it's that Nintendo's online solution is completely asinine. You cannot defend this shit, and Capcom should know better.

With the way Nintendo handles these things, AA fans will be rebuying Ace Attorney 5 every time a new Nintendo console comes out.

i agree.

and i went through several console versions and handhelds throughout my gaming life.

this hardware tied games are bullshit and limits everyone .

Cactus

Banned
I really wanted a physical copy...

We have a company like Gaijinworks distributing a PSP game in 2013 that less than 3,000 people actually want and still managing to turn a profit, while cheap-ass fucking Capcom can't even offer a physical package for an Ace Attorney game.

Oh well.

Sendou

If you're willing to jump through the hoops that Nintendo's set in place for you to recover things (like getting a police report for something you lost, not got stolen) or are willing to shell out the money to fix that same piece of hardware rather than just getting a new one, then sure, you can get your games back.

Only hoop I'm aware of is contacting Nintendo with proof of purchase. Is it different in the NA? I mean that sounds only barely legal.

thefro

You know, I wonder if THAT'S the reason it's getting digital only. It's the kind of game you'd play, beat, and trade in. This might be to beat the used game market, not because of any kind of worry about its sales at retail.

I think you nailed it there... not much replay value to these games.

Fucking seriously? Digital only with Nintendo's shitty services, SMH.

Still buying the game because I can't get enough Ace Attorney, but seriously what the hell it's not like the 3DS has a ton of memory on it's SD card as it is...

there's a lot to complain about regarding nintendo's dd but having upgradable sd card slots is not one of them

Can someone explain why the economics don't justify a retail release, when a fair number of Japanese niche titles for 3DS/Vita that will sell even less are still getting retail releases?
And there are already niche titles selling out routinely too (Fire Emblem, MH3U, etc). If anything it seems like there's more healthy consumer demand for physical Japanesey games than retailers/publishers are willing to commit?

We have a company like Gaijinworks distributing a PSP game in 2013 that less than 3,000 people actually want and still managing to turn a profit, while cheap-ass fucking Capcom can't even offer a physical package for an Ace Attorney game.

Oh well.

Remember the tiny production runs they kept doing for the first PW because they just couldn't believe that the demand was so high?

New platform, old Capcom. I'll bet they are underestimating demand.

Vamphuntr

It's cool that the game is coming quickly but digital only is a huge downer. And to think some people were expecting the LE from Capcom Japan's web store, ouch.

I guess it also uses a bigger cart since it apparently has a lot of voice acting and cutscenes (well the Japanese version).

Weird that games like Project X Zone can get a retail release but not this.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
VYrIL7r.jpg

:( I guess I won't be seeing a physical English version on my shelf next to the other AA games. Artwork is so nice.

Hey maybe they'll re-release it in Japan with the english script just like the third ga--OH RIGHT THE 3DS ISN'T REGION FREE.

wrowa

Capcom is actually publishing this instead of Nintendo.

That doesn't really answer his questions, since stuff like Code of Princess isn't being published by Nintendo either. :p

It does strike me as a strange move, kinda. I thought the previous Phoenix Wright games sold decent at least? They've been no huge hits, but I think each sold at least >50k in the US? It surprises me that Capcom does this move without a decently popular game, even though other companies release games that should be selling much less at retail.

I guess they think most of the people who are interested in AA (which is a pretty hardcore bunch), are willing to buy a digital version, so that they aren't losing a lot of sales by not being present at retail while having less of an inventory risk and a higher margin?

Zoibie

Before this announcement, buying the game was going to be a no-brainer. Now I'm not so sure. Why would you have to make this difficult Capcom?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So if they're cutting costs, who knows if the translation will even be good? Do we know who's localizing?

TrueBlue

I guess that confirns that Sam Riegel is taking over as Nick's voice.

A lil bummed about DD only, but ecstatic for Autumn release.

Nyoro SF

I have a binder with all the Ace Attorney games... and this will be the first one that won't have its place... :(

I'll still buy it, but I am disappointed as a collector of the series.

Marcel

This move is probably killing the series in the west.

As much as I like the series, it was barely alive in the first place. Digital only isn't going to somehow push it one way or another. Physical releases are costly, especially for miserly companies like Capcom.

Rhapsody

Banned
Disappointed in digital only. Can't really put it with my other bought AA games.

Thrilled to hear it's for fall this year though.

Oh well.

Weird that games like Project X Zone can get a retail release but not this.

This...so effin' much.

upandaway

When when when when when when when

Bummer it's digital only, and as ridiculous as the lack of unified account is, I'm gonna play AA5 and no one can stop me.

this game is one of the few i'd be willing to buy day 1, full price. sans digital...

.....do we (fans of AA_) make alot of noise usually?

i really want to change CAPCOM's mind.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That doesn't really answer his questions, since stuff like Code of Princess isn't being published by Nintendo either. :p

It does strike me as a strange move, kinda. I thought the previous Phoenix Wright games sold decent at least? They've been no huge hits, but I think each sold at least >50k in the US? It surprises me that Capcom does this move without a decently popular game, even though other companies release games that should be selling much less at retail.

I guess they think most of the people who are interested in AA (which is a pretty hardcore bunch), are willing to buy a digital version, so that they aren't losing a lot of sales by not being present at retail while having less of an inventory risk and a higher margin?

Right, I think their size is the issue.

They're not small enough to where they find every sale worthwhile like an XSEED, but they're not big enough to be a secure title to release at retail.

They must have run business models and determined this made the most sense for them.

Square Enix for example also only releases their PC titles digitally in North America. If they were localizing Bravely Default themselves, they might go the same route, but Nintendo is so they're actually making a retail release (to our knowledge).

Well, I'd think it'd sell better at retail than Virtue's Last Reward, EOIV, Soul Hackers, Hakuoki, and Valhalla Knights 3, at the very least.
Quite true, but the super niche audience for those titles might care more about a physical release, which is why the pre-orders also often have extra physical goodies.

Top Bottom