• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Design Flaw with Nintendo Switch Joy-Con

Crayon

I have a friend who removed the actual cloth strap portion of the wrist strap and it makes a HUGE difference. It has the most satisfying click on and off with what feels like the exact right amount of required force. I'm probably going to do it to mine this week. It is seriously night and day.

That's interesting. Maybe the strap interferes with the latch. It does run right through there....

gogogow

I spent ages trying to get them off for fear of breaking something. This thread prompted me to look up what other's have been saying and I ended up on Nintendo's support site. I found this part interesting:

This must be true, but I had no idea! I need to try this, I'm hoping they'll be easier to remove with more leverage and the full use of both my hands.

Just tried this and it's a lot easier to remove.

I've used them all of twice because of how difficult they were to remove. I put them on correctly as well as unlocking them and pushing the button on the back of each. They're just hard to remove.

At this point I'm used to using the Joycon's without them when I use them detached from the Switch.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I don't mind this, honestly, it's a little stiff but not like impossible to remove.

What I do hate are the buttons on this thing. They have way too much travel and they feel loose in their sockets. So usually I just use the joycons naked.

Dremorak

Banned
My left one goes on fine and comes off when I want it to, the right one always gives me trouble tho for some reason

PeterGAF

Banned
You sure you didn't put it in upside down?
Even if you put them on the right way they're hard to remove. It might get easier after you "break it in" with more use though. My Joy-Cons were actually pretty tough to remove from the Switch itself at first but after the first day it was much easier

Cuburt

They aren't as easy as taking them on and off the console, but besides putting them on wrong or forgetting to lock them, I wouldn't call it a design flaw.

I could see how being able to put them on the wrong way, which seems like the "right way" when you consider that the Joycon slide onto the console in that direction, seems like a easy way people can mess that up.

Like it's been mentioned at the launch, just use something flat like a screwdriver to push down the tabs that lock the rail if you put it on the wrong way. It's the sort of mistake you're more likely to do once when you don't realize how they are supposed to work.

I do think Nintendo was overly cautious with the locks since if someone let go while flailing their arms around, the closed top of the rail would prevent it from shooting off and in fact, the friction from the rails should be enough to keep it safe but I guess the Wii remote horror stories got Nintendo shook af.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
You guys know there is a release button that needs to be pressed while sliding them off right?

Cuburt

You guys know there is a release button that needs to be pressed while sliding them off right?

Actually the release button doesn't need to be pressed at all.

Nintendo says as long as the tab at the bottom is set to unlock, you can just slide them apart.

PrinceKee

I just tried mine earlier today and they are unnecessarily hard to take off. After hearing all the horror stories I made sure to put them on correctly, but they're still hard to get off. I can see people damaging their joy-cons taking them on and off repeatedly and I think Nintendo needs to fix them and send everyone new straps. Because the joy-cons come off the system and the grip easily...

Jubbe

Sounds like really poor design.

I still feel for that poor kid on launch day that put his on (backwards? seems they can go on the wrong way easily) and he made a youtube video asking how to get it off.

I've put it on the wrong way numerous times and don't think it is any harder to get off than when it is put on properly. Having said that, it is quite difficult to get off normally

HoodWinked

probably because they knew people wouldn't use the locking latch to secure the strap they needed it to stay on even when its unlatched so they're not liable for thrown joycons.

Shengar

From that video which shows how easy it is to remove the straps actually kinda proved otherwise.

I don't know, but there's already big +- sign on either side of the strap and considering there's + or - button on the joycon, I can't be sure it was Nintendo fault for not having more explicit manual or just the customer being dumb.

HoodWinked

another thing that i thought of is maybe the reason that the joycon strap has this flaw is because the piece is reversible and it makes it much more difficult to design it in a way where it would work on mirrored objects.

if there was a specific Left strap and a right strap it would probably be much easier to design it to be idiot proof.

My left joycon strap is very difficult to take off. I also think the triggers could be better. Sometimes they don't register when I press them on the strap

rekameohs

Banned
Seeing how quickly Nintendo made a new design of Wiimote straps to somewhat counter the "throwing the controller" issues, I wouldn't be surprised to see a revamped Joy-Con strap soon.

I put them on once, CORRECTLY and i found them difficult to remove. And yes, they were unlocked.

Put them back in the plastic and threw them in a drawer afterward.

Cyanity

Banned
I've put the straps on wrong a couple times now and have never had much of a problem removing them. You just have to pull kind of hard, which I guess might be why some people just give up on it instead of doing something that they think might break the controller (even though it won't)

edit - the grips get noticeably easier to remove after a few uses btw

KyleCross

In regards to the actual straps that you tie around your wrist; how do you remove them? That's the first thing I did with the Wiimote. I'm not a child, I don't want these things dangling in the way.

Gradly

I guess I tried to put them on twice and it was terrible experience to remove the things afterwards. Not gonna do it again. Actually I'm not a fan of all those parts that need docking/undocking constantly cuz at one point things will fall apart or become loose

I believe its a design flaw, it shouldn't be so difficult to get them off. I've put them on (correctly) and released them twice now with so much difficulty that I have no intention of ever putting them back on.

Due to my disability I struggle sometimes with tight lids and the such, the joycon strap attachment even when aligned correctly is a pain in the ass to remove. I can sometimes get one and very rarely both of them off.

Crayon

I believe its a design flaw, it shouldn't be so difficult to get them off. I've put them on (correctly) and released them twice now with so much difficulty that I have no intention of ever putting them back on.

Three of the four times I put mine on, it was because I wanted to see if they were really as hard as I remember to take off. Last time I learned to wiggle them a bit as I pull and that helps.

duckroll

The wrists straps are garbage. I had to use them twice for 1-2 Switch stuff and both times I felt like my Joycons were going to break when I removed them. Never using them again until Nintendo comes up with revised straps which actually slide out like they should. Worst Nintendo accessory make ever.

I remember when I first complained about this in a thread and some people tried to convince me that my straps were defective instead. Lmao. Guess not!

Crayon

The wrists straps are garbage. I had to use them twice for 1-2 Switch stuff and both times I felt like my Joycons were going to break when I removed them. Never using them again until Nintendo comes up with revised straps which actually slide out like they should. Worst Nintendo accessory make ever.

I remember when I first complained about this in a thread and some people tried to convince me that my straps were defective instead. Lmao. Guess not!

They seem to work for at least some people. Which would seem to make them mostly defective. Actual disappointment for me, too. I really like the idea of a little this to fill out the single joycon and make it into a cute mini controller.

duckroll

They seem to work for at least some people. Which would seem to make them mostly defective. Actual disappointment for me, too. I really like the idea of a little this to fill out the single joycon and make it into a cute mini controller.

I'll believe it when I see it. Considering how rampant the complains are, it seems more likely that some people are just able to use more force to remove the straps without feeling any concern about accidentally damaging the Joycons. :p

Garou

I'll believe it when I see it. Considering how rampant the complains are, it seems more likely that some people are just able to use more force to remove the straps without feeling any concern about accidentally damaging the Joycons. :p

I think a lot of people are oblivious to the lock-switches and try to put them on/take them off in locked state.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does it matter if you attach them bottom first or top first? Mine were difficult to remove yesterday on my first attempt - made sure the +/- signs matched up but they still took a lot of effort to get off. And when they do come off they both suddenly released which hurt my fingers against the metal rails

It's like there is a lot of resistance just at first. The wrist strap comes out of the same hole that the lock latch is in - could that be stopping the lock from fully unlocking?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think a lot of people are oblivious to the lock-switches and try to put them on/take them off in locked state.

Some people? Sure. But there are plenty in this thread who are unlocking them correctly and putting them on correctly and *still* having issues removing them.

Does suggest some problem either with the design or he manufacture

syeefoo

Neo Member
One of my grip sticks like there is always 3-seconds glue on it, the other is smooth in removing, tight in locking. So I go ahead to try to unscrew and screw back the super-tight grip, and it fix my problem (so far so good throughout 10++ times of attach/detaching them throughout last week).

-shadow-

Both that came with my system are terrible. They really get stuck and they refuse to let go. It's bizarre and it really demand a lot of effort and pulling power to let go. I haven't used them since the first time since. I rather have slightly uncomfortable controllers than potentially breaking that railing system.

The joy con connection groove in the console is the same as the groove in the straps but you put the joy cons through the bottom of the straps vs the top of the Switch. The latch on the joy cons is slanted on the bottom and solid on the top. So yes, it's designed so that you don't need to press the button to slide the joy con downward but you need to press it sliding up. The flaw of putting the straps on backwards is definitely real though.

Top Bottom