• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

aku:jiki

That Monster World compilation looks AWESOME! It's pretty nostalgic for me, not because I actually played them as a kid but because I liked the look of them so much and was so jealous of friends who "had sega." Day zero!

Also wish Sine Mora was delayed... That Konami sale has me drowning in good games!

Why is Shoot Many Robots so damn blurry? Is this some sort of aesthetic choice? It's like N64-bad.
Because they wanted it to have a soft, cartoony feel? I think it looks good. Quite like the game too, though they get massive minus points for cutting and pasting so much.

That Monster World compilation looks AWESOME! It's pretty nostalgic for me, not because I actually played them as a kid but because I liked the look of them so much and was so jealous of friends who "had sega." Day zero!

Also wish Sine Mora was delayed... That Konami sale has me drowning in good games!

Because they wanted it to have a soft, cartoony feel? I think it looks good. Quite like the game too, though they get massive minus points for cutting and pasting so much.

Maybe it's cause I'm playing on a 40+ inch screen, but it looks horrible to me. Game itself was kinda fun. Like Contra as a loot game (in the same way Castlevania HD is to regular Castlevania).

CTE

Any Defenders of Ardania impressions?

Here's Shoe's take on it.

I’ve reviewed around 800 games in my lifetime, and rarely has one so completely obliterated my will to play it through. Yes, I’ve reviewed some legendary duds — Mortal Kombat Advance (Game Boy Advance) and Superman 64 (Nintendo 64) come to mind — but in twisted way, I enjoyed playing those in that “so bad they’re good” sort of way.

Defenders of Ardania is so bad, it’s bad — and I don’t make that statement lightly. It’s filled with idiotic design decisions and gameplay imbalance. I had an utterly miserable time with it, and I never, ever want to touch it again. You can find plenty of infinitely better options, like the aforementioned Comet Crash, Defense Grid: The Awakening (Xbox Live Arcade, PC), Dungeon Defenders (multiple platforms), or sitting on your ass and doing absolutely nothing.

But hey, I’ll try to be an objective reviewer here for every type of gamer imaginable. So for those of you who enjoy “games that don’t blow up my Xbox 360,” these handful of points are for you. Score: 13/100

http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/15/defenders-of-ardania-review/

Now, maybe it's not his style of game, but it sounds like a nightmare even if you don't normally agree with his(Shoe) opinion.

Gaspode_T

Wow Shoot Many Robots is very fun...I read it described as Metal Slug meets Borderlands but that undersells the games 'grind factor' which you will hate or love depending on whether you liked games like Borderlands or Torchlight.

I was kind of shocked to see the 'nuts' sold as IAP, I guess it's becoming more and more common to do this even on consoles, sigh..

Besides that, the game seems pretty easy to get upgrades on your own and if you have people to play with it would probably be even more fun. Anyway, it's totally like the devs were fans of Borderlands and I think the graphics are pretty nice. Rooting for a small team - hope it gets legs, I am 2,900 on the leaderboard for first level playing tonight....

Here's Shoe's take on it.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/15/defenders-of-ardania-review/

Now, maybe it's not his style of game, but it sounds like a nightmare even if you don't normally agree with his(Shoe) opinion.

Based on my own experience with the trial, it sounds like he's just bad. His big complaint is that all his attackers died, but the reason for that was that he allowed his opponent to build too many towers. Since it's not pure tower defence, you've not only got to build your own towers to attack but you've also got to build them in a way that prevents your opponent building them, and he seems to have missed that aspect.

He's trying to play it as if it's Defence Grid, but it's not.

I'm not paying 1,200 points for it because it was very slow and I can see it getting boring, but I'd definitely take that review with a pinch of salt. I thought it was alright aside from the pace.

Shoot Many Robots seems pretty fun, but it's hard to recommend when Hard Corps is cheaper than it this week.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Is Aero-Coss ever coming out? Achievements leaked May, officially announced in June and since then nothing.

Namco have at least changed the game page on their site to 2012 but it's so annoying how so many XBLA games get announced so early then just vanish off the face of the earth.

Aero-Cross at least had gameplay. Sounds like they were all ready to go. Maybe I'll bug Namco on Twitter.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Finally tried the "Shoot Many Robots" trial... pretty fun game! The controls are just classically-themed, but they're not really bad in the slightest. Seems like a fun game, loads of content with all the leveling and new items, and I felt like enemies died in a good amount of time, for a game that also has co-op/level ups. Seems pretty well-balanced.

Anyone heard anything about "Skulls of the Shogun" ever getting a release date?

The game is apparently going to be on Windows 8, across their phone, tablet, and XBLA around Win8's release time. So it seems like this Autumn / Fall. :(

Their offices also apparently were flooded recently, so they 've moved to some close by office space for now. A trailer was apprently in the works, showing some new features (as of March 1st), but that hasn't appeared yet. A 10 year Square-Enix vet also recently joined them. So, uhhh... at least something's happening!

-----

And since I was wonderfing about it myself, Awesomenauts release update:

Their facebook Page said:
Ok guys. We feel like we have a little explaining to do. A lot of you have been asking about the release date.

The truth is we have been horribly naive when we announced we would release in 2011. We underestimated how long the last phase of development (consisting of quality assurance, ironing out the last bugs, and Xbox and Playstation tech checks) takes.

The annoying part about this phase is that you don't know beforehand how long it will take. So we know as much as you guys about a definitive release date. As soon as we do know a definitive release date, we'll share it with you.

Rest assured though, we ARE in the final stretch. The game runs really well, and we think it's a blast to play. Its looking like it'll be early May, but we'll have a bells and whistles announcement for that when we know for sure. We are waiting as eagerly as you guys. Can't wait to play against the world.

http://www.facebook.com/Awesomenauts

aku:jiki

Shoot Many Robots seems pretty fun, but it's hard to recommend when Hard Corps is cheaper than it this week.
I don't know, man. HC is the better game, sure, but while HC wants to stomp out your pride and devour your soul, SMR is a much more relaxed affair. Different strokes. I'd never recommend HC to casual friends, but they'd probably like SMR.

Gaspode_T said:
I was kind of shocked to see the 'nuts' sold as IAP, I guess it's becoming more and more common to do this even on consoles, sigh..
Buying nuts is basically just a "hey if you're stupid and impatient enough to do this and give us money..." Once you get into the game, money completely stops being a problem. I'm constantly rolling with like 700k even though I keep buying stuff I don't really need just to play around with it.

Weapon IAPs on the other hand... The unlock system is so bad that I actually caved on that. I got stuck in a situation where normal/hard can't drop better weapons anymore, and I couldn't even get past the first two levels on insane to try to get more drops there. Kind of an impossible situation they created there, probably on purpose. :/

Wazzim

Banned
So I found this weird Japanese shooter on the European Xbox Live, the description is totally in Japanese and so is the DLC. Anyone know what it is? (I already bought it but I have to download the Alan Wake AN DLC first)

Here is a picture of it:
dL8Uul.jpg

Wazzim

Banned
Thank you guys, really weird that the EU XBLA has the JPN version and description lol.
Game looks like it was worth the 800 points :)

Does anyone have the full version of Leedmees? I really like the style and the demo was fun, but I wonder how it is later on. Does it still remain fun when the levels get harder or is the Kinect just a bit too rubbish, making it all a bit frustrating?

Do you guys think they should add a list view for your game library? Similar to the one from before? I think it will be easier and more consistent to view games especially when you have a lot.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Wrecked: Revenge Revisited should be out next week. It's from the dudes what made Micro Machines V4 and Mashed. No top down racer has topped MM64 yet but they've come the closest. Looking forward to it.

Wrecked: Revenge Revisited should be out next week. It's from the dudes what made Micro Machines V4 and Mashed. No top down racer has topped MM64 yet but they've come the closest. Looking forward to it.

Wrecked is looking great, even has Polar Wharf! :D

I was looking forward to it until I found out it only had six tracks.

Doesn't really matter though, you only need one amazing track and you're set. ie the aforementioned Polar Wharf.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I was looking forward to it until I found out it only had six tracks.
I think the important thing is that at least one of them is a Polar Wharf remake.

If the mechanics are good they can always add more content. Otherwise, it's not gonna matter if there's 6 tracks or 60.

Vert boil

DOTW

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
--Way too many to list.

Bioshock 2
--Minerva's Den - 400msp (was 800)
--Protector Trials - 200msp (was 400)
--Rapture Metro - 400msp (was 800)
--Sinclair Solutions Tester pack - 200msp (was 400msp)
Some tat reduced as well.

----

Homefront
--The Rock map pack - 200msp (was 400)

Red Faction: Armageddom
--Path to War - 280msp (was 560)

Saints Row 2
--Corporate Warfare - 280msp (was 560)
--Ultor Exposed - 280msp (was 560)

You Don't know Jack
--Jack pack 1 - 200msp (was 400)
--Jack pack 2 - 200msp (was 400)
--Jack pack 3 - 200msp (was 400)
--Jack pack 4 - 200msp (was 400)

----

Apples to Apples - 400msp (was 800)
--A Bushel of Fun - 120msp (was 240)
Costume Quest - 600msp (was 1200)
--Grubbins on Ice - 200msp (was 400)
Stacking - 600msp (was 1200)
--The Lost Hobo King - 200msp (was 400)
Voltron - 400msp (was 800)

Warhammer 40k: Killteam - 400msp (was 800) Might be up for another week or it's a XBLDB error.

Some random tat reduced as well - http://xbldb.com/offer-history/price-changes

Gaspode_T

If you like adventure games it doesn't get that much better than Stacking, I also enjoyed playing on big screen because of the little details here and there (and lots of small characters ...). Resist the urge to cheat with that one because there is no penalty for using the hint system and the way the hint system is set up gives you time to think before asking for another hint. I saw some reviewers say they beat it in a few hours which is total BS to me, I took my time and it must have taken me almost 10, I got stuck looking for certain things and would take a break from the game for a while.

Seems like I missed out on the Konami stuff from last week, but they're still up. What's the general consensus on Puddle and Zombie Apocalypse 2?

see5harp

Do you guys think they should add a list view for your game library? Similar to the one from before? I think it will be easier and more consistent to view games especially when you have a lot.

Yes, I think you should be able to change the view once you get into the "view all games" sub menu. I don't mind metro for the overarching theme for the dashboard but much like windows explorer or finder on OSX I'd like to be able to display the collection in multiple ways. I also feel that you should be able to filter the download history like iOS into apps and games that have been purchased but aren't on the device.

Vert boil

http://majornelson.com/2012/03/20/content-coming-soon-to-the-xbox-live-marketplace-5/

Latest coming content posted. Some racing games and a limited GoD sale next week.

Picked up hobo king and waiting to hear about the Amalur DLC.

Missed the post. /me tips hat to see5harp.

Guide button>Games panel>Quickplay>All.
But it takes a long time to load for me.

see5harp

http://majornelson.com/2012/03/20/content-coming-soon-to-the-xbox-live-marketplace-5/

Latest coming content posted. Some racing games and a limited GoD sale next week.

Picked up hobo king and waiting to hear about the Amalur DLC.

Missed the post. /me tips hat to see5harp.

Guide button>Games panel>Quickplay>All.
But it takes a long time to load for me.

Yea I know you can do it that way, I use the guide for basically everything. I just want something full screen with little icons. I'm sure they'll be in a better position to do this stuff next gen which is really when I expect stuff like that to improve.

Wow, Joe Danger: Special Edition dropped quick too. Glad I waited.

Would love Tales of Vesperia to be in the GoD sale, as I want to pick that up, but not for the current price

see5harp

Buying Joe Danger for sure, even if I don't ever play it. I already 100% the PS3 version and I'd like to see the new content.

Buying Joe Danger for sure, even if I don't ever play it. I already 100% the PS3 version and I'd like to see the new content.

The new content is pretty cool, and challenging. I had a lot of fun finishing it, even after having previously played a lot of the PS3 version.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Wow, Joe Danger: Special Edition dropped quick too. Glad I waited.

Would love Tales of Vesperia to be in the GoD sale, as I want to pick that up, but not for the current price

Its appearance on Games on Demand really dropped the retail market prices, but it's worth the 45 I payed for it last year.

What kind of gameplay is Joe Danger? I thought it was just on motorcycles and stuff. Is that not the case?

Part racing and part platformer, although there is a high-score medal based part to it too. Developers said they were influcnced by Sonic the Hedgehog.

The demo offers a good cross section of the game.

UraMallas

Part racing and part platformer, although there is a high-score medal based part to it too. Developers said they were influcnced by Sonic the Hedgehog.

The demo offers a good cross section of the game.

I don't even need to check if it's part racing and part platforming. The box cover (I know, I know) made me think it was Trials HD lite, or something. I'm in for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom