• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT9| The Return of the Queen

Laiza

Guys, he can't revoke marriage equality. The supreme court decision can only be struck down by another court case that gets that high in the chain, and even then it would require new facts that would warrant consideration. It's not going anywhere.

I'd be more concerned about job discrimination and, as a transgender person, stupid bathroom bills and other such idiotic nonsense instead. Also healthcare. Healthcare is confirmed fucked for at least another four years.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Guys, he can't revoke marriage equality. The supreme court decision can only be struck down by another court case that gets that high in the chain, and even then it would require new facts that would warrant consideration. It's not going anywhere.

I'd be more concerned about job discrimination and, as a transgender person, stupid bathroom bills and other such idiotic nonsense instead. Also healthcare. Healthcare is confirmed fucked for at least another four years.
They seriously could make new laws and and they will own the Supreme Court. Marriage Equality is gone, and are any LGBT rights. Obamacare is gone as well, which means insurance companies don't have to support pre-existing conditions so Trangender people cannot get their hormones. Minorities are screwed for years until we can get a Democrat congress, senate and Supreme Court...so in 20-30 years time we may get our rights back. We are all old and damaged and a lot of us have suffered and probably committed suicide.

What pisses me off most is that she won the popular vote.

I feel so embarrassed because I had been telling everyone for months that she had it in the bag.
I've been saying it since 2012...yesterday was one of the worst days of my life. I lost faith in humanity.

I feel so embarrassed because I had been telling everyone for months that she had it in the bag.

DOWN

Banned

For real, same. She got the popular vote

Every prediction by the reputable sources had her locked in. Even the unstable 538 had her like 35 points ahead on Election Day.

Turns out people who wanted him to win were afraid to talk to the polls because of the stigma of his rhetoric that they secretly agreed with

Glad we are up for peaceful transition, and I hope we all get a good president

So many white women voted for him too, it really just comes down to lowkey racist people it seems.

edit: annnnd about 46% of people didn't vote
wonder how it feels to not have voted and be in this situation now lol, you can only say "it wasn't my decision, they brought this upon themselves" before it starts affect you too

umop_3pisdn, dude. If you are planning some Bhuddist retreat in Tibet or wherever sometime soon I might be on board haha

I really need to collect myself.

Nope, sorry, I'm off that shit now and hopping straight onto the opium train. Someone/something, please make me forget.

Real reply: read this .pdf, and good luck to you.

DOWN

Banned
My family voted for Trump and my dad is trying to text me about how this is good for the future but I'm not in the mood. I think it's gross that insulting vets, disabled, women, and minorities was an acceptable way to convince straight white America that Trump has the real Americans' interests at heart and allowed him to seize the future at all.

It seems like Trump was able to capitalize on America's stereotypical impression of itself. It seems more like a lot of (supposedly) reasonable people were willing to sacrifice a lot of things to that idol.

The win is ultimately an emotionally-reactive one, in response to a loss of something (the American identity) that never really existed in the first place... which makes it really reminiscent of the Brexit thing. Hopefully our collective memory of the 40s is still strong enough that at the threat of fascism we wince at some remembered pain of what can and did happen, because we're a world-village now.

My family voted for Trump and my dad is trying to text me about how this is good for the future but I'm not in the mood. I think it's gross that insulting vets, disabled, women, and minorities was an acceptable way to convince straight white America that Trump has the real Americans' interests at heart and allowed him to seize the future at all.
Straight white males were liking his victory speech talking about unity and I almost wanted to throw up

Bladenic

Except he didn't just convince straight white america. His minority numbers were higher than Romney's. Women practically voted for him in droves. I guess the moral here is being a huge asshole really does work in terms of making you popular and successful lmao

I'm not even an American and I can't remember the last time I've felt this rudderless due to something happening in the public sphere.

If I wasn't already stone cold sober and wide awake for the previous 9 hours, I would have been going into work today

And of course it's the one day I have a double shift, so. Going back in a few hours.

We all just didn't talk. Any attempt at comfort was stifled at best, done while looking at the floor at worst. Eye contact would have just made the tears flow again

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Hearing your nephew say homophobic shit in front of you supporting Trump it simply destroyed my already weak spirits. I wanna leave this place.

yepyepyep

I'm not even an American and I can't remember the last time I've felt this rudderless due to something happening in the public sphere.

I know. I'm not American either but today while I was teaching I just felt unnerved throughout the day. Trump literally pandered to every base level of hate, division and ignorance and it worked. It makes you lose faith in humanity in some ways...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
RURAL WHITE PEOPLE.

gave enough of a shit to get out and vote for the candidate they believed in

unlike 46% of the rest of the country who couldn't be bothered to vote one way or the other

1Jm881d.gif

DOWN

Banned
I think less of a couple of people I had long election discussions with about who they would vote for as they told me their issues they were voting based on, who then didn't even vote.

Fuck off complaining to me about government and not even touching your local and state reps, let alone the presidency when the day actually came.

Beefy

I'm getting called a racist bigot by Trump supporters for saying white straight guys are treated better then minorities and LGBTQIA+

OrionX

*hugs everybody*

Elections always have a way of making me feel like an even bigger black sheep in my family than usual. Guess it's my fault for being born a Texan, lol.

Crayons

Banned
I want to move to a really conservative state, small town, and just be the absolute most flamboyant gay ever. My existence clearly bothers these people so just living and breathing by them would trigger them. I'd carry a gun around too in case someone tries and hate crimes my ass.

Razmos

In hospital :(
Had my tonsils removed and was only meant to be in for a few hours, but I started vomiting up blood and they had to take me back to surgery. Now I'm staying overnight on oxygen.
Finally getting to eat something after 24 hours of nothing, but if I leave my bed my blood pressure drops rapidly and I start feeling sick and faint :(

You know what pisses me off? All the posts on Facebook from pro-Trumpers hypocritically asking to "respect our president" and "our democratic process." Where the fuck was this notion for the past 8 years? It was nothing but wanking over "Not My President" Obama memes, and harping on and on about how Obama "doesn't do anything" when we had to, as a country, endure an obstructionist Congress that epitomized the total opposite of "coming together" and "respecting our president and our democratic process."

OrionX

Had my tonsils removed and was only meant to be in for a few hours, but I started vomiting up blood and they had to take me back to surgery. Now I'm staying overnight on oxygen.
Finally getting to eat something after 24 hours of nothing, but if I leave my bed my blood pressure drops rapidly and I start feeling sick and faint :(

Shit, that sounds awful. Hope you feel better soon!

Beefy

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Dany

Banned

Be safe! I hope you get better soon <3

Bladenic

You know what pisses me off? All the posts on Facebook from pro-Trumpers hypocritically asking to "respect our president" and "our democratic process." Where the fuck was this notion for the past 8 years? It was nothing but wanking over "Not My President" Obama memes, and harping on and on about how Obama "doesn't do anything" when we had to, as a country, endure an obstructionist Congress that epitomized the total opposite of "coming together" and "respecting our president and our democratic process."

That's why the part of me that is angry does not want to be the bigger and better person, because these cunts weren't. And lord fucking knows Donald Trump does not deserve respect.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
That's why the part of me that is angry does not want to be the bigger and better person, because these cunts weren't. And lord fucking knows Donald Trump does not deserve respect.

Seriously - these people were dead set again BARACK OBAMA. And now they want unity under DONALD TRUMP.

Extremely serious question because I'm tired of being so isolated:

Are there any resources for bi folks like me who aren't liberal/democrats?

The community isn't exactly welcoming to someone who believes in what I do (ancap/libertarianism) and it would be nice to find something or someone one day that can accept that I have different views and not berate me for them. It's hard to try to enter in with that looming because politics seemingly always come up in a conversation.

I bawled my eyes out last night because of the hate I was receiving for not voting due to my views. I'd just like to be able to talk plainly about the issues when they come up instead of hide them in the closet (pun intended). It's not like I need to discuss things everyday or anything like that.

Edit - Seems my notepad didn't copy all of this but the end was: Any help/thoughts are appreciated!

I'm feeling better now. I'll ride it out until we get to the "electrocute the gays" laws and then I'll bail the fuck out. Never going to forget last night though, and I won't look at some things the same ever again.

I swear to god though, if Trump somehow kicks the bucket and fucking Pence of all people becomes President I'll probably drink myself to death.

I'm feeling better now. I'll ride it out until we get to the "electrocute the gays" laws and then I'll bail the fuck out. Never going to forget last night though, and I won't look at some things the same ever again.

Considering our Vice President Elect is apparently pro conversion-therapy, "electrocute the gays" might not be an exaggeration.

yeah, I know. I wasn't exaggerating. I honestly think it's only a matter of time now.

I think at worst he'll just make those things legal (if they aren't) and probably divert some tax dollars to them. They won't be mandatory. Just horrendous for anyone that is in a position where their bigoted family members could force them to go.

Pence is just so fucking bigoted I can't even believe it. Conversion therapy despite there being no fucking evidence for it working. Opposition even to civil unions... opposition to gays serving in the military.

I know its wrong but I really wish Pence dead.

Beefy

That's not true.

WHAT'S TRUE: Mike Pence once supported the use of federal funding to treat people "seeking to change their sexual behavior."

WHAT'S FALSE: Pence never stated that he supported the use of electric shocks or "gay conversion" therapy.

"Conversion therapy" has been banned by law in five states (California, Illinois, New Jersey, Oregon, and Vermont) as well as in Washington, D.C. We contacted Pence's office seeking comment on his stance regarding the issue but have not heard back.

Republicans were hit with a similar accusation in July 2016, when their national platform included the following phrase:

We support the right of parents to determine the proper medical treatment and therapy for their minor children.

When asked whether that statement represented support for "conversion therapy," Republican National Committee chair Reince Priebus replied:

It's not in the platform.

http://www.snopes.com/mike-pence-supported-gay-conversion-therapy/

So not really a out right no

Fantastical

Death Prophet
WHAT'S TRUE: Mike Pence once supported the use of federal funding to treat people "seeking to change their sexual behavior."

WHAT'S FALSE: Pence never stated that he supported the use of electric shocks or "gay conversion" therapy.

"Conversion therapy" has been banned by law in five states (California, Illinois, New Jersey, Oregon, and Vermont) as well as in Washington, D.C. We contacted Pence's office seeking comment on his stance regarding the issue but have not heard back.

Republicans were hit with a similar accusation in July 2016, when their national platform included the following phrase:

We support the right of parents to determine the proper medical treatment and therapy for their minor children.

When asked whether that statement represented support for "conversion therapy," Republican National Committee chair Reince Priebus replied:

It's not in the platform.

http://www.snopes.com/mike-pence-supported-gay-conversion-therapy/

So not really a out right no

I just hate when people share hyperbole about this stuff. Reminds me of my uneducated right-wing friends/family. Mike Pence does support gay conversion therapy. That is bad enough.

Nero397

This was my first election, I voted Clinton but my state went red. I was horrified at the results yesterday when it was decided but now I'm just numb. My friend who also happens to be gay was more horrified than I. Personally I'm not too worried about LGBT issues unless Pence becomes president.

I actually had to tell my family I voted republican cause they're all staunch conservatives and I don't wanna put up with any shit. My grandma told me "we just saved your future!" Shut the fuck up, grandma.

Top Bottom