• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

New Massdrop X Cavalli tube hybrid amp announced.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdr...de=guest_open&referer=N8KPFW&utm_medium=email

Impressions here:

http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/massdrop-cavalli-tube-hybrid-amp.4866/

AI7B5601_copy_20170802122257.jpg

Do you think it'd be worth upgrading from the Modi 2 Uber?

Depends on what headphones you use. Something like a 650 or 800? Easily recommended.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Hmm that highlighted paragraph has me seriously intrigued:

This marks the beginning of a new line of Massdrop Made amps, DACs, and DAC/amp combos. As they're released, you'll be able to build your own stack and compare the different DAC technologies and amp topologies.

Now I want to hold off on a DAC until more of this comes to light.

LQX

Oh man, I want that CTH. I was set on getting the Jotunheim but may get this instead. That thing is big, black and beautiful and the damn power button is on the front. One of the semi reviews though said, "Massdrop even discussed future plans for this chassis - there are some great ideas on the table.", so I wonder if it might be worth waiting. What can they possibly change?

K.Jack

I'm so close to just buying the Jotunheim w/ DAC module, actually struggling to find a reason not to do it, tbh.

LQX

Pretty sure I read that Schiit themselves have said a Multibit DAC will never be an option as there is not enough space in the Jotunheim, but Schiit could change I guess.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Could anyone recommend me some good bluetooth headphones? Just started a new job where having some headphones on and listening to music to keep myself focused would be huge. That and I'm going to be trying to start going to the gym here soon, so a pair of headphones I can wear at the gym as well would be perfect. I understand bluetooth will be a drop in sound quality but my job requires me to move around and interact with a lot of devices at my desk and I've noticed my corded headphones getting in the way this week. Between that + gym, figured a good bluetooth pair would be just what I need.

I primarily listen to Metal and Jazz, with the occasional electronic thrown in for good measure. Looking for something under $150

matmanx1

I can't recommend that you guys buy from LH Labs. The customer service is horrible to non-existent. I put in a support ticket on the 4th, and haven't gotten a response.

I'm about to chalk up my GO1000 as a loss, and replace it with something else to pair with my laptop.

What's currently the best USB DAC, in the $300 USD range? Any opinions on the HA-2SE?

Whatever I buy would see use exclusively with my laptop, at home.

Modi Multibit! Seriously, it's fantastic.

New Massdrop X Cavalli tube hybrid amp announced.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdr...de=guest_open&referer=N8KPFW&utm_medium=email

Impressions here:

http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/massdrop-cavalli-tube-hybrid-amp.4866/

AI7B5601_copy_20170802122257.jpg

Depends on what headphones you use. Something like a 650 or 800? Easily recommended.

I'm intrigued. I don't need another amp but this looks like it could be a pretty great collaboration. And $250 is a very low price for an item with the Cavalli name on it. I'm pretty satisfied with my Saga / Jotumheim combo but if I were going to drop down to just one device then this would probably be it.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
Modi Multibit! Seriously, it's fantastic.
Your praise is going to start a purchase wave. Should be interesting seeing how it fits into all the setups.
I'm intrigued. I don't need another amp but this looks like it could be a pretty great collaboration. And $250 is a very low price for an item with the Cavalli name on it. I'm pretty satisfied with my Saga / Jotumheim combo but if I were going to drop down to just one device then this would probably be it.
The CTH doesn't have a DAC if that's what you're thinking. I guess you're talking about going from a pre-amp+amp to a single amp though.

matmanx1

Versus just going big on the Jotunheim?

The DAC in the Jot is a good one, it's an AKM chip that is well regarded. But it's not going to keep up with the Modi Multibit. The Jot with the DAC is for folks who just want a well rounded package in one box. Modi Multibit + Jot (or your choice of amp, like the Massdrop Cavalli) would be better but how much better depends on the rest of your gear and your preferences.

LQX

Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) is live.
Estimated ship date is Feb 27, 2018 PT.

Ugh, I want this but that is a mighty long loan and wait. Think I will stick to getting the Jotunheim. They really need to get handle on this crap as they charge you way in advance.

X-Frame

Ugh, I want this but that is a mighty long loan and wait. Think I will stick to getting the Jotunheim. They really need to get handle on this crap as they charge you way in advance.

Holy moly. I was somewhat interested but no way not anymore.

EDIT: I also don't understand why they put the MSRP as $500. Is this going to ever be sold anywhere for $500? It's a Massdrop manufacturered product no? It's regular price is $250, that's not a sale. Or am I off base here?

matmanx1

Phwaor.

These massdrop shipdates lmao.

I'm gonna pass for now.

That ship date is downright irritating. I'm still interested though. It's not like my Saga + Jotunheim is letting me down currently although I am curious to see whether or not the CTH could potentially replace both at a much lower price point. From what I gather from superbestaudiofriends the CTH could very well do just that which would net me more than $500 that I could use for something else early next year.

matmanx1

Follow up to my previous post: I'm hearing that the ship date is a "worst case" and that Massdrop is being extremely cautious with this one to make sure that they have plenty of time to test and QA each one. I'm hopeful we'll be seeing the CTH sooner than the February 18 estimated date (although how much sooner is anyone's guess).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
All the more reason to wait for the second drop.

Faster shipment from payment, the qa process would be more streamlined and also you get to have more impressions if it's actually good or not.

matmanx1

All the more reason to wait for the second drop.

Faster shipment from payment, the qa process would be more streamlined and also you get to have more impressions if it's actually good or not.

That's a valid argument. But I trust the opinions of the folks over at SBAF and they are pretty unanimous that it is good and punches way about its pricepoint. I think for most folks it will come down to synergy with other gear as the CTH suffers no fools when it comes to dishonest treble (like with a Sabre based DAC).

matmanx1

Do you want that tone for a tube amp though? Why not just go solid state at that point?

Is this question addressed to me? And I'm not sure what you mean by tone. By all accounts the CTH is transparent and neutral but with a touch of tube warmth and tube harmonics both of which are things that no solid state amp can do.

A good hybrid amp should play nicely with many different types of phones, have low or no audible noise (both strengths of solid state design) but also provide pleasing second order harmonic distortion (which is what elevates great tube amps above most solid state offerings).

The more neutral and transparent an amp is the more you will be able to pick out problems in your gear chain. Sabre DAC's are known to sometimes have harsh or nasty treble and there will be no hiding that with the CTH whereas something like my current Sagaheim setup would probably gloss over it somewhat.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ah alright, I thought you were saying that the CTH sounded neutral and transparent without that tube distortion.

Also changing the tube also changes the sound.

Headphone GAF.
I need thoughts on the sennheiser HD 600s.
In particular talk to me about bass and comfort.
I own the 598s and those are the most comfy cans I've owned to date.
Do they match or exceed that comfort level?

X-Frame

Can the Pinnacle P1's be driven sufficiently out of an iPhone 6 Plus?

My brother is looking for IEM's that are very comfortable and more neutral and I know the P1's are highly recommended, but harder to drive than most IEM's.

K.Jack

/Dekoni Premium Pads for Fostex just had another drop go live.

I'm going velour.
I recently got an Apple Watch and I like listening music from it.

What are good bluetooth headphones?

I am thinking of the Jaybirds X3.

Here's an up to date list with your best options.

Headphone GAF.

Good opinions here.

Can the Pinnacle P1's be driven sufficiently out of an iPhone 6 Plus?

My brother is looking for IEM's that are very comfortable and more neutral and I know the P1's are highly recommended, but harder to drive than most IEM's.

I've been told an iPhone SE barely gets by, but I don't know if it and the 6 Plus have the same hardware.

They need to be amped to sound their best, but I don't say that to mean it'd be a waste.

So I got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880s today as my first cans ever (previously used Astro A50s for basically everything) and while I don't yet have my Monoprice DAC thingy yet my first impression is not amazing. The volume is pretty low, barely any bass and pretty much nothing special soundwise from my previous headset. Will the DAC really improve things enough to get amazing sound or is this relatively what I can expect from them?

K.Jack

So I got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880s today as my first cans ever (previously used Astro A50s for basically everything) and while I don't yet have my Monoprice DAC thingy yet my first impression is not amazing. The volume is pretty low, barely any bass and pretty much nothing special soundwise from my previous headset. Will the DAC really improve things enough to get amazing sound or is this relatively what I can expect from them?

Into what are they plugged right now?

Ashhong

/Dekoni Premium Pads for Fostex just had another drop go live.

I'm going velour.

Here's an up to date list with your best options.

Good opinions here.

I've been told an iPhone SE barely gets by, but I don't know if it and the 6 Plus have the same hardware.

They need to be amped to sound their best, but I don't say that to mean it'd be a waste.

Damn, the 600/650 have shallow cups with no angled drivers? My ears stick straight out like dumbo so this might be an issue. Hope I can still enjoy my HD6xx

Well, yeah, any DAC will be an improvement over plugging into the motherboard.

My question was how much of an improvement. :p Just not really sure what to expect here. If it's just a slight improvement I'll probably return everything because it's pretty underwhelming right now.

Heel

Best Buy is having a sale on some bluetooth headphones.

Sony XB950B1 - $99.99
Sony XB950N1 - $124.99 (adds noise cancelling)

How are these? YouTube reviewers seem to like them and people were asking, so thought I'd share.

Headphone GAF.

Bass levels are about the same. Much cleaner and transparent on the 600 though. Really just a all around step up, IF you run it with a well matched dac/amp. The 650 may be more appealing if your wanting just a smidge more bass.

My question was how much of an improvement. :p Just not really sure what to expect here. If it's just a slight improvement I'll probably return everything because it's pretty underwhelming right now.

Which dt800 model? The 32, 250 and 600 ohm versions all have subtle differences. The 600 is the best and also has the least treble (but still a lot). The dt880 line is rather cold and thin sounding unless running out of a warm source, so it's not surprising you find them underwhelming. If your running the 600 ohm from your motherboard, they are woefully underpowered.

Bass levels are about the same. Much cleaner and transparent on the 600 though. Really just a all around step up, IF you run it with a well matched dac/amp. The 650 may be more appealing if your wanting just a smidge more bass.

Which dt800 model? The 32, 250 and 600 ohm versions all have subtle differences. The 600 is the best and also has the least treble (but still a lot). The dt880 line is rather cold and thin sounding unless running out of a warm source, so it's not surprising you find them underwhelming. If your running the 600 ohm from your motherboard, they are woefully underpowered.
600ohm model. I've got a Monoprice DAC/Amp combo coming in the mail so hopefully that will do the trick.

Pterion

Is there a speakers thread? I just got a Sonos play:3 and I have the play:5 ordered. Enjoying the play:3 so far. Thinking about ordering a naim mu-so but I will see how the play:5 performs when hooked to a play:3.

HiResDes

Is there a speakers thread? I just got a Sonos play:3 and I have the play:5 ordered. Enjoying the play:3 so far. Thinking about ordering a naim mu-so but I will see how the play:5 performs when hooked to a play:3.
No but their should that's where a majority of my money goes these days.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member

Into what are they plugged right now?

My computer, MOBO is Z170a Gaming M5.

Well, yeah, any DAC will be an improvement over plugging into the motherboard.

600ohm model. I've got a Monoprice DAC/Amp combo coming in the mail so hopefully that will do the trick.

Holy shit, no wonder, yeah you're not driving them anywhere near their potential... Of course they sound impressive.
Holy hell. The dt880s do way more than what you're getting currently. You're going to need amping for those to sound right. Link the Monoprice DAC, if you would. It might not be able to fully power those either.

In my pre-600 ohm experience, a cheaper portable DAC/amp like a Fiio E07K did the job for improving audio and playing at the right volume to anything I had. I picked up a 600 ohm dt990 and that was no longer the case. Up the volume to power the headphones? Clipping, muted bass, and harshening treble. Up the gain instead? Same issue.

I bought a dedicated amp, Schiit Magni 2, to go with it. With the Magni 2 in the chain I've been able to pin down the problem to the Fiio, likely its built-in amp. Up the Fiio volume and lower the Magni 2 and the sound changes & clipping show up consistently with all of my headphones. I have to have the Magni 2 maxed on high gain and adjust the Fiio as low as I can accept to minimize its amp's flaws at higher volumes.

In related news, I finally have a Schiit Modi Multibit on the way and I'm pretty excited for the line out and what should be a significant upgrade in sound. Oh, and nearly identical right angle adapters from QVS and KK Cable don't sound the same. The KK Cable adapters negatively color the sound. Made me glad that I had the QVS and a normal rca cable to compare to and catch it.

K.Jack

I did end up buying the Jotunheim, and I added the internal DAC module. As much as I wanted to go with the Modi Multibit as well, my current bedroom living space is much more built to just have the amp and DAC in one unit. Less cables and less chance of a child tripping over a cable and yanking part of the stack off the table.

I did enough research on the dual AK4490 DACs to be confident that they are good chips.

I'm going to wait and see if Schiit ever adds an multibit option for the Jot, I'll be fine until then. If not, I can always buy a Modi Multi in the future.

It's arriving on Tuesday, which is conveniently my day off work. Can't freaking wait.

I did end up buying the Jotunheim, and I added the internal DAC module. As much as I wanted to go with the Modi Multibit as well, my current bedroom living space is much more built to just have the amp and DAC in one unit. Less cables and less chance of a child tripping over a cable and yanking part of the stack off the table.

I did enough research on the dual AK4490 DACs to be confident that they are good chips.

I'm going to wait and see if Schiit ever adds an multibit option for the Jot, I'll be fine until then. If not, I can always buy a Modi Multi in the future.

It's arriving on Tuesday, which is conveniently my day off work. Can't freaking wait.

Mike has stated more than once that a multibit module for the Jot is not happening. Doesn't have near the required space and would need a completely new chassis for the Jot.

Top Bottom