• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian woman calls 911, shot dead by responding police in Minneapolis

I am hoping something societal-wise could come of this but nothing will change in the US.

RIP to her, this is terrible. If she gets smeared in the US news and these cops get off, then the average white citizen better wake the hell up when it comes to police worship.
If it isn't already an international incident, that will make it one.

shira

Releasing safety/pulling trigger results in turning on all nearby bodycameras needs to happen.

This is ridiculous.

Well now...

How will Fox News spin this one?

She doesn't look like she has the dehumanising stare at all

Family will be painted as anti-American.

The victim was anti-gun, the son said "America sucks." Those two facts will be latched onto very forcefully. In addition, if she ever voiced support for BLM or similar groups, refugees, or any other liberal cause, they'll use that as evidence she was anti-cop.

Then, they'll say that she was a left-wing loony who was frustrated with the police, she made some sort of threatening motion when she was near the officers, and the shooter heroically took her down to save his endangered partner.

Most cops are decent, but I doubt we'll see any decency on display here.

Fred-87

wow i was curious. In UK from 2000 untill 2017 43 people were killed by police. In USA in 2012 alone 608. Didnt knew it was that much a difference.

Sulik2

Wait the partner shot across from the driver in the car to shoot her at the window? Something weird going on here.

Hari Seldon

Yeah this sounds like accidental discharge if these reports are true. I can't imagine his partner is going to be too happy about a bullet being shot right by him. In the army if you have an accidental discharge you are in deep fucking shit.

when I was a kid, it was considered normal to walk up to cop car for help or wave down a cop car.

but in the US it seems that walking up to cop car for help will cost you your life

the US has a serious ass problem

bionic77

Family will be painted as anti-American.

The victim was anti-gun, the son said "America sucks." Those two facts will be latched onto very forcefully. In addition, if she ever voiced support for BLM or similar groups, refugees, or any other liberal cause, they'll use that as evidence she was anti-cop.

Then, they'll say that she was a left-wing loony who was frustrated with the police, she made some sort of threatening motion when she was near the officers, and the shooter heroically took her down to save his endangered partner.

Most cops are decent, but I doubt we'll see any decency on display here.
They just won't cover it much.

Instead they will focus on how out of touch liberals are or how bad Hillary and Obummer are.

Fox doesn't try to discredit everything. Instead they just let stuff that they don't like get buried by the stuff they feel is important to their propaganda.

Which is a very smart strategy. The facts and science have had a very disgusting liberal bias recently so it is just best to ignore it and focus on bullshit.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Why are so many American police officers so eager to pull out their guns?

Surely they're trained to use firearms in extreme circumstances only?

Nope.
Any small amount of fear and shoot to kill.

And you will not be charged or convicted.

I'll say it again.
Take the guns away from cops. They cant use them responsibly

F34R

Here is the Policy and Procedure handbook information for Equipment and Supplies; specifically section 4-223 Body Worn Cameras (6/29/16)

Here is the entire section for the Equipment and Supplies. It's very detailed and has a lot of information for car cams, personal cams, etc. Read through the entire thing if you're interested as it is extremely relevant to this situation.
CLICK LINK

It's lengthy, but here is the Officer Responsibilities for BWC (Body Worn Camera).

IV. PROCEDURES/ RULES/ REGULATIONS

A. Officer Responsibilities

1. Officers assigned a BWC shall use it in accordance with MPD training, MPD policies, and the manufacturer's recommendations.
2. Officers shall wear the BWC in accordance with MPD training, using mounting equipment provided by the Department. Any alterations to the prescribed use of this equipment must be approved by the BWC coordinator or head of the Business Technology Unit (BTU).
3. Officers shall complete department authorized training in the use and operation of the BWCs prior to being assigned a BWC.
4. Officers shall wear the BWC during their shift at all times when they could reasonably anticipate that they may become involved in a situation for which activation is appropriate in accordance with this policy.
5. Officers shall conduct a BWC equipment check to ensure that equipment is working properly at the beginning of their shift and periodically throughout the shift.
6. Officers shall notify their immediate supervisor as soon as practical of any missing, damaged, or malfunctioning BWC equipment.
7. Officers experiencing a loss of battery power shall remove themselves from service and take immediate steps to charge their BWC. Officers shall notify their supervisor and Minneapolis Emergency Communications Center (MECC) upon removing themselves from service.
8. Officers shall notify their immediate supervisor of any recorded event believed to be of value for administrative review.
9. Officers shall upload all BWC digital data at the conclusion of their shift by placing their BWC in the assigned docking stations or utilizing other department approved uploading procedures.
a. Officers shall classify recorded events as appropriate, based on the options available under the classification and storage software.
b. This classification should be done shortly after the recorded incident is concluded, but must be done prior to upload at the end of the officer's shift.
c. The following classification options will be used:
Category Retention Period

· Training 90 Days
· Test/Start Checks 1 Year
· Petty Misdemeanor 1 Year
· Non-Evidentiary/General Recording 1 Year
· Any Arrest or Misdemeanor Citation 7 Years
· Use of Force 7 Years
· Significant Event Until Manually Deleted/Indefinite Retention (Minimum of 7 years)
· Pending Review Retained until otherwise classified under above categories

10. Officers equipped with a BWC and are operating a squad car equipped with Mobile Video Recording (MVR) equipment shall activate the MVR equipment as required by policy and shall also activate the BWC in compliance with this policy.
11. Officers wearing a BWC are not required to wear an MVR microphone.
12. When feasible, officers are encouraged to inform members of the public that they are being recorded.
a. If asked, officers should inform those inquiring that audio-video recording equipment is in use, unless doing so would be unsafe for officer or members of the public.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
US police sounds like such an incompetent bunch in a lot of shooting stories.

Worst thing about it? There's no reasonable punishment for their actions.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
America needs police reform now. You should never be reaching for a lethal weapon unless it's a last resort, there are other ways of dealing with situations.

commedieu

Banned
US police sounds like such an incompetent bunch in a lot of shooting stories.

Worst thing about it? There's no reasonable punishment for their actions.

That's why the "good cops" don't matter. They can execute people as well, and get away with it because there's no reasonable punishment for the whole body.

I'd commend them for doing their jobs, but that's what they are supposed to do. Troops on the other hand, actually risking their lives to keep peace get all praise. We lose about 140 cops a year. Most to car accidents and heart attacks. Yet they by large act like life is out to get them at every turn. They should be shooting at burgers. Based on the data.

LiK

They should automatically be fired and charged for not having their body cameras on and shooting an innocent person without warning. Fucking morons. Read this last night and it was infuriating.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I get that this stuff is tragic and terrible but you probably have a greater chance of being struck by lightning than being shot by a police officer.

You know, I keep seeing this.

Sure, getting struck by lightning is rare, but you know what? Who goes out during a lightning storm?

I honestly don't blame him for never wanting to go to the US when there are so many other places to go and have an even lower chance of being murdered by police and no justice actually being served.

HariKari

Minnesota newspaper The Star Tribune reports Ms Damond was dressed in her pyjamas when she went to the driver’s side door of the police vehicle that responded to the emergency call.
She was talking to the driver when the officer in the passenger seat pulled out his gun and shot across his fellow officer.

Sounds like straight up murder and they're going to try and cover it up.

rjinaz

America needs police reform now. You should never be reaching for a lethal weapon unless it's a last resort, there are other ways of dealing with situations.

They do. But most Americans offer their unconditional support for police officers. They are above reproach, they are above the law. They are heroes and can do no wrong so whatever happened, had to happen that way. They will come up with all sorts of reasons why somebody had to die. Americans by and large are conditioned to just shut off their brains when it comes to police, allowing no critical thinking at all. It seems new laws are coming out monthly that are designed not to protect the American people, but to protect police officers from the American people and the judges and the system pass them through gleefully like it's their patriotic duty.

This makes change near impossible.

Dorygrant

Seems kinda random they would have the ability to turn on and off their body cams. Like I thought the point was the monitor them 24/7 lol

But who can you call in danger? It's a scary thought

Photo of victim. RIP.

1004163849+justine.jpg

From Minneapolis. Currently live in the suburbs. My wife and I are thinking of moving to this area of the city. We were looking at a home a few blocks from this shooting a week ago. It's definitely going to give us pause.

If America is a crime novel, the group of characters that has most "plot armor" would the police officers, it's interesting to see a police officer pit against a hot, white woman, who also has pretty thick plot armor.

With her being Australian, I can see this gaining traction. Remember the Indian grandfather who was body slammed and left disabled?

Depends on if tje Australian government decides to make a big deal out if it. Seems so far they aren't...

The Strib story was updated a short while ago.

No new details about the incident, but it's good to see the community rally around the issue of police violence:

Leslie Redmond of the Minneapolis NAACP said she and other members of the NAACP who attended “stand in solidarity with the family.”

Nekima Levy-Pounds, one of three mayoral candidates who attended, said, “I hope and pray this is a wake-up call for the community to stop being divided by race and socioeconomic status ... for treating everybody with respect.”

Earlier Sunday, someone drew colorful chalk hearts on the driveway pad where Damond was shot, adding names of others, including Jamar Clark and Philando Castile, who were fatally shot by police. A few hours later, Hannah, an artist, added “Live in love not fear” to the drawings.

Also, damn, she was going to get married just next month and was already using her fiance's last name professionally.

With her being Australian, I can see this gaining traction. Remember the Indian grandfather who was body slammed and left disabled?

Depends on if tje Australian government decides to make a big deal out if it. Seems so far they aren't...

Might get attention but little justice if that story is anything to go by

Rktk

I went to bed last night having seen this thread and it was on my mind at breakfast. I hope that the Australian government apply as much pressure as possible.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Seems kinda random they would have the ability to turn on and off their body cams. Like I thought the point was the monitor them 24/7 lol

But who can you call in danger? It's a scary thought

I would assume they want the ability to turn the camera off when they are using the restroom or accessing area that demand confidentiality or forbidden recodings.

Saganator

I went to bed last night having seen this thread and it was on my mind at breakfast. I hope that the Australian government apply as much pressure as possible.

Ban all Americans from entering Australia until America can get their police terrorism problem figured out.

low-G

Nope.
Any small amount of fear and shoot to kill.

And you will not be charged or convicted.

I'll say it again.
Take the guns away from cops. They cant use them responsibly

If a cop shots someone, just sentence them like you would a civilian, strip their privileges under law. That would solve all these problems.

We American's had stories about what people were willing to paint as the government sanctioned murder of a citizen who had returned from NK after being detained. If we try to ignore, bury or make a single effort to excuse this, Australia is justified in calling us a country of hypocrites. Not that the US hasn't already proven the embarrassing state of gun control but also interaction between law enforcement and citizens

I love the twin cities and we are generally safe and friendly. But damn it this is out of hand! I know it's always an issue and I was equally (if not more) upset over Philando, but the frequency and blatant disregard is really disheartening.

I'm sure the officer "feared for his life".

Can't wait until it's confirmed that she had THC in her system and therefore deserved to die.

Well on the bright side, maybe now that this victim is a white woman, and a citizen of another country at that, maybe it's a good time for some sweeping legislation to be enacted to stop cops from killing people.

If it isn't already an international incident, that will make it one.

Some Alabama cops severely injured an Indian citizen grandpa and nothing happened. Cops got off as usual and the international community quickly dropped it after it happened initially.

It's a sad situation in the US. Police are above the law.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Shockingly it looks like it got a blurb. It's too major of a story for them to just outright not mention it. The comments section associated with it is the usual Fox News toilet.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/1...e-after-calling-to-report-possible-crime.html

This one is directly related to the news story at least:

conservogop
3 minutes ago

This is how all DEMS should be handled but not descent Americans.

then it points out the REAL problem for some reason I guess?

libsliealot2
2 minutes ago

Obama he's spending that wall street speaking tour money on new jet skis and mansions and you libs he's got plenty of jobs for you cleaning his mansion toilets or mowing his grass (the yard kind not his recreational kind)  He sure did a lot for Blacks....oh wait nothing

I had never looked at Fox news comments before but my goodness it makes Youtube sound like the debate room at King's College.

Top Bottom