• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keiji Inafune leaves Capcom, Jun Takeuchi Takes Over [Update 2: Ono On Impact P#446]

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Vinci said:
Weren't Inafune's comments about the Japanese industry predominantly from prior to XIV launching though? I mean, given that timeline, Stump discussing XII makes perfect sense.
It was an example brought up by Nessus himself to show how regressive he also feels Japanese developers are these days, I don't think it was supposed to connect chronologically with Inafune's comments to that extent.

(This is a funny derail.)

Neo C.

slaughterking said:
How unexpected. From this interview it seems his talk about big budget, westernized games had a lot to do with the pressure he felt from the higher ups, but he himself would actually like to find his success with games on a smaller scale.
Yup, big budget games are probably quite stressful to handle.

Mael

Vinci said:
How far away from Capcom's headquarters is Nintendo's, out of curiosity? If he wants massive mainstream and worldwide appeal, he should probably have been paying more attention to what others in his own country were doing and not play the easier and logically spotty - "The West has got this all figured out!"

This is especially funny when you consider that the best selling rpg this year and well....this gen is actually Japanese, the best selling racing game is japanese too...
And the best selling sports game is Japanese too...
I mean yeah if you forget the successful 800pounds elephant in the room you could come to his conclusion (which is even more crappy considering that his former company has VERY close ties to said 800pounds elephant).

Seriously it's like he lived in his bubble while making his statements.
Heck he couldn't even revive the franchise he was in charge of properly!

[Nintex]

What the fuck, now who will run Capcom's R&D department?

Let me guess, Takeuchi orange weakspots on Dr. Wily's ass incoming...
I guess Inafune's midlife crisis won in the end.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Does this... does this mean Capcom will stop making shitty games in an attempt to "westernize" them and make good games like a proper Biohazard 5 now? *eyes light up*

TheSeks said:
Does this... does this mean Capcom will stop making shitty games in an attempt to "westernize" them and make good games like a proper Biohazard 5 now? *eyes light up*
I don't know about Westernizing, but no, Capcom will not stop making shitty games, unless it counts as 'stopping' if they instead outsource the making of shitty games to external studios.

Smart man. Run the company to the ground and jump ship when it's about to sink. Poor Capcom. Hope they'll survive all the crap left behind from Inafking.

Azure J

Mikami, Kamiya and now Inafune... WTF is happening to Capcom? :'(

Who do they have left now, Takeuchi, Ono, Kobayashi and Shu Takumi? There's gonna be a lot of revolution internally now.

jett

D-Member
Cow Mengde said:
Smart man. Run the company to the ground and jump ship when it's about to sink. Poor Capcom. Hope they'll survive all the crap left behind from Inafking.

Without that useless guy in charge Capcom has nowhere to look but up.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
21261ac.jpg

jett

D-Member
AzureJericho said:
Mikami, Kamiya and now Inafune... WTF is happening to Capcom? :'(

Who do they have left now, Takeuchi, Ono, Kobayashi and Shu Takumi? There's gonna be a lot of revolution internally now.

Comparing Inafune to Mikami and Kamiya...FAIL.

Jintor said:
Take a peek at his resume of projects and come back and say that
I should have said in this day and age, coz he has all these years of Japanese video gaming industry expertise and all.

PS. Being a megaman whore (forced or otherwise) doesn't make it any better.

JohngPR

Seems like a bit of people are down on him, but he did bring us a lot of good games over the years, directly and indirectly. If he was really that unhappy however, it was his time to leave.

Kittonwy

Banned
Luigiv said:
They still have Ryozo Tsujimoto but that's about it. Everyone else who made Capcom, Capcom has left now.]

He did. He commented the other week about how he hated his job.

He probably wanted to start his own company and thought he could make big money.

Azure J

jett said:
Comparing Inafune to Mikami and Kamiya...FAIL.

Admittedly, he's like the Yuji Naka to their Ooshima & Yasuhara. Still for all though, the guy has a legacy and without him, Legends 3 couldn't get green lighted, so he has that much respect from me.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Some people are jokingly suggesting that he's leaving because his MML3 design finished last.

Isn't it more likely that the design was piss-poor because he's sick and tired of his job?

jett

D-Member
Easy_D said:
Some people are jokingly suggesting that he's leaving because his MML3 design finished last.

Isn't it more likely that the design was piss-poor because he's sick and tired of his job?

Or maybe it's piss-poor because it's simply piss-poor.

entremet

Sad day at Capcom. Can't hate the dude that was involved with MM2 and Dead Rising 1, two of my favorite games ever.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
badcrumble said:
I don't know about Westernizing, but no, Capcom will not stop making shitty games, unless it counts as 'stopping' if they instead outsource the making of shitty games to external studios.

Wasn't Inafune the reason they started to outsource in the first place?

I partially blame him for the whole "westernizing" angle Capcom has been going on for the past five years now.

Coxswain

BishopLamont said:
I should have said in this day and age, coz he has all these years of Japanese video gaming industry expertise and all.
It still doesn't make sense to say that because even if you just count the last few years, every game that he's publically and visibly been closely attached to has gone on to do well and even if you just kind of blanket-attribute Capcom's entire HD output to him and him alone you're talking about like six or seven very clear successes versus three failures.

Edit: This makes all those weird pissy interviews make a lot of sense in retrospect. If I was that frustrated I'd probably just be scattershot-bitching about whatever comes to mind without really thinking about whether it made sense or I genuinely believed it.

lupinko

Fujiwara is currently freelance iirc, capcom could just bring him back. I mean after many years gone he came back just to make ugng and oversee bcr. Only to leave again to design madworld at platinum.

"Work as a CEO requires speaking about your dreams and evaluating your subordinates. If you can do these two things, anyone can be CEO. I've always thought that, and I still do. However, I can no longer do these two at Daletto. I've lost the authority to evaluate my subordinates and the qualification to speak about my dreams."

"There was a chance that I could continue to be Capcom's power. I bet on that chance until the end. The means of both Capcom and myself to be happy. That was surely possible. However, now that chance is completely closed off."

To me it seems like, he was stripped off any big decision making power and he would rather quit.

jett

D-Member
MirageDwarf said:
To me it seems like, he was stripped off any big decision making power and he would rather quit.

It's how japanese companies "fire" you, they end up forcing you to quit.

Pooya

UPDATE

Jun Takeuchi replaces Inafune

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-29-keiji-inafune-quits-capcom
As of 1st November, Jun Takeuchi will take on the added responsibility of corporate officer as well as his existing deputy head of consumer games and R&D Division, and general manager of R&D production.

According to GamesIndustry.biz, Capcom's taking Inafune's depature as an opportunity to shuffle a few key staff around. Katsuhiko Ichii will become head of development organisation, and a new development management team will be headed by Nobuyuki Matsushima, Jun Takeuchi, Taichiro Genbun, Hiroyuki Kobayashi and hutaro Kobayashi.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
jett said:
Or maybe it's piss-poor because it's simply piss-poor.
I'm afraid I'll have to agree with you. That's most likely the case.
Not like he ever did any real art design right?

MCD

Guy made one of the best games this generation; Dead Rising. And future sequels are in good hands.

Thank you, Keiji Inafune and goodbye.

Top Bottom