• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Will someone link me a vid to 3/3 doing work in a pro game.

https://youtu.be/avc074x-cRk
https://youtu.be/ykghf4tH0qs
https://youtu.be/Ai-7szfyde0

Note that reunited actually countered them with 4 tanks 2 supports.

The central pillars of the snowball remains the same though. Ana builds ult by the tanks eating poke, and then rein bullies everyone until he gets earthshatter, rinse repeat.

Also reunited ran 2/2/2 on numbani which showed the comp's weakness in mobility.

Anne

What is this snowballing ults thing? The other team doesn't have them? Shouldn't the three tanks be feeding ults way more than three squishies? Genji should have Dragonblade 10 times a game against a Zarya, Hog and Rein. Same with pulse bomb. I know Ana charges fast as fuck but I don't see how a Tracer and Genji couldn't get to her if they made it a priority how hard is it to get behind three burly tanks? She can't heal them if she's dead. Or why not run a super unorthodox Ana and Zen combo and put to sleep the nano Rein and charge up Genji yourself.

I know you know more than me about this but people should get more creative before we call it a broken comp.

The fact the team doesn't die and almost always get high value out of the ults is the difference. Like yeah Genji gets more swords but like he's not killing the tanks easily with it and chaining. The supports have tanks with them as well as anti sword ults often enough to not worry about it too much.

We know a bit about this because there were similar strats happening back in beta. You aren't gonna win the first fight in time often enough to deal with Ana, then ult economy stuff starts happening. Back then it was centered around Lucio and Zen, but the idea is similar.

Right now this is getting strong very fast. It is broken outright in the sense that it creates a situation that is very far out of line for how the game is normally played. That can be fine, emergent gameplay and all that, but it is a bad look if we can't figure it out without some other crazy strat. I'm hoping some more "normal" strat ends up beating it. Maps are also an issue.

It is on the rise though and its very, very rough and oppressive when it happens. Some of the top teams are already worried or pissed off about it.

Skab

So I guess OW also suffers from the same issue HotS does in that playing on the weekends is an absolute nightmare

Anne

I must admit though, i kinda love the comp, but yeah, hopefully pros find some counterplay to it soon.

I don't love it but it is interesting. It highlights a lot of what is kinda the center of high level play as well as some of the not so great ways the systems work together.

Guy just messaged me asking if I was using a mouse.

I swear this is the third time someone has complimented me on my aim. It feels nice.

And yet I fucking suck as Widowmaker. Weird.

You have really good aim, I watched your game on QP in Lijiang and you were wrecking the other team with D.Va
without mech lol

Today was a nice day, I finally got a winning streak (5 games) playing mostly Soldier. I also win more SR (~30) when I play dps/tank instead of support (besides Zenyatta) and lose less SR (~20) if I don't win the game. I wonder if it's because of the medals.

The last match I played today on Hollywood was very funny, I had two mistakes that led my team to be wiped out twice lol. Thankfully we still won.

Tovarisc

Yea but we only had 1 healer, me on Zarya and another DPS. After the point fell they didn't switch.

Having those 3 initial picks do require at least Rein, maybe Zarya and strong solo healer like Mercy or Ana. Done that first choke defense few times with such somewhat wonky line up. Sucks it didn't work out for you and double shitty not to switch heroes to fit following up segments of map.

edit:
Not really, mostly focus on the DPS or tanks or Fraggie when he gets boosted.

Spectating supports make for dull viewer experience I guess

AcAnchoa

Why a team that has got to 2-0 on a KOTH map suddenly decides to stop contesting the point is beyond me. Angriest and most stupid defeat of the season.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think it shows the weaknesses of the ult system more than anything.

Hmm, is it mostly through the ways and methods ult charge is built?

What do you guys say if I wanna learn to main Hanzo next.

Prepare for a lot of bitching.

It's gotten to the point where I'll more often than not go "hey, at least let the guy have a go first before asking them to change"

What do you guys say if I wanna learn to main Hanzo next.
Just turn team chat off and you won't have to worry about a thing. I've played Hanzo a good bit and this fixes all the issues. Most of the people I've run into are jerks anyways, so it's all good.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
OT5 Wall o' Shame!

ot5_wallofshame0dqcl.png
wh-How did I even make it on the list

Stop playing him wrong then :p

Oh I still love to play as him and still do firestrike and charge but the large majority of playing him in my experience involves holding up the force barrier

a reckless rein usually gets killed very quickly and isn't as helpful to the rest of the team

Okay, just had the weirdest damn thing happen in competitive play.

We absolutely stomp on Attack on Eichenwald, 3 to nothing. I had been playing Lucio on Attack, and switch to Mercy for defense. As I'm running to the point alongside our Zarya, something seems off. I look around and see a Zarya, a Reaper... and no one else. I check the stats screen, and everyone else has locked in their teams, but... none of the other players are there.

And as the match goes on, it's fairly obvious that the other team is having similar issues. I only counted three among their numbers, too. After the first respawn, the Reaper on our team just stops moving and doesn't budge again until the match is over. So it's just me and Zarya against three enemies, no idea what happened to the other players.

Despite both of us switching to Lucio and Tracer at the end, we can't manage to hold them off 2v3, and it goes 3 to 3. I had had chat turned off, so I have no idea how the other person was even reacting to this, but I guess at some point we decided to say "fuck it, this match is messed up anyway" and picked Torbjorn and Symmetra when we rolled to defense again. And amazingly, we actually held them off. But despite our best efforts, the enemy team picking Torbjorn, Bastion, and Reinhardt was enough to hold us off on Attack (I would have picked Pharah to try and hit the distant turret, but she was one of the characters that our departed teammates had picked, and was still locked up), and it ended as a 3-3 draw.

And on the end screen with our team, it just showed me and the other player, not even any spots for the other folks who vanished. Weirdest damn match I've ever had.

Hmm, wonder if that might have caused what I was seeing. Figured it had to be something on the network end, since if all of those folks had dropped it would have notified us. Still, weird that the match didn't stop once it was obvious that not everyone was there.

In solo-queue plat / gold comp, I've been on three teams that pull back to the second arch on Dorado defense and just cede the first half of the first CP... but the strategy never seems to pay off. It always seems like they push through us more easily than when we try to hold them at the first arch, and we've got a lot less time to get back from spawn if we get killed.

I've also never been fortunate(?) enough to have the other team do this to us when we're on attack, so I'm not quite sure how it would feel on the attack side. Has anyone had any luck with this strategy?

Play Zenyatta. Make other teams suck balls instead.

<sensible chuckle>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom