• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

I still don't know where everyone is getting this "has to be bought digitally" thing for the $30 credit, especially when we don't really know what the promo will actually be and Atlus was making such a big hoo-rah about the Club Nintendo code in the retail box.

Caelestis

Do we know if Newegg will be sending the right first printrun for this game after the ProjectXZone fiasco?
We probably won't know until we'll get burned. Hopefully they do it right with it as I've got it pre-ordered with them as well. They were good so far with other Atlus games.

That doesn't say anything about the difficulty.

Fewer difficult has proven to make titles less difficult in the past if other difficulties are not raised to compensate. Speaking of the devil...

This was one the best final bosses ever.

Some quotes:
(In the 2nd form)
"I HAVE BECOME NAKED POWER."
"CASTING OFF FORM... CASTING OFF REASON...CASTING OFF MY FUTURE."
"MY SOLE DESIRE IS TO CRUSH YOUR SPIRIT INTO ATOMS..."

And she crushes souls, over and over again.

"the results of getting +3 AGL on every other level up" more like it.

Saibastian

Neo Member
I just wish UPS wouldn't deliver shit so late, Well at least I'll be back from college and be able to hold it in my hands day of release. The anticipation is killing me.

I wonder how hard mode will work in conjunction with NG+ (assuming this title has NG+...it's sort of a tradition at this point). I wonder if you have to start over or if you can somehow apply hard mode to NG+ and still be challenged.

Saibastian

Neo Member
I wonder how hard mode will work in conjunction with NG+ (assuming this title has NG+...it's sort of a tradition at this point). I wonder if you have to start over or if you can somehow apply hard mode to NG+ and still be challenged.
Perhaps you might get a extra press turn in NG+ like in Nocturne, and maybe demons will hit harder like in Soul Hackers NG+, there a lot of possibilities at this point. But I'm sure compendium will transfer over just like all the other games.

Law/Neutral/Chaos? I'm gonna go for the Chaos route first. Hope it's good.

I went neutral first.

I REGRET NOTHING.

Edit: I do think IV is probably a little easier than Nocturne, but I also don't think Nocturne was even remotely as difficult as some people say, outside of the
Matador
fight. Even he's not that bad if you go in prepared. After that point, if you know how to play SMT properly, you're fine.

IV is similar in that sense though a bit more forgiving for a variety of reasons.

Law/Neutral/Chaos? I'm gonna go for the Chaos route first. Hope it's good.

Really hoping this game follows Nocturne's lead and gives us options outside of the Law-Chaos spectrum. I have no problem with the concepts themselves but the proponent characters tend to be obnoxious as hell. Neutral is rarely any better - usually populated by cry-babies who don't want anything to change.

Zukuu

Banned
I'm torn whether to play this or not. =/ Not seeing the characters when in battle is a huge turn off for me. I played Nocturne and somewhat liked it, but didn't finished it for some reason. I absolutely love Persona (not for the demon fusions tho).

So tell me, how are the characters and story? Any good? Sell me on the game. Neutral path intrigues me. (loved that about Witcher).

Ah I can't wait for my copy, sadly I'm in Mexico and I think it will take at least an extra week for me to get the game.

I'm torn whether to play this or not. =/ Not seeing the characters when in battle is a huge turn off for me. I played Nocturne and somewhat liked it, but didn't finished it for some reason. I absolutely love Persona (not for the demon fusions tho).

So tell me, how are the characters and story? Any good? Sell me on the game. Neutral path intrigues me. (loved that about Witcher).

you'll get used to it, don't miss on an amazing game because of that.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Probably going to go Chaos. From the cover it looks like the spiky hair guy is chaos aligned and Jonathan is law. Is Isabeau neutral?

ohlawd

I wanna get an S rank with Isabeau so I'm going with her route if she has one.

If not, I'll go with the Chaos guy. He looks legit.

hitmon

I went neutral first.

I REGRET NOTHING.

Edit: I do think IV is probably a little easier than Nocturne, but I also don't think Nocturne was even remotely as difficult as some people say, outside of the
Matador
fight. Even he's not that bad if you go in prepared. After that point, if you know how to play SMT properly, you're fine.

IV is similar in that sense though a bit more forgiving for a variety of reasons.

Do the endings require a certain difficulty to unlock them?

Li Kao

Route is determined by choices you make throughout the game.

Difficulty has no bearing on what ending you get.

And do these choices are quite evident or not ?
By nature I would tend to target neutral, but depending on how the game presents said choices, I imagine it could get tricky, no ?

And do these choices are quite evident or not ?
By nature I would tend to target neutral, but depending on how the game presents said choices, I imagine it could get tricky, no ?

I haven't played the game, but I've played most SMT games and it's usually(as in almost always) PRETTY obvious. I never check guides and I always get the ending I want.

Watashiwa

In there like swimwear, day 1 baby!!
Going thorough Nocturne right now to prepare for this game, at the rate I'm going I might finish this just in time.

You and me both, though I'm right at the edge of starting the last dungeon. Just got to go through the Fourth and Fifth kalpas to finish up.

I usually go Chaos/Neutral, Law is boring.

Law isn't boring so much as nightmarishly terrifying. I think they've got the best music in Strange Journey, and Mastema makes a fantastic intro for who he is/what he represents.

You and me both, though I'm right at the edge of starting the last dungeon. Just got to go through the Fourth and Fifth kalpas to finish up.

Law isn't boring so much as nightmarishly terrifying. I think they've got the best music in Strange Journey, and Mastema makes a fantastic intro for who he is/what he represents.

Mastema was great at showing how insane the Law route is.

The appeal of the "Reason" is entirely dependent on the appeal of its proponents, IMO. I think all of the routes hold some degree of merit, but if the characters I'm forced to align with on that path are boring then I'm not going to do it. I thought both Jimenez and Zelenin poorly represented chaos and law, respectively. On the flip side, Amane from Devil Survivor was a great advocate for law while Naoya was a great advocate for chaos. I'll honestly take whichever path I can effectively be talked into taking.

mjc

Wait...isn't that black armored chick
one of the people from Strange Journey? WTF is she doing here?

You have some degree of choice in the matter.
Either import everything about your character (levels/skills/items/compendium/database/money) or only your compendium and database. There is no way to import demons. Difficulty can be changed at any time outside of battle, it's not locked in at the start of the game.

Wrath

Neo Member
Pretty excited for this game. I've played a few MegaTen games (nocturne, sj, sh, personas), and they've all been great. This is gonna be the first time outside of SH that I get a MegaTen game on release.

On another note, one of the Destructoid writers I follow said that the 10th was when embargo gets lifted for the game.

Seda

Do I have to worry about missables in this game? (other than things near the endgame when you are 'locked' to a L/N/C path) I don't expect it to be an issue but wanted to make sure.

Fuck Mem Aleph.

Yeah seriously.

End boss spoilers from Strange Journey:
I didn't have three demons of each alignment when getting to her, since y'know the game stressed not doing that. Then she has an ability that seals away all demons of a specific alignment, requiring you to have three different types if you want to win. Well I had no choice but to fuse some new ones, and well... I just had not the time nor willpower to grind them up enough to get them strong enough to win.

Do I have to worry about missables in this game? (other than things near the endgame when you are 'locked' to a L/N/C path) I don't expect it to be an issue but wanted to make sure.

Some very minor sidequests.
At specific points of the game you will be locked out of certain areas and not be able to regain access to them. Fortunately the game makes it rather clear when those points are.
But don't worry, the rewards for those sidequests aren't that amazing anyway.

You have some degree of choice in the matter.
Either import everything about your character (levels/skills/items/compendium/database/money) or only your compendium and database. There is no way to import demons. Difficulty can be changed at any time outside of battle, it's not locked in at the start of the game.

You can carry over one demon, and that's whichever one you have pinned to your White DDS Card. I think it's the White Card. Whichever one doesn't fuse the demon.

Top Bottom