• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX One X |OT| X Gon' give it to ya

MrBenchmark

Yeah it is plugged-in to a surge protector and I have seen people discussing that the Xbox One X doesn't require one; and if that is why it shutdown like that, isn't that bad design? Why would they require us to plug-in the Xbox One separately from everything else?

Also, what do you mean when you say updated forced?

EDIT

If I recall correctly, the original Xbox One (the one with the external power supply) also had a surge protector built-in to the power supply, but that never posed a problem. I had other issues where Microsoft reps inquired about that and had me connect the system directly to an outlet but it didn't solve the main issue at the time so they just replaced it. I did connect the replacement to a surge protector and no issues.

your surge protector can not be providing clean steady power and causing instability.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/357504/microsoft-dont-use-surge-protectors-with-xbox-one-x-one-s

Anyone that has the Western Digital 8TB external easystore hard drive can help me and let me know if its NORMAL for the hard drive to constantly blink even when the XBOX ONE(Which is on instant mode) is OFF..never experienced anything like this with a hard drive before dont know if its defective or if this is normal, if its normal not sure I even want this drive cant stand being in a room with a hard drive that constantly blinks day and night

Anyone that has the Western Digital 8TB external easystore hard drive can help me and let me know if its NORMAL for the hard drive to constantly blink even when the XBOX ONE(Which is on instant mode) is OFF..never experienced anything like this with a hard drive before dont know if its defective or if this is normal, if its normal not sure I even want this drive cant stand being in a room with a hard drive that constantly blinks day and night

Depends on whether the Xbox One is writing data to it. If I am installing a game or a patch while the Xbox One is off (and in Instant On mode) then the hard drive will blink until it's done. It's just showing activity, it will also do it if you're loading something (like a MP map or a single player game).

sainraja

your surge protector can not be providing clean steady power and causing instability.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/357504/microsoft-dont-use-surge-protectors-with-xbox-one-x-one-s

This has been the case since the first Xbox One but I've had that connected to a surge protector and no issue. But, if they are insisting we don't use it, that just seems like bad design to me. I am not sure how to provide a separate free outlet for the Xbox now....ugh...

EDIT

Here is what they say on their website:

"Note We recommend plugging directly into a wall outlet--a power strip or surge protector is not necessary, as your console's power supply has internal protection built in."

Not necessary does not say to me that you can't use one...

YoshiMax

If you leave a game suspended and it’s stored on the HDD that’ll cause it. Also updates as mentioned.

Depends on whether the Xbox One is writing data to it. If I am installing a game or a patch while the Xbox One is off (and in Instant On mode) then the hard drive will blink until it's done. It's just showing activity, it will also do it if you're loading something (like a MP map or a single player game).

Im not downloading or installing anything..it just blinks non stop..all day long..and yeah its on instant on..I think Im returning this drive seems to me that its defective

Im exchanging the drive..no one can tell me that is normal..when the xbox one x is turned off(Instant on) yet the hard drive constantly blinks no way is that normal

MrBenchmark

This has been the case since the first Xbox One but I've had that connected to a surge protector and no issue. But, if they are insisting we don't use it, that just seems like bad design to me. I am not sure how to provide a separate free outlet for the Xbox now....ugh...

EDIT

"Note We recommend plugging directly into a wall outlet--a power strip or surge protector is not necessary, as your console's power supply has internal protection built in."

How old is your surge and what kind? It could have a fault I've seen a bad surge turn a pc back on after shutdown and vice versa.

All my stuff is on either a battery backup or like my home theater a power conditioner. Never had any issues every issue I've seen in my 25 years in pc and home theater setup\repair is usually cheap and or a faulty surge or outlet.

And your surge can fluctuate and trip the Xbox surge it happens.

That can be perfectly normal my WD external on my PS4 does that.

Not abnormal.

Isnt it annoying when you are in the room and you see your hard drive constantly blinking( I assume your PS4 is in rest mode otherwise I doubt the hard drive would be on there would be no power to it) is this just a WD thing because I never noticed this before with my seagate drive..would have gotten seagate again but such a high failure rate Ive had 4 seagates die on me in the past few yrs wanted to try something new

MrBenchmark

Isnt it annoying when you are in the room and you see your hard drive constantly blinking( I assume your PS4 is in rest mode otherwise I doubt the hard drive would be on there would be no power to it) is this just a WD thing because I never noticed this before with my seagate drive..would have gotten seagate again but such a high failure rate Ive had 4 seagates die on me in the past few yrs wanted to try something new
Little piece of black electrical tape :) my raid enclosure on my one blinks too that has 4-4TB WD drives since launch and no issues. My external SSD on my one the enclosure lights up on that too but it’s in a little cover.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Little piece of black electrical tape :) my raid enclosure on my one blinks too that has 4-4TB WD drives since launch and no issues. My external SSD on my one the enclosure lights up on that too but it’s in a little cover.

Yep, that’s what I do too re: the tape.

BizarroPete

Im exchanging the drive..no one can tell me that is normal..when the xbox one x is turned off(Instant on) yet the hard drive constantly blinks no way is that normal
I don't know if this has been asked yet but do you have that option that turns external drives off when the console is off, enabled?

as long as this is normal that s what matters will get the electrical tape was just so weird that this happens..mine is on instant on does the drive automatically recognize when the console is on or does it take a few seconds to load

solis74

I have several technical problems with my Xbox One X. Sometimes when I start it the menu at the top of the UI just isn't there. I have to go into an option like the my games section, back out, and it''ll appear. Worse is sometimes when I start a game I just get a black screen. I can hit the home button and back out. This actually happened within a game in Assassin's Creed Origins. I hit new game and started and got the black screen. I backed out, reset the xbox and it worked. I'd think it was a video mode issue but there's no sound, and the home button works.

Happens to me with Netflix sometimes?

Gideon_128

That's normal. I've had my 5tb WD for 2 years with no issues. The blinking light just shows that the drive has power. As long as it's not constantly spinning up, you're golden.

2 options:

.Pull the USB cable out when you go to bed.

.Or pull the power cable out.

But its weird that it constantly blinks and busy writing data, when console is on complete shut down HDD should be off.

MrBenchmark

2 options:

But its weird that it constantly blinks and busy writing data, when console is on complete shut down HDD should be off.
Some drives like most WD external will blink when system off but that doesn't mean it's writing anything.

Quote from WD support forums

logan.hWDStaffOct 23
Hello

It’s totally normal for the drive to show blinking LED when the computer is switched off. Blinking LED indicated the drive is on Standby mode

Some drives like most WD external will blink when system off but that doesn't mean it's writing anything.

Quote from WD support forums

logan.hWDStaffOct 23
Hello

It’s totally normal for the drive to show blinking LED when the computer is switched off. Blinking LED indicated the drive is on Standby mode

Right I got you, yup, standby light. I meant by that you can tell HDD is busy and constantly in work mode even though console is shut off.

If X is on insta on he will have all kinds of random downloads, patches, system updates, so its normal just have to get used to it.

MrBenchmark

Right I got you, yup, standby light. I meant by that you can tell HDD is busy and constantly in work mode even though console is shut off.

If X is on insta on he will have all kinds of random downloads, patches, system updates, so its normal just have to get used to it.
Oh yeah for sure i never minded it since system is always ready to play I've never sat thru any updates. Which is perfect i spent all day updating pc's last thing I wanna do is watch patches when it's playtime.

sainraja

How old is your surge and what kind? It could have a fault I've seen a bad surge turn a pc back on after shutdown and vice versa.

All my stuff is on either a battery backup or like my home theater a power conditioner. Never had any issues every issue I've seen in my 25 years in pc and home theater setup\repair is usually cheap and or a faulty surge or outlet.

Not that old. I got it for my new setup with PS4 Pro, Switch connected. I have now, got an extension cable with no surge and connected the X1X separately just to be on the safe side.

2 options:

the weird thing that happened is i did pull the usb cable but when I plugged it back..in the back of the console the Xbox no longer saw it..til I put it in the front usb then it did so that is why I'm exchanging it..heck if Seagate had 8tb expansion drives I'd buy one at least it would turn off :(

MrBenchmark

the weird thing that happened is i did pull the usb cable but when I plugged it back..in the back of the console the Xbox no longer saw it..til I put it in the front usb then it did so that is why I'm exchanging it..heck if Seagate had 8tb expansion drives I'd buy one at least it would turn off :(

Buy your own enclosure with a power switch and you can buy a better faster HD too. I have 4 4tb WD blacks in a raid 0 enclosure for bulk games and I move currently played games to my external SSD

Buy your own enclosure with a power switch and you can buy a better faster HD too. I have 4 4tb WD blacks in a raid 0 enclosure for bulk games and I move currently played games to my external SSD

Yeah I have no clue how to do that so I wont bother..I just want to know if it does NOT damage the drive with the constant blinking..from what I can see with other drives that are easystore and are less capacity they all do the same annoying thing so I guess I will just put electrical tape on it and deal with it just thought maybe the drive dies faster because its always blinking

It's normal that it blinks when the Xbox is off and it's very annoying

Oh..you have the same drive? So its normal as others have said here..I guess I Can put electrical tape on it but doesnt the drive die faster when its constantly blinking? And another thing, last night I did unplug it from the back of the console just to see what would happen but when I plugged it back in the xbox did NOT read it..not til I put it in the front of the console than it read it..so yeah Im exchanging this one for another one just dont want something that after a few months will die on me

Hey just got back from best buy..they did NOT have the NEBB one in stock so instead they gave me the one with the red drive, the one that was 169 on BF for the same price, even exchange..should I before installing it install that supposed software that turns off the light or screw that and just put the electrical tape over it?

I have my external HD facing away from me, so I dont see the flashing.

So I should not install any WD software that will turn off the blinking? Its totally normal and I can just put some electrical tape on it(I Already have some ready to go) I just figured maybe it blinking all the time eventually it would ruin the hard drive?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
So I should not install any WD software that will turn off the blinking? Its totally normal and I can just put some electrical tape on it(I Already have some ready to go) I just figured maybe it blinking all the time eventually it would ruin the hard drive?

Yes, dont worry about it, The blinking just means its working.
If its broke it just wont work at all.

Just sold my S... jumping in soon boys!!
You wont regret it😀

Malcolm9

I'm really debating whether to sell my Switch to pick up an X. I bought the Switch back in June, but after playing Zelda I hardly use it, plus I can pretty much get back what I paid for it due to eager Xmas buyers.

My Pro is my main console, but I kinda like the thought of being able to replay all the Halo and Gears games, as well as playing Forza 7 & Horizon 3.

It reminds me of the original Xbox, which I absolutely loved (apart from the Duke controller!), where it was the most powerful console on the market. I could pick up an S now but I feel it will be wasted on my 4k tv.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I'm really debating whether to sell my Switch to pick up an X. I bought the Switch back in June, but after playing Zelda I hardly use it, plus I can pretty much get back what I paid for it due to eager Xmas buyers.

My Pro is my main console, but I kinda like the thought of being able to replay all the Halo and Gears games, as well as playing Forza 7 & Horizon 3.

It reminds me of the original Xbox, which I absolutely loved (apart from the Duke controller!), where it was the most powerful console on the market. I could pick up an S now but I feel it will be wasted on my 4k tv.

My X is my main console I play 3rd parties on, so it makes great sense for me to have one.If my main console was my pro I dont know if I would get an X.
MS Exclusives look fantastic on the X but I wouldn't want to buy an X if it was only for the ms exclusives.
I only got a pro because I got my original pe4 cheap and I could trade it in for a pro and only spend £150 for a pro.

Malcolm9

My X is my main console I play 3rd parties on, so it makes great sense for me to have one.If my main console was my pro I dont know if I would get an X.
MS Exclusives look fantastic on the X but I wouldn't want to buy an X if it was only for the ms exclusives.
I only got a pro because I got my original pe4 cheap and I could trade it in for a pro and only spend £150 for a pro.

That is one of the reasons that is holding me back. Games already look fantastic on the Pro so am I going to benefit massively from owning the X?. Obviously some games will be native 4k, and in some games the textures will be better with the 4k texture additions, but is it really enough?

I wouldn't use it for multiplayer as everyone I know is on PS4, so it's a waste for me having both PSN & Live. Maybe when the price drops I might consider it.

Crowza

EDIT

I've had issues before with lockups, when my original XB1 was plugged into a UPS. Once I saw that on the site, I plugged it into the wall and never suffered another issue with it. I went ahead and plugged the XB1X into the wall even though I've already dumped that UPS.

I think if your surge or UPS provides steady power and you don't have issues, then it is fine. But, if you experience any issues - plug it straight into the wall or buy a better surge/UPS.

Yes, dont worry about it, The blinking just means its working.
If its broke it just wont work at all.

You wont regret it😀

Got the red hard drive from best buy last week(Exchanged the other one and got the NESB one for the same price) went into settings and removed the darn blinking lights..now Im a very happy camper

sainraja

It's not that old and it's by Belkin. I could look into a power conditioner / battery back-up solution but other devices connected to the same surge protector don't have any such issues (granted they likely don't have a surge option built-in.)

I have now connected the X1X directly to a wall outlet now after purchasing a outlet extender, so let's see.

EDIT

Has anyone had issues with their external hdd not being recognized ever so often with the Xbox One & X1X?

MrBenchmark

It's not that old and it's by Belkin. I could look into a power conditioner / battery back-up solution but other devices connected to the same surge protector don't have any such issues (granted they likely don't have a surge option built-in.)

I have now connected the X1X directly to a wall outlet now after purchasing a outlet extender, so let's see.

EDIT

Has anyone had issues with their external hdd not being recognized ever so often with the Xbox One & X1X?
I had that happen once with one brand of external enclosure switched to a different one and my SSD was fine but never with a store bought prebuilt. My mass storage is external powered me always shows up. I haven't had that happen since that one enclosure.
Funny though I put my Wii u external in that enclosure and it's never had an issue. I think maybe the controller in it didn't like my ssd.

Pantz

Help me.

I can't stop buying games for my Xbox One X. There's too many deals. I'm never going to be able to play all these.

shpankey

not an idiot
Help me.

I can't stop buying games for my Xbox One X. There's too many deals. I'm never going to be able to play all these.

I always hate that, as I find I somehow feel guilty playing one game and the need to play my other new games. I've been (trying) to focus on one or two at a time now for maximum satisfaction.

Leonidas

Does anyone know of an easy way to edit 4K videos captured from Xbox One X? My video editing software won't work properly with 4K files...

Top Bottom