• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2018 Nintendo Switch Assumptions -- please read

Good Evening,

I have a couple of questions as well, and a few assumptions. We know Octopath, Yoshi, Kirby, and FE are all coming sometime in 2018, and we know little else. So my questions are:

1) Whenever Nintendo launches their paid online service in 2018, I am assuming Nintendo will launch a new game to drive adoption of the service. I assumed that would be Smash Bros, Animal Crossing or possibly Retro's game if there is an online component to it. Do you know anything about this? I also assumed Nintendo would use a 3rd party title as well. Most likely a FPS like Overwatch, COD, Destiny or something similar. Do you have any knowledge of this?

2.) Kirby or Yoshi is slated for early 2018, I assume one will come in the first 3 months of 2018 and one later in the year as to not cannibalize each others sales. What else is coming in early 2018? I assume Fire Emblem is a March or May 2018 game, as they will not stack at same time of year with Pokemon as not to cannibalize japanese sales. Do you have any info?

3.) I've heard financial analyst state they would assume that 3rd party's are talking about "Deluxe" or "Remixed" HD ports of older games from the PS2, PS3 as well as modern day ports. Do you know anything about this?

4) Finally, have you heard anything about the online service? Will there be a proper voice chat, invite system, and other modern services at the OS level, so they are the same across all games?

5) One additional question, from other posters in this thread. With Jan 2018 only a few weeks away, Nintendo has little announced, will they avoid the Nintendo-droughts for Jan 2018 and have some 1st or 3rd party games ready for release that aren't just smaller-forget-me-not games?

Thank you for your time. Have a Happy Holidays!

TransTrender

Gold Member
1. No idea because we know little of the online service launch. You're throwing around some big 3rd party titles that aren't going to happen. That just seems foolish on your part.
2. At this point we should know what's launching in the next 3 months. Anything else is baseless speculation.
3. I haven't seen anything beyond speculation but goddamn those are some silly 3rd party titles you're throwing around.

1. No idea because we know little of the online service launch. You're throwing around some big 3rd party titles that aren't going to happen. That just seems foolish on your part.
2. At this point we should know what's launching in the next 3 months. Anything else is baseless speculation.
3. I haven't seen anything beyond speculation but goddamn those are some still 3rd party titles you're throwing around.

I was using those as an example. I do expect a BIG 3rd party FPS franchise on Switch in 2018 though.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I was using those as an example. I do expect a BIG 3rd party FPS franchise on Switch in 2018 though.
Meh, the EAs, Activisions, and Ubisofts of the world will say whatever they have to say in order to get the short term stock bump from saying whatever the vampiric share holders want to hear but I'm mostly pessimistic about their actual output on the Switch. I'm sure there will be some shitty and half assed ports and maybe a bone thrown here or there with a Modern Warfare remake or Need For Speed game but I'm guessing they'll totally misjudge the Switch market or won't put in the leg work to make a game run well on the platform. I'm actually shocked Ubisoft released Mario+Rabbids but I'm not sure if it hit whatever obscene sales target Ubisoft set for it so I'm not sure if there will be another exclusive.

Ubername

Banned
Meh, the EAs, Activisions, and Ubisofts of the world will say whatever they have to say in order to get the short term stock bump from saying whatever the vampiric share holders want to hear but I'm mostly pessimistic about their actual output on the Switch. I'm sure there will be some shitty and half assed ports and maybe a bone thrown here or there with a Modern Warfare remake or Need For Speed game but I'm guessing they'll totally misjudge the Switch market or won't put in the leg work to make a game run well on the platform. I'm actually shocked Ubisoft released Mario+Rabbids but I'm not sure if it hit whatever obscene sales target Ubisoft set for it so I'm not sure if there will be another exclusive.
I agree I think it'll be a repeat of what happened a decade ago on the wii

Mario Rabbids has exceeded expectations as far as I know.

All we know is Yoshi, Kirby, Bayo 1 and 2, and Fire Emblem (in terms of first party). Then we know Indy games like Hollow Knight, and third party games like No More Heroes. Not confirmed for 2018 (and probably unlikely) are Bayo 3, Prime 4, and Pokemon. Based on timing, there's a good shot that Retro's game will be revealed and released sometime in 2018 (November will mark 5 years since they finished Tropical Freeze). And then of course there is Pikmin 4, which they've been working on for years, and the rumored Animal Crossing for Switch, which may or may not release in 2018. In terms of the online services, we know next to nothing, and certainly nothing about any potential game it would launch with.

Shadoron

Payday 2 is also coming to Switch at some point. It's scheduled for "Winter 2017," but I could easily see that being delayed until after Nintendo's online system starts.

I’m thinking the voice chat fiasco, had caused a ripple in Nintendo which caused the delay in online services and we are just now getting to the point where they saw what people found acceptable and without saying anything (the Nintendo way) began a backpeddle and started fixing whatever they thought their original layout of the Online service would be. We haven’t seen any change to the online app since it’s inception, either it will be killed for a on the Switch alternative or its going to be overhauled altogether into something easier to work with. I remember hearing about setting game appointments with friends, and a bunch of other tools that haven’t yet come to fruition.

ehead

Is it true that the latest update fixes the joycon sensor issue?

As for expectations, I am guessing their online subscription service will have a big surprise. Maybe they might include Wii HD titles, who knows? Netflix will definitely be there by next year, and possibly Youtube.

As for games, they will release a title from their main IPs for each quarter. I sure hope so.

delete12345

To OP, given that your thread title has attracted some users, mind if you could condense yours and others' findings into a list in your starting thread?

I only know the following as of now, that may be in the rumored January Nintendo Direct (which may last up to 2018 Q1):

• Kirby
  • Yoshi
  • Bayonetta 1 + 2
  • Mega Man 1-10 Collection
  • Mega Man X 1-8 Collection
  • Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection
  • Boku no Hero Academia: One Justice
  • Detective Pikachu 3DS for Europe / NA

I left out some games out that were announced shortly, as they did mentioned it will be in late 2018, so they don't fit in with the January Nintendo Direct.

I've heard financial analyst state they would assume that 3rd party's are talking about "Deluxe" or "Remixed" HD ports of older games from the PS2, PS3 as well as modern day ports. Do you know anything about this?

That's a brilliant idea. I would give up my left breast for a HD port of Burnout Revenge or Burnout 3 and Red Alert 3 on the Switch.

Hell I would take any Burnout except for the open world crap that was Burnout Paradise. No one wants to drive around searching for events with no control over the track or event. It's just a huge waste of time.

The whole point of arcade racing is to launch the game, pick the event you want to play and the course you want to play it at, and roll out. It was never to drive around looking for missions.

Also the split screen couch co-op mode in previous Burnouts were godly.

A new Mario Kart has to be somewhere in the lineup for 2018, they'll probably release it around this time next year expecting a big pay day. I would expect nothing less than the Smash Bros treatment that the series got on the Wii U. Huge character lineup, hopefully a ton of tracks both old remakes, new courses with a steady flow of dlc.

That's a brilliant idea. I would give up my left breast for a HD port of Burnout Revenge or Burnout 3 and Red Alert 3 on the Switch.

Hell I would take any Burnout except for the open world crap that was Burnout Paradise. No one wants to drive around searching for events with no control over the track or event. It's just a huge waste of time.

The whole point of arcade racing is to launch the game, pick the event you want to play and the course you want to play it at, and roll out. It was never to drive around looking for missions.

Also the split screen couch co-op mode in previous Burnouts were godly.

Well it looks like there is a rumor is burnout paradise for Xbox and Playstation 4.

Futaleufu

I think they know exactly what the Switch market is: 80-90% first party, 10-20% third p. that everyone else has to share.

I highly doubt we will get another mario kart on the switch - at most some new dlc.

I don’t think we even get that. Nintendo will utilize Wii U ports, and it allows them to work on new IP or franchises that have received less attention. Maybe we see a actual new Fzero, Waverace, 1080 snowboarding, or some other title on Switch. It will give Nintendo the best of both worlds.

Switch has the best adoption rate since the Super Nintendo (not counting the Wii with the casual wii fit bubble gamers) and they have a healthy library of 3D titles from N64-Gamecube-Wii-WiiU that this audience has either never seen, or would buy again if presented as an HD remake or collection.

Super Mario 3D All Stars
remastered 64 and Sunshine
HD of Galaxy+2 (with new motion-less control options, and ability to select all courses from both games as a list, rather than through hub or map system)
Port of 3D World.

Smash Bros All Stars
remastered Smash 64
HD of Melee and Brawl
Port of Wii U (with option to use all characters with all locations)

You could do this with most of the Nintendo franchises, to be honest, depending on interest or fan support.

Everyone has bought Blu Ray movies of DVDs they'd already had just to have it in HD. Nintendo is sitting on the Disney Vault of video games and would be foolish to not repackage, make tons of money for no cost, and satisfy core and new gamers alike.

Not Drake

I have similar questions, but I'll wait until January Direct before I start complaining and yelling "DOOMED". That said considering how insane 2017 was I wouldn't be mad if 2018 is sort of "slower" year without big hitters like Metroid or Pokemon. I'll stick with my backlog and games like Octopath, FE and remasters of games I missed with Bayo 2 leading the pack.

Well, Dinsney bought Fox, so Nintendo may be able to buy other game companies, like Atlus.

Sega owns Altus.

I have similar questions, but I'll wait until January Direct before I start complaining and yelling "DOOMED". That said considering how insane 2017 was I wouldn't be mad if 2018 is sort of "slower" year without big hitters like Metroid or Pokemon. I'll stick with my backlog and games like Octopath, FE and remasters of games I missed with Bayo 2 leading the pack.

I'm not saying there "doomed", I just have questions about their business plan. They are fair questions to ask. I'm not sure Secrecy is the way to go about it. Without nintendo showing all the things they are working on, I think a frank and honest discussion about online services for example would be helpful.

Top Bottom