• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Burning Justice

the superior princess

Neoxon

Just got it, Tahiti is a magical place for games.

Posting impressions soon

18156872_10155224164907346_8979502736791234171_n.jpg
FTFY

KingBroly

Banned
There is 0% chance that was the reason and 100% chance it was because the game was rushed to get it out the door

I'd say MK8 is the way it is because of lot of design flaws with the Wii U and its' poor sales.

- Low Ram Speeds: 1 item
- Shitty Battle Mode: Wii U sales were horrid and they rushed it out the door

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just got a call from EB saying my copy's ready for pickup tomorrow. I'm meeting some friends for dinner tomorrow so bringing my Switch with MK8D along will be perfect.

Did they rebalance the classes? Heavies were by far the superior class in MK8 to the point picking light or medium was a disadvantage.

So my son is having friends over tomorrow. They want to play mario kart. They can't run 3 pro controllers and the 2 joycons in the grip? The last man out has to use one joy con?

If they're just playing standard split-screen local multiplayer, this is doable. The seemingly arbitrary controller limitations come up when connecting multiple Switches together (via local wireless or online).

RedEther

You have the same order status as the picture I posted? Hopefully they'll get it taken care of and it's a just a mix up in their system. Possibly the Friday release that is causing them issues as I had the same problem with the Switch launch.

Yup I preordered this on Monday and I'm still seeing no signs of the game shipping anytime soon

Is amazon down for you? I can't even check my order.

Amazon works just fine I just checked to see if anything of changed on my end and ofc nothings changed :/

chekhonte

Yup I preordered this on Monday and I'm still seeing no signs of the game shipping anytime soon

Amazon works just fine I just checked to see if anything of changed on my end and ofc nothings changed :/

Yeah, amazon came back up for me and there is no change in my order status either. It still says it will be delivered to tomorrow but that it hasn't shipped. :(

Persona7

Banned
Looks like UPS delivered my game to the post office very early and its on the truck right now. Lol. I wonder when they load the mail trucks for my typical 4PM delivery.

Yeah, amazon came back up for me and there is no change in my order status either. It still says it will be delivered to tomorrow but that it hasn't shipped. :(

Probably nothing to worry about. In two different places I've lived Amazon would never ship games until like 8-9PM the night before release, and they always arrived the next day (launch day). If it hits like 10PM and your order hasn't shipped, I'd be worried, but maybe hold off for now.

Garrett, where did you get yours from?
Physical - simplygames - £45, it arrived yesterday

Digital - ordered it from Amazon.co.jp - £42, unlocked around 4PM UK time. :)

Here is the amazon.co.jp link - https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01MTASBY4/

What I did was buy a JP gift card from amazon.co.jp, using my card & home address so it passed the address check. I put in the exact amount, ¥5812. I then waited til amazon sent me that code via email, added it to my .co.jp account, changed my address to the University of Tokyo and then bought that digital code. :)

Only issue is the waiting times probably don't make it worth it anymore - I had to wait around 3h for the gift card to approve, and another hour for the digital code to be approved.

TheGrizz

Probably nothing to worry about. In two different places I've lived Amazon would never ship games until like 8-9PM the night before release, and they always arrived the next day (launch day). If it hits like 10PM and your order hasn't shipped, I'd be worried, but maybe hold off for now.

Nothing to worry about, you probably live near a distro center. I live about 15 miles from a huge distro center and I typically don't get the shipment notification for big ticket items like this until the night before the release. I presume I'll get the Amazon notification tonight around 11pm. Worst case scenario, if you don't get it, go to a store and pick it up. There will be a TON of these in store.

Cyanity

Banned
Ugh Ugh Ugh I'm so conflicted on this game. At this point I'm inches away from ordering Mk8D and a second set of joy cons off of Amazon and calling it a day on 4 player Mario Kart 8. Would make taking MK8 to con parties a lot easier for sure....

chekhonte

That is definitely not the case for me.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
When will this go up on the North American eShop? They still doing 12pm launches for everything or will they make an exception for this?

How does unlocking work in this game for characters, parts, etc?

All characters are unlocked by default

All courses and engine sizes are unlocked by default

The Gold Mario skin for Metal Mario is unlocked via beating 200cc, all cups in first

Vehicles are unlocked by collecting coins, other than the gold car pieces, which are from beating all cups in all engine classes, beating all time trials ghosts and collecting a ton of coins (don't remember the exact amount). Unless they've changed those requirements since the Wii U version

Roo

How does unlocking work in this game for characters, parts, etc?

Characters and cups are unlocked from the start.
As for kart parts, they'll unlock by collecting coins. Unlocks are random tho.
No specific amount of coins will give you an specific part.

edit: beaten

Kinsei

Banned
Characters and cups are unlocked from the start.
As for kart parts, they'll unlock by collecting coins. Unlocks are random tho.
No specific amount of coins will give you an specific part.

Except for the gold glider which is always unlocked at 10,000 coins.

I had pre-ordered a while ago when they first went up but did the one thing I usually don't and changed payment information to a gift card a few days ago.

I've had things ship at 11PM and then arrive at 9am the next morning.

This might be the case for me as I live relatively close to a distribution center. Although they usually have things sent by at least night 2 days before on pre orders for me.

Delio

Physical - simplygames - £45, it arrived yesterday

Digital - ordered it from Amazon.co.jp - £42, unlocked around 4PM UK time. :)

Here is the amazon.co.jp link - https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01MTASBY4/

What I did was buy a JP gift card from amazon.co.jp, using my card & home address so it passed the address check. I put in the exact amount, ¥5812. I then waited til amazon sent me that code via email, added it to my .co.jp account, changed my address to the University of Tokyo and then bought that digital code. :)

Only issue is the waiting times probably don't make it worth it anymore - I had to wait around 3h for the gift card to approve, and another hour for the digital code to be approved.

Garrett do i have to buy a gift card to do this or can i just use my own card? Also how exactly do i put the address in format wise?

jts

...hate me...
this is brilliant

I don't even feel spoiled for playing mk8 wii u. They actually made this such a noticiably better experience, from graphics, to modes, to options, to characters, to rumble, to portability.

Playing this game on a portable @ 720p is such an experience.

chekhonte

this is brilliant

I don't even feel spoiled for playing mk8 wii u. They actually made this such a noticiably better experience, from graphics, to modes, to options, to characters, to rumble, to portability.

Playing this game on a portable @ 720p is such an experience.

how is rumble better? I haven't heart this.

RaidenZR

Does anyone know when this goes live digital in the US? Has Nintendo been doing midnight button pushes on the Switch e-shop?

Top Bottom