• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls Online Game Informer Details

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This has to be one of the most uniformly negative responses I've seen around here. Not that negativity is rare or anything, but there are almost always a few "haters gon' hate" or "you guys haven't even played it yet!" type responses, but not in this case.

Tzeentch

-- A MMO based on the Elder Scrolls universe? Hey cool that will be aweso ..... wait....

All right, here we go.
-Visually it looks like other Hero Engine MMOs like SWTOR
-The general art style is kind of like RIFT or Everquest 2

-- Never mind.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I guess companies are somehow making a profit off these short lived MMO's. They'll probably offer lifetime subscriptions at the start too.

It has a 250 person team

They are going to lose big when they release this turd

Nekofrog

Banned
Who wants to bet it's back to the drawing board after this reveal? The internal email chains must be AWESOME right now...

Dacon

Banned
Sooooooo, it's an Elder Scolls MMO that's almost nothing like an Elder Scrolls game?

uhhhhhhhh no thanks I'll stick with tera

DTKT

Who wants to bet it's back to the drawing board after this reveal? The internal email chains must be AWESOME right now...

Someone must have be aware that they had nothing interesting to show. This is a 2007 era MMO being shown as if it's was unique.

What a disaster.

Eusis

Maybe they'll just jump straight to the F2P model to make it interesting, albeit more like Guild Wars and less like every former subscription MMO: you'll still need to buy the client itself first.

Jaleel

After re-reading the OP my main issue really is with regards to this:

The combat model will not be real time due to latency

I'm some what confused. Having played Dragon's Nest and Tera's beta I don't see why latency would be some great barrier for not having a combat model similar to there's. To me this conveniently sounds like an excuse to just settle with the bread and butter MMO combat model. However, I do admit I could totally be wrong. Do Nexon and EnMasse have superior server capabilities or use some sort of technology that renders this issue irrelevant? Because having played both I haven't had a issue with attacking NPCs (except for patch days).

Orayn

I'm some what confused. Having played Dragon's Nest and Tera's beta I don't see why latency would be some great barrier for not having a combat model similar to there's. To me this conveniently sounds like an excuse to just settle with the bread and butter MMO combat model. However, I do admit I could totally be wrong. Do Nexon and EnMasse have superior server capabilities or use some sort of technology that renders this issue irrelevant? Because having played both I haven't had a issue with attacking NPCs (except for patch days).

Hero Engine, dude. It's crap.

The marketing team fails too:

1336152553141qsk2a.jpg
Haha pretty funny. But we all know why they did it obviously, and it wasn't for geographic accuracy.

I still can't get over how bad the screenshots look. It literally looks like they took TOR and flipped the switch from Sci-Fi to Fantasy then stuck some VAGUELY TES looking monsters & armor into it then called it a day.
I have no idea how they could have gotten it so wrong.
Heres to hoping that the fan backlash will have an impact.

The M.O.B

The best thing I can say about this is that it looks more fantasy than Skyrim.

In Skyrim you fight generic wolves, bears, spiders, bandits etc and the occasional witch,troll. I don't know if it's part of the ES lore that Skyrim is filled with boring enemies but it is.

With this you can already see they put 100x more effort into the enemies than in Skyrim.
I have no clue what that is, but it would have been interesting to fight upclose in Skyrim.

Cheech

This has to be one of the most uniformly negative responses I've seen around here. Not that negativity is rare or anything, but there are almost always a few "haters gon' hate" or "you guys haven't even played it yet!" type responses, but not in this case.

Well, if you're a fan of ES, you're disgusted.

If you're not a fan of ES, you don't care, and dismiss it out-of-hand as being another "me too" MMO along the lines of Rift or D&D Online.

Like the Vita, nobody asked for this, nobody wants it, and it's going to die a swift death in a fetid pit of its own putrescence.

Eusis

Well, if you're a fan of ES, you're disgusted.

If you're not a fan of ES, you don't care, and dismiss it out-of-hand as being another "me too" MMO along the lines of Rift or D&D Online.

Like the Vita, nobody asked for this, nobody wants it, and it's going to die a swift death in a fetid pit of its own putrescence.
Except the Vita's aiming for a niche that may be too small (or IS large enough but needs strong games to be taken seriously), this seems to be going for the opposite in that it's aiming for a large group that's already catered to just fine, rather than a small group that wants a certain twist; Vita for physical controls on a touch device and/or a portable console-esque experience, and my ideal ES MMO being more like the single player games but online with only the compromises necessary to make for a good massively multiplayer game.

And throw five years of development down the drain? I doubt it. They'll release it, try to recoup what they can by playing off of the ES name, and call it a day. I was disappointed when I read the details, then I saw the screenshot and abandoned all hope. This has Warhammer Online written all over it.

This has to be one of the most universally panned reveals for a big name franchise in a looooong time.

Hell FFXIV had a way more positive reception when it was announced.

Cipherr

Like the visual style and the artwork. And I do like MMOs. Cannot tell whether or not the game itself will be good, you never can with MMO's. But Ill likely be there early if not day one, or beta if they have one to give it a try.

I'm open to it. Probably more-so than most because I haven't played through any of the ES games from start to finish. So this game doesn't offend my sensibilities or anything. /shrug

Dresden

The scope also means that each area is going to be disappointingly small. It'll be lovely when you cross the entirety of Vvardenfell in ten minutes.

e: ideally it would've been set in the ashes of Vvardenfell and the three factions would've been the houses Hlaalu, Telvanni, and Redoran, but no, they had to make this junk.

Eusis

They could've made it interesting. They chose not to.

Action, reaction.
And FFXIV had two things for it: precedent, and actually sounding like it might've been interesting. The first blunted the backlash a little bit, but the latter made it even more deeply disappointing. Who knows how 2.0 will be.

But, yeah. Elder Scrolls MMO could've, and should've, been more distinctive. And frankly it's doubly bad because I remember before Oblivion how Morrowind was described as being like an offline MMO, so it seemed like just a few jumps would've allowed the formula to make for a great, or at least a faithful MMO that didn't inherently not work. Instead of MMO-fying Elder Scrolls they're Elder Scrolls-fying the modern typical MMO, and thus faint interest vanishes in place of disappointment.

99%

That screen is hilarious.

I bet someone at Zenimax is having a bad weekend now.

FFXII was interesting because FFXI was unique and good and people thought Square would improve while still having their own distinct flavour, no one could have guessed how bad SE could screw up.

Sotha Sil

The scope also means that each area is going to be disappointingly small. It'll be lovely when you cross the entirety of Vvardenfell in ten minutes.

e: ideally it would've been set in the ashes of Vvardenfell and the three factions would've been the houses Hlaalu, Telvanni, and Redoran, but no, they had to make this junk.

Come on, you don't want to see the Argonians, Dunmers and Nords fighting together, hand in hand, just like it used to be?

-BLITZ-

From what I see, many of you guys aren't so happy about this new announcement.

Maybe they should start go with another Fallout or better yet Skyrim 2.

Come on, you don't want to see the Argonians, Dunmers and Nords fighting together, hand in hand, just like it used to be?

I shook my head when I saw that faction. The Dunmer have been fighting Nords and Argonians ever since they settled in Morrowind, and now they're united?

They could've chosen a lot more interesting times, too. Shit like the War of the Red Diamond. Instead they go back in time and write about something we've never really heard about before.

Jako

From what I see, many of you guys aren't so happy about this new announcement.

Maybe they should start go with another Fallout or better yet Skyrim 2.

I don't think this is being developed by the same team that made Skyrim (Bethesda is a part of ZeniMax, but I'm not sure how that works).

I don't think this is being developed by the same team that made Skyrim (Bethesda is a part of ZeniMax, but I'm not sure how that works).

Bethesda Game Studios, Zenimax Online, Arkane Studios and others are all developers that are owned by Zenimax media. Bethesda Softworks (which is a publisher) is also owned by Zenimax Media (and is probably publishing this game).

Jako

Bethesda Game Studios, Zenimax Online, Arkane Studios and others are all developers that are owned by Zenimax media. Bethesda Softworks (which is a publisher) is also owned by Zenimax Media (and is probably publishing this game).

Bethesda Softworks is the one that published Brink, RAGE and is going to publish Dishonored right?

TriGen

I think an Elders Scrolls game that you could play online with other people would be great. This doesn't seem to be that game. Maybe someday.

I agree. I've said before in that "what will be the next big thing" thread that I imagine after online FPS games that some sort of online RPG that is kind of simplified to work with consoles will probaly be a big seller.

Skyrim proved that games that aren't FPS can sell to the mainstream audience, when you couple that with the popularity of online console gaming I think some kind of MMO can sell on both PC and consoles. It just comes down to the game controlling like a single-player game, it can't be to hard for a random to pick up and play.

If there was an open-world place like in an MMO where you can play with your online buddies and level up against NPC's then take that character you levled up into game modes like CoD has, you know team deathmatch, deathmatch, domination, capture the flag, etc..... I think it could be huge.

Gamers that only buy CoD, Madden, AC, also will buy RPG's like ES and Fallout, if they could combine on consoles the addiction of online gaming with gameplay like ES or even some Zelda style it could work.

When you think about it we haven't really seen it attempted on a grand-scale for consoles, that FF mess doesn't really count as for one it was excuted awful and two FF's gameplay doesn't really have that mainstream pick up and play appeal, also the timing wasn't right, but now I think the consumers have shown that they are ready for it.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
My opinion about this project is already available a few pages before (and it's rather negative), but it would be cool to avoid the doom predictions, at least the ones that nearly WISH the title to bomb and the hundred of people living from it being fired :(

Let's try to be constructive, even if it's hard considering ESO is developed since what, 4 or 5 years, so the chances to see drastic changes (like integration of player housing/towns) following the feedback and the general reception of the community will surely be small.

Kem0sabe

It´s depressing that entire "nations", like Morrowind and Skyrim will be reduced to simple zones, they will try to fit as much team park shit into such small areas that the game will feel like your simply going from one attraction to another with no exploration and sense of discovery.

BigDug13

Imagine what could have been accomplished if they had devoted those 250 people towards Bethesda Studios projects for the past 5 years. We could have had another Fallout and another ES game selling like hotcakes. Instead we have a DOA WoW clone.

My opinion about this project is already available a few pages before (and it's rather negative), but it would be cool to avoid the doom predictions, at least the ones that nearly WISH the title to bomb and the hundred of people living from it being fired :(

Let's try to be constructive, even if it's hard considering ESO is developed since what, 4 or 5 years, so the chances to see drastic changes (like integration of player housing/towns) following the feedback and the general reception of the community will surely be small.

My opinion can be described as "cautiously optimistic". Personally, I think Skyrim combat in a multiplayer game would be terrible, as combat is one of the worst parts of Skyrim. (If you want to see what that looks like, you can check out Darkfall.) At the same time, combat that moves past WoW would be appreciated. Guild Wars 2 has a hotbar. TERA has a hotbar. DCUO has a hotbar, and none of those adhere exactly to WoW-style combat. We'll have to see.

On the engine: I've said this already, but since HeroEngine doesn't run on Mac, and through some arcane sorcery this game does, they've probably re-written (large) parts of it. As for the graphical style, I'm less sure.

On the factions: Yeah, these make no sense.

Munin

Guys, it's time to calm down, sit back and watch the thing go down in flames when Bethesda realizes people do in fact not want another World of Warcraft. Then we'll get our singleplayer games back, perhaps around 2015 or so, and everything will be fine.

Sblargh

Banned
Imagine what could have been accomplished if they had devoted those 250 people towards Bethesda Studios projects for the past 5 years. We could have had another Fallout and another ES game selling like hotcakes. Instead we have a DOA WoW clone.

By now we would have, like, 2 DLCs for Skyrim! And the name of a third!

Top Bottom