• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Just did the first 3 training stages, this is fun! I'll try to join the neogaf clan when it's available.

Soule

Really enjoying it at the moment. Just hit 3 and requested an invite to the clan. Started CoC again so might do the same in that

Brakara

Having fun but seems they are taking another step towards rewarding causals and inviting cash cows. Almost to level 3 but no reason to play waiting for chests. :/

I hear this a lot, but it's so weird to me.

Some reasons for playing even though you're waiting for chests:

1. Try out new decks
2. You'll get better at the game
3. You'll get trophies and thus get faster to higher arenas and new cards
4. It's fun?

Mistouze

You can start the unlocking of only one chest at a time? Do the following chests start unlocking automatically or do you have to click them?

Btw won my first online match, feels good.

Brakara

You can start the unlocking of only one chest at a time? Do the following chests start unlocking automatically or do you have to click them?.

You have to manually click them. Personally, I do silver chests during the day, and gold+ during the night. If you're going to bed within 3 hours, you may even want to do a battle first to see if you get a gold chest before starting unlocking the next one.

PepperedHam

Trying to figure out a deck to roll with. Any one having any consistent success with any beginner set ups?

I've just been swapping things out to see what works best but I'm really piss at managing elixir. Some people are wizards at it and they pull off such awesome plays.

Karu

The first clan not sure who is leading it or whatever so I made the Second Clan/Overflow.

Search 'GAF' and request to join. Just post in here when you do so it's not just a bunch of randoms.
Sent a request. Same name!

Mistouze

Trying to figure out a deck to roll with. Any one having any consistent success with any beginner set ups?

I've just been swapping things out to see what works best but I'm really piss at managing elixir. Some people are wizards at it and they pull off such awesome plays.
I'm making my way to level 3 so don't take my word as gospel BUT :

Prince is fucking great if you can send him in an empty lane, he can fuck up a tower on his own if left alone. Having a couple of range dudes behind him helps a lot when the opponent reacts to it.

Having a "swarm" type of card helps disrupt enemy attacks. Goblin lancer is available early on and I saw that card getting play from high level players.

mackattk

the 3 hr timer seems a bit excessive given a match is 3 min. I get they want people to use gems but even still.

It is a great game to play whenever you get a free minute. It really doesn't bother me too much. Got to treat this as a marathon, not a race. I play Boom Beach so it is nice to have another game to play that is not a time sink. Open up 3 hour chests through the day and leave the 8 hour ones for overnight.

Ferny

It is a great game to play whenever you get a free minute. It really doesn't bother me too much. Got to treat this as a marathon, not a race. I play Boom Beach so it is nice to have another game to play that is not a time sink. Open up 3 hour chests through the day and leave the 8 hour ones for overnight.

Yeah that's what I been doing. But I also have been playing with full chests anyway because I want to try to get to higher arenas so it works out for me.

Ferny

Could I get an invite to one of the clans?

Name is the same: gazele

For the life of me, I can't find a way to find a user. But if you search 'GAF' in the clan section, it'll be the first one on the list.

It looks like the first clan is full.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I like this game a lot more than I expected. It is a lot of fun, not sure how I'm really doing though, kind of just spamming units.

That's my feeling. So far there seems to also be an issue with mismatching opponents. My first 5-6 games yesterday I got matched with people with units at lvls 5-7. One unit destroyed everything i threw at it, including a tower and home castle.

I also don't like the limited chest que of 4, especially since you have to wait to start timer on one after opening another. I almost wish we could discard a chest and keep playing to try and get a better chest in the que.

styl3s

That's my feeling. So far there seems to also be an issue with mismatching opponents. My first 5-6 games yesterday I got matched with people with units at lvls 5-7. One unit destroyed everything i threw at it, including a tower and home castle.

I also don't like the limited chest que of 4, especially since you have to wait to start timer on one after opening another. I almost wish we could discard a chest and keep playing to try and get a better chest in the que.
My biggest problem about this game is how incredibly unbalanced it can be in arena 1-4. You are like level 1 and 2 with all level 1 cards from arena 1 going against some people with arena 4 and 5 cards at level 5+. They could do a better job at balancing that based on the the users level and what arena they are playing on by scaling card levels.

I started playing awhile back on the canada release when arena was reset so these people had all these high arena cards at ridiculous levels and it felt like i was being punished for not playing sooner or putting money in.

Ferny

I feel like it'll all even itself out as the game is released to more people now. It'll put people in their respective arenas as each season progresses, a bit like CoC does.

Been playing since soft launch.

It is NOT a play for hours game. It's a pick up, play a match or two to get your chests and that's it.

Open silver chests during the day and save the Gold chests for overnight.

I'll keep playing when my chests are full if I have a crown chest I can earn and I like the practice.

2 days ago I got a Giant chest from a win (12 hours) and last night I got a Super Magical Chest from a win (1 day.)

The only thing I really don't like in this game is that at high levels it's too reliant on a one hit combo. Think Grim Patton Warrior if you are a Hearthstone player. People store elixir till they unleash a devastating combo that you have no way to stop (ie Hog/freeze)

But the game is great. Don't get bummed if you fluctuate trophies so often. You can gain or lose 100 trophies in a matter of minutes. I was at 1670 last night and went to bed at 1400. But I'll get dem back.

Ferny

Weird it says invite only, oh well, I asked to apply to the overflow clan since the original is full

Was it to 'GAF' ? I don't see a request. Btw the invite only just means you have to request to join. If it's 'Open' anyone can just go right in. Just prevents randoms from going in.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
But the game is great. Don't get bummed if you fluctuate trophies so often. You can gain or lose 100 trophies in a matter of minutes. I was at 1670 last night and went to bed at 1400. But I'll get dem back.

This is important to keep in mind because you WILL go on losing streaks. Sometimes I can drop hundreds of cups in a play session. Then I'll get hundreds of cups back.

Played this a bit on an NZ account during soft launch. Seems like a really cool game and could get addictive. I have zero interest in Clash of Clans or its ilk, but I might get into this... if I can ever put down Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes.

Ferny

I keep losing!!

I passed the training and have only had one draw and about 6 losses.

Not enjoying. Refund?

Best advice I can give is wait a bit to make your first move and then respond accordingly. If I have a giant and archer or bomber in my starting hand, I will wait until they make a move and then send those two in the other lane. It's often gotten me a very early tower and the advantage.

I keep losing!!

I passed the training and have only had one draw and about 6 losses.

Not enjoying. Refund?

What is the average elixir cost for your deck it should be around 4 or preferably under?

If you're having trouble getting used to the game play defense at first wait for them to make a move then when you know they spend all their elixir counter that move and then start your own push.

One of the main principles of the game is knowing when you have an elixir advantage when you have that advantage you need to make your push and keep applying pressure but don't spend all your troops at one time because then they can just counter and the other side and easily take one of your towerd down

Another important concept in this game which is also an important concept in card games is reach, reach is that extra bit that you can knock out and finish off their towers so if you push in and you get a coordinating push on one of their towers and get it 75% of the way down you need to be able to finish off that tower without another coordinated pushed. the Goblin barrel is really good for this but if you don't have that you can also use arrows or a fireball to finish off the rest of that tower

HBP

Glad it's out worldwide, been in the GAF clan for a while. The game is a lot of fun and I really enjoy how short the sessions are, now that it's on the US store I was able to make my first purchase.

Karu

Once you get used to the time/game loop it becomes way easier to enjoy the game. The probem with games like this are always in the first few hours/days when your urge to play ALL OF IT! is still so high.

Just a word of advice, you can only donate if you have greater than 0/X of a card, you can't go down a level, so make sure to have like two or three if you are offering. I messed up, lol.

Ninja Dom

My slots for having 4 chests are full. 3 hours to unlock a silver chest and 8 hours to unlock a gold chest. Is there any point in playing as I can't win anymore chests as my spaces are full??

Are all of you spending gems to open chests?

commish

My slots for having 4 chests are full. 3 hours to unlock a silver chest and 8 hours to unlock a gold chest. Is there any point in playing as I can't win anymore chests as my spaces are full??

Are all of you spending gems to open chests?

I knew this would be asked multiple times per page, hence the title of this thread :p

You should be trying to climb into higher arenas, which the chests have better cards, more gold, more gems, etc.

Ninja Dom

I knew this would be asked multiple times per page, hence the title of this thread :p

You should be trying to climb into higher arenas, which the chests have better cards, more gold, more gems, etc.

LOL! I just noticed the title of the thread. Sorry.

So...what's the answer? Yes? How do I climb to higher areas?

EDIT:
What do I do when I am full on chests? If you don’t want to gem chests to finish them instantly, you can still play the game for fun, to climb arena ranks, etc. Yes, everyone agrees that there should be some type of reward for wins when you are full on chests.

Karu

LOL! I just noticed the title of the thread. Sorry.

So...what's the answer? Yes? How do I climb to higher areas?
Every win will net you around 30 Trophies (You loose a match, you loose 10-20 trophies depending on enemy level etc.). New Areas are unlocked at 400, 800 etc. Trophies.

You should just be prepared - if you rise in rank - that your deck might be underleveled at some point. But don't worry, it doesn't matter that much. Just play some.

Ooh I get it.

But then you're waiting for those good chests to open from the better arenas then too right? I guess you're supposed to earn trophies in the meanwhile, but damn does it put a damper on leveling and getting loot. Really wish you could unlock multiple chests at once, or at the very least be able to buy an item that lets you unlock two at once.

commish

Ooh I get it.

But then you're waiting for those good chests to open from the better arenas then too right? I guess you're supposed to earn trophies in the meanwhile, but damn does it put a damper on leveling and getting loot. Really wish you could unlock multiple chests at once, or at the very least be able to buy an item that lets you unlock two at once.

They really need an incentive to keep people playing when they are full on chests. Someone on reddit suggested that 1 win decreases your chest open time by a certain period of time. That would be pretty sweet.

That said, they devs did say that they intended the game to be played for 30 minutes a day rather than for hours. The game is too much fun, though, and everyone wants to play more.

gazele

Banned
Was it to 'GAF' ? I don't see a request. Btw the invite only just means you have to request to join. If it's 'Open' anyone can just go right in. Just prevents randoms from going in.

Haha it was neogaf, just applied to the gaf one

Ninja Dom

They really need an incentive to keep people playing when they are full on chests. Someone on reddit suggested that 1 win decreases your chest open time by a certain period of time. That would be pretty sweet.

That said, they devs did say that they intended the game to be played for 30 minutes a day rather than for hours. The game is too much fun, though, and everyone wants to play more.

The game hasn't really clicked with me yet and the chests situation isn't helping. I understand that it's gonna have amazing depth (I'm a high level Boom Beach player), but I'm not really enjoying so far.

KimChi

I just started this a few days and saw the thread now, which clan is the other neogaf clan cause I see 2 'neogaf' and 2 'gaf' clans when I search.

The first clan not sure who is leading it or whatever so I made the Second Clan/Overflow.

Search 'GAF' and request to join. Just post in here when you do so it's not just a bunch of randoms.
I sent a request to join. My name is Typo in game.

KimChi

For the life of me, I can't find a way to find a user. But if you search 'GAF' in the clan section, it'll be the first one on the list.

It looks like the first clan is full.

woops didn't see this, I assume you are 'thatguyfern'? I sent a request to the gaf clan my ign is ABowlOfKimChi.

Been playing since iOS beta. Bouncing between arena 5 and 6. Yeah, gems should go towards the 10000g one (500 gems). Always buy 2 commons and 1 rare if they're usually requested in your clan.

Best way to climb is to just experiment with your deck. I was really stubborn with my old one when I peaked at 1300, but dropped as low as 950 and was stuck there. Shuffled it around and rocketed to 1700 really quickly.

Yes this is a pickle.

You have a few options:
1. If there is the possibility of attaining a Crown chest (10 stars) : Keep playing.
2. If you want to try out your new deck and you're having fun : Keep playing.
3. Stop playing until you either have a chest slot or can earn a Crown chest.

It's easiest to open your Silver chests during the day and save your Gold chests for overnight.

Also, getting into a higher Arena gives you new cards, but more importantly it gives you MORE cards. Instead of 2 barbarians you may get 15.

coy

My gf got me onto this game and it is quite enjoyable. I'll be joining the GAF clan as soon as I hit level 3. In the meantime, I've been reading and watching replays for tips. Definitely a good time killer throughout the day with the quick matches.

Top Bottom