• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To the "Destiny 2 looks like DLC" crowd. Why?

K.Sabot

Saying Destiny 2 looks like DLC gives way too much credit to Destiny's DLC

some of the worst DLC content to price ratio in all of gaming.

Destiny 2 looks like a proper good Destiny 1 expansion, something we never got (even with TTK).

How D2 is destroying everything you earned? You can still play D1 if you want, they're not taking anything away from you.

I cant do it using D2s updates though. Thats the difference.

If you want to keep playing the newest Destiny and keep up to check with other players, you absolutely cant be playing D1.

Plus, lets be honest. As soon as Destiny 2 launches, any sort of matchmaking activity is going straight to shit for Destiny 1.

The strike playlist? May as well be gone.
PvP? May as well be gone.
Iron Banner likely wont come back simply because Bungie isn't going to support it. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the weekly activities just straight up vanish like they did for the 360/ps3 players when Rise of Iron came out.

molnizzle

So for those that are stuck on the part about it not being a big enough leap... imagine that it is a $60 expansion. What are your feelings about it now?

Much better, because I would have gone into the event expecting an expansion and not a full sequel. Hell, even if they had shown all of this immediately after announcing the game last month it would've been easier to swallow. The problem is they announced Destiny 2 with a giant ass 2 and then said full gameplay reveal coming a month later. That's sending a message that there's gonna be some big shit to show. People were expecting a big reveal. I mean they had a red carpet for fuck's sake.

PSqueak

Banned
Wait, people are saying "it looks" or "it should be"?

One would think the original destiny would be handled like a "games as a service" sort of game.

That's not an answer the question, and you're extremely naive if you really believe it's "not expanding on anything".

Really? So tell me can you add this to Destiny 1? No? then its not an expansion. It's not expanding on the base game, its a sequel, its marketed as a sequel. The only one who's naive is yourself,

Your question is ridiculous.

So for those that are stuck on the part about it not being a big enough leap... imagine that it is a $60 expansion. What are your feelings about it now?
It is not about the money. It is about putting more time into a game that I have grown tired of after a 1000 hours. I need some feeling of new or I am not going to bother.

Bungie wants to sell sequel-level numbers of this product. They can't do that with an expansion. Making the 2 a prominent part of the marketing is the surest sign of this.

I have no doubt Destiny 2 will launch huge but unless they can re-engage the player base on a deep level, I think the fall off for the expansions will be precipitous. That's not a good business scenario.

Destiny 2 has to distinguish itself from Destiny 1. So far, for me, it hasn't. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and wait and see.

molnizzle

Really? So tell me can you add this to Destiny 1? No? then its not an expansion. It's not expanding on the base game, its a sequel, its marketed as a sequel. The only one who's naive is yourself,

That's kind of the point. From the look of it, you should be able to just add this to Destiny 1. Because it looks almost exactly like Destiny 1.

Yall getting Destiny 2 tho? Be real.

Probably. ugh.

Saying Destiny 2 looks like DLC gives way too much credit to Destiny's DLC

some of the worst DLC content to price ratio in all of gaming.

Destiny 2 looks like a proper good Destiny 1 expansion, something we never got (even with TTK).

Things we've gotten from Destiny 1 expansions:
  • New Destinations (Dreadnaut and Plaguelands)
  • New weapon types (swords and sidearms)
  • Overhauled level system (light level specifically)
  • 3 Brand new Subclasses
  • New enemy AI archtypes (the Taken)
  • New PvP modes (Trials, Sparrow Racing, Supremacy)

This muddies the water of what a sequel could/should have because most of the bigger and better bullet points are things we've already experienced via DLC.

Varjis

The comparisons to WoW have nothing to do with graphics or gameplay.

Bungie sold us on Destiny being a 10 year platform. When that wasn't going to happen they told us they would be leaving behind Destiny 1 because Destiny 2 needed a fresh start.

Bungie convinced a lot of people that Destiny would be a hub game that just got more and more expansions as time went on. They even went so far as to call them by Year. Destiny Year 1, Year 2, Year 3.

Now Destiny 2 is giving us a fresh start, but mostly from a balancing perspective. The game needed to be changed. Several subsystems needed to be overhauled in a way that an expansion doesn't seem to quite be able to do. Except Bungie did do it. With Taken King Bungie overhauled their leveling system for the better. So we're caught in this limbo where we've seen what Bungie can do with an expansion, so we're left wondering why we need to fork over $60 to abandon our old game for one that feels lesser in many ways.

What concerns me is are we getting the same formula again? Destiny 2: Year 1, Year 2, Year 3. Oh time for Destiny 3, say goodbye to all your stuff again.

oneils

Probably would pass on it. I still haven't bought rise of iron. I'm guessing that's why they are releasing it as a sequel. Sales of expansions usually crater as time goes on. I'm kind of on the fence with the sequel. Will most likely get it, but I'm underwhelmed.

benzopil

I think here are two problems

1) Bungie always announces every new change like it's the Second Coming (holy shit, old raids are back? let's stream this! new content!)
2) people don't expect too much from Bungie so they are happy even if changes are small

All these things happened during that stream.

It's also funny for me to read how "this stream is for fans of Destiny who were happy to see it". Well, fan of Destiny here, I'm disappointed. And only one person from my raid group isn't.

That's kind of the point. From the look of it, you should be able to just add this to Destiny 1. Because it looks almost exactly like Destiny 1.

The biggest bullet points, after all, were talking about the rebalances classes and rebalanced weapon systems. Which couldve been done in D1

The reason it feels like Destiny 1.5 and not Destiny 2 is simple. All those things you mentioned are mostly cosmetic and not necessarily vast gameplay differences. The things they added like Guided games, LFG in game, Matchmaking with everything...those SHOULD have been in Destiny even if patched in later but never were.

Destiny 2 = All the mistakes we made with Destiny 1 we fixed and added some new maps, and new weapons but the game looks and plays the same: Enjoy!

This.

Are the new features in Destiny 2 impressive? Yes. But, for me personally, it's not doing anything relatively new to warrant being called a sequel. Nothing that, say, a rather large expansion couldn't do.

Things we've gotten from Destiny 1 expansions:
  • New Destinations (Dreadnaut and Plaguelands)
  • New weapon types (swords and sidearms)
  • Overhauled level system (light level specifically)
  • 3 Brand new Subclasses
  • New enemy AI archtypes (the Taken)
  • New PvP modes (Trials, Sparrow Racing, Supremacy)

This muddies the water of what a sequel could/should have because most of the bigger and better bullet points are things we've already experienced via DLC.

I think the inherent problem is that Destiny is basically almost an MMO, so the idea of a sequel in the first place just doesn't register for a lot of people.

Symbiotx

I KNOW it's not an expansion. But, if everyone is saying it looks like DLC, I'm asking if it would be easier to swallow for these people simply for the distinction. I'm trying to guage peoples perceptions, and you're just being a jerk about it.

Kyne

I KNOW it's not an expansion. But, if everyone is saying it looks like DLC, I'm asking if it would be easier to swallow for these people simply for the distinction. I'm trying to guage peoples perceptions, and you're just being a jerk about it.

no.

just because a bunch of morons point at a circle and call it a square does not mean I am going to call a circle a square.

HALO 2 looked like HALO. I really expected more here. Sure they added some stuff and fancied up the skins, but if you look at it, it is pretty much HALO. I expected a lot more from HALO 2, like exploding unicorns and a completely redone game and not the continuation of a very popular game.

Yall getting Destiny 2 tho? Be real.

If the reviews described it as the reverse of the first Destiny, by which I mean, content with tons of depth and worlds that don't have only a handful of missions. Social features that should have been in the first game and stuff like that, then sure.

You called me naive then complained I'm being a jerk? Okay
If you're saying if it was actually an expansion then fine, but then the next question would be why am I paying $60 for this? I wouldn't feel any better about it.
But if you're saying what if they just called it an "expansion" then that's different. Sorry if I misunderstood your intentions but you were a bit vague.

Symbiotx

Wow, I didn't realize it was so hard for you guys to answer a simple question without turning it into an attack. Enjoy your anti-Destiny circlejerk.

I think the inherent problem is that Destiny is basically almost an MMO, so the idea of a sequel in the first place just doesn't register for a lot of people.

Oh certainly. Bungie clearly shifted the game plan after launch and this adjustment was never going to be easy for them.

Jabronium

Yes, I'd feel better if it were an xpac, if only because it would've tempered my expectations.

Make no mistake, I'll get the game, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the gunplay, and I guess I need to give up on getting the WoW x Halo game I was hoping for.

It didn't help that I fell back into the habit of watching Broman and Goth most days at work for background noise, which led to a never ending stream of "Guys, Luke Smith played WoW for YEARS, this is going to be huge, crafting, super hardcore MMO stuff". Kind of funny watching them backpedal in the last 36 hours and flip to "Of course it's more of the same, what did you expect, jeez," at least from the little bit I've watched since the reveal.

AzureFlame

my expectations were like we are going from FFXIV to ARR kind of change, but it looked more like a Destiny Expansion, and im totally satisfied and done with D1.

HALO 2 looked like HALO. I really expected more here. Sure they added some stuff and fancied up the skins, but if you look at it, it is pretty much HALO. I expected a lot more from HALO 2, like exploding unicorns and a completely redone game and not the continuation of a very popular game.
Halo 2 redefined console multiplayer - I think that's way more than Destiny 2 could hope to achieve.

Kyne

my expectations were like we are going from FFXIV to ARR kind of change, but it looked more like a Destiny Expansion, and im totally satisfied and done with D1.

this already happened when TTK was released.

did you play it?

I think the real issue is that many people hoped that Destiny 2 would fix a lot of the problems they had with Destiny, and the truth is that they're not really changing the core game very much at all.

DryvBy

The idea that all sequels are huge leaps up is kinda crazy considering for a lot of games that's not really true.

Not all games, but for games that have huge budgets I'd expect that. Absolutely.

Uh, excluding level design, graphic improvements like bump mapping, and the ability to fly in multiplayer, it added dual wielding and online gameplay. Halo 1 and 2 is like Diablo 1 and 2. It's a pretty big leap.

K.Sabot

this already happened when TTK was released.

did you play it?

the full shitty base game is still the full shitty base game.

unlike ffxiv where the full shitty 1.0 base game got completely reworked into a pretty good 2.0 base game

they also managed to canonize the transition which was impressive

4k, bigger maps, less loading screens between traveling, (probably more vault space) to start.
uh those are improvements that could or should be possible for Destiny 1.
Because its literally not an expansion for Destiny.
Unless you can buy it and add it to Destiny 1, whether or not it's called an "expansion" is irrelevant, because it literally isn't. This isn't the followup to Rise of Iron.
That wasn't the question.

I mean. Cmon. My friend who is pretty damn excited for it called it an expansion. And that's why he liked it. Whereas that's why I don't like it. I expected more. Hell, two out of theee subclasses are nearly identical- unless you are a hunter where the new Poledancer is Bladedancer again.

Another three years of the same exact supers we had in Destiny. Like, at least put more effort forward. That's what I personally expected, and why I was so worried about the prospect of a "Destiny 2".

In a sequel, I honestly would've expected 3 whole new subclasses for each class, sure they expanded on the abilities a little, but here I am as a Titan. Still throwing hammers, still slamming the ground, except now I trade out Ward of Dawn for the relic from VoG

Like goddamnit Bungie, you had more diversity in going from Equipment in Halo 3 to AAs in Reach'

I think the real issue is that many people hoped that Destiny 2 would fix a lot of the problems they had with Destiny, and the truth is that they're not really changing the core game very much at all.

That's not the issue at all. The issue is simply that so far nothing about Destiny 2 seems to make it feel like a solid sequel. All the main features for the game seem to be balancing changes or quality of life improvements. These things aren't typical for a sequel in the FPS genre.

Really, the only place that those changes would be normal for a "sequel" is for a sports title, and we all know how much criticism those get.

Remembering the days of Left 4 Dead 2.

The similarities are remarkable! It's all coming back to me now. "Why couldn't they just do this in L4D1?" "Why is this a new game and not just DLC?" "Valve is just reskinning a bunch of stuff" "All the enemies are basically the same"

Kyne

uh those are improvements that could or should be possible for Destiny 1.

That wasn't the question.

It was literally impossible because of the way the infrastructure was set up for the backwards compatibility.

Towards the end the engineers were squeezing every bit out of the memory that they could.

Seriously?

The jump from halo to halo 2 was much more noticeable than this

molnizzle

In a sequel, I honestly would've expected 3 whole new subclasses for each class, sure they expanded on the abilities a little, but here I am as a Titan. Still throwing hammers, still slamming the ground, except now I trade out Ward of Dawn for the relic from VoG

I was expecting at least one new full class. Or at least 100% different subclasses for the current 3. At least one full new enemy faction, not just new units for the current ones. And god dammit, would it have killed them to do new loading screen animations? After all the collective hours I spent watching the same ship animation in D1, I sure would appreciate something different to look at.

dengatron

Honestly it comes down to recency bias. People think of year 3, expansion howevermany destiny 1 instead of day 1 destiny when making the comparison and look at the amount of content there and their minds can't comprehend that destiny 1 was patched over the course of multiple years with content additions.

destiny 2 has 4 zones advertised as being at least double the size of any playable area they made before with zones ACTUALLY HAVING GAMEPLAY unlike destiny 1. patrol beacons and farming materials and the incredibly rare world events were the entirety of patrol content in destiny at launch. destiny 2 brings sidequests(beacon replacements, obviously), dungeons, actual npc interaction, on top of the fact that there are still scripted world events and the like from the first game. they're adding more to do in the world. that shit literally didn't exist in the first game by the time most people quit.

destiny 2 will launch with at least the total amount of strikes as launch destiny 1, and yeah the strike they previewed didn't blow me away with mechanics but that was very likely the max level normal mode version of that strike. i would like to see more boss mechanics and they hyped up the "3 phase boss fight" a bit too much there. only the second phase really had an actual mechanic to it so hopefully they work on making each strike feel like it's own unique thing instead of the dog shit that was winter's runs final boss

destiny 2 will launch with an entire new suite of multiplayer maps and modes. destiny 2 will have an actual story campaign. you can say "but the taken king and crotas end had that too!" but the taken kings campaign wasn't close to the length of the base campaign, and it's fucking super obvious that we're not getting a fuckin dlc length amount of campaign missions from a titled sequel.

likely 100+ new weapons, new weapon types, new subclass game play with changes to current subclasses.. there's content there. i'd like to see NEW subclasses added on top of the old because of extra variety but i think adding a new class entirely would put the games 3 player fireteams at odds if something happened to be super broken op.

i want to see the depth of their on-world gameplay mechanics and i want to see the raid launch sooner since half the casual playerbase was long gone before vault of glass was released but that's really just me being pedantic.

Top Bottom