• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix 'House of Cards' production halted

ape2man

(CNN)Production on the sixth and final season of "House of Cards" has been halted after star Kevin Spacey was accused of sexual assault by an actor who claims he was a minor at the time of the alleged incident.

Netflix and Media Rights Capital, which produces the series, confirmed the move in a joint statement issued Tuesday.

MRC and Netflix have decided to suspend production on 'House of Cards' season six, until further notice, to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew,
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/31/entertainment/house-of-cards-production-suspended/index.html

I am so conflicted by this, I want to see this series end in a right way but now with this. AArrrrggg :(

Netflix is officially severing ties with Kevin Spacey amid mounting allegations of sexual harassment made against the House of Cards series star and executive producer.

Additionally, the streamer has scrapped a Gore Vidal biopic starring Spacey.

“Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey. We will continue to work with MRC during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show," a spokesperson for the streamer said in a statement Friday. "We have also decided we will not be moving forward with the release of the film Gore, which was in post-production, starring and produced by Kevin Spacey."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/netflix-officially-severs-ties-kevin-spacey-1054981

Then just throw all other seasons away, or just sell them to a other production house. :( fuck you kevin spacey, fuck you

Hopefully the rest of the crew lands somewhere, but if they can't write out Frank they should kill the show. Season 5 sucked, anyway.

Socivol

They should be able to pretty easily write him out following the ending of the last season. To be honest Frank wasn't even that important anymore and I would much rather see the show about Claire anyway.

Yoda

Well, if he was harassing (or most likely something worse) the staff of the show it'd be irresponsible to let him continue to have unfettered access to said individuals.

KJA

I don't think the show needs another season. Season 5 was so bad that it doesn't warrant any further continuation to the story.

zeioIIDX

So damn, everyone working on that show gets to lose out on a job because of allegations against one person? Yeesh. Surely they can come up with a way to continue the show without Spacey, I'd hope they can at least do that much.

^Don't forget about the 8 HoC staff members who allege harassment and hostile work environment. And the other allegation from his past.
Same here.

Is it only allegations? If so, it would be a pretty shitty thing to do.
Allegations of past harassment from multiple sources plus numerous complaints from staff on the show of Spacey creating a hostile work environment and harassing the staff.

Better to kill the show than allow a chance for a predator to continue his predation.

CD'S BAR

Midseason assassination or suicide could be a good mix-up. Robin Wright is good enough to carry the show. They should try for at least one more season without Spacey.

120v

frank and everybody in his orbit was just so utterly fucked any ending that didn't have him in cuffs or suffering some miserable fate was inevitable. i still like the show but can live without any closure, the proverbial house of cards had fallen seasons ago

Vkandrew

I’m not a huge fan of the show, but I feel bad for all the people working on the show and hope they all come out of this whole debacle unscathed.

Barren Mind

Good for Netflix. It's disgusting seeing people upset over this because their fictional television show is in jeopardy rather than deeply concerned and upset that predatory behavior has been running roughshod behind the scenes.

llien

My spouse was into series, but told me last season was meh and she thought they canceled it anyhow.

Which they probably did. K.S. story is a better reason to end it, than "it become boring".

Peroroncino

The moment they decided to push Claire for the main character and president, a person who I might add even had troubles running a charity organisation was the moment where my suspension of disbelief completely died, so either way this swings, I'm good.

Monocle

Honestly, I just wanted one more season that wrapped everything up. I don't agree with the apparently widespread opinion that season 5 sucked. The power brokers were cool. I liked season 5 much more than season 4, and I was interested to see where the show would go with its new direction. The finale ended at a critical juncture. I need that payoff. If nothing else, it would be nice to watch Claire fulfill her greatest ambitions.

entremet

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? Or did I miss sth?

This is not a criminal investigation. Netflix made the call as a company funding a production with a troubled actor, who also seems to have created a hostile workplace. They could easily be sued for this if they didn't act somehow.

SegaShack

Our society as it stands takes accusations as truth. Someone can just post on twitter and people take it as reality if it’s an accusation. I always take the stance of it may or may not have happened since we really don’t know. And I’m not discrediting anyone who’s making claims, it’s just honestly a call I can’t make without more details.

As for Netflix it’s bad PR if they have him on the show.

Mahadev

Midseason assassination or suicide could be a good mix-up. Robin Wright is good enough to carry the show. They should try for at least one more season without Spacey.

Robin Wright's character is the worst part of that show. She's a great actress but the writers have made her character fucking annoying and boring.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Multiple people that work for the show have come forward, so it sounds like it was a known thing behind the scenes.

Our society as it stands takes accusations as truth. Someone can just post on twitter and people take it as reality if it’s an accusation. I always take the stance of it may or may not have happened since we really don’t know. And I’m not discrediting anyone who’s making claims, it’s just honestly a call I can’t make without more details.

As for Netflix it’s bad PR if they have him on the show.
It would be bad business to continue the show with the current climate AND the multiple allegations. Honestly, I don't think any business would bother employing a person who had 10 allegations of sexual abuse under their belt (except for Hollywood a month ago, apparently).

Whether they're true or not (I'm one of those "where there's smoke" kinda people, and the room is full of smoke at this point), Netflix stands to lose more than they'd gain by continuing his employment.

I don't think Spacey should be jailed without trial (which is really the only meaningful context for innocent until proven guilty), but he should certainly be put on ice given his behavior is in line with other predators in Hollywood, part of an established power dynamic that has already led to multiple cases of abuse.

Septy

We had three almost pointless seasons and for it to end like this is a bit of a bitter pill. This was a 3 act story like the original novels, it's a shame they wasted so much time.

I totally undestand why Netflix are doing this. His alleged actions are sickening.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Over 100 people said he made work hell/harassed them. Good on em for canceling.

The show isn't canceled.

(In that season 6 is likely still happening.)

They've said it's ending after season 6 but that was when Spacey was still on board. If season 6 somehow revitalizes the show with Claire as the main character, I'd say there is a good chance season 7 happens.

Zenner

They should be able to pretty easily write him out following the ending of the last season.

Spacey's also one of the show's Executive Producers. It's not as easy as writing his character out, and suddenly being free & clear of his name.

Grinchy

Banned
With Spacey being an executive producer, is it safe to assume that he profits even from a season he's not a part of? And if they "fire" him, do they owe him a giant severance? I guess we don't know what stipulations are in his contract.

Septy

House of Cards without Francis Underwood would be such a letdown. I would prefer the role be recast than the character being killed off screen.

Kid Ying

I've always hated Kevin Spacey and now I feel justified. He is creepy as hell.
I've always found him creepy too. His preseance is unsetling to me, but that added to the charm of Frank. Frank is not a good person and Spacey did a damn fine job in everything, moetly because of this.

Top Bottom