• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: First charges filed in Mueller investigation

Darknight

Is this some kind of trolling meme at this point? We're in a thread about a fucking indictment.

I think we should wait and see. We just entered the 1000 years of darkness, things will remain bad for a long time. Not until all the corrupt guys in the WH are in jail will I be cheering.

I don't follow. No?

Every single thread since these stories began is derailed by "nothing will happen" posts. Why can't we just discuss the events at hand without this kind of commentary? It's incredibly annoying and kind of wrong since the fact that we've gotten this far flies in the face of the original "nothing will happen" predictions.

Every single thread since these stories began is derailed by "nothing will happen" posts. Why can't we just discuss the events at hand without this kind of commentary? It's incredibly annoying and kind of wrong since the fact that we've gotten this far flies in the face of the original "nothing will happen" predictions.
We like to lower our expectations so if nothing happens, it doesn't hurt as much.

But in this case, something is happening. I can feel it in my bones.

I wonder if the stock market which is on a tear with the prospect of giant deficit funded corporate and rich person tax cuts will suddenly get concerned that an administration mired in indictments may not actually get done what they thought they would get done.

prag16

Banned

Well I mean nothing has happened yet. I don't see any cuffs around Trump's tiny hands.
Relax.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I agree and feel the same about another leader in recent news that is facing accusations. Free discussion must be allowed without being shut down.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Don't retreat to the safety of the it's happening bunker just yet. My prediction is that very little comes of this.. I'd be surprised if they even get Manafort let alone Flynn or Podesta. But we'll see. (This prediction isn't based on much, but Trump seems weasel his way out of almost everything almost slick willie style.)

Federal indictments lead to convictions 99.8% of the time. If you get indicted then youarealreadydead.gif. And we're looking at multiple.

prag16

Banned
Federal indictments lead to convictions 99.8% of the time. If you get indicted then youarealreadydead.gif. And we're looking at multiple.

Right but the key is who. Just don't set the expectations bar too high. On our "sister" site there's a full blown celebration going on already lol.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
And not released so as to facilitate them nabbing people up over the weekend.

This is gonna be one hell of a Halloween :-D

They say If you are federally indicated then don't bulk buy at Costco.
However obviously Convictions don't tell the whole story there can be plea bargains or in this case - presidential pardons. Slaps on the wrist, long appeals and so on.
Is it even stated there is more than one individual due for a bad Monday morning ?

This right here. I'm guessing one of those two get hit. Then Mueller tries to get him to flip.

The white house reaction will be interesting.

Their reaction is already obvious, they have been spending all of last week trying to impeach Hillary for a uranium deal, or for paying to extend the republican funded oppo research. They are also trying to taint mueller thru any association so he can be neutered.

Joe T.

Is this some kind of trolling meme at this point? We're in a thread about a fucking indictment.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but it's a story about indictments being made Monday, not the indictments (or charges) themselves. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Treating such stories like giant celebrations is just begging for a large helping of disappointment, as we've seen countless times before. Stranger Things 2 and Mario Odyssey just dropped, plenty of actual entertainment options out there for us without turning this story into one of them.

prag16

Banned
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but it's a story about indictments being made Monday, not the indictments (or charges) themselves. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Treating such stories like giant celebrations is just begging for a large helping of disappointment, as we've seen countless times before. Stranger Things 2 and Mario Odyssey just dropped, plenty of actual entertainment options out there for us without turning this story into one of them.

Yeah. If you want a raucous celebratory thread on this topic, you can check the other site (though not as raucous as I was expecting; maybe still getting warmed up over there). The fact that this topic is far more laid back than what we'd usually expect to see isn't a bad thing. It's a good thing.

holy shit.

also, gaf truly is dead... this thread would had exploded...

Nah. See above.

I agree and feel the same about another leader in recent news that is facing accusations. Free discussion must be allowed without being shut down.

Nobody is preventing discussion, man.

Relax, friend.

Aces&Eights

Actually, I think this is just the kind of news that would be allowed. It's not a reaction to a tweet. Real news that will effect this country.

Someone will be wearing bracelets Monday. My money is on Flynn or Manafort.

holy shit.

also, gaf truly is dead... this thread would had exploded...

No, gaf is now not a freakout chamber. Gone are the 3 word posts that contribute nothing.

Current events are allowed. I figure that as long as we don't devolve into insane circle jerks or violent shit slinging, we can probably talk politics. That would never have been possible a week ago but maybe it is now.

Completely agree my friend.

prag16

Banned
Actually, I think this is just the kind of news that would be allowed. It's not a reaction to a tweet. Real news that will effect this country.

Someone will be wearing bracelets Monday. My money is on Flynn or Manafort.

Current events are allowed. I figure that as long as we don't devolve into insane circle jerks or violent shit slinging, we can probably talk politics. That would never have been possible a week ago but maybe it is now.

I think the reason they didn't want politics is cause of the way people talked in them and the way people would only allow one sided conversations completely. Other than that, I doubt they would have ever cared if it wasn't such a big influence.

There are millions who simply don't want to talk about it, and while I can I would say I am closer to not.

I do think this board should have a place for it, but without it taking over the board.

This is simply news, no politics involved here. This isn't about some new bill or anything just some news about criminal charges.

We are just discussing what those charges might be and who they might involve.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Everyone still talking about not being able to talk about politics and start interjecting about the other forum. Yeah what insightful political discourse.

Aces&Eights

I keep thinking back to that Soprano episode where Tony knows the feds are coming so he is frantically burying bags of money.

Everyone still talking about not being able to talk about politics and start interjecting about the other forum. Yeah what insightful political discourse.

It's been 5 days since the shutdown. People are still a little sketchy about what to post. Give it a little time, please.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I keep thinking back to that Soprano episode where Tony knows the feds are coming so he is frantically burying bags of money.

It's been 5 days since the shutdown. People are still a little sketchy about what to post. Give it a little time, please.

I'd be too after what went down and what resulted from it.

prag16

Banned
Don't let me stop you from talking politics.

gUh27yi.gif

Joe T.

Yeah this thread would be at like 20+ pages by now a couple weeks ago.

I'm on the glass half full side of things. There really wasn't much to this story - like an announcement of an announcement trailer - but with the active population numbers down there's room to actually discuss rather than watching hundreds of people throwing a few words at the wall and hoping someone, anyone makes note of it, assuming they wanted to participate in the conversation to begin with.

I googled this and found some interesting stats regarding federal indictments:

99% conviction rate since 2003
99%+ plead guilty (I am assuming plea bargain)
over half of federal districts have zero or only one acquittal (2015)
20 districts have 100% conviction rate (2015)
Hawaii is statistically the best place to get indicted, only 97.6% conviction rate there lol

Ombra

This is actually momentum and probably "leaked" to silence the new effort by Trumps congress cronies to play as if the investigation is dead.

This is actually momentum and probably "leaked" to silence the new effort by Trumps congress cronies to play as if the investigation is dead.

Would that make much sense though? We're going to know people have been arrested on Monday, so you're only spinning up some kind of counternarrative for a few days at best.

I think it's more likely this has been leaked to freak out various guilty parties so they might get caught doing something really dumb.

At this stage I'm also keeping my expectations low. Manafort would be as high up as I'd anticipate, and even that might be a reach this early.

Aces&Eights

I don't think Mueller gives a damn about what the GOP thinks or is saying. Nothing seems important to him other than his investigation. This guy has a laser focus and wouldn't issue indictments unless he has 100% confidence in his evidence.

Ombra

I don't think Mueller gives a damn about what the GOP thinks or is saying. Nothing seems important to him other than his investigation. This guy has a laser focus and wouldn't issue indictments unless he has 100% confidence in his evidence.
Not saying he leaked it, he does have quite a team and this type of controlled leak could work in their favor as anothet poster just theorized.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Eh, Mueller already told Manafort that he can expect to be indicted. Probably only reasons he hasn't run is he feels safer from the Russians in the US and might just end up cutting a deal.

hunchback

Their reaction is already obvious, they have been spending all of last week trying to impeach Hillary for a uranium deal, or for paying to extend the republican funded oppo research. They are also trying to taint mueller thru any association so he can be neutered.

Yes they have been obvious. I'm referring specifically to the day they release the name. The reaction will be interesting. I wonder if there will a Twitter rant?

Top Bottom