• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridli

I think the best part is panel 3 Amon. It can work on its on as a nice cross between thatsthejoke and notmyproblem.

Jintor

tumblr_m33iv3UoVY1r61gyjo1_r1_500.png

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
If Amon's story is true, it's kind of hard not to be a little sympathetic - he's not killing these people after all. He wants to remove their bending, which is perfectly understandable if what happened really did occur.

Blaming the many for the crimes of the few? Sounds well thought-out. Amon is just a racist who hates the race of the man who killed his parents.

Amir0x

Banned
6DYD0.gif

Best line in the show.

Yup. All the guys picking Meelo 'cause he's all in-your-face, but we know who the best is. Haters can't hate.

Blaming the many for the crimes of the few? Sounds well thought-out. Amon is just a racist who hates the race of the man who killed his parents.

The problem with equating it purely with racism is that, well you know, the 'powered up' individuals really do have a power that makes them superior - probably even genetically, for all we know - and that many have used it to oppress the non-bending minority. As far as we can tell, there has always been an element of that among the different classes.

Plus, Amon is not saying he wants to kill benders. He just wants to eliminate the bending powers. In that case, I would say he's taking a measured approach compared to what he could theoretically do if he amassed power and continued to take away bending from people. He's leveling the playing field.

Obviously I'm not "Team Amon", but I can sympathize with his reasons even if I think he's wrong.

Very minor episode 4 spoilers
I'm sure bending relations would go a long way if non-benders had a say in the decisions for the city

Very minor episode 4 spoilers
I'm sure bending relations would go a long way if non-benders had a say in the decisions for the city

Yeah, I was wondering why not a single non bender is present in the council. I can understand Amons motives, and as extreme as his ways are, its very obvious that benders do share the blame of creating such extremists like him. I pretty much expect Amon being a victim, of the old Gaang. The visions Korra had seemed to indicate that Amons past is directly linked with Aangs final years, and I for one hope we're going to learn more about what that is soon.

I must say though that this show has a lot more mistery than Aangs outings. The main villain alone is so much more complex and intriguing, that his mask seems like the most comical and stereotypical accessoire. Even without his mask, he is such an interesting figure. Unlike Ozai who is just drunk with power, Amons motivations look like the result of years and years of torment, humiliation and unbelievable anger mixed with an incredible intellect.

Violet_0

Banned
pretty great episode, awesome ending

(episode 4 spoiler)
Tarrlok is up to something (he might be working with Amon) but I guess that's pretty easy to tell. I suspect that Hiroshi Sato is involved in this as well.

Pretty major spoilers for that episode:
the fact he FUCKING LETS HER GO WHILE SHE WAS COMPLETELY HELPLESS has to be a slap in the face to her also

and I think we all know that this will eventually come around to bite him in the ass

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with equating it purely with racism is that, well you know, the 'powered up' individuals really do have a power that makes them superior - probably even genetically, for all we know - and that many have used it to oppress the non-bending minority.

So they should be crippled just because other people aren't as fortunate? Besides, in a world without benders there will still be triads, they'll just be using technology and chi-blocking instead of bending.

Plus, Amon is not saying he wants to kill benders. He just wants to eliminate the bending powers.

Where does that line of logic stop? There are muscular people out there who beat other people up, so should they imprison all the muscular people until their muscles atrophy so that they're physically equal to the majority?

CrazyDude

So they should be crippled just because other people aren't as fortunate? Besides, in a world without benders there will still be triads, they'll just be using technology and chi-blocking instead of bending.

Where does that line of logic stop? There are muscular people out there who beat other people up, so should they imprison all the muscular people until their muscles atrophy so that they're physically equal to the majority?

There is a difference between being muscular, and being able shoot fire out of your hands.

Gui_PT

About the episode

Some people here mentioned Amon was faking his power and the fact that he didn't take Korra's bending away kinda makes me think that is true

marrec

Banned
There is a difference between being muscular, and being able shoot fire out of your hands.

Some people shoot fire out of their hands for the greater good. Removing a large minorities special ability because a small part of that minority isn't understandable, it's extremism.

About the episode

Some people here mentioned Amon was faking his power and the fact that he didn't take Korra's bending away kinda makes me think that is true

Yeah I was thinking this too.

I hope he isn't just all talk though.

MORE EP 4 SPOILERS:

Does anyone else think that
the Satomobile sponsorship will come to bite Mako in the ass? I can see the father secretly being a douchebag. You don't become captain of the industry without being ruthless.

CoolS

About the episode

I don't know
I imagine that's why he chose a famous an notorious leader of the mafia to demonstrate power. If he started to bend again, everyone would know in a heartbeat

I don't know
I imagine that's why he chose a famous an notorious leader of the mafia to demonstrate power. If he started to bend again, everyone would know in a heartbeat

It is possible that
the Avatar could have immunity to perma-blocking. Who knows.

jdogmoney

Bending isn't only used for combat, though. Toph used it to be able to "see". In Ba Sing Se it was used for transportation. Even in LoK Benders in Republic City power the place.

Bending is a really big part of the infrastructure of the Avatar universe, not to mention the spiritual side of things. If people in our world suddenly started controlling the elements and was using it for personal gain, then someone like Amon would be totally justified in bringing them down to normal...but in this universe, bending is normal. It's the way life works. It's much more important than mere combat.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Bending isn't only used for combat, though. Toph used it to be able to "see". In Ba Sing Se it was used for transportation. Even in LoK Benders in Republic City power the place.

Bending is a really big part of the infrastructure of the Avatar universe, not to mention the spiritual side of things. If people in our world suddenly started controlling the elements and was using it for personal gain, then someone like Amon would be totally justified in bringing them down to normal...but in this universe, bending is normal. It's the way life works. It's much more important than mere combat.
Yeah, part of what makes the Equalists situation so interesting and even beyond a normal X-men scenario is that a lot of (all?) technological advancements are directly related to bending. Day-to-day jobs too, like we saw with Mako at the power plant. I hope we get episodes with this sort of social insight, it's more interesting than just having them fight it out. Approaches aside, it's easy to find good arguments on both sides of the coin. In the end I care more about Amon not becoming a cliché villain than his identity (although one thing will obviously affect the other).

Omikaru

Has episode 5 leaked yet? Episode 4 is soooo old. :p

Really, I loathe these waits.

MORE EP 4 SPOILERS:

Does anyone else think that
the Satomobile sponsorship will come to bite Mako in the ass? I can see the father secretly being a douchebag. You don't become captain of the industry without being ruthless.
Ep 4 stuff:
I don't know. One of the great things about Korra is how more surprises keep unfolding as its plot moves along. The show hasn't ceased to surprise me and play on my expectations. I think people are expecting Sato to screw The Fire Ferrets over, but I wouldn't be so sure. I think the sponsorship is really more a reason to get Mako and Asami closer, and keep her as a recurring character until they can flesh her out a bit and justify her as more than Mako's armpiece.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Over/under on Zukos Daughter being named after Iroh? I imagine it'll be cheesy as fuck once that story is revealed.

i9F2CSFN9BrGC.jpg

She had everything. As a being of incredible power, Avatar Korra was under the impression everything was going her way. But she soon comes to find that human emotion is not an element she can bend, as she enters...

THE FRIEND ZONE

Scirrocco

She went bonkers and forever spent her days in a Fire Nation Mental Asylum.

Nah. Zuko's too much of a wuss and she's too good an actress to keep her locked up forever. Worse case scenario, after a short stay in the psych ward, she 'retires', probably to Ember island.

At least, until she attempts a coup.

I just watched the episode and
i am disappointed that Amon let Korra go. It´s so typical. Hurr it´s not a good time i will get you when the plan is ready hurr. It has been done so many times. DAMMIT

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
As mentioned previously, he might be waiting for her to reach the avatar state in order to shut down the cycle permanently for whatever lore reasons they make up.

Or perhaps he wants to steal it.

As mentioned previously, he might be waiting for her to reach the avatar state in order to shut down the cycle permanently for whatever lore reasons they make up.

Or perhaps he wants to steal it.
Just an idea
he plans to enrage her by hurting someone close to her triggering the avatar state possibly in a public location, creating massive property damage and injuries to the public due to her complete lack of control and creating greater dissent in the city

The best propaganda is when the city loses faith in the hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom