• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

rezn0r

I was hoping I could just have a shortcut in BPM for each system, then select the rom from in there, no way to do this though right? If I want to use BPM I have to create a shortcut for each individual game I care about? I'm wondering because earlier someone posted a SNES Steam tile graphic...

This will always stay in 1080p full screen, so I am wondering if I'd be better off on trying out HyperSpin to then launch into RetroArch... have a feeling that may be redundant though. Is it possible to have HyperSpin pass the ROM's filename into the commandline? Not sure I'm explaining myself well. Anyone have a setup resembling what I was thinking about?

Great thread though and thanks for the tips everyone.

Edit: I'm also noticing if I run a SNES ROM and esc out (with save state on exit enabled, and .cfg file saved) the video settings such as X/Y resolution, aspect ratio, Start in fullscreen, etc are all reset back to default. Why isn't the .cfg save saving these settings? As for the controller input question I deleted - I'm an idiot and didn't realize you had to set the bindings under Input. X360 pad working great on SNES.

Thanks!

rezn0r

Thanks, I'm a fool and I was about to edit my post as you replied to it. Managed to discover that by deciding to play with the command line... so yeah that rules and does exactly what I want. My 360 controller isn't working on the bSNES menu, at least i can't choose any options, but I'm sure that's just something not binded correctly.

Thanks again!

Awakened

This will always stay in 1080p full screen, so I am wondering if I'd be better off on trying out HyperSpin to then launch into RetroArch... have a feeling that may be redundant though. Is it possible to have HyperSpin pass the ROM's filename into the commandline? Not sure I'm explaining myself well. Anyone have a setup resembling what I was thinking about?
That's how HyperSpin mainly works. When you start it you select a system, then you select a game. It then sends a command line to launch the emulator along with the ROM name, which is provided by your system's XML file, and any extra parameters you give for that system.

There's quite a bit to learn if you want to really trick it out and conform it to your tastes, but I'd say it's the most flexible frontend available currently. It could really use an update for HD resolution support though. Currently it's native resolution is 1024x768 since it was created originally with 4:3 arcade monitors in mind. Anything higher than that stretches it and makes things blurry. I don't mind running it in a window currently, but I'm looking forward to 2.0 update that was announced quite a while back which will add HD support.

I'll have to redo all my themes or hope someone makes widescreen ones I like when that happens though.

sca2511

My cousin runs it on his N7 and after an update, it totally flipped/messed up his control scheme (using a dualshock 3). Is there a fix for this?

edit: Didn't know Retroarch was multiplatform

Hyllian

Have you got a vanilla shot for comparisons sake?

Here!

Nearest Neighbor

YUzDusw.png

Mdapt Shader
UNiLQWf.png

teiresias

1. Open retroarch-phoenix.exe
2. Select what system you want from the RetroArch>Update RetroArch menu
3. Make any changes under Settings
4. Finished? Go to Settings>Save RA config>systemname.cfg

5. Back in Windows, right click on retroarch.exe>Create Shortcut
6. Right click on Shortcut>Properties>Shortcut>Target>PATH\Retroarch\retroarch.exe --menu -c NAMEOFCONFIGFROMSTEP4.cfg
OrwCHma.png

7. You can then either click on it or add it to Steam

This doesn't work for me. When I add the different shortcuts to Steam they all seem to open the same configuration (for example, my GBA.cfg is the configuration that opens even when I open the shortcut that should open using my SNES.cfg file). I've double and triple-checked the links in the shortcuts, but I can't figure out what the problem is.

Hyllian

Nearest Neighbor
RFySmrr.png

Mdapt + Crt-cgwg
QT8pHVm.jpg

Mdapt + xBR
K1lwKT7.png

Mdapt + xBR + Dilation
aSoliBH.png

xBR + Dilation
R21K8oX.png

xBR + Dilation
cOAHGIh.png

Other shots here: imgur.com/a/tQT0k

ss_lemonade

This doesn't work for me. When I add the different shortcuts to Steam they all seem to open the same configuration (for example, my GBA.cfg is the configuration that opens even when I open the shortcut that should open using my SNES.cfg file). I've double and triple-checked the links in the shortcuts, but I can't figure out what the problem is.
Try to apply the shortcut parameters inside steam. Right click the shortcut you added in steam and type in the parameters there ("path\to\retroarch.exe" --menu -c gameboy.cfg)

I try to launch the configurations from each system trhough Steam, but the cmd window always stops workings when I load a game. Just need to press Enter but is a problem that dosn't happens if I launch it outside of steam.

Someone knows what's going on?

The way that works well for me and as a bonus doesn't show any ugly cmd windows, is to make .bat files in notepad and then convert them to windowless EXE files with this app called "Slimm BAT to EXE converter". Google it.

Add those EXE files to steam as non steam games.

c0de

Anyone tried it on Ouya/another generic Tegra3-device? How is the performance? Which "engines" does RetroArch deliver for Android?

Seik

Banned
Horses for courses, but I can't stand the look of those xBR filters. Similar to the 2xSAI filters I used to try years ago but ended up not using much. The top two look amazing, the xBR ones look like a blurred mess to me.

Kinda feel the same. I think it looks beautiful in a way though...I feel conflicted.

I'm usually the kind of pixel precise guy, but that xBR definitely looks better 2XSAI...I think.

Any comparison with 2XSAI?

EDIT: Did it myself. 2XSAI looked like shit compared to Hylian's shot. Even super 2XSAI doesn't stand a chance. 4XHQ did something similar though, but I still think his shot looks better overall better, but that filter is so fucking heavy that it fucks some things up, like Zero's eyes.

4XHQ
mmx32lukx.png

xBR + Dilation
cOAHGIh.png

dose

Horses for courses, but I can't stand the look of those xBR filters. Similar to the 2xSAI filters I used to try years ago but ended up not using much. The top two look amazing, the xBR ones look like a blurred mess to me.
Yep, the xBR filters look terrible, as though the graphics have been run through Flash and fucked with.

Hyllian

...but that filter is so fucking heavy that it fucks some things up, like Zero's eyes.
Sorry, but my screenshot was taken when Zero blinks his eyes! Do not take conclusions only from stills, run the filter combo and see it in motion, it's much better!

The way that works well for me and as a bonus doesn't show any ugly cmd windows, is to make .bat files in notepad and then convert them to windowless EXE files with this app called "Slimm BAT to EXE converter". Google it.

Add those EXE files to steam as non steam games.

Thanks, I was already using that program but was using the express option.

Edit: Nope, that didn't fixed, conhost.exe still stops working.

shuri

Banned
can you please fucking EXPLAIN WHY THIS:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=73559413&postcount=19
https://www.virustotal.com/ca/file/...2d284103b683c0f6e327ced5/analysis/1375280933/

SHA256: 7c50719e13078904edb004f4995c49d4b4aef4b92d284103b683c0f6e327ced5
File name: RETROARCH filters borders.zip.exe
Detection ratio: 10 / 46
Analysis date: 2013-07-31 14:28:53 UTC ( 2 minuts ago )

Agnitum 20130730
AhnLab-V3 Win-Adware/InstallRex.300160 20130731
AntiVir ADWARE/InstallRex.Gen 20130731

Antiy-AVL 20130731
Avast Win32:Downloader-TBH [Adw] 20130731
AVG AdInstaller.P 20130731

BitDefender 20130731
ByteHero 20130724
CAT-QuickHeal 20130731
ClamAV 20130731
Commtouch 20130731
Comodo 20130731
DrWeb Adware.Downware.1166 20130731
Emsisoft 20130731
ESET-NOD32 Win32/InstalleRex.J 20130731
F-Prot 20130731
F-Secure 20130731
Fortinet 20130731
GData 20130731
Ikarus 20130731
Jiangmin 20130731
K7AntiVirus 20130730
K7GW 20130730
Kaspersky 20130731
Kingsoft Win32.Troj.Generic.a.(kcloud) 20130723
Malwarebytes PUP.Optional.Installex 20130731

McAfee 20130731
McAfee-GW-Edition 20130731
Microsoft 20130731
MicroWorld-eScan 20130731
NANO-Antivirus 20130731
Norman 20130731
nProtect 20130731
Panda 20130731
PCTools 20130731
Rising 20130731
Sophos InstallRex 20130731
SUPERAntiSpyware 20130731
Symantec 20130731
TheHacker 20130730
TotalDefense 20130730
TrendMicro 20130731
TrendMicro-HouseCall 20130731
VBA32 20130730
VIPRE Installerex/WebPick (fs) 20130731
ViRobot 20130731

Damaniel

Banned

Yes - you need to uncheck the 'download with SendSpace accelerator' option on the download page before you click the download link, otherwise that site will wrap the download in some sort of adware installer. If you uncheck that box, then you just get a plain zip file that contains the borders and shaders.

Question for everyone using RetroArch/any PC emulators.
Which controller are you using? I started using the Classic Controller Pro on my Wii based emulators and have found it a fantastic controller for older 2D stuff thanks to the great Dpad and very SNES-like face button layout.

The Xbox 360 controller wouldn't work quite so well thanks to it's well... shit d-pad.

So what do you use instead on PC?

Rich!

Which controller are you using? I started using the Classic Controller Pro on my Wii based emulators and have found it a fantastic controller for older 2D stuff thanks to the great Dpad and very SNES-like face button layout.

The Xbox 360 controller wouldn't work quite so well thanks to it's well... shit d-pad.

5258216_300x300_1.jpg

Via bluetooth and Better DS3 (recognises it as a 360 pad)

Saturn pad via a USB adapter

SNES pad via a USB adapter.

Also - you have a Wiimote and classic controller pro. You do realise you can easily use those on the PC?

teiresias

I've settled on using the following setup, shader/filter-wise:

SNES:
crt-geom-flat.cg + Blargg's SNES NTSC-RGB cpu filter

Genesis:
crt-geom-flat.cg

The crt-geom-flat.cg shader does the crt emulation (scanlines, pixel bleed/bloom), and Blargg's ntsc-rgb filter basically does a color gamut correction to make it look more like regular NTSC color space on a CRT. I prefer the rgb version because I don't understand people that want these things to look like they're running on RF or composite, the worst connections we had available to us at the time.

Unfortunately, Blargg's ntsc-rgb filter doesn't work with anything but the BSNES core properly, so I just use the CRT shader with the Genesis and put up with the less-than-accurate color gamut as a result. It's still better than nothing.

5258216_300x300_1.jpg

Via bluetooth and Better DS3 (recognises it as a 360 pad)

Saturn pad via a USB adapter

SNES pad via a USB adapter.

Also - you have a Wiimote and classic controller pro. You do realise you can easily use those on the PC?

I did have a quick look into using the Wii/Classic Controller on PC, but it seemed like a really hacky/workaround way of doing things. Maybe I found old info that's since been improved, I shall have to take a look into it a bit further.

PS3 controller seems almost perfect for the purpose as well, that nice d-pad and SNES style button layout.

Thanks for the reply!

Rich!

wahay! getting individual game links on my Steam library now, thanks to the BAT method linked on the last page! Example:

This DKC2 link boots right into this:

What's great is that using this method, I can have custom borders for each game! I'll do shortcuts this way for each of my most played, for sure. Yoshi's Island next!

Taruranto

Tried it recently to finish ToD (It keeps freezing on my PSP), loved it.

Though, I don't think I'll use it much since my main console for emulation is the PSP. Still, much better than epsxe.

wahay! getting individual game links on my Steam library now, thanks to the BAT method linked on the last page! Example:

This DKC2 link boots right into this:

What's great is that using this method, I can have custom borders for each game! I'll do shortcuts this way for each of my most played, for sure. Yoshi's Island next!

Could you post your Yoshi's Island border (and perhaps Steam Icon) if you end up making one? Booting the games this way is a complete game-changer for me, I love it!

So I'm trying to set this up, awesome OP btw, but I can't get my dualshock to work with it.

So I'm using motionjoy, have been for some time, and it recognizes button input when I am changing the input buttons and their bindings. I close everything up and load the emulator but nothing happens when pressing any buttons on my controller, whassup??

Game Guru

I actually use Logitech's controllers for my Sega Genesis Classics and indie games... Mostly the Precision and the F310. I find Logitech makes the best PC controllers IMO.

IMACOMPUTA

Installed motioninjoy drivers, and now I use Better DS3 for connecting a wireless Dualshock. Works as a 360 pad.

Anyway, I just finished setting up everything. Set up three different launchers on Steam BPM:

- Arcade
- Consoles
- Game Boy
- Game Boy Advance

Each one goes to the correct core, fully configured with a unique border, rom folder and filter. fucking sweeeeet.

Just whipped up a border for arcade games - used with the curved CRT filter, it's pretty fun for a while:

I'm going to need you to upload the exact filter/border config for that PLEEEEASE. It's beautiful.

Rich!

Right, found a photo of the old Sony trinitron I used to use when I was younger....and made a border out of it!

fuck yeah. Made a specific link on Steam BPM for the SNES emulator with this border. nostalgia to the max.

And yeah, I will upload a zip and instructions for it all later

IMACOMPUTA

I'm not at home right now, so i can't really look into the settings.. but its from within the Retroarch-Phoenix.exe

There's a tab under video settings I think, that lets you select the background.

Right, found a photo of the old Sony trinitron I used to use when I was younger....and made a border out of it!

fuck yeah. Made a specific link on Steam BPM for the SNES emulator with this border. nostalgia to the max.

Duuuude. That looks great.

You're being too nice. Those kinds of filters are abominable. Doubly shit with the stretched images.

Looking forward to it, great stuff! The Analog TV preset on the retroarch forums is a bit TOO curved for my tastes (and I've had a really hard time editing the border to work with less of a curved setting), so this seems like a great alternative for me. Just one request, could you do a version of the border with a dimmed wall or something to that effect?

Rich!

Looking forward to it, great stuff! The Analog TV preset on the retroarch forums is a bit TOO curved for my tastes (and I've had a really hard time editing the border to work with less of a curved setting), so this seems like a great alternative for me. Just one request, could you do a version of the border with a dimmed wall or something to that effect?

Yeah could do. Won't be able to until tonight due to me looking after my daughter.

Remember though, it's set for the BSNES core. It might look ok with the SNES9x core, but using the filter in other cores, like the Genesis one result in a fucked distortion.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Wow that is actually pretty impressive. Nice.

Top Bottom