• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Forum Rumor] Durango Beta has 2 APUs. Console and Controller plastered with stripes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ari

Banned
Hardly. But it would matter.

Why wouldn't it be a gamechanger when sony won't have BC? Not saying the rumor is likely legit, but that would be HUGE if true.

importing your xbox live account along with digital games and keeping your library of games to play on the nextBox would be awesome.

Why wouldn't it be a gamechanger when sony won't have BC? Not saying the rumor is likely legit, but that would be HUGE.

because the masses don't go out in droves to by a new system to play an old system's games.

it's a novelty for gamers, not the general public

KageMaru

That rumor is so 2AM EST in the morning, Durango now has 3 APUs.

lol

Sega Saturn, never forget.

lol exactly. Though I will always <3 the Saturn, no matter how much devs hated it. =p

Why wouldn't it be a gamechanger when sony won't have BC? Not saying the rumor is likely legit, but that would be HUGE if true.

No, it really wouldn't be huge. I guess for some people on GAF it would be, but it wouldn't really mean much in the bigger picture.

rdrr gnr

Isn't BC, by definition, not a game changer? Even relative to PS4, BC plays a passive but important role. They can sell on the strength of their ecosystem even if BC won't matter a year later.

Dlacy13g

I know many are saying the 2nd APU (if true) could be for BC. But could that 2nd APU be dedicated solely to the OS, social apps and rumored TV DVR functionality leaving the other APU to gaming only?

I don't claim to know a lick about how all this works just had the random thought.

Reiko

Banned
He is the chinese aegis.....

some true facts from sources combined with wishful thinking and pro ms bias.

He's actually pro Sony.

Then you are not reading the thread, I addressed this. The guy likely read it somewhere and threw it into his April fools joke to sound more believable. This is much easier to swallow then the story itself.

I love how Reiko is a martyr for some of you guys. Instead of discouraging fantastical rumor mongering, you guys enable him. The sooner you guys learn to stop weighing all rumors equally, the better off you will be. Hint, assume everything is BS until is has enough evidence and reputable sources to back it. Be a skeptic, not a fool.

As to people eating crow stuff, that is nonsense. Even if this rumor ends up being true, Reiko gets no credit, he had no valid evidence to believe it, he didn't reason through it, he didn't investigate it, he didn't even read the translated OT where everyone was laughing about April Fools. If a crazy guy yells about alien invasions for years and then an invasion happens, he is no less crazy.

I don't care if I get credit or not. This does not matter at all. Calm down man.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I know many are saying the 2nd APU (if true) could be for BC. But could that 2nd APU be dedicated solely to the OS, social apps and rumored TV DVR functionality leaving the other APU to gaming only?

I don't claim to know a lick about how all this works just had the random thought.

Yes. If there are two APU then I think it is either:

1) Durango + ARM where ARM is used for OS/system services

2) Durango + Xbox 360 SoC for BC

or even

3) Durango + Xbox 360 SoC + ARM which is the 2010 diagram.

I ruffled feathers by accepting a topic request?

Reading posts already in this thread... The Xbox 720 reveal is going to get ugly.

it really is..this is actually not a really good forum to go to when it comes to xbox anything super hostile lol.

to bad teamxbox is pretty much dead

shandy706

Link This site mentions dual APU/GPUs too.

"PROCESSOR AND GRAPHICS - updated 26/03/13
As with the PS4, the Xbox 720 looks certain to use AMD graphics hardware. VG247 reports that multiple sources have confirmed to it that the console will use two GPUs in tandem, it goes on to say that these won't be used in the usual 'CrossFire' configuration seen in PCs. We're not sure about all this as complex hardware architectures have been the failing of many consoles in the past, as a simple architecture is easier for developers to get to grips with quickly.

Other rumours have also spoken of dual graphics chips, though these may be referring to a powerful separate GPU and a smaller one integrated into the processor – much like many modern laptops. This would allow for greater power efficiency (and less noise) during media playback, with the main GPU only kicking in for games."

Also...

"“We’ve been spending a lot of time with Microsoft, but we have to let them take the lead on this, but it will be a very hot, compelling device,” he said.

“They are doing some really cool stuff, and I’m eager to hear them start their announcements because I think the world is going to stand up and take notice.” - Head of GameStop

EMT0

Banned
it really is..this is actually not a really good forum to go to when it comes to xbox anything super hostile lol.

to bad teamxbox is pretty much dead

While I don't own a 360(so take what I say with a grain of salt), I get the impression that it's a combination with people hating the idea of paying for online plus Sony IPs drawing them in that gives people a bias against MS.

Me personally, I'll readily admit that it's the pay for online stuff.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Link This site mentions dual APU/GPUs too.

"PROCESSOR AND GRAPHICS - updated 26/03/13
As with the PS4, the Xbox 720 looks certain to use AMD graphics hardware. VG247 reports that multiple sources have confirmed to it that the console will use two GPUs in tandem, it goes on to say that these won't be used in the usual 'CrossFire' configuration seen in PCs. We're not sure about all this as complex hardware architectures have been the failing of many consoles in the past, as a simple architecture is easier for developers to get to grips with quickly.

Other rumours have also spoken of dual graphics chips, though these may be referring to a powerful separate GPU and a smaller one integrated into the processor – much like many modern laptops. This would allow for greater power efficiency (and less noise) during media playback, with the main GPU only kicking in for games."

Also...

"“We’ve been spending a lot of time with Microsoft, but we have to let them take the lead on this, but it will be a very hot, compelling device,” he said.

“They are doing some really cool stuff, and I’m eager to hear them start their announcements because I think the world is going to stand up and take notice.” - Head of GameStop

I wonder if the rumour is true wether you could use the smaller GPU to render rich gaming content to another device like Xbox SmartGlass.

ypo

New post from BD, who made the post in the OP:

Translation:

To the guy who reposted on neogaf, you must have negative intelligence.

The next time I do this, I'll say the Durango has 4 APUs instead, so you'll not believe it.

Let it go.

Reiko

Banned
Let it go.

Yes. Let's not post rumors of a console that Microsoft has not officially announced. And while he is clearly talking out of his ass, it doesn't give him a pass on how he knew about the striped controllers and colors before Kotaku posted it.

kmag

Yes. If there are two APU then I think it is either:

1) Durango + ARM where ARM is used for OS/system services

2) Durango + Xbox 360 SoC for BC

or even

3) Durango + Xbox 360 SoC + ARM which is the 2010 diagram.

I think if there is any truth to the 2 APU rumour that it's more likely to be

APU 1 (8x x86 core + 1.2tf GPU) and APU 2 (some ARM processor variant + some form of low power GPU, this might not even be an APU as such but two discreet components)

This would allow Durango to be used as a STB without the power draw/and cooling requirements for the 'main' system. Outside allowing the OS to be run on the ARM processor it wouldn't really affect the overall 'power' of the console at all (at a push the weaker GPU might be able to be used for some compute but I'm not really sure how that would work with memory access etc)

I'm not really sure if BC is much of a draw, it tends to be a big feature at the start of a generation then becomes an non-issue relatively quickly. I doubt very much they try to run the OS on the 360 SOC, it wouldn't fit in with the STB idea that well (still too hot and noisy)

w1y!

Banned
:)

What will happen if Durango is not always online but ps4 is.

Btw I'm being flippant. The fanboy arguments from both sides is hilarious. Some of you need to relax and get some women in your life.

P.s Durango to be a levitating console just confirmed via some Mongolian website. Please discuss

Smash

Banned
Is there no moderation in this forum anymore for god's sake? Don't you think some of the posters in here are ridiculously juvenile or am I getting too old for this forum?

EMT0

Banned
For me it's that Bill Gates once released mosquitos at a conference I attended and since then I had malaria.

Eh, it's not like I actively bash MS(which I don't). I simply have a disinclination to buy their hardware due to the things I perceive negatively.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Is there no moderation in this forum anymore for god's sake? Don't you think some of the posters in here are ridiculously juvenile or am I getting too old for this forum?

It's a rumour thread. That gives it a fair bit of latitude.

ypo

Yes. Let's not post rumors of a console that Microsoft has not officially announced. And while he is clearly talking out of his ass, it doesn't give him a pass on how he knew about the striped controllers and colors before Kotaku posted it.

It's not a rumor it was a joke on you. I'm guessing you are still hanging on to the joke with that last bit of comment.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
P.s Durango to be a levitating console just confirmed via some Mongolian website. Please discuss
I see you're a Junior Member and as such can't create threads. If you want that rumor discussed here is what you do:

- Create a forum-account on Beyond3D
- Create thread with said rumor
- Wait for thread on GAF by the OP

gaming_noob

All will be forgiven when Harrison walks up on stage at E3, gives a little speech about what they've been working hard on the last couple of years. Then the lights dim, video starts: A glimpse of a sea of skyscrapers in the night, the noise effects of strong wind around you and street car effects below you...you're evidently on top of a building. Wait... this seems familiar. The player pulls out a Falcon 2 gun model with flashy reload animation and motion blur. Perfect Dark 2. Alright I'll stop dreaming. The game is coming though...either by Black Tusk or Rare..the franchise is too big to ignore.

Reiko

Banned
It's not a rumor it was a joke on you. I'm guessing you are still hanging on to the joke with that last bit of comment.

A joke on me? I took a request from other Gaffers and posted it from another GAffer. If you can't put 2 and 2 together then the joke is actually on you.

What's sad is the need to attack the OP in these topics.

w1y!

Banned
I see you're a Junior Member and as such can't create threads. If you want that rumor discussed here is what you do:

- Create a forum-account on Beyond3D
- Create thread with said rumor
- Wait for thread on GAF by the OP

Just made me laugh because the delusion in this thread is funny as fuck. I mean wasn't the source already announced as an April fools yet people are still clinging onto it.

ekim

First and foremost it is simply fun to speculate about this wild rumors. It is ok to try to debunk them but a lot of people seem to forget their manners and should accept that not everyone here is that tech savvy to instantly recognize rumors as unrealistic. Stop treating that people as idiots and rather explain them in a classy fashion why something is bullshit.

Also remember the 8GB GDDR5 meltdowns. ;)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I think if there is any truth to the 2 APU rumour that it's more likely to be

APU 1 (8x x86 core + 1.2tf GPU) and APU 2 (some ARM processor variant + some form of low power GPU, this might not even be an APU as such but two discreet components)

This would allow Durango to be used as a STB without the power draw/and cooling requirements for the 'main' system. Outside allowing the OS to be run on the ARM processor it wouldn't really affect the overall 'power' of the console at all (at a push the weaker GPU might be able to be used for some compute but I'm not really sure how that would work with memory access etc)

I'm not really sure if BC is much of a draw, it tends to be a big feature at the start of a generation then becomes an non-issue relatively quickly. I doubt very much they try to run the OS on the 360 SOC, it wouldn't fit in with the STB idea that well (still too hot and noisy)

I think the ARM could be used to draw a tiny amount of power so the box is never off and can boot instantly. Kind of like an iPad. It's always turned on, just sleeps and wakes instantly.

Smash

Banned
It's a rumour thread. That gives it a fair bit of latitude.

Just for the record I wasn't talking about guys like you who are making jokes but for posters who are genuinely stupid. Anyway, I'll make sure to stay out of rumor threads from now on.

Agree with ya bro. I owend Both of them but my main was 360. Its just so hilarious to read those articles now and then. Whether someone likes it ot not. XBOX is here to stay.

I had this same discussion with my friend who is a PS fan in 2007. I told him that XBOX is gonna lock USA down , lose in japan And splitt EU with PS3 and will live as long as PS3.
I share your sentiments, but I don't necessarily thing "real gamers" support all systems.

I borrowed a friend's Xbox to play a few Halo titles and Gears, and the original bioshock before it came to PS3, but I traded mines in once I got PS3 like 5 years ago. there were a few titles I wanted to play here and there (braid/Limbo etc...) but I didn't care for MS's philosophy or PR, or there 1st party exclusives. I also don't really play shooters, and really that seemed like the system's greatest strength along with software making most things more convenient and streamlined. That doesn't make me want to support the company for those innovations though, it's still all about the games.

MS is currently trying to have success in the smartphone, tablet, consumer PC space and all of those areas are not doing so well. They don't have a rival with games on PC, but even that is beginning to shift IMO. Having a monopoly on something can always lead to a company slacking, and I just think MS has monopolized windows for far too long. Now you have Apple/Android/Google/Steam in the limelight, and I for one, will not rule out Xbox getting less suport if MS doesn't innovate this gen. The advantages from this gen look to be completely negated with both consoles seeming to be on equal footing in power and ease of development. What will separate them is compelling software, and I for one haven't been impressed with anything MS has done in a while besides snatching exclusives. So no, I don't think as soon as something comes out and is labeled "good" all gamers just go and support it. I love the gaming industry, but hate just about everything the xbox brand has started. Dude Bro, focus on online, focus on shooters, yeah all of it...

Would be nice if MS expanded what Xbox means this coming up gen.

btw--what the heck happend in this thread? Has any new news come out of all this?

gaming_noob

First and foremost it is simply fun to speculate about this wild rumors. It is ok to try to debunk them but a lot of people seem to forget their manners and should accept that not everyone here is that tech savvy to instantly recognize rumors as unrealistic. Stop treating that people as idiots and rather explain them in a classy fashion why something is bullshit.

Also remember the 8GB GDDR5 meltdowns. ;)

I agree 100%. There's no need to be offensive. People are blatantly targeting Reiko now. We're all trying to have some fun in here.

importing your xbox live account along with digital games and keeping your library of games to play on the nextBox would be awesome.

Honestly, I think MS is more worried with Win 8 "BC" with phones and PC.

PS3 fanboys are the WORST. They are like maggots on NeoGAF. Everywhere. Every fucking thread. Jesus.

Lmao.

jaxpunk

A joke on me? I took a request from other Gaffers and posted it from another GAffer. If you can't put 2 and 2 together then the joke is actually on you.

What's sad is the need to attack the OP in these topics.

The answer is 4 right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom