• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Burnout Paradise Remastered coming to PS4, Xbox One, Switch

People who don’t like Paradise aren’t real Burnout fans. Sure 3 and Ravenge stuck with the old arcade racer formula and crash mode was always fun to play, but Paradise opened up the franchise with an open world to mess around and expand on.

Criterion was always supporting the game post launch with fun Easter eggs like the DeLorean car, adding bikes as a different way to play, and the Big Surf Island expansion.

Paradise still holds a special place my heart for one my favorite racing games of all time and if rumor true I’ll be happy to pick this gem up.

As for all the posers, this is the perfect time to show support for this release if you want to see this franchise to return.

Thanks arbiter of arcade racing for telling me what I’m a fan of. I happen to think 2 and 3 were the best, revenge was pretty good and paradise played nothing like the previous 3 so imo it wasn’t anything special.

autoduelist

Paradise turned it into another open world borefest, where you spend more time finding a race than racing, and a wrong turn on the bland city streets during a race ruins your race.

They eventually patched it so you can easily teleport to any race.

As for taking a wrong turn? I don't know, I found the courses not only had a lot of diversity, but you could often have real choices in which path you took, but all 'worked'. I never really had this issue, whereas I have had it in other games. I don't really feel like that's a problem with 'open world' racers, since even non-open world race games sometimes offer branching paths and/or 'left turns onto highway' where right turn = mess up.

They eventually patched it so you can easily teleport to any race.

Nope, I just launched my digital BC Burnout Paradise and I don't see any option to teleport to different events or to the garage. I even did a google search and haven't been able to find any info on how to teleport to different events.

And yes, having to keep looking at the map and all the street signs and even keep track of street names because if you miss a turn, the event ends is very annoying.

It turns an arcade racer into a boring map reading simulation. What happened to closed tracks like those in all the previous Burnout games?

What happened to local co-op with split screen?

Nope, I just launched my digital BC Burnout Paradise and I don't see any option to teleport to different events or to the garage. I even did a google search and haven't been able to find any info on how to teleport to different events.

They made it so you could restart an event you were destined to lose without driving back to the start.

And yes, having to keep looking at the map and all the street signs and even keep track of street names because if you miss a turn, the event ends is very annoying.

It turns an arcade racer into a boring map reading simulation. What happened to closed tracks like those in all the previous Burnout games?

What happened to local co-op with split screen?

It's called learning where roads lead and where they intersect. Much like in real life. If you have to rely on the map for everything you're playing the game wrong. The map is a tool not a replacement for learning the gameworld.

Petrae

It's called learning where roads lead and where they intersect. Much like in real life. If you have to rely on the map for everything you're playing the game wrong. The map is a tool not a replacement for learning the gameworld.

That makes it a racing SIMULATION, not an ARCADE racing game. Having to learn/memorize a network of roads, streets, and highways isn’t what arcade gaming is about; it’s fucking busy work.

Closed tracks, which are what most arcade racing games use, allow the player to focus more on the action in front of them. That split second you just used to look at the map or those precious seconds lost making a late turn just cost you the race, which you now have to restart because of something that has nothing to do with the race action at all.

Burnout died when it ceased being Burnout and wanted to be Midnight Club instead.

Leonidas

Would rather they just add 4K support to the already BC 360 version(like they did with Mirror's Edge & Skate 3).

Pete_Lewis

Neo Member
If there going to remaster/re-release Burnout then do it to the 1st 3 which are the best one's (With 3 been the best). I was a huge fan of the 1st 3 Burnout games but hated Paradise, That just didn't feel like a Burnout game to me.

The open world/open route nature took away a lot of the fast paced, manic, close quarters action that the prior titles featured. Paradise was slower, It was less frantic & less action packed because the open route nature often spread everyone out over different routes.

I also hated having to drive around to select a race or find/drive to a scrap yard to change cars. I much preferred been able to select everything via a menu like in the previous games where you could just jump in & quickly/easily get to the event you wanted in the car you wanted.

TBH though open world driving games just aren't my thing, Same reason I prefer Forza Motorsport over Forza Horizon & some of the older NFS games over the more recent open world one's. Clearly many enjoy just driving around & exploring/messing around in an open world, I however Just want to jump in & race or do whatever type of event it is I feel like without having to drive around to find it, I always found that aspect to be quite boring.

I think a remaster of Burnout 2, 3 or Revenge makes the most sense. All three are excellent arcade racers that play differently. Burnout 2 is pretty much an upgraded Burnout 1 is it not?

That makes it a racing SIMULATION, not an ARCADE racing game. Having to learn/memorize a network of roads, streets, and highways isn't what arcade gaming is about; it's fucking busy work.

Closed tracks, which are what most arcade racing games use, allow the player to focus more on the action in front of them. That split second you just used to look at the map or those precious seconds lost making a late turn just cost you the race, which you now have to restart because of something that has nothing to do with the race action at all.

Burnout died when it ceased being Burnout and wanted to be Midnight Club instead.

Exactly, they should have named Burnout Paradise...

Burnout Map Memorization Simulator - Don't Forget to read every street name, Waste of Time Looking for Events Edition

autoduelist

They made it so you could restart an event you were destined to lose without driving back to the start.

oh, sorry, that must be what i was thinking of. i love the game, never really had any issues with map navigation or getting anywhere.

the restart race thing was really needed.

Brizzo24

I threw this fake box-art together in photoshop, and submitted it to Reddit's r/gaming over a year ago. This is what we should be expecting!

3DhNK2Q.jpg

I threw this fake box-art together in photoshop, and submitted it to Reddit's r/gaming over a year ago. This is what we should be expecting!

3DhNK2Q.jpg

Fantastic. Although I would prefer Burnout 2 to both Paradise and Crash.

I still can't believe it's been 12 years since Burnout Revenge, the last fun Burnout game ever made.

That makes it a racing SIMULATION, not an ARCADE racing game. Having to learn/memorize a network of roads, streets, and highways isn’t what arcade gaming is about; it’s fucking busy work.

Lots of arcade games require route memorization. Crazy Taxi, for example. Or Pac-Man! Burnout Paradise is way more forgiving than any actual arcade game, though, because it rarely matters if you miss a turn - the CPU drivers will slow right down until you catch up. Or you could just pause the game and look at your map as much as you want, that's what I did (and it was about as fun as it sounds).

sainraja

You don't like a game to be challenging?

JonTheShark

Neo Member
Second best game of last gen, behind dark souls. Switch version too please! 😍

The Brazilian advisory rating coordination also rated Burnout Paradise for Nintendo Switch 😍😍😍😍😍.

burnout-paradise-classificacao-indicativa.jpg

Very bizarre, I told a friend last weekend that most likely Burnout Paradise would come out for PS4 and Xbox One, and who knows as bonuses we would win a version for Switch. In less than a week after commenting that, this leak occurs. The same thing happened with Resident Evil Revelations 1 & 2 for Switch.

There's a difference between challenging and boring. When compared to any of the previous Burnout games, Burnout Paradise is boring.

it rarely matters if you miss a turn - the CPU drivers will slow right down until you catch up. Or you could just pause the game and look at your map as much as you want, that's what I did (and it was about as fun as it sounds).

That's whats so godawful about it. There is nothing arcadey about any of this. You spend way more time and attention to checking the map and making sure you don't miss a turn than you do to what's actually going on in the race or trying to go as fast as possible.

The pick and play experience, and the couch co-op experience were sacrificed as well. Before, when I had a little time to kill, I would just boot up Burnout 2/3/Revenge and play a quick event, of my choice, on the track I want. On Burnout Paradise, that's not an option, I have to spend 20 minutes driving around to find an event I want to play. It feels like a 20 min loading screen.

There's a difference between challenging and boring. When compared to any of the previous Burnout games, Burnout Paradise is boring.

Burnout Paradise was boring, no doubt, but it still wasn't as aggressively unfun as Burnout Revenge. Traffic checking? Fuck off. Here are my overriding memories of Burnout Revenge:

1. Spending ten minutes on the first traffic attack, getting increasingly impatient with the ever-extending timer until I finally just pull over and wait for it to tick down. Platinum medal, hooray.

2. Breezing through all four races of the final grand prix in first place on my first try, only to end up with a gold medal for driving too good. I had to go back and finish the first three races in first place, sit on the starting line of the fourth until the other cars pulled ahead, then spend the rest of the race slamming into them from behind to get my style rating from GREAT to AWESOME, ultimately finishing in last place and winning the platinum medal on points.

3. Spending half my total playtime on a small handful of burning laps that had to be executed flawlessly. The only genuinely challenging events in the game, and they were time trials. Nobody likes time trials, nobody!

I probably would've hated Paradise if I played it right after Takedown, but coming after the atrocity that was Revenge really softened the blow. At least it didn't look like a bloomy brown urban smear anymore.

So my main takeaway from this thread is there seems to be some kind of massive divide between people that want nothing more than a bunch of courses accessed via menu vs. people who prefer the open world of Paradise.

I definitely preferred the open world because I could practice doing all manner of different things just cruising around without being obligated to take on an event until I was ready. I could just cruise around causing mayhem and learning how different vehicles handled.This, to me, is far more fun than just progressing from track to track like in the older games. But I guess the world would be boring if people didn't like different things.

Södy

Burnout Paradise was boring, no doubt, but it still wasn't as aggressively unfun as Burnout Revenge. Traffic checking? Fuck off. Here are my overriding memories of Burnout Revenge:

1. Spending ten minutes on the first traffic attack, getting increasingly impatient with the ever-extending timer until I finally just pull over and wait for it to tick down. Platinum medal, hooray.

2. Breezing through all four races of the final grand prix in first place on my first try, only to end up with a gold medal for driving too good. I had to go back and finish the first three races in first place, sit on the starting line of the fourth until the other cars pulled ahead, then spend the rest of the race slamming into them from behind to get my style rating from GREAT to AWESOME, ultimately finishing in last place and winning the platinum medal on points.

3. Spending half my total playtime on a small handful of burning laps that had to be executed flawlessly. The only genuinely challenging events in the game, and they were time trials. Nobody likes time trials, nobody!

I probably would've hated Paradise if I played it right after Takedown, but coming after the atrocity that was Revenge really softened the blow. At least it didn't look like a bloomy brown urban smear anymore.

1. Agree, waiting till the time expired sucked

2. nope. Burnout is not only about winning the race, also about creating chaos. You could also get an awesome rating without takedowns if you only drove on the wrong way, do jumps, etc.

3. I thought the burning laps were awesome because you had to hit them perfect. The hot rod one in the woods.... oh booy what a lot of joy, when I finally did it.

I had all stars in 360 and still play my PS2 copy. Best arcade racer ever made.

Zimmy68

Oh man, as much as I want an Xbox One X enhanced Burnout Paradise, a portable Switch version?
Count me in!

One of the reason I bought a Vita was the excellent version of Most Wanted on it.

Rick1o1

Burnout 3 is my favorite.

I'm actually surprised that so many people here seem to love paradise. I hated it and it's boring open world and all the people I know who played the previous entries like 3 didn't like it either.

JP

Nobody Remembers Burnout Dominator on the PS2? It came after Revenge.
PSP too, I actually owned both versions of them and I loved the PSP version.

I'm surprised it doesn't get more love as it was very much a return to the form of the first two Burnout games. Possibly it doesn't get the attention it deserves because it wasn't developed by Criterion?

Pete_Lewis

Neo Member
Burnout Dominator was good, However there was something about it that wasn't quite as good as the previous games..... I think the fact it was a handheld game for PSP that was ported over to PS2 resulted in it feeling a bit more barren & less chaotic than the others.

With regards to Revenge, I thought it was good but I don't think it was as good as 3. The traffic check mechanic took away some of the skill in terms of precision that you needed in 3 because you could just plow through the cars rather than having to be precise in getting close to them (To earn points/boost) but not actually hit them.

One of the things that really drew me to those 1st 3 games was not just the fast paced, chaotic nature of the closed route racing (Although that was also a big part) but also because having to be really precise in weaving through the traffic not just to stay ahead of the ai racers but also to earn the points & boost was some of the most fun i've ever had with any game of that type.
Driving towards oncoming traffic & then hitting the boost button with a full boost bar & then having to concentrate to navigate through while constantly chaining the boost multipliers was so much fun to be doing & so rewarding if you were good enough to get through it.

Interestingly looking back at the reviews for the various games, Paradise on average received lower review scores than 2, 3 & Revenge with it only scoring higher than 1, Legends & Dominator. 3 & revenge scored a lot of low/mid 9's, Paradise mid/high 8's.
On metacritic 3 is the highest ranked in the series at 94/93 (PS2/XB) with Paradise at 87/87/88 (PS3/PC/360).

So my main takeaway from this thread is there seems to be some kind of massive divide between people that want nothing more than a bunch of courses accessed via menu vs. people who prefer the open world of Paradise.

I definitely preferred the open world because I could practice doing all manner of different things just cruising around without being obligated to take on an event until I was ready. I could just cruise around causing mayhem and learning how different vehicles handled.This, to me, is far more fun than just progressing from track to track like in the older games. But I guess the world would be boring if people didn't like different things.

You're right its a fundamental difference of what suits your personality. I argue with my best bud about this regularly. He loves open worlds and having a million thing to do and driving around aimlessly at times I prefer to be in a menu, select my event, play said event, then back to the menu to choose another. One of my biggest gaming pet peaves is travelling to and from events, it does nothing for me but feel like im wasting my time.

That's whats so godawful about it. There is nothing arcadey about any of this. You spend way more time and attention to checking the map and making sure you don't miss a turn than you do to what's actually going on in the race or trying to go as fast as possible.

The pick and play experience, and the couch co-op experience were sacrificed as well. Before, when I had a little time to kill, I would just boot up Burnout 2/3/Revenge and play a quick event, of my choice, on the track I want. On Burnout Paradise, that's not an option, I have to spend 20 minutes driving around to find an event I want to play. It feels like a 20 min loading screen.

Exactly my opinion about this unfunny game.

Harlock

Had a lot of fun with the original and is easy to play again. I remember being one of first full disc games to get a digital release in the PS3.

sainraja

Burnout Paradise was an awesome game. I've spent so many hours playing it nearly to 100% competition. One of the best arcade racing games if you ask me.

I loved Burnout Revenge as well (it's what introduced me to the series) but unlike other fans, I welcomed the change brought forward by Paradise. I really hope this is true.

Any concrete details come forth yet?

autoduelist

This thread feels like it just perfectly explains why we don't get many arcade racers anymore. People are so... finicky. That is, they have one example of the perfect nostalgic arcade racer in their memory, and any game that deviates from that gets dinged, hard.

I mean, take NFS. Every single game they try something quite new - some games are open world, some aren't. Some have car vs. cop tech and 'fights', some don't. Some have tons of tuning, some don't. Some have a deep story, some don't. Sometimes they'll take pieces of one, and combine it with another [sort of like Rivals was Hot Pursuit + Most Wanted].

Overall, they take chances... the only other franchise that I can think of that constantly just reinvents itself like that is Final Fantasy.

But in arcade racers? It really feels like people only want -their- favorite style of arcade racer. Open world? Half the audience automatically hates it. Not open world? The other half does. Too much drifting? No!!! Too little? Screw this sim! Rubber banding? What's the point if they always catch up to me! No rubber banding? I can never catch up to them, one tiny mistake and I might as well restart!

I don't blame so many for exiting from this genre with such a massively critical fanbase. Me, I'm pretty easy. I love almost all of them... Burnouts, NFS, Split Second, Blur... heck, I even enjoy Asphalt on Vita, and that's a budget jank fest.

I'm playing NFS Payback right now and loving it. People were acting like it was a disaster, and I literally can't find a issue about it that I don't like. Even the upgrade system, which is a bit odd, works for me all right. It's not particularly hard to max out a car, and it's an interesting 'lewt' take on finding cool parts that doesn't rely [at all] on real money - sort of like a simplified take on Borderlands lewt with different brands and stats, etc.

Burnout Paradise was so much damn fun.

Next, I'd like Hot Pursuit on my PS4, please.

Ryde3

ah man why Paradise? The open world turned me right off. I would LOVE even just a Burnout 3 or 4 Xbox One X enhanced update. Remaster even better though!

This thread feels like it just perfectly explains why we don't get many arcade racers anymore. People are so... finicky. That is, they have one example of the perfect nostalgic arcade racer in their memory, and any game that deviates from that gets dinged, hard.

I mean, take NFS. Every single game they try something quite new - some games are open world, some aren't. Some have car vs. cop tech and 'fights', some don't. Some have tons of tuning, some don't. Some have a deep story, some don't. Sometimes they'll take pieces of one, and combine it with another [sort of like Rivals was Hot Pursuit + Most Wanted].

Overall, they take chances... the only other franchise that I can think of that constantly just reinvents itself like that is Final Fantasy.

But in arcade racers? It really feels like people only want -their- favorite style of arcade racer. Open world? Half the audience automatically hates it. Not open world? The other half does. Too much drifting? No!!! Too little? Screw this sim! Rubber banding? What's the point if they always catch up to me! No rubber banding? I can never catch up to them, one tiny mistake and I might as well restart!

I don't blame so many for exiting from this genre with such a massively critical fanbase. Me, I'm pretty easy. I love almost all of them... Burnouts, NFS, Split Second, Blur... heck, I even enjoy Asphalt on Vita, and that's a budget jank fest.

I'm playing NFS Payback right now and loving it. People were acting like it was a disaster, and I literally can't find a issue about it that I don't like. Even the upgrade system, which is a bit odd, works for me all right. It's not particularly hard to max out a car, and it's an interesting 'lewt' take on finding cool parts that doesn't rely [at all] on real money - sort of like a simplified take on Borderlands lewt with different brands and stats, etc.

Burnout Paradise was so much damn fun.

Next, I'd like Hot Pursuit on my PS4, please.

You're not wrong that people are finicky and there's never one game to appeal to everyone.

For me personally, its only the open world factor, that's it thats all. I hate how it has invaded almost every genre at this point and ruined a lot of my favourite franchises... obviously Im in the minority so I'll stay losing. If it were a combined open world AND menu race selection then I'd be fine with that, but it drives me insane traveling to and from events, absolutely fucking insane waste of time is all I can think of when I'm doing it. Let me open a map or menu and just pick the race and leave the option for people that do enjoy open worlds to travel to and from events.

I don't understand why its always forced on you to travel to and from events in these games when they could easily offer the option to satisfy both types of gamers.

NFS Rivals has a decent option for this but you still have to make it to a home base which is annoying but at least doable, I've had a lot of fun with that game.

Wonko_C

I remember NFS Underground 2 being open world but once in a race the roads were closed off so it was basically circuit racing. I'm ok with that approach.

I remember NFS Underground 2 being open world but once in a race the roads were closed off so it was basically circuit racing. I'm ok with that approach.

Do you know if you still need to travel to and from events or can you just select them? I might try and track it down for PS if not.

autoduelist

You're not wrong that people are finicky and there's never one game to appeal to everyone.

For me personally, its only the open world factor, that's it thats all. I hate how it has invaded almost every genre at this point and ruined a lot of my favourite franchises... obviously Im in the minority so I'll stay losing. If it were a combined open world AND menu race selection then I'd be fine with that, but it drives me insane traveling to and from events, absolutely fucking insane waste of time is all I can think of when I'm doing it. Let me open a map or menu and just pick the race and leave the option for people that do enjoy open worlds to travel to and from events.

I don't understand why its always forced on you to travel to and from events in these games when they could easily offer the option to satisfy both types of gamers.

NFS Rivals has a decent option for this but you still have to make it to a home base which is annoying but at least doable, I've had a lot of fun with that game.

The new NFS has a lot of things to teleport to: gas stations littered over the map [20 of them, I think] and garages [5 of them, i think]. No race is far from any of those. Also, in most but not all cases, the end of one story race is near the beginning of the next [with some story based exceptions].

However, there are lots of challenges [drift, speed run, speed trap, jumps] littered around the map, so I always find stuff to do just driving around, too. [and actually, some of the speed runs and drifts are damn hard in a fun way].

I do think you should be able to teleport to any race you've done before... like, I'd much prefer that. But they let you teleport 'close enough', so it's not something I'm upset about.

NFS Payback does this too.

It's -very- obvious [on screen prompts - like, >>>>>>> in blue wrapped around the corner] guiding you which direction for every turn, and well placed waypoints making it extra clear [like, you'll see the big circle waypoint 20 feet down a highway exit, making it clear you need to take the exit.

In police missions, wrong turns are also usually barricaded.

I really feel like they did a great job with this one, which is why I was so blown away by the negative reception. I didn't buy it at launch because of this, and waited til black friday. Been playing it ever since. I wish it had 'tech' because I like the NFSs that give you EMP and stuff, but other than that, it's aces.

-------------------------

RE OPEN WORLD:

I think my previous descriptions actually speak a lot to a key point - open worlds in racing games are still evolving.

Burnout Paradise was pretty early, so they're experimenting. It lets you get from A to B any way you want. Now, you see most are evolving on screen prompts ensuring you go the right way, effectively making it 'not' open world once you start a race. Payback does have some minor shortcuts [usually cutting corners], which is nice - Hot Pursuit had that too, and HP wasn't open world.

I think, with some tweaks and features [teleport to race, nice on screen guides], you effectively get the best of both worlds: circuit racing during races, with exploration for challenges, etc, when you feel like it.

Top Bottom