• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT4| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question, Manga-gaf. Is GTO: 14 Days in Shonan enjoyable as a standalone series? I'm interested in the GTO manga, but haven't read it because it's out of print.

Shouta

I dunno...maybe if this were years ago but I see this being a huge setup for disappointment. I don't see him being able to do this for the years needed to really make such a huge development work

He could be teasing it and never do it, that would be the ultimate evil.

However, the manga still has to take care of the spiders for Kurapica and give Leorio a full story of his own before it ends, if you ask me.

Solune

once they fill that fucking hole then i will continue this series
That's my stance on it too :lol.
I have a question, Manga-gaf. Is GTO: 14 Days in Shonan enjoyable as a standalone series? I'm interested in the GTO manga, but haven't read it because it's out of print.

It is good as a standalone, however, there are cameos from both Shonan Junai Gumi and GTO. You'd get more enjoyment if you have read at least one or the other first. It is definitely not a requirement to appreciate the humour though.

That's my stance on it too :lol.

It is good as a standalone, however, there are cameos from both Shonan Junai Gumi and GTO. You'd get more enjoyment if you have read at least one or the other first. It is definitely not a requirement to appreciate the humour though.

I see, thanks! I'll jump right into 14 Days in Shonan then to enjoy the humor.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
So after listening to your guys suggestions here I picked up the first two volumes of Death Note.

I tried to find Vagabond and Berserk, but the store I went to didn't have the first for either :(.

Desmond

So after listening to your guys suggestions here I picked up the first two volumes of Death Note.

I tried to find Vagabond and Berserk, but the store I went to didn't have the first for either :(.

I wouldn't pick up them yet, they're not finished yet, and I think they have an odd serialisation pattern

KHR

Very nice twist at the end, but it´s crap that Xanxus did not destroy Hibari.

Toriko

I always laugh at the ridiculousness of the animals in this manga. It´s just fun.

Ao No Exorcist

Very nice development. Okumura finally realized that he can´t escape his demonic powers.

He could be teasing it and never do it, that would be the ultimate evil.

However, the manga still has to take care of the spiders for Kurapica and give Leorio a full story of his own before it ends, if you ask me.

I agree with the spiders part only because they showed up after york shin with hints of healing the leader. That entire storyline didn't need to be expanded after york shin. It was nicely wrapped up. Kurapica sort of got his revenge and paid the price for it. The ryodan kept going in spite of the leader's defeat. HxH is very unconventional at times. There's no need to 'finish them off'. They can just be a presence in the HxH world, like the Zoldyck family.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't pick up them yet, they're not finished yet, and I think the have an odd serialisation pattern

They're hard to find anyway lol.

Nausicaa was hard to find as well. The chapters I went to sucks.

I agree with the spiders part only because they showed up after york shin with hints of healing the leader. That entire storyline didn't need to be expanded after york shin. It was nicely wrapped up. Kurapica sort of got his revenge and paid the price for it. The ryodan kept going in spite of the leader's defeat. HxH is very unconventional at times. There's no need to 'finish them off'. They can just be a presence in the HxH world, like the Zoldyck family.

How do you figure? Wasn't Kurapica's goal to wipe them all out? He hasn't obtained his true revenge until they all go down.

I still need to read this week's chapters. Too busy at work right now.

Azure J

Aku No Hana

Oh Takao, stalking is the in thing for you now? I wonder why his ex's friend is getting so riled up about him now.

Tasogare Otome X Amnesia

Dat kiss. Kirie's grandmother is going to ruin this shit though, guaranteed.

Fujimura-kun Meitsu

Amazing that not only did I see that "twist" coming, the most normal character turns out to be an underaged and potentially lesbian stalker chick. :lol

Trinity Seven

Evil twin soon to be adopted into the harem? Check that box. Also, I've got to say that some serious "magical gear" she's got on...
If you consider that clothed anyway?

I need to catch up on my shonen soon. :p

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia 31

I meant to stop reading this once the anime was announced but it's so good I can't help myself. Also I kinda wanted someone to see Teiichi making out with thin air.

Minamoto-kun Monogatari 22

FUEH!?

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
So . . I've finally decided to try and read . . again . .

Beserk||ch.1-3

It's crazy how something just doesn't click one day but on another try I can't see why I didn't just marathon through all of it in a day. It's not much more than ridiculous sword, "chop chop", "damn that's brutal", "jesus even the little girl? wtf", "chop chop you're in half too" right now but it's strangely engrossing. Far more so than I remember it being, at least.

And now we're getting into the good stuff; world building starts, talk about God Hands, a behilit key thing, it's getting funnier and really starting to roll.

This will be a good ride, won't it?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Trinity Seven

Evil twin soon to be adopted into the harem? Check that box. Also, I've got to say that some serious "magical gear" she's got on...
If you consider that clothed anyway?

I need to catch up on my shonen soon. :p

every female he talks to is gonna end up in his harem.

Well glad that viz decided to do the One piece x Toriko crossover manga (free), but now if funimation would air it...

One thing I like about Toriko are the fan submissions, and I guess Oda did it too with the recent cover arts which seem like request from irl people.

Kreed

Beelzebub 146:

I don't want to get my hopes up that the author has finally figured out his strength when it comes to Beelzebub, but so far these comedy chapters have been great. Consistently funny chapters with absolutely no hints of a battle/training arc, and the story needs to stay this way. I don't mind if the author wants to do "comedy battles" like the volleyball tournament, but keep the story away from crap like the pillars and Hilda's kidnapping.

neoanarch

Beelzebub 146:

I don't want to get my hopes up that the author has finally figured out his strength when it comes to Beelzebub, but so far these comedy chapters have been great. Consistently funny chapters with absolutely no hints of a battle/training arc, and the story needs to stay this way. I don't mind if the author wants to do "comedy battles" like the volleyball tournament, but keep the story away from crap like the pillars and Hilda's kidnapping.

I get the feeling he was trying to emulate the Gintama formula. Sket Dance can sort of pull it off. But Beel doesn't lend itself to the sudden tone changes. He just isn't that strong of a character writer.

upandaway

Magi 74

No no no no no no no don't stop THERE come on!

Magico

Couldn't he just reverse his magic?

But oh well. I guess, whatever.

Beelzebub

That was just special. Teacher not remembering Furuichi's name, Nene joining in the fantasies, etc. Special.

Toriko

Oh man this was a pretty big deal. Ai and all. Plus I didn't think the Doctrine is a religion.

And I really dig this 1-chapter-chain-capturing arc.

HxH

So we have a New World situation here huh. Time skip?

Beelzebub

Poor teacher lol. Hilarious chapter.

Team Medical Dragon 71-73

What an ass that intern is. And shit just got real in the operation.

Credo

Tobi cannot be Hashirama because The First was already summoned by Orochimaru and is now in the Death God's stomach along with The Second, Third and Fourth.

Tobi is Izuna. He's the little brother overshadowed by the big brother Madara (ie. Sasuke and Itachi), which is why he wants a connection to the Sauce.

I figure it'll end up somehow being Izuna too.

I used to think it might be Sasuke's father because whoever Tobi is found out that Kushina was pregnant and how far along she was, which allowed him to plan everything perfectly. During that flashback, Kushina talks to Sasuke's mother, and she's aware of Kushina being pregnant even though that information was supposed to be on lockdown. So if Tobi were Sasuke's father, he could've easily found out that information through his wife. Also, he could've easily faked his death at Itachi's hands by having a Zetsu clone die in his place, and no one would've been able to tell since Zetsu clones don't disappear like shadow clones. Still, Tobi showed Sasuke his face after Sasuke's fight with Itachi, and I doubt Sasuke would have failed to recognize his own father, unless he was under a genjutsu.

Or Tobi could just be a Zetsu clone that Madara used his sharingan on to make the clone believe that he actually is the real Madara Uchiha. It seems like Madara has always been jealous of Hashirama and his "Will of Fire," so making a clone of himself would have allowed his own will to be carried on after he, the real deal, died. We've seen Tobi's body parts have some type of goo dripping from them after he has gotten injured, so that lends some credence to the Zetsu clone idea.

But yeah, in the end, I imagine it'll end up being Izuna. Izuna was supposed to have died in battle sometime after giving Madara his eyes, but his death could've just been a genjutsu cast by Madara on any witnesses. Then, after Madara died, Izuna could have retrieved his eyes and transplanted them back into himself. This would've allowed him to have the eternal mangekyo since it activated after Madara originally took his eyes, while losing the rinnegan that Madara achieved since Izuna didn't have Hashirama's cells implanted in his own body.

You know, it will probably be none of this and end up being some kind of wacked-out nonsense.

How do you figure? Wasn't Kurapica's goal to wipe them all out? He hasn't obtained his true revenge until they all go down.

I still need to read this week's chapters. Too busy at work right now.

That's what I'm talking about. Kurapica effectively failed his quest for revenge. The culmination of all his work and efforts was crippling the leader and it didn't matter for how the ryodan function as a group. I'd like to see Kurapica return, but I don't think his revenge is important anymore.

Kreed

Beelzebub:

I get the feeling he was trying to emulate the Gintama formula. Sket Dance can sort of pull it off. But Beel doesn't lend itself to the sudden tone changes. He just isn't that strong of a character writer.

The beauty of Gintama is that even when it gets to serious story lines featuring battles, the battles are about as serious as the four main Jump battle mangas when they don't have battles going on/are in between battles, and the comedy matches this tone. So while there's less comedy and more action, it's still a comedy manga. As you said, Sket Dance can sort of pull this off, but sometimes Sket Dance gets TOO serious, which can be a hit or miss and is rarely as entertaining as it's comedy focused chapters.

Beelzebub has the potential to pull off battles the way Gintama does. We saw it in the early stages when Oga was battling delinquents. But IMO the author has lost all sense of pacing/build up with his serious chapters and writes them the same as his comedy chapters, only with no comedy. He throws a serious training arc at you, then two chapters later we are already in a battle arc and he either has enemies get pounded in a single chapter or the other way around (which is even worse considering they were the ones getting training). This abruptness works fine with comedy chapters, but with serious stories you need proper build up/slower pacing.

Regardless I hope Beelzebub continues the way it's going right now, at least until the author can figure the "serious balance" out.

Ceebs

Beelzebub:

The beauty of Gintama is that even when it gets to serious story lines featuring battles, the battles are about as serious as the four main Jump battle mangas when they don't have battles going on/are in between battles, and the comedy matches this tone. So while there's less comedy and more action, it's still a comedy manga. As you said, Sket Dance can sort of pull this off, but sometimes Sket Dance gets TOO serious, which can be a hit or miss and is rarely as entertaining as it's comedy focused chapters.

Beelzebub has the potential to pull off battles the way Gintama does. We saw it in the early stages when Oga was battling delinquents. But IMO the author has lost all sense of pacing/build up with his serious chapters and writes them the same as his comedy chapters, only with no comedy. He throws a serious training arc at you, then two chapters later we are already in a battle arc and he either has enemies get pounded in a single chapter or the other way around (which is even worse considering they were the ones getting training). This abruptness works fine with comedy chapters, but with serious stories you need proper build up/slower pacing.

Regardless I hope Beelzebub continues the way it's going right now, at least until the author can figure the "serious balance" out.

This is the way I like it. I can't read most battle manga because the fights go on forever in some of them. Bleach is one of the worst mangas I have ever seen when it comes to this.

Kreed

Beelzebub:

This is the way I like it. I can't read most battle manga because the fights go on forever in some of them. Bleach is one of the worst mangas I have ever seen when it comes to this.

When referring to mangas like One Piece, Naruto, or Bleach, it is a nice change of pace to have short quick battles because so many battles in these mangas overstay their welcome.

Beelzebub however is not a battle manga, it's a comedy manga. Serious battle chapters/arcs are spread out so you don't get them nearly as often. So for Beelzebub, it isn't a good idea to hype up battles/fights only to speed through them (especially when that hype includes the main characters going through two training arcs side by side only for characters like Aoi to get their ass handed in a single chapter and everyone else excluding Oga and Toujou not doing a damn thing).

TLDR 17

like Momo's look this eps. So adorable! omnomnomnomnom.

You always forget that the school actually has people besides panty cushions to trip on to.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Beserk || 3-. . 45? Who knows. It's kind of a blur.

Damn, why didn't anyone tell me this was the closest I could get to A Song of Ice and Fire: The Manga? Brutal yet tinged with just enough emotion and humor that each ridiculous twist and turn really, really hits.

Hell, it's the first time in a story, definitely in a manga, I'm completely compelled and moved by backstory, backstory, backstory. To be able to pull away from the beginning plot thread to what seemed like filler backstory, and then that backstory is just as intriguing is a feat all in its own.

And obviously . . wtf!?!?!??!@boyrape/100mendeath/giveyourbodyup,scratchyourselfprettyboyITSGRIFFITH!!??/portalsopeningtohell/INCREDIBLEsweepingbattles/GuttsistheFUCKINGCOOLEST/demondudegavehimhissword?!?!

Now I shall continue to read.

Ceebs

Beserk || 3-. . 45? Who knows. It's kind of a blur.

Damn, why didn't anyone tell me this was the closest I could get to A Song of Ice and Fire: The Manga? Brutal yet tinged with just enough emotion and humor that each ridiculous twist and turn really, really hits.

Hell, it's the first time in a story, definitely in a manga, I'm completely compelled and moved by backstory, backstory, backstory. To be able to pull away from the beginning plot thread to what seemed like filler backstory, and then that backstory is just as intriguing is a feat all in its own.

And obviously . . wtf!?!?!??!@boyrape/100mendeath/giveyourbodyup,scratchyourselfprettyboyITSGRIFFITH!!??/portalsopeningtohell/INCREDIBLEsweepingbattles/GuttsistheFUCKINGCOOLEST/demondudegavehimhissword?!?!

Now I shall continue to read.
When you get to the end of that backstory/flashback imagine you just watched the anime which covered pretty much all of what you have read, and then it just ends. I was so mad when I finished it.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
When you get to the end of that backstory/flashback imagine you just watched the anime which covered pretty much all of what you have read, and then it just ends. I was so mad when I finished it.

Haha, no fucking way! I can't imagine how mad I would be.

And YES Gutts in his three musketeer looking shit!! SO BADDASSSS

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It seems like I am the only way that feels that for Beelzebub, all the jokes in this chapter seemed a bit forced? Like the author is trying to stretch things up and the only thing that he can think of on how to do that is to make jokes....

However, it is still true that Beelzebub the (romantic?) comedy is still a lot better manga than Beelzebub the battle manga.

Threi

notag
I like Beelzebub for it's blend of comedy and badassery. It is a manga which to me is far more than the sum of its parts. Focusing on either comedy alone or battles alone weaken it, in my opinion.

That being said this chapter was hilarious.

Big One

Banned

Gonna have to completely agree with this, especially after the demon school arc. Now it's not like I was expecting Beelzebub to have long dragged out fights or anything, but the fights near the beginning of the series were genuinely awesome and balanced comedy and action very well. Now the climax of that arc wouldn't have bothered me if we skipped all the training arcs. But nope. All the training arcs were building up this hype that the characters were growing, and while they all sucked and were unfunny, you still expected that after them, funny awesome shit will happen (through the fights). But nope, instead Oga just runs through the entire school killing everyone randomly. No, it wasn't funny. No, it wasn't cool or non-traditional/breaking tradition. It was just dull, anti-climatic, and ultimately pointless. Currently Beelzebub is back on track, but I really want to see that good balance between action and comedy once again.

Damn, why didn't anyone tell me this was the closest I could get to A Song of Ice and Fire: The Manga?
Berserk came first though. ;)

Big One

Banned
Hunter x Hunter

Also btw guys, read Chapter 66 again. Togashi seems to have been planning the outer world for a while now. The tree is there and everything.

neoanarch

Medaka Box

With a little over a month until the anime starts. I have to wonder if it will really end with the current arc. It will be more than a little anticlimactic and disappointing.

Hunter x Hunter

Also btw guys, read Chapter 66 again. Togashi seems to have been planning the outer world for a while now. The tree is there and everything.

I don't know if I would take that panel as being the World Tree, I tough it was just a weird angle for Whale Island but it could be another tree. The translation and the reveal weren't really all that clear. I have no idea what the reveal actually means. Is it that the known world is actually a much smaller copy of earths landmasses and they can travel across the sea to find bigger trees/land. Or that somewhere in their world there is a tree that actually connects to a different world, like in the YYH ending. In fact I just realized I've never read finished the YYH manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom