• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's Your Favorite SP/MP FPS Of All-Time?

Single: I loved Crysis, but Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was pretty good too. Crysis was fairly deep- things like missable attachments for weapons and suit mode side effects were awesome.

Multi: Tribes 2 forever. The game that sold me on mouse and keyboard, and PC gaming in general. Modding was amazing- Tribes 2 Construction and Classic of course come to mind.

requiem02

Banned
GoldenEye 007, with both Perfect Dark and Timesplitters 2 pretty close behind.

Purely single player? Wolfenstein TNO by a country mile.

Loxley

Single-Player:

uRC5LoZ.jpg

Everything about Halo: CE grabbed me - the music, the gameplay, the art direction - everything. Still in my top five games of all time. It's excellent multiplayer was an added bonus.

Multiplayer:

9iuGa2O.jpg

No multiplayer game since BC2 has been able to provide me with as much pure fun and enjoyment. It's the last Battlefield game that I would describe as having "charm". The subsequent Battlefields haven't come anywhere close to matching it imo. The SP campaign was a fun breath of fresh air since it absolutely does not take itself seriously.

Woorloog

Banned
You play Titanfall 2 and DOOM 2016 yet?

DOOM's really good but i don't really count it as my all time favorites. It doesn't quite have the same impact on me as Halo 2 and 3 had. And its multiplayer is so terrible...
Should someone make a game that offers a single player like DOOM (and drops the goddamn unlock system) and makes a multiplayer that is like the single player and doesn't have a damn loadout system, perhaps that game will become my favorite FPS game. But i don't think anyone will make one.

As for Titanfall, i don't like that kind of mechs (i don't like mecha outside Command&Conquer or BattleTech/MechWarrior or Star Wars) and i really don't care for ADS systems. I can play games with them... but they never are great ones in my mind.

Mp: Modern Warfare 2 (This game holds a VERY special place in my heart), Overwatch
Sp: Bioshock. DOOM (2016), half life 2, black ops 1,

TimeSplitters Future Perfect.
I prefer the original best out of the trilogy, but mainly because I adore the multiplayer content on that one. Future Perfect had the best balance for me: a great multiplayer, a fun story with lots of humour, a huge amount of single player challenges including ones that were in the style of the original game's story mode, bots and online if you had no one to play with locally, and mapmaker, where you could make multiplayer maps, or even your own story mode styled levels.

Drewfonse

DOOM's really good but i don't really count it as my all time favorites. It doesn't quite have the same impact on me as Halo 2 and 3 had. And its multiplayer is so terrible...
Should someone make a game that offers a single player like DOOM (and drops the goddamn unlock system) and makes a multiplayer that is like the single player and doesn't have a damn loadout system, perhaps that game will become my favorite FPS game. But i don't think anyone will make one.

As for Titanfall, i don't like that kind of mechs (i don't like mecha outside Command&Conquer or BattleTech/MechWarrior or Star Wars) and i really don't care for ADS systems. I can play games with them... but they never are great ones in my mind.

Not that it will be a game changer, but, especially if you play with a more run and gun weapon you can wreak havoc in Titanfall 2 without ever ADS. The CAR is beastly for this.

Woorloog

Banned
Not that it will be a game changer, but, especially if you play with a more run and gun weapon you can wreak havoc in Titanfall 2 without ever ADS. The CAR is beastly for this.

Titanfall setting also has the issue that nothing in it looks interesting to me even i ignore stuff i really don't care for.

The only time Titanfall looked interesting to me was when they showed the first E3 trailer for the first one. The trailer started in space, with spaceships and i was like "What's this, interesting"... only for all my interest to be crushed when it became apparent it was a ground shooter. Titanfall 2 trailer certainly couldn't hold my attention.
Don't think it is a game for me.

There are very few cases where i look only at the genre or something specific in a game. DOOM was one exception, being DOOM. EDIT Quake would be, if they'd make an actual Quake and not some damn hero shooter.

NinjaBoiX

SP - Portal 2 - ingenious, simple as that (I got stuck on a puzzle for a while and had to endure Wheatley deriding my stupidity, I watched my friend play the game a few weeks later, he cracked the same puzzle really quickly and as he went to put everything in place Wheatley said "oh, you've got it already?", wow moment)

MP - Bad Company 2 - so many amazing moments that just happened on the fly due to the incredibly malleable physics and gameplay systems (throwing C4 from the back of a speeding quad bike to destroy a tank and win the game is one of my all time favs)
SP: probably the only one I ever played through - Resistance 2, the different weapons made it. coop was fun too.
Resistance 2 is one of the worst games I've ever played, it literally felt unfinished, like I was walking around a half built set with actors who hadn't read the script yet.

Awful, awful, AWFUL game.

(Resistance 3 is top.)

Springy

No Tribes mention till page 3?!

Multi: Tribes 2 forever. The game that sold me on mouse and keyboard, and PC gaming in general. Modding was amazing- Tribes 2 Construction and Classic of course come to mind.
Finally, some sense.

I'd put PlanetSide up there with it for my favorite multiplayer shooter. Such good times.

Single player? I would've said No One Lives Forever a few years ago, but I know why I haven't played it in a long time and it's because I'm scared time has not been good to it.

2016 was a stellar year for FPS, so I'm not surprised that we have newer contenders in the thread.

Portal 2 easily. Both campaigns were fantastic in every way. And don't tell me it's not a shooter either. It's literally all you do in the game, you just happen to shoot various parts of the environment rather than other characters.

Joe T.

Tough choice, but it's between Goldeneye or Perfect Dark. 4 player split screen was too much fun and the bots were a nice touch in PD. They don't hold up well after all these years, especially the single player campaigns, but no FPS games were ever as much fun for my friends and I.

Hoping to see the return of multiplayer split screen modes over the next 5-10 years as tech keeps advancing.

SP: MOH on PS1. I beat that game a countles of times. The levels and music in The Netherlands are great!
Newer FPS games are better, but MOH sticks we me still after all these years so that's why.

MP: Bad Company 1 and 2(loved both). The destruction! After all these years, BF never topped these games again

Striker

Campaign goes to Halo: CE

MP to Halo 2 with an honorable mention to Bad Company 2. Neither has been topped by games that have followed them. RIP

EGM1966

SP: Half Life 2 - GOAT

MP: UT99 - GOAT

Quake 3 is essentially a tie for MP but I prefer the broader palette of modes in UT99 and adore Assult mode so I have to give nod to 99.

Probably BF2/BF1942 or Bad Company 2.

Makes me sad when Battlefield used to be so good.

SP: As for recently the only thing that stood out was DOOM 4 or Prey(2017)

Titanfall 2, the pacing and level design was constantly surprising and refreshing, goddamn.

(I'm finally getting around to playing Wolfenstein: TNO next week, looking forward to it!)

Modern Warfare 2 was the best overall package of an FPS in its time. Maybe the original Doom competes here... for pretty much a first crack at the multiplayer FPS it was fantastic and the single player is fun to play to this day.

Titanfall 2 is probably the best overall package on current gen. Even though the original was a better multiplayer game.

R6 Siege is the best FPS ever made. I don't see why I would ever stop playing this game. To think I didn't pick it up until almost 3 months after launch and ignored the beta invite sitting in my gmail...

I'm gonna be true to myself and say Resistance 2 that co op was fun and addicting especially healing others.

If a game had Titanfall 2 SP and Resistance 2 coop I'd be in heaven.

Forsythia

SP: Half-Life
MP: Unreal Tournament '99

There have been a lot of good shooters after these games, so it might just be nostalgia.

-Amon-

Single player mmmh... going back I'd say the original Doom :)

One great single player campaign overlooked by many, in my opinion, was the Medal of Honor reboot set in modern Afganistan.

Multiplayer, I'd say Battlefield 3 or 4.

Does GMod count for multiplayer FPS? I have soooo many hours on that just goofing with friends and others. If not, probably Overwatch.

For single player I actually can't think of one at the moment. PRobably Doom.

Top Bottom