• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 1 losing Trials of Osiris and Iron Banner after August

EL CUCO

Destiny 2 is rapidly approaching, like a sneak attack that’s just about to crest the horizon. This means that our two competitive end game experiences will be going into hibernation before reemerging to spread their beautiful wings in unexpected ways in Destiny 2.

If you fancy yourself forged in the fires of the Crucible, you’ll want to mark these dates:

•August 1, 2017: Final Destiny 1-era Iron Banner
•August 11, 2017: Final Destiny 1-era Trials of Osiris https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/45983
I know most of us will be on D2 train come Sept/Oct, but I thought it was strange for Destiny 1 to lose key game modes to make way for a sequel.

Something like this ever happen to any other game?

Consumed by the darkness if old.

VariantX

Why are they taking shit out of a game at all? If someone wanted to buy the game later, they'd be effectively buying less of a game.

Kade

Couldn't they just automate this like other games? In Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, events and seasons are automated. I'm pretty sure other older online RPGs automate timed events and seasons as well.

I expect Destiny will just be put in like a maintenance mode where the servers are up and still running but they don't bother with seasonal events or timed things like Trials and IB.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Not really a big deal. It's just a PVP tournament for prizes. It's not like they are removing strikes or raids or somethin.

ByWatterson

This makes zero practical sense, and is only happening to force players into a sequel they may not want.

So transparent.

MaKTaiL

Wait, so they'er taking stuff out of Destiny to apply to Destiny 2?

They gotta keep the consistency. Every major expansion gated content for people that didn't buy it. Destiny 2 should be the same right?....... Right?

Joking aside, that's so stupid. Imagine if EA turned BF4 MP OFF so that it could re-emerge on BF1? It's surreal if you think about it.
They are treating Osiris and Iron Banner as features/entities that will travel to Destiny 2. Why can't they both coexist on both games at the same time?

They've always been pretty bad with this stuff. They may as well have a subscription model. They release an expansion and instead of creating a new playlist to differentiate between people who own the expansion and people who don't own it, they just take away content from people who don't own it. So I'm not surprised they'd do something like this.

They gotta keep the consistency. Every major expansion gated content for people that didn't buy it. Destiny 2 should be the same right?....... Right?

Joking aside, that's so stupid. Imagine if EA turned BF4 MP OFF so that it could re-emerge on BF1?

It's not a joke though. It's a shitty practice.

This makes zero practical sense, and is only happening to force players into a sequel they may not want.

So transparent.

The practical sense is probably that working on Destiny 1 is a time consuming nightmare, including getting Iron Banner and Trials out there, and they don't want to anymore.

I don't see the big deal. Those events couldn't be around forever.

At best they'll let you get that loot from doing regular pvp or a mission in pve. Trials gear has always looked really cool. Might as well let everyone have it now.

At best they'll let you get that loot from doing regular pvp or a mission in pve. Trials gear has always looked really cool. Might as well let everyone have it now.

I'm pretty sure you can get trials guns just from doing crucible bounties now. Armor I'm not so sure, maybe they'll add it to the loot pool.

Lothars

You can already get the weapons from the pvp packages. It's been that way for a while now.

People realize that one day you're going to try to start Destiny and won't be able get past the menu cause the servers are offline, right?

Hopefully they port all the old content to the new game.

EL CUCO

I mean theyre just pvp tournaments. Not really a mode.
It's a legit playlist that offers better rewards and overall end game pvp experience tho. Why remove it all? Are they expecting everyone to jump ship on day one?

That being said, we probably wont see Trials on D2 until the first DLC so it makes even less sense to me.

Bungie is in a perpetual state of fuckupidness.

This is flat out how you shouldn't treat your player base.

Gotta due their best to force upgrades and removing events is the first step.

Yeah, the special events won't be continuing after official support had ended.
That's... Not surprising at all.

I get the feeling lots of posts in here barely know what these events are, and are just in it for the Bungie dogpile. >_>

Sucks they couldn't automate it at all, but I'm sure Destiny 1's engine has problems in that regard.

Gotta force them upgrades.

Amazing how quick the hype for D2 has died down since the reveal. This is literally more of the same artificial gating shadiness that Bungie pulled with D1.

Will consider picking up the PC version at a steep discounted after the first few expansion packs at this point. Meh.

Floody

Kinda sad seeing Destiny 1 coming to a end. Guessing they don't want people sticking around in 1 after 2 is out.

Wonder if Xur is going to piss off too.

Not really a big deal. It's just a PVP tournament for prizes. It's not like they are removing strikes or raids or somethin.

Y'all fools act like destiny doesn't mainly stay relevant because of pvp. Iron banner is always a treat (at the end of the week).

NaviLink

Not even surprised by now, they have made tons of bad and dumb decisions like this with Destiny. It doesn't really make sense, Trials is available all the time and Iron Banner could be automated quite easily. They forced me to buy Rise of Iron to access all the content, not gonna happen twice.

Kinda sad seeing Destiny 1 coming to a end. Guessing they don't want people sticking around in 1 after 2 is out.

Wonder if Xur is going to piss off too.

Xur is automated so I'm pretty sure he'll stick around, Trials and IB have always required manually doing some stuff and they've even had to skip some weeks because they were too busy doing other things, so it's not surprising that they don't want to have to pull people off D2 for a legacy weekly event on D1.

I won't be personally affected but it is indeed strange that they wouldn't just automate it. Maybe their live event tools are just plain shit and would need a complete overhaul to support scheduled events automatically?

SMD

I don't understand how anyone can view Destiny 2 with anything other than scepticism and wariness after the way Activision and Bungie have handled the first.
It's put me off the game and the series, I know people say "but the gunplay!" and "my friends!" but that's just a cop out.
If we always bend over, companies will treat us worse and worse.

I won't be personally affected but it is indeed strange that they wouldn't just automate it. Maybe their live event tools are just plain shit and would need a complete overhaul to support scheduled events automatically?

They are. It's been something they've talked about a bunch of times and why they've talked at length about how D2's live event tools are built to make this kind of stuff way easier.

Resilient

soooo maybe this time people will realise Bungie are acting like a pack of c***s with Destiny 2? or will the defense force have a reason as to why this is an OK plan for Destiny 1 😭😭

Bungie is in a perpetual state of fuckupidness.

This is flat out how you shouldn't treat your player base.
Every piece of info that comes from Destiny 2 makes me want the game less and less. It's like they want to see how far they can push it before the hardcores will turn on them.

TsuWave

this is so odd. why would they do this? is it because they don't have anyone to control/look after it? if so, can't it be automated? or is it to rush people to jump on board with destiny 2?

i don't get it

ZeoVGM

Banned

No one is asking for them to be around forever.

But ending them a month before Destiny 2 is ridiculous.

The practical sense is probably that working on Destiny 1 is a time consuming nightmare, including getting Iron Banner and Trials out there, and they don't want to anymore.

Guess they should just shut down the entire Destiny 1 servers then, eh?

This is an incredibly anti-consumer decision. There will still be plenty of people playing Destiny 1 after Destiny 2 launches.

Daffy Duck

I regret buying Destiny the collection now and not having the time to grind my ass off in your game, another Dev pushing me away because I don't have hours to sink in.

Sorry I won't be buying destiny 2 either now.

Ganhyun

Come on now, remember everyone, removing Trials and Iron Banner is a feature.

We all know that once we get a tiny bit more info on Destiny 2, maybe when the beta is out to try, we are gonna throw our money at the screen.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I honestly didn't expect them to continue with those after the new game launched. They were on borrowed time.

Even then, I'm always hearing that Trials is stale now, and there's no point to it anymore. When Iron Banner comes around, I hear similar criticisms. It seems to me like a lot of the community has been done with them for quite a while.

ByWatterson

Even then, I'm always hearing that Trials is stale now, and there's no point to it anymore. When Iron Banner comes around, I hear similar criticisms. It seems to me like a lot of the community has been done with them for quite a while.

That's not really the point. The point is that people have paid for access to these things multiple times (TOO was part of the House of Wolves expansion, and then it and IB were paywalled when each new expansion came out), but now can no longer access them - less than a year after they last paid for them. Or, in the case of new customers, mere weeks or months.

It's just inexcusable.

ZeoVGM

Banned
That's not really the point. The point is that people have paid for access to these things multiple times (TOO was part of the House of Wolves expansion, and the it and IB were paywalled when each new expansion came out), but now can no longer access them - less than a year after they last paid for them. Or, in the case of new customers, mere weeks or months.

It's just inexcusable.

It's honestly kind of insane. They released Destiny: The Collection when Rise of Iron launched. And people who bought that are having two of the biggest post-game activities taken away from them before the sequel even launches.

And of course, when The Collection launched, Bungie still hadn't announced that were dropping the "your character comes with you on a 10 year journey" promise that was made when Destiny came out.

Lee

No one is asking for them to be around forever.

But ending them a month before Destiny 2 is ridiculous.

Guess they should just shut down the entire Destiny 1 servers then, eh?

This is an incredibly anti-consumer decision. There will still be plenty of people playing Destiny 1 after Destiny 2 launches.

And Trials isn't even in Destiny 2 at release, so we're looking at a long hiatus before Destiny's most popular game mode (Twitch-wise) comes back. Forcing people to play and stream other content, I guess.

Top Bottom