• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Branson

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having to grind in FFXV. From my experience most are actually vastly over-leveled because they spent too much time doing sidequests/hunts mid-game. Main story was piss-easy for me because I was level 77 or so before the second half, lol.

Around level 45 is the recommended level for the last boss, IIRC. That random super hard enemy in the last dungeon you can just run past, it's not mandatory.
This is why I said earlier I felt like I was playing the game wrong. Level 77? Did you just grind out side quests and hunts for 60 hours? I burnt out on those a while back.
Hmm I beat the game at lvl 45 y'all should be fine
Hopefully I can get past it. I'm burnt out on those terrible side quests and hunts.

Koozek

This is why I said earlier I felt like I was playing the game wrong. Level 77? Did you just grind out side quests and hunts for 60 hours? I burnt out on those a while back.

Hopefully I can get past it. I'm burnt out on those terrible side quests and hunts.
Yeah, pretty much (~70 hours before doing chapter 9) :D I saved up EXP without camping for huge stretches of the game and then doubled/trippled hundreds of thousands/millions of EXP at the expensive hotels to jump from level ~30 to ~50 and then to ~77 later. I'm usually not the grindy, completionist type of player, but somehow it was "Okay, only one more, then I'll stop!" constantly for me here. I mean, majority of the sidequest were generic fetch-quests and after playing Witcher 3 with its fantastic quest design I'm spoiled forever, but somehow the hunts were addicting enough to me (I just don't understand why they didn't make it so you could have several active hunts at once to avoid all that back and forth between monsters and quest-giver - probably to pad out the playtime :/).

Also, discovering all the dungeons organically all over the map without knowing about them through a sidequest beforehand was really fun too and gave me Zelda vibes that no 3D Zelda even has given me in the last decade (haven't played BOTW yet). I literally thought "Man, I wonder what that big volcano all the way in the back there is!" and then I realized, shit, I can go there and get to the top and there's this weird open structure, which seems like a potential place for a boss battle, but there wasn't anything happening until many hours later when I realized there is a hunt for a big monster there. Same with the other dungeons that I all randomly stumpled upon while exploring the map. One of my fondest memories of playing FFXV.

What this game could've been with a better narrative, what a shame 😩 Imagine FFXV with Witcher 3-level of writing and world-building.

Finally finished it. Ending was a it confusing but over all I had a great time with it. I shouldn't have taken such a huge break from it but I was able to get back into it fairly quick.

The more time I let the game sink the more I think Noct might be my favorite Final Fantasy protagonist.

I know he's one of my favorites, if not my actual favorite. Comparing him to Terra, Cloud, Squall, Zidane, Tidus, Vaan, and Lightning, I know he is.

As for
Ardyn
, I freaking love how he turned out. He really does contend with the best villains of the series.

MilkBeard

Pro Tip: If you see a monster thats way higher level than you, run past it.

Actually, I've been doing the opposite lately. If you know their weakness, you can topple monsters that are 20-30 levels above. I took Level 80+ Malboros when I was in the 50's. I took on the lvl. 99 "Dead General" quest when I was at least 25 levels below.

Also, that level 72 monster in the final area can be beat with Alterna. I was even practicing using the ring on it and beating it with well-timed dodges with Holy. I admit this isn't the most efficient way to kill it, but there are a number of ways to take out higher level monsters.

You do have to deal with getting one-shotted a lot, but finding the right attack can change everything.

Shit I'm around your level now. God I hate having to grind more levels to reach the end of the story. I just wanted to mainline through the end of the game and now I have to grind for 20 more hours.

Just get to level 45 and you should be good (I'm editing this because the quest description actually says "lvl. 45"). However, you can avoid a lot of monsters in the end area and just run for the boss if you want to go without grinding, like others said.

The more time I let the game sink the more I think Noct might be my favorite Final Fantasy protagonist.

Yep, he's one of my favorites. The same goes for the villain.

Vashetti

Banned
What really sucks for Ardyn, is that one of his best scenes is ruined by the OST blaring over his monologue, leaving you struggling to hear anything.

So bizarre how poorly mixed that scene is.

MilkBeard

What really sucks for Ardyn, is that one of his best scenes is ruined by the OST blaring over his monologue, leaving you struggling to hear anything.

So bizarre how poorly mixed that scene is.

Yeah, I remember a couple of scenes where the music is too loud or one of the characters talks over the other.

--
Hopefully they will end up doing the Ardyn's past update. I would even pay for a small expansion that goes into detail.

xuchu

Got fishing to level 10. Really didn't take too long and I actually got to enjoy fishing:

BJlRrKx.jpg

ft2CXgj.jpg

JvQB1HA.jpg

Only one more trophy till plat.

Toth

I can't believe I have put over 160 hours into this game. 55 for the first play through and now my second one is at 105 and counting (still have 9/10 sealed dungeons to go, like 60 more hunts, haven't even touched monstro). I have put another 5 hours into the Gladio DLC as well.

I NEVER give games this much time as I always have another RPG to get too after, 2 jobs, graduate school, and FFXI/FFXIV characters to maintain. My previous record was 100% FF8 at 80 hours and doing like 90% of XII in 90 hours. The game is something special, flaws and all.

The behemoth jacket is now available as DLC along with the King of Lucis pendant and the Caelum watch all in a pack in EU for now.

And it's free.

Japan had to pay for that jacket!

So, uh, I thought 280 Garulas killed in 15 minutes wasn't bad. Then I saw the top score was 896.

Geeeeeez.

I've not done these timed quests since they started as it required an hour of fishing which I just...couldn't be bothered to do. Is the QP you collect a one time reward for completing quests, or can I just repeat it to get extra QP? Tempted to spend 15 minutes here and there until the next quest so I can get the Afrosword, depends on if I can get another 100 for doing it again or not.

So, uh, I thought 280 Garulas killed in 15 minutes wasn't bad. Then I saw the top score was 896.

Geeeeeez.

I've not done these timed quests since they started as it required an hour of fishing which I just...couldn't be bothered to do. Is the QP you collect a one time reward for completing quests, or can I just repeat it to get extra QP? Tempted to spend 15 minutes here and there until the next quest so I can get the Afrosword, depends on if I can get another 100 for doing it again or not.

I killed 320. I got depressed when I looked at the leaderboard too! Lol.

And it's the latter, I believe.

Any idea what the stats are on this outfit?

Dunno. I'm not home ATM to check the stats.

The stat changes on most of the outfits are pretty negligible, though.

Any idea what the stats are on this outfit?

I've switched the game off now, but IIRC the jacket grants immunities to status effect and without the jacket allows for freer movement and increased critical hit rate. Can't recall any stat changes.

I killed 320. I got depressed when I looked at the leaderboard too! Lol.

And it's the latter, I believe.

Geez. I could probably bump it up by switching equipment and remembering that Stasis is actually a thing. But not to 900.

Either way though, I might have another go tomorrow at the quest, a few more over the weekend and get the Afrosword by the time this one is over.

I think the biggest QoL changes I can think of would involve a pretty serious rebalancing of the Ascension grid's AP costs (and rebalancing how much AP the game gives you) and moving a lot of accessory effects and magic crafting effects onto there instead.

Turning the Fanfare accessories into cheap Ascension nodes and having quests grant AP instead of experience (basically a direct conversion so that a quest that rewards 1000 exp would instead reward 10 AP and so on) would go a very long way.

I'd also be down for seeing the Friendship Band effect, as well as Target Scope/Camera Strap/Black Belt/Megaphone/Ring of Resistance/Stamina Badge, converted into Ascension nodes. Magic-wise, lowered cooldown, break damage limit, and maybe that occasional freecast thing should probably be Ascension nodes instead of crafting effects.

The stat changes on most of the outfits are pretty negligible, though.
Honestly, I find them pretty significant, since their bonus increases with your level. Like, the Crownsguard (No Jacket) raises STR by like 100 points at higher levels, so that's basically a free Dark Matter Bracelet, as long as you give up the free powerful bangle from the normal one or the free awesome-looking sombrero from the festival outfit.

I've switched the game off now, but IIRC the jacket grants immunities to status effect and without the jacket allows for freer movement and increased critical hit rate. Can't recall any stat changes.
Those sound pretty ballin'. Free Ribbon!

Twookie

has that cool ass outfit released in EU? I want to download it so I can use it when I finally return to this game but I cannot find on the browser store :/

Are those costumes out in uk? I can't find them.

has that cool ass outfit released in EU? I want to download it so I can use it when I finally return to this game but I cannot find on the browser store :/

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...tfit/cid=EP0082-CUSA01615_00-JUMPER0000000001

You can find all the DLC under the Digital Premium Edition of the game.

As Vashetti said, it is out on the EU stores. :)

I think the biggest QoL changes I can think of would involve a pretty serious rebalancing of the Ascension grid's AP costs (and rebalancing how much AP the game gives you) and moving a lot of accessory effects and magic crafting effects onto there instead.

Turning the Fanfare accessories into cheap Ascension nodes and having quests grant AP instead of experience (basically a direct conversion so that a quest that rewards 1000 exp would instead reward 10 AP and so on) would go a very long way.

I'd also be down for seeing the Friendship Band effect, as well as Target Scope/Camera Strap/Black Belt/Megaphone/Ring of Resistance/Stamina Badge, converted into Ascension nodes. Magic-wise, lowered cooldown, break damage limit, and maybe that occasional freecast thing should probably be Ascension nodes instead of crafting effects.

That would be cool.

Honestly, I find them pretty significant, since their bonus increases with your level. Like, the Crownsguard (No Jacket) raises STR by like 100 points at higher levels, so that's basically a free Dark Matter Bracelet, as long as you give up the free powerful bangle from the normal one or the free awesome-looking sombrero from the festival outfit.

*shrug* That's how I've always looked at them, personally. Not as essential as it is in other games where something like this affects stats greatly and is imperative to have the best outfit on.

Basically, I just put on the ones where my party looks the coolest. :D

MilkBeard

I love Cape Caem. The sound and atmosphere are totally Chrono Cross.
I never thought about it like that before but...you are right. That music, and the seashore vibe it gives.

EDIT: Finally got the outfit. I quite like it.

Today I decided to go into the sealed door in Steyliff dungeon...holy shit. This thing just keeps going and going. Gotta take a break and return to it later.

EDIT 2: Whelp, beat that sealed door. That was intense. I think my guys leveled up around 15 levels through that dungeon. Got some cool weapons too. My playtime is running at 94 hours now, and I think it will reach over 100 when I finish the sealed dungeons and finish the platinum.

So fishing...is there a decent guide on what lures to use where?
Excluding one particular fishing area (the islands at the back of the Vesperpool), where the fish are insane, Platinum Leviathan and Knife T. Tonberry will work on pretty much everything. You can replace Knife T. Tonberry with Big Blaze Bahamut once you get it.

Keep Leviathan as your default lure, and just switch to Tonberry/Bahamut for anything that doesn't go for Leviathan.

LordKasual

Banned
Edit: and new alterna just feels like cheating.

The new ring in general just feels like cheating. I think the older Death spell felt better, from a gameplay perspective. it was neat to obliterate enemies without even dealing damage to them.

but now it's just point > ping > *poof*

If they're gonna let Noctis be that broken, they should just patch the game and allow 13 Arms Armiger to put you into King Noctis mode.

Kweh

Excluding one particular fishing area (the islands at the back of the Vesperpool), where the fish are insane, Platinum Leviathan and Knife T. Tonberry will work on pretty much everything. You can replace Knife T. Tonberry with Big Blaze Bahamut once you get it.

Keep Leviathan as your default lure, and just switch to Tonberry/Bahamut for anything that doesn't go for Leviathan.

Thank you. Is it always the same fish in the water or does it depend what lure you use at the time?

Also, what is the difference between the yellow and blue dots, difficulty of the catch?

Thank you. Is it always the same fish in the water or does it depend what lure you use at the time?

Also, what is the difference between the yellow and blue dots, difficulty of the catch?
My understanding is that all the fish are the same, but you won't be able to see some without a high fishing level.

Yellow means edible. Flashing means rare (and usually tough).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Episode Prompto today right?

Fish change depending on if it is the daytime or nighttime.

Yellow means edible. Blue means treasure and not edible. Flashing means it'll be a rarer/bigger fish and that it'll be harder than the rest of the other fish in that area to pull in.

Episode Prompto today right?

What?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I have "Episode Prompto" written on my calender for today ._.? Is it out already or something?

Vashetti

Banned
Not an insane discount or anything, but the game has received a permanent price cut to £39.99 on the UK PS Store, down from £49.99

Digital Premium Edition is now £59.99 permanently, down from £69.99

Top Bottom