• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senbatsu 2017 | Japan National High School Baseball Invitational Tournament (Koshien)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monumma

A couple of interesting games yesterday.

Starting today I should be able to watch most of them live again (provided I fall asleep when I go to bed), #hype for Kiyomiya vs Meitoku Gijuku tonight. The second rounds are after that, not before Osaka Toin closes the first round though.
It should be Shuugakukan vs Sakushin Gakuin in the second round, right? That'll be fun.

This year stats: http://yakyudb.com/koshien-totals/20171/

Beckx

the announcers have done really well not saying Kiyomiya ever other word yet. that all changes tonight, I'm guessing.

this block is just in-sane

tonight's games

Toukaidai Fukuoka (Fukuoka) v Kobe Kokusaidai Fuzoku (Hyogo)
Waseda Jitsugyou (Tokyo) v Meitoku Gijyuku (Kochi)
Shizuoka (Shizuoka) v Kozukata (Iwate)

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S COMING DOWN TO KIYOMIYA.

YOU CAN'T WRITE THIS.

EDIT: PLEASE DON'T WALK HIM

Edit: They walked him. I'm sad and angry.

Edit: Yes, walk Nomura too, see what happens.

EDIT: HAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

IT'S TIED 4-4 OFF A WALK. WE'RE IN EXTRA INNINGS, BOYS. Err, if they don't score here.

Monumma

he walked home the tying run with 2 out in the ninth. And he still cant throw a strike.

Here I was thinking they walked Kiyomiya intentionally.

why the fuck would you ever swing?

extra innings.

he walked home the tying run with 2 out in the ninth. And he still cant throw a strike.

Here I was thinking they walked Kiyomiya intentionally.

why the fuck would you ever swing?

Yeah, I thought it was an intentional walk too. 2 or 3 of those pitches looked like the same course almost way outside.

EDIT: IT'S OVER. 5-4, WASEDA VICTORY.

Beckx

man, i went to bed literally *immediately* after posting, but it sounds like (1) Kozukata at least won a moral victory by taking an early lead, but (2) Shizouka looks like a decent team? Kozukata's kantoku looks so young, 30! there's gotta be a manga in this story somewhere.

i thought the play-by-play guy was going to die from hype when Kiyomiya got up to bat in the 9th.

anyway

Today's games - last game of the first round and the first two games of round two:

Ube Koujyou (Yamaguchi) v Osaka Touin (Osaka) (Round 1 ends)
Shiritsu Kure v Riseisha (Round 2 begins)
Chiben Gakuen v Moriokadai Fuzoku

Unfortunately I am going to miss most of the games tonight. Too bad, I am curious to see this latest Osaka Toin squad. Everyone loves to hate them but I can't hate Sho Nakata's old school tbh.

For the other two games, I imagine Riseisha and Chiben Gakuen will both notch easy wins here. Maybe Kure keeps it close for a little while but I really kind of doubt it.

Beckx

Kure pitching better than expected or is Riseisha having offense troubles?

Assuming Chiben Gakuen gets through, that matchup is going to be fun.

Lucumo

0-5 before the final inning. Currently two bases loaded, after one hit and a four-ball.

/edit: Error into all bases loaded, no outs.

/edit2: First one struck-out. Second one hits at full count into 1-5, they avoid the double-play. So now 2 outs. 3rd and 1st bases loaded.

...and it's over. 1-5.

Beckx

Oops, thanks to finishing Person 5 (amazing) I'm a little late.

First game already underway, Maebashi Ikuei v. Houtoku Gakuen, who scored so many runs in their first game. And they're not letting up, up 4-0 in the second. Wow.

Holy shit, Fukuokadai vs Shiga just ended 1-1 after the 15th inning.

I'm not familiar with the rules regarding this. What happens now?

Monumma

they're going to win it in the bottom of the 15th with 2 out, arent they? edit: nope.

back to back 15 innings draw, now let's see them cram 5 games tomorrow just not to add a game to the schedule.

RIP to the 4 aces. At least 3 days of straight pitching for the 2 winning tomorrow.

further edit: Everything has been pushed back a day. Only the 2 replays will be played tomorrow. Good.

Monumma

I think so. The replays will be the day after tomorrow though, I missed that we still have a day of round 2 to go.

edit: that is if they don't eliminate the day off after the quarterfinals, which I thought we lost when they rained out a day during the first round but somehow it was still there?

Beckx

Games start at the top of the hour. Two marquee matches today, including some guy with a K in his name.

Syugakukan- Sakushin Gakuin
Tokai Daigaku Fukuoka - Waseda Jitsugyo
Shizuoka - Osaka Toin

Waseda needs much better effort from their pitchers than the last game.

Waseda finally scores in the 3rd inning. Currently 1-0, bottom of the 3rd.

EDIT: Bottom of the 3rd, Tokai Daigaku bases loaded, batter gets a hit and all 3 runners come home thanks to an error by Waseda. Top of the 4th, Kiyomiya at bat first. Score: 1-3, Tokai Daigaku winning.

EDIT: Kiyomiya hits a grounder directly to 1st base and goes out immediately.

EDIT: Bottom of the 4th, still 1-3. Waseda needs to get something going.

EDIT: Bottom of the 6th. The score is now 1-9, Tokai Daigaku winning. This is a massacre. Waseda needs better pitchers. Meanwhile, Tokai Daigaku's pitcher is pitching and hitting well this game.

umbra

Unless they make a miracle comeback, Waseda is gonna lose, down 1-9 in the 6th.

Edit: now 2-9 in the 8th

Edit: Waseda trying to make this into a game, had the bases loaded with two outs but the next batter struck out, 5-9

Monumma

6-8 Shizuoka after 7, will Osaka Toin go down too?

Goodbye Kiyomiya, I'll see you again with a wooden bat. Either that or somehow Waseda has a 16 years old flamethrower coming in.

meanwhile Osaka Toin scores 3 runs. 9-8, 2 out and man on third.

edit: 11-8.

Beckx

I missed all the craziness of the Waseda game. I had it going on my phone but just passed out in the 6th inning, woke up to see the game was over.

Maybe they recruited a Furuya for this year.

Sounds like the Shizouka - OT game was Shizouka's to lose, which they did.

The two replays on deck for today, which will round out the top 8.

Beckx

So because today's schedule calls for only the two replay games, the first game won't start until 10pm Eastern (11 am Japan).

Tomorrow will have 4 quarterfinals and will begin 30 minutes earlier than usual.

Monumma

Last inning of the first game, Miura has been pitching another complete game, 112 pitches so far (196 2 days ago). Seems like he will have to pitch again tomorrow because Fukuokadai Oohori is winning 5-3.

Both velocity (142) and placement (kinda) on the fastball is still good, the curve isn't (don't know if it ever was).

K for the first out of the ninth.
K for the second out of the ninth.
BB.
F8.

130 pitches today. 149+196+130=475 in a week.
He will pitch again tomorrow. And the day after that. And the day after that.

_____

The second game is onesided, Fukui Koudai Fukui doesn't have any more pitching.
Yamashita with the grand slam in the bottom of the 4th to make it 10-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom