• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-2017 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT| Villanova has no fans so this is their thread

The 2016-2017 season is upon us. Villanova won last year, we think. Nobody is actually around to remind us of that. Let's take a look back and celebrate their historic win.

tUMEopo.jpg

Nfzu2i9.jpg

VEfkvO7.jpg

iLdL3OF.jpg

This, of course, is all from their historic victory in 1985 over Georgetown. You'll notice that during that whole ordeal, color photography was invented. In 2016, they didn't beat Georgetown, they beat a team of scrubs who shall not be named.

Now back to the present.

COLLEGE BASKETBALL IS BACK

The prognosticators say these are the teams to beat

Duke
Kentucky
Villanova
Oregon
Kansas
North Carolina
Virginia
Arizona
Sparty
Wisconsin
Xavier

Early season games of note

Kansas/Indiana Nov 11
Duke/Kansas Nov 15
Duke/Sparty Nov 29
Sparty/Kentucky Nov 15
Kentucky/North Carolina Dec 17
Kentucky/Louisville Dec 21
North Carolina/Indiana Nov 30
Virginia/the Maurice Clarett University Nov 30

Happy posting.

Proelite

Nice OP.

It's that time of the year again!

My predictions:

UK fans gets disappointed.
UVA fails to make the final four despite given a high seed.
K gets out coached by Mike Brey.
Wolfpacks gets B for effort.
BC wins one game.
Sheep fans calls for Roy to be fired.

Once the season starts don't forget to ask a mod to move the thread to OT. Seems like a lot of community threads are being given 4 weeks in the OT. Would be a good opportunity to get some new posters that scarcely wander in the community boards and thus have no idea the NCAA thread exists

Truly will call for K to retire by.........February 20th.

Which is super late mind you.

He was calling for the old man to kick rocks by New Years last year!

Duke's luck with...feet has made its way up Tobacco Road

Andy KatzVerified account
‏@ESPNAndyKatz
UNC: Theo Pinson out indefinitely with a fractured right foot. Pinson is expected to be a key rotation player for the Tar Heels this season.

Proelite

Allen tripped Amile during blue white scrimmage. Looked like Amile was injured for a few minutes.

Scariest moment of the year for me.

Fjordson

I'm not very hyped for the season this year. I dunno, I just feel like UK will be disappointing this year. Got some nice talent though for sure.

I'm not very hyped for the season this year. I dunno, I just feel like UK will be disappointing this year. Got some nice talent though for sure.
Every year Kentucky is loaded with 5* talent. Only caveat is they are underclassmen. You guys should be used to having a 50% turnover in players every year by now. Y'all will win the SEC again I'm sure

Fjordson

Every year Kentucky is loaded with 5* talent. Only caveat is they are underclassmen. You guys should be used to having a 50% turnover in players every year by now. Y'all will win the SEC again I'm sure
Oh sure, they'll be good, but they're currently ranked in the top 5 and lots of fans / media think they have a shot at the title. I'm just not sure I see that as opposed to a solid year and like a sweet 16.

I could be underrating the team, but I don't like how our guys fit together at all. Lots of awkward combinations that Cal will be forced to trot out I think.

Duke's luck with...feet has made its way up Tobacco Road

Andy KatzVerified account
‏@ESPNAndyKatz
UNC: Theo Pinson out indefinitely with a fractured right foot. Pinson is expected to be a key rotation player for the Tar Heels this season.

Duke's luck with feet made it back to Durham

Seth Greenberg ✔ @SethOnHoops
60-70 @nba personnel staff members in attendance at @DukeMBB pro day. Jayson Tatum goes down with some type of foot injury. Didn't look good

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Truly will call for K to retire by.........February 20th.

Which is super late mind you.

He was calling for the old man to kick rocks by New Years last year!

Truth be told, I never called for K to retire or the game has passed him by all last season (I think I did it once in jest, but no meltdowns). He had 6 players and still made the Sweet 16. This year may end up the same way the way these injuries keep piling up.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
K said today on first take that is was a minor setback and not believed to be serious, so the world domination tour can continue. Honestly Giles procedure in itself was not serious and his normal time table puts him has available at the end of November. I expect he'll get time in December and play most during the season. Giles injury history is what has everyone concerned. Tatum supposedly (not confirmed) has a minor sprain

Proelite

K ordered a couple of expensive human sacrifices for Tatum's prognosis. He knew spending it this year is worth it.

Won't be surprised if Kennard is the leading scorer on the team.

At this rate, he's gonna be the leading everything because everyone else on the team is hurt. But yeah, apparently he dropped 44 in a scrimmage on Duke's pro day for NBA scouts. He's #tryintogettotheleague right now

Also, we should probably just rename this thread to the Duke Men's Basketball |OT|

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I should be watching Michigan's first exhibition game right now but it's being preemted by fucking college soccer.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sup homies. GT gonna suck this year, but I'm gonna watch college Bball anyways. Plus my step dad is a big UNC fan.

Speaking of GT...

According to ESPN.com’s John Gasaway, Tech is the least experienced team in Division I, returning only 25 percent of its possession-minutes from 2015-16. Gasaway measures experience by calculating a team’s “returning possession minutes,” the percentage of minutes that a player recorded last season, multiplied by the percentage of the team’s possessions that he used (as listed at kenpom.com).

Thank you CPH and CBG for the current state of the program!

Going to a game will be like being the Indians fans in the outfield in Major League.

Young Scrappy skied to block a layup at one end, nailed a 3 at the other. 49-20 at the under 4 TO in the first half.

No Sean Obi tonight, either. So basically like last year.

ryseing

Man, our noncon is garbage. Young team and all but is it too much to ask for one decent home matchup before conference play?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Dude Randolf

You guys are gonna get to play a highschool team this year when you play us. It's gonna be score city. I can already tell GT is gonna make numerous SportCenter top plays this year cause someone on the other team styles all over us. LoL

I didn't even notice during the game, but apparently Marist players wore rainbow socks.

Brant Wilkerson-New @BrantGNR
Marist coach Mike Maker said players' rainbow socks were indeed a show of unity against HB2. Says he's proud of them.

Top Bottom