• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War |OT| Attempted Mordor

Bsigg12

Bought gold edition, put in season pass code, gave me a copy of the game and no season pass. Uttt ohhhhh.

y4GwG0v.jpg

Go to the manage game section.

theofficefan99

Should I finish up Mordor before playing this eventually?

Running around as Talion felt good, and the game had a slight addictive quality to it, but... I found the environments to be dull and the story didn't pull me. Also the game's difficulty felt strange. It constantly switched from piss easy to super hard.

This one looks a lot better. Story seems a lot more exciting, more environmental variety (and more color in general), etc...

Slixshot

Banned
I'm not all that far in yet, but I'm already feeling the benefits of the new Nemesis system and difficulty settings. I find myself using a lot more hit-and-run tactics, rather than just stumbling into a group of Orcs and killing everybody until they stop showing up. Much larger variety of Captains too, even just a few hours in, which is nice.

I also already have my own personal nemesis! Early on I was getting my sea legs back under me and got killed by an Archer. This fucker goes on this longass rant about how he's "gonna be called the Tark Slayer!" Well, he gets promoted to Captain, and lo and behold, that's his damn name. So I make it a priority to go after this clown as soon as I respawn, and, issues with his gang of Caradors aside, I manage to put him down after a lengthy chase. He gives this gloating proclamation about how even if I kill him, he got me first, and that's NEVER going away!

Naturally, he comes back. I'm dealing with another Captain I don't particularly want to get a level up, and this dude shows up with his head wrapped in iron bands. Back from the dead! He gives me some incomprehensible gibberish about Tark-Slaying, and then I light him on fire and cut him in half. In the prompt before the QTE he accuses me of just wanting to be called the "Tark Slayer... Slayer." I figure that's the last of him.

NOPE. Dude shows up, AGAIN. Declares his intention to kill me in revenge. This time, after I beat him down, the speech he gives is just fucking defeatist. "I follow orders! I loot, plunder, burn, and what does it get me? This shit!" I'm laughing hard enough to fuck up the QTE and he headbutts me and vanishes.

I don't think I can kill him at this point. I gotta try and keep him alive until I can Brand him.

Now we're talkin. Can't wait for more stories!

//ARCANUM

Go to the manage game section.

Regardless of the section, the code shouldn’t be giving a full digital copy of the game (see where it says he owns it? It wouldn’t say that for a physical disc copy).

I’m really curious if this is a major, across the board screw up, or an isolated case. If major, do we think MS will make some sort of switch on their end?

SheHateMe

Bought gold edition, put in season pass code, gave me a copy of the game and no season pass. Uttt ohhhhh.

y4GwG0v.jpg

*Orc_rubbing_hands.gif*

See? The loot boxes work in real life too! You took the gamble on a season pass and got the digital game instead! Everyone wins!

I'm joking.

Sorry this happened to you. I would get on social media and start talking. LOUD.

oti

Banned

y4GwG0v.jpg

I hope this gets sorted out. What I wanted to tell you is that the link to your YouTube from your Twitter bio doesn't work properly. You should change that. Wanted to check out your channel. 🤗

Bsigg12

Regardless of the section, the code shouldn’t be giving a full digital copy of the game (see where it says he owns it? It wouldn’t say that for a physical disc copy).

I’m really curious if this is a major, across the board screw up, or an isolated case. If major, do we think MS will make some sort of switch on their end?

Sure, I'm.just trying to figure out what the code may have given him when he redeemed it.

Nothing but the base game install.

So are you able to play without the disc?

I hope this gets sorted out. What I wanted to tell you is that the link to your YouTube from your Twitter bio doesn't work properly. You should change that. Wanted to check out your channel. 🤗

Thanks and it works now! Careful though, 10 years of gaming stuff on there and counting! Ha.

Bsigg12

I'm sure I will as it says I own it without having the disc in and it starts the base game down load! I'm not upset or anything, just want my season pass is all :)

Interesting! Well hopefully you get what you paid for. I'd definitely be hitting up support and Xbox on Twitter tomorrow if it's not showing up correctly.

I’ve been slamming the game for months over the business practices and had no intention of picking it up but my fiancé, a really massive Lord of the Rings fan, went ahead and picked up a Gold edition copy for herself and a regular edition for me. I have to admit, after three hours of play, the microtransaction stuff doesn’t seem too awful yet. The problems I have are mostly with the core game, haha.

The biggest issue is the move to a more traditional RPG style and all of the changes that come with that, namely how Talion is nerfed to facilitate a power increase as you level up. Because of this, the combat doesn’t feel nearly as brutal and satisfying as in the first game, it’s a pretty simple hack and slash at the moment. Another issue here is the story - it’s still pretty fucking bad.

Hopefully things pick up but microtransactions are the least of my concerns after three hours of play and that’s worrying.

ZeroX03

Banned
Only one question: is Shadow Strike Chain still in? Zipping all over the map was the best feeling in the first game.

I'll pick it up on first price drop I think. Wouldn't have time to play it until then anyway.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm sure I will as it says I own it without having the disc in and it starts the base game down load! I'm not upset or anything, just want my season pass is all :)

Judging from the Steam version, the Expansion Pass content is included in the Gold Edition, but the Expansion Pass itself is not:

Middle-earth™: Shadow of War™ Expansion Pass said:
716270 DLC Middle-earth™: Shadow of War™ Expansion Pass
561630 Unknown SteamDB Unknown App 561630
561631 Unknown SteamDB Unknown App 561631
533110 Unknown SteamDB Unknown App 533110
561650 Unknown SteamDB Unknown App 561650
Middle-earth: Shadow of War Gold Edition (post-release) said:
356190 Game Middle-earth™: Shadow of War™
581772 DLC Gold Content
561630 Unknown SteamDB Unknown App 561630
561631 Unknown SteamDB Unknown App 561631
533110 Unknown SteamDB Unknown App 533110
561650 Unknown SteamDB Unknown App 561650

I do agree it's a little stupid. Publishers generally include the Season Pass in Gold Edition packages and the like precisely to avoid the potential for confusion -- and that includes WB.

Judging from the Steam version, the Expansion Pass content is included in the Gold Edition, but the Expansion Pass itself is not:

I do agree it's a little stupid. Publishers generally include the Season Pass in Gold Edition packages and the like precisely to avoid the potential for confusion.

So why give me a digital copy of the game? Doesn't make sense to me.

carlsojo

Woohoo a real OT!

I'm just under two hours in. Game is pretty cool so far and lots of little improvements over the first. (Like picking up elf-shot just by walking up to it.)

Playing on Nemesis difficulty so right now I pretty much just high-tail it away from the tougher captains. Been ambushed a couple times though.

JaseC

So why give me a digital copy of the game? Doesn't make sense to me.

That's just the weird route WB decided to take. The key should definitely be for the Expansion Pass instead of the Gold Edition itself, but rest assured you'll get the content as the end result is the same.

That's just the weird route WB decided to take. The key should definitely be for the Expansion Pass instead of the Gold Edition itself, but rest assured you'll get the content.

But the edition it says I own is the standard on my manage games. Not gold.

Woohoo a real OT!

I'm just under two hours in. Game is pretty cool so far and lots of little improvements over the first. (Like picking up elf-shot just by walking up to it.)

Playing on Nemesis difficulty so right now I pretty much just high-tail it away from the tougher captains. Been ambushed a couple times though.
Nemesis difficulty seems like the way to go. I got an orc assasin that bum rushed me in minas ithril, got lucky and became my nemesis.

Fliesen

Meh, this releases today and i'm off to a 3 day business trip.

Anyone wanna give me a quick primer on what edition to buy?
For reference - i got the platinum for Shadow of Mordor, but i found the DLC wholly underwhelming and didn't actually feel worth 'comic back' to the game.
Like, what are those "nemesis expansions" - in a nutshell?

The Gold edition Story Expansions - when will they release, or are they just locked away content?

There's no Silver Edition on the PSN store for all i can tell.

I have to say, I'm warming up to this game now, but the first couple hours of this game were real...rough. The way this game opens with pretty much every single ability locked away is real dumb. Seriously, why do you need to buy the execution ability? That's an essential part of your move set.

The first game was also much more effective at setting up a story and tone. Shadow of War is a bit all over the place and feels a bit clumsy with its awkward storytelling and the constant barrage of tutorials.

Again, starting to enjoy the game better now, but I can see other players being soured by the way this game starts.

I have to say, I'm warming up to this game now, but the first couple hours of this game were real...rough. The way this game opens with pretty much every single ability locked away is real dumb. Seriously, why do you need to buy the execution ability? That's an essential part of your move set.

The first game was also much more effective at setting up a story and tone. Shadow of War is a bit all over the place and feels a bit clumsy with its awkward storytelling and the constant barrage of tutorials.

Again, starting to enjoy the game better now, but I can see other players being soured by the way this game starts.

Interesting as I'm finding this much more entralling at the start versus the first games opening. Great impressions though.

Fliesen

Also, isn't the Gold edition just regular + Season Pass?

Both are € 110. (Gold at 109,99, Game+SP at 69,99+39,99 = 109,98)

I'm so confused.

Audi

Neo Member
Does anyone know if this game supports HDR on the PS4 Pro? It isn’t mention in any of the reviews or previews. If not I’ll hold off till Xbox One X launches.

DrBo42

Only one question: is Shadow Strike Chain still in? Zipping all over the map was the best feeling in the first game.

I'll pick it up on first price drop I think. Wouldn't have time to play it until then anyway.

Yeah it's still in. Based on focus now though.

JaseC

Also, isn't the Gold edition just regular + Season Pass?

Both are € 110. (Gold at 109,99, Game+SP at 69,99+39,99 = 109,98)

I'm so confused.

Pretty much. It also includes a gold war chest, but, yeah, for all intents and purposes, it's a base game + Expansion Pass content bundle.

Fliesen

Pretty much. It also includes a gold war chest, but, yeah, for all intents and purposes, it's a base game + Expansion Pass content bundle.

So i'm kinda good with buying the regular edition, and if i have a desire for further "Nemesis expansions", i can get those via the season pass.

Mind letting me know about the release date of the story DLC as well? Those aren't out yet, right? And they're wholly separate stories with separate progression? (like the story DLC for the Arkham games)

This game needs to last me until Oct 27th, pretty much, so i don't think i'll be needing any more content past that point, not gonna go back to it once the holiday season hits.

JaseC

So i'm kinda good with buying the regular edition, and if i have a desire for further "Nemesis expansions", i can get those via the season pass.

Mind letting me know about the release date of the story DLC as well? Those aren't out yet, right? And they're wholly separate stories with separate progression? (like the story DLC for the Arkham games)

This game needs to last me until Oct 27th, pretty much, so i don't think i'll be needing any more content past that point, not gonna go back to it once the holiday season hits.

There's not much info on the DLC at this juncture:

Nemesis Expansions include a new Orc Tribe featuring new enemies, followers, missions, abilities, weapons, Fortress and wilderness updates, and a Legendary Gear Set.

Story Expansions introduce a new campaign, playable character & abilities, side missions, enemies, allies & more.

It sounds like Nemesis Expansions are integrated into the main game while the Story Expansions are their own self-contained campaigns.

Yeah order history shows just the base game. :/

Bugger. I'd guess either the licence is mislabelled (doubtful) or the key is tied to the wrong one (likely).

Carm

Well, I broke down and bought it on PC, really don’t like buying games with that drm. Watched the GB Quicklook and I’ve been replaying the first one on pc the past few days and that 60fps goodness and the craziness broke me. Kicking myself though, forgot to check GMG price, could have saved myself ten bucks o the gold edition.

Hopefully I can maintain that 60fps with the same settings as the first, I’m at the Rec for gpu and better on cpu/ram and only gonna be playing at 1080p. Hopefully no problems.

Edit: 9h 30m download though maxing connection =(

Fliesen

hmmm, the game's download is only 12.5 gigs? (PS4 pro, excluding the 4k video pack)

yay, gonna get like 2 hours of playing before my trip.

edit: Whoa, PSN is hella fast today. like 5mb / s

Lucreto

Hopefully I will get the game Wednesday or Thursday.

I just looked on the PS store(UK) and I don't see that cancer charity orc.

It that coming soon?

black070

My gilrfriend ordered me a copy so guess I'll be joining in on the fun when I get off work, haven't actually looked into this game so going in relatively blind - hope it surprises me.

You always remember your first.
I assume you're playing on PC? Or does the console version actually save 1440p screenshots without watermark?

Just for info, I've done some analysis of very recently-released footage of the game. Here's what I believe are the settings for the Pro "high resolution" mode:

- dynamic 4K, usually around the 1800p range and dipping to 1620p
- not checkerboarded
- unstable 30fps with drops and tearing

I don't have direct comparison footage for standard PS4, so I don't know if any graphical effects are turned up. I also haven't seen the "high quality" mode, which we can presume has different settings prioritized.

And, of course, I could just be wrong about my observations. Take these results with whatever level of confidence you like.

Fliesen

I assume you're playing on PC? Or does the console version actually save 1440p screenshots without watermark?

Just for info, I've done some analysis of very recently-released footage of the game. Here's what I believe are the setting for the Pro "high resolution" mode:

- not checkerboarded

I don't have direct comparison footage for standard PS4, so I don't know if any graphical effects are turned up. I also haven't seen the "high quality" mode, which we can presume has different settings prioritized.

And, of course, I could just be wrong about my observations. Take these results with whatever level of confidence you like.

Seeing as the settings on the Pro are "resolution" vs "quality" (and not vs "frame rate"), what do you think about the "quality" (locked 1080p i presume) mode with regards to frame rate stability / tearing?

I'd gladly lock my resolution to avoid tearing.

Seeing as the settings on the Pro are "resolution" vs "quality" (and not vs "frame rate"), what do you think about the "quality" (locked 1080p i presume) mode with regards to frame rate stability / tearing?
No way to tell without seeing it. For the previous game, the "quality" mode didn't do very much...but the framerate was already more stable to start with. And this game has been expanded in many ways versus the prior title, so the mode may be enhanced as well.

Also, please note that I can't guarantee that the unstable footage I looked at was from an updated build. Further, the video was said to be from later in the game, so other portions (especially early on) may run better even if so. I have to be totally honest about the framerate issues I saw, but I encourage people not to make a sweeping decision about the entire lengthy game based solely on my analysis of 15 minutes of gameplay.

Just got to a point where my nemesis from the first game showed up and I've got to say, its really well done... It's also making me immediately regret making such a powerful nemesis. Was never able to beat him in shadow of mordor thanks to him being immune to everything but fire and enraging any time he got even slightly hurt; plus having fire weapons, increased damage, and No Chance. Really fun seeing him again though.

Zurick

Banned

Just for info, I've done some analysis of very recently-released footage of the game. Here's what I believe are the settings for the Pro "high resolution" mode:

- not checkerboarded

PC. I tried this on my Xbox earlier since it's play anywhere and, man. It's rough to look at on base xbox one.

Runs pretty goddamn smooth on my PC after turning on Vsync.(Is Vsync frowned upon?)

~~~

So I started with the Nemesis difficulty, and it's haaard. Gotten killed by like 3 orcs already. Trying to get vengeance.

Top Bottom