• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new 4" DSi model to be released within this year in Japan

Deku

Banned
one 4inch screen.
How will they protect the screen?

But this seems like a preview of the configuration they will go for in DS2.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hopefully this knocks the OG DSi price down so I can actually buy it.

Though, if the battery life is somehow improved... I might wait...

Subliminal42 said:
Also,

Has Nintendo Really run out of ideas?

Releasing a slightly bigger screen is just.. Uninspired.

Just milking the DS for all it can until the next true handheld generation starts for them.
Maybe this bigger screen size will be the default on the next handheld as well... practice makes perfect.

hitsugi

the plan is simple:

1. wait for new DSi to launch
2. buy "old" DSi for less

can't really go wrong there.. unless you want the larger screen. personally, the DSi's is enough.

Keio

For a Finer World
[speculation]How much effect does Nintendo have on LCD pricing? Hypothetically: going 4" now will start lowering the bulk cost of 4" displays for DS2? [/speculation]

Other than old folks (or 4" displays being already cheaper), it's really hard to figure out why this move.

Keio said:
[speculation]How much effect does Nintendo have on LCD pricing? Hypothetically: going 4" now will start lowering the bulk cost of 4" displays for DS2? [/speculation]

Other than old folks (or 4" displays being already cheaper), it's really hard to figure out why this move.

I think so. This was my, and Deku's (I imagine) thinking as well.
It makes a lot of sense.

Funny.

This near-blind guy comes in at work interested in checking out the DSi, but wasn't too sure to get it because the screens weren't big enough.

Regulus Tera said:
Fixed that for you.

Pretty much that. I don't see why this is something to get up in arms for. Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Light, and Super Game Boy were all released to expand the reach of the platform and address people's concerns with it while it was an active platform. Personally, I'd love if there was an echoes of time style DS-on-Wii adapter, or a tabletop DS so big that it was practically a U-Force. :D

I doubt there are any intentions to replace the current DSi with it, as there are sure to be sacrifices for the added size. That said, I will laugh if the larger size allows the GBA slot to reappear. :lol

Maximus.

why is Nintendo doing this....i rather just see a new handheld made by them instead. Too many small changes that seem useless :/ This is why im sticking with my ds lite.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Fraull said:
why is Nintendo doing this....i rather just see a new handheld made by them instead. Too many small changes that seem useless :/ This is why im sticking with my ds lite.

This is surely substitute for their DS 2 -.-

Log4Girlz

Keio said:

Tada, we have the answer. The plan has 2 main objectives.

1. Give an excuse to release yet another iteration of a profitable piece of hardware.

2. Reduce cost of major component of next handheld by buying lots in bulk.

NotWii

Banned
Geez Nintendo, why did you wait until now to announce it?
This rumour about a jumbo screened DS for old folks has been floating around for about 2 years now.

Hurry up 2010, I want my DS Tegra!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wii said:
Geez Nintendo, why did you wait until now to announce it?
This rumour about a jumbo screened DS for old folks has been floating around for about 2 years now.

Hurry up 2010, I want my DS Tegra!

I can't wait for DSHD in 2011! Or maybe I'm getting rumors confused.
Confused01.gif

Neo C.

ethelred said:
Naturally, attempting to spur sales of hardware is easier by way of creating a useless new model instead of actually creating more games, which requires thought and resources. It's much less satisfying, though.
Obviously Iwata just wants to keep the hardware team members busy. Without more iterations, longer cycles mean less work for the hardware team.

Keio said:
Please elaborate. Does it really influence significantly the LCD pricing for future handhelds, when the setup of the DS2 will be different anyway (for example, higher resolution)?

defferoo

umm... bigger screens do not prepare them for the next DS. i don't think... even though it's nintendo... that they'd keep the resolution at 256x192. i'd imagine they would go for a more standard resolution like 320x240 since most LCD manufacturers probably already make screens at that resolution in many different sizes. although the DS isn't very powerful, it would still benefit from higher res screens. (smaller jaggies, smoother looking 3D)

Mandoric

Banned
Neo C. said:
Obviously Iwata just wants to keep the hardware team members busy. Without more iterations, longer cycles mean less work for the hardware team.

Please elaborate. Does it really influence significantly the LCD pricing for future handhelds, when the setup of the DS2 will be different anyway (for example, higher resolution)?

You think the DS2 will be higher-resolution :lol :lol

[Nintex]

Regulus Tera said:
This is gonna be the third time in one month you guys do this.

THE THIRD TIME IN ONE MONTH
Well, they did keep ExciteBike under wraps and this new DSi model so who knows. Maybe we'll get a trailer or two from various games(like Zelda Spirit Tracks, Galaxy 2 etc.)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Nintex] said:
Well, they did keep ExciteBike under wraps and this new DSi model so who knows. Maybe we'll get a trailer or two from various games(like Zelda Spirit Tracks, Galaxy 2 etc.)

I give up with you guys.

Graf Nudu said:
Why not just release a gooddamn DS2 (or preferable a Gameboy 2) instead of all these models?

FUCK NO

Besides the software is still selling shitloads.

Neo C.

Mandoric said:
You think the DS2 will be higher-resolution :lol :lol
Uh yeah, sarcasm aside, higher resolution than 2x256x192 for the next generation is a given. Bigger screens with big pixels like these new DSi models aren't exactly efficient.

Gravijah

Graf Nudu said:
Well, they won't get my money. *shakes fist*

I'd like a new DS/GB, too but I'm just not going to let myself get mad when it's obvious the path Nintendo is going to go down. Plus I'm still rockin' my phat, so at some point I'll be upgrading to one of these newer DSes.

Eric C

A Twisty Fluken said:
I doubt there are any intentions to replace the current DSi with it, as there are sure to be sacrifices for the added size. That said, I will laugh if the larger size allows the GBA slot to reappear. :lol

Adding back the GBA slot would be the only thing I can say would make me regret getting a regular DSi.

If Nintendo is planning on having a handheld Virtual Console on the DSi I don't see them adding the GBA slot back.

Somnid

I'm still baffled as to why people see this as some sort of definitive DSi worth buying over the original. This thing's gonna be huge, it's gonna be heavier, it's gonna suck more battery, it's not going to replace anything and the current model isn't gonna get any cheaper. It also has zero relevance to any sort of successor.

If your eyesight is fine and you want something that can feasibly fit in a pocket you aren't going to want this one.

zigg

Somnid said:
I'm still baffled as to why people see this as some sort of definitive DSi worth buying over the original.

Likewise. I have a DSi, I love the crap out of the thing, and I sure as hell am not replacing it with a larger version.

JKBii

Somnid said:
I'm still baffled as to why people see this as some sort of definitive DSi worth buying over the original. This thing's gonna be huge, it's gonna be heavier, it's gonna suck more battery, it's not going to replace anything and the current model isn't gonna get any cheaper. It also has zero relevance to any sort of successor.

If your eyesight is fine and you want something that can feasibly fit in a pocket you aren't going to want this one.

This. It sounds like they are just trying to make things easier for the elderly who have poor eyesight and that's it. You guys do not need to buy every new thing that comes out in the video game industry, they aren't all intended for you.

onken

Somnid said:

Making the screen half an inch bigger will make it huge? Give the fucking hyperbole a rest.

Somnid

onken said:
Making the screen half an inch bigger will make it huge? Give the fucking hyperbole a rest.

It'd probably make it about a tad shorter than a PSP and maybe half and inch taller. PSP is not a pocket friendly system (ie huge). DSi isn't tiny either, but it's more manageable. Another way to think about it would be a DS fat that's wider and taller but a little less thick.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JKBii said:
This. It sounds like they are just trying to make things easier for the elderly who have poor eyesight and that's it. You guys do not need to buy every new thing that comes out in the video game industry, they aren't all intended for you.

Except that virtually every product being released by the industry is marketed as being a mandatory upgrade. Industry doesn't get to have it both ways. Either you market your product to mass audiences and mass audiences get to bitch if they think it's shitty, or you market your product to a niche.

If Nintendo unveils this as "A DS made for people who are elderly / have poor vision", I'm sure people here will troll it, but it won't be "Nintendo is ripping us off", it'll be "lol old people lol".

KingJ2002 said:
Thanks for the heads up neo.

I think this probably is a better indicator if any that nintendo is gearing up to release a DS successor. This is very much a market testor to gauge interest in a hardware revamp.

That could have been said about ds lite and dsi...

Somnid

Stumpokapow said:
Except that virtually every product being released by the industry is marketed as being a mandatory upgrade. Industry doesn't get to have it both ways.

That's because the industry only has a specific target userbase which is male 20-somethings so of course they couldn't sell to anyone else. They have to get the same saturated group to upgrade. I wouldn't be surprised to see this as very popular as no gadgets or game systems are designed with people older than 30 in mind.

JKBii

Stumpokapow said:
Except that virtually every product being released by the industry is marketed as being a mandatory upgrade. Industry doesn't get to have it both ways. Either you market your product to mass audiences and mass audiences get to bitch if they think it's shitty, or you market your product to a niche.

If Nintendo unveils this as "A DS made for people who are elderly / have poor vision", I'm sure people here will troll it, but it won't be "Nintendo is ripping us off", it'll be "lol old people lol".

There is no such thing as a mandatory upgrade. I was playing the DS a few months into the DS Lite's life and I'm still playing on the DS Lite now despite the DSi. If you are so enthusiastic about new technology that not only are you unable to stop yourself from buying this new piece of hardware when it comes out, but you know you will be unable to stop yourself without seeing so much as a screenshot of the hardware, then Nintendo is really not the problem here.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Stumpokapow said:

no. Virtually every product is interpreted by GAF as a mandatory upgrade. Big difference.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JKBii said:
There is no such thing as a mandatory upgrade. I was playing the DS a few months into the DS Lite's life and I'm still playing on the DS Lite now despite the DSi.

No shit there's no such thing as a mandatory upgrade. We could all still be playing PS1s. But a company doesn't get to advertise and encourage the upgrade to all demographics while simultaneously insulating themselves from criticism about the content of the upgrade.

If you are so enthusiastic about new technology that not only are you unable to stop yourself from buying this new piece of hardware when it comes out, but you know you will be unable to stop yourself without seeing so much as a screenshot of the hardware, then Nintendo is really not the problem here.

Nintendo wants consumer money, thus Nintendo gets consumer feedback. I don't see any reality where Nintendo is not accountable for the reaction to their products. If Nintendo sold gold-plated lumps of shit, customers would be morons to buy it, but there'd still be criticism to level at Nintendo.

If this is a product that ends up being boutique-marketed, sold as an alternative, and promoted to a very specific group of people (IE a marketing campaign exclusively with old people playing non-games) then people on GAF aren't going to complain about this being a "useless upgrade". If there are billboards in Times Square with Zelda and lifestyle photos of twenty-somethings, then, yes, Nintendo is going to catch heat for a useless upgrade.

Does this not make sense?

When the next-gen Nintendo handheld rolls around, I have absolutely no idea at what point I'd justify picking it up with the DS having seen so many fucking revisions this time around. Obviously GAF's DS Collection Force must have the money to splash on the same hardware 3-4 times in a row, but I've never done that. I guess Nintendo's once again lucky to have the kind of fans that dont get too pissed off about stuff like this. I have an original GBA and DS here and theyre constant reminders of me being a fucking stupid early adopter next to my PSP-1000 which can still play every game out and wasn't a piece of shit compared to later models.

I guess the benefit will be the next handheld should have the online stores and whatever in place from the start so I wouldn't be locked out of actual content like I now am with the DSi's introduction and DSi-ware. Also the tentative fun of if their next handheld will be region-locked from the start will be an incredible talking point :lol

Also if this new DSi is coming this year, surely there'll be pictures soon?

SecretBonusPoint said:
When the next-gen Nintendo handheld rolls around, I have absolutely no idea at what point I'd justify picking it up with the DS having seen so many fucking revisions this time around. Obviously GAF's DS Collection Force must have the money to splash on the same hardware 3-4 times in a row, but I've never done that. I guess Nintendo's once again lucky to have the kind of fans that dont get too pissed off about stuff like this. I have an original GBA and DS here and theyre constant reminders of me being a fucking stupid early adopter next to my PSP-1000 which can still play every game out and wasn't a piece of shit compared to later models.

I guess the benefit will be the next handheld should have the online stores and whatever in place from the start so I wouldn't be locked out of actual content like I now am with the DSi's introduction and DSi-ware. Also the tentative fun of if their next handheld will be region-locked from the start will be an incredible talking point :lol

Also if this new DSi is coming this year, surely there'll be pictures soon?

Well, for the DS upgrade route:

DS: New nintendo handheld! I'll buy it.
DS Lite: It's no longer hideous and all around better designed. I'll buy it.
DSi: Uh, I guess there will be DSi only/enhanced games in the future. And the d-pad and shoulder buttons are supposed to be good now. Gotta buy it.

If this 4 inch model is real, I can't think of a reason to upgrade. DS visuals blown up would be kinda repulsive assuming they keep the same resolution and just made the screen bigger (they did with the DSi, but it was also .25 inches instead of a full one).

Whats the plan for Nintendo handhelds now? Will this minor DSi revision delay Nintendo's next gen portable till 2011? But that'll be the same year as WiiHD and I'm sure Nintendo dont tend to release both portable and home systems in the same year...

Captain Chaos said:
Whats the plan for Nintendo handhelds now? Will this minor DSi revision delay Nintendo's next gen portable till 2011? But that'll be the same year as WiiHD and I'm sure Nintendo dont tend to release both portable and home systems in the same year...
GBA and GCN, 2001.

My favorite part is going to be transferring all of my current great DSiWare library to my new DSi2! Oh wait...

I don't understand how the screen could be the same resolution and be 4" or larger. If Nintendo truly is making this system as an E-Book reader, how the heck would that work at the DS's resolution? It would be the worst reading experience ever.

I'm still thinking Nintendo is going the Apple route with all these iterations, with DSi hardware eventually becoming the new baseline for development.

bmf said:
Title safe - 10% off the top, bottom, left, and right. I hate overscan.

If your TV's resolution is 320x240 - 256x192 becomes your real usable size. If it's 640x480, your usable size is 512x384. I hate overscan. I double-hate the ATSC for not resolving this. Most LCD's and plasma HDTV's are pretty good about maintaining a small overscan area. Traditional RPTV's do not, and DLP's are a bit varied, but definitely worse than LCDs and Plasmas tend to be. Overscan means wasted pixels, bandwidth, and titles that are way too close to the center of the screen. A proper definition of "NO OVERSCAN ANYMORE" would have made things better all the way around.

I bought my HDTV particularly because when I have a PC hooked up to it, and give it a signal at it's native resolution, it gives me a perfect picture, at native res (1366x768) with no overscan whatsoever.
I have the same problem with my 1080i CRT, but the picture quality otherwise is unbeatable.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Has anyone found out whether or not they're increasing the DPI? Enlarged pixels make me a sad panda.

Top Bottom