• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

I didn't realize that new Disma EP came out on my birthday. Listening to it now and it's got me craving a second album. One of the sickest guitar tones I've ever heard!

I was hyped for that EP until I saw it was 2 songs

What's the point of releases like that. Even if they are longer songs (they're indeed good though)

fallout

Sometimes you find fun pictures while digging through M-A ...

3120_photo.jpg

I was hyped for that EP until I saw it was 2 songs

What's the point of releases like that. Even if they are longer songs (they're indeed good though)

As long as it's priced accordingly it's fine with me! Short EPs are cheap EPs! And as you already said these two songs are DAMN good. But after Towards the Megalith I can trust Disma to release some crushing death metal.

So what is the best metal so far this year?

I'm torn between Mastodon, Power Trip and Darkest Hour.

For me it is Pallbearer's album "Heartless" (doom), and Pillorian's debut album "Obsidian Arc" (black metal).

Pillorian is a new band formed after the break up of Agalloch last year which John Haughm is part of, the rest of ex-Agalloch (Jason Walton, Don Anderson, Aesop Dekker) formed a new band called Khôrada that includes a member of Giant Squid, Aaron Gregory. Interested to hear what they make, they're currently working on their debut album.

Not sure how I feel about the new Full Of Hell yet

It seems like a grower, and I do like it. Not totally in love with it though.

Some of the more experimental stuff and samples do absolutely nothing for me. The title track (which I think they're releasing today) feels like "look how artsy and diverse we are". It sounds nothing like you? Sounds like the soundtrack to Sucker Punch

I definitely think the production is too clean for them. It's weird being able to hear what he's singing most of the time (and I'd almost rather not since it's all edgelord shit, lol)

Fractured Quartz is probably my favorite song

Anyone get into Runic Liar Flags (folk/melodeath, 2006, Spain)?
61VJW7JOQvL.jpg

This might sound even better now than it did in '06. I've been going through my collection and listening to a bunch of early-mid 2000's stuff and I forgot how disgusting this album is. They didn't follow this up as far as I know, which is a shame. They outdo In Flames at their own game while making one of the great all time folk metal albums. I really dig what they achieved with the snare sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz_IntPZugs

Hela

Had some catching up to do in this thread and I just want to say that the new Terrifier might be the best thing I've heard from 2017.

Ravager61

This is pretty good actually. I haven't followed anything they've done since Organic Hallucinosis.

Reading the thread makes me realize I really haven't listened to very many new metal albums in 2017 so far. Power Trip and Pallbearer are the only 2 that come to mind. Power Trip I loved but was underwhelmed by Pallbearer.

Nachtmaer

Just stumbled across Hemelbestormer. Haven't given em some proper spins yet, but so far I'm digging it.

Whoever's into the whole post/doom/sludge with some black metal thrown in there thing might wanna check em out.

RDreamer

Not sure I understand the Aryeon love so far. I used to be a massive fan but after THE everything sounds the same, like he ran out of ideas. After a few listens this sounds better than the previous one, but it still kinda sounds samey.

Maybe I'll listen a few more times and eat my words later.

Kaladin

Not sure I understand the Aryeon love so far. I used to be a massive fan but after THE everything sounds the same, like he ran out of ideas. After a few listens this sounds better than the previous one, but it still kinda sounds samey.

I had the same criticisms of his latest work too. That and if I'm not into it, I just don't have the time to devote to a 2 hour + concept album that is hard to get into. I didn't have that issue with earlier stuff like The Human Equation.

For me, this is my first Ayreon album so it's all brand new.

And I fucking love giant concept albums that tell big stupid stories, so basically it's everything I could ever want there.

ShaneB

Interesting replies, my first Ayreon album as well that hooked me instantly. Was excited since the first single was released. That guitar tone is incredible. Tried to get into the other albums ages ago, but will have to give them a listen again.

I always thought Comatose was an awesome track. edit: Actually checking out another project of his 'The Gentle Storm' and really liking it.

Same for me. 'THE' is one of my all-time favorite albums, and 011001 was good. But holy shit I despised 'Theory'. So boring and spun its wheels, even though I love Tommy K.
Micheal from circus Maximus is the only saving grace of the album.

Just stumbled across Hemelbestormer. Haven't given em some proper spins yet, but so far I'm digging it.

Whoever's into the whole post/doom/sludge with some black metal thrown in there thing might wanna check em out.

Sounds good. Noticed this is part of a split with Vanessa van Basten who are (well, were :() another really good band to check out.

RDreamer

Ok, I take back my bitching about the raving for the new Ayreon album :p

I listened a bit over two more times yesterday and I'm digging it. It'll still be hard as hell for it to land in my top 10 this year, but it's good stuff. Definitely the best since THE.

ShaneB

Yup, not caring about those new Iced Earth tracks.

GPM recommended me this 'Liv Sin - Follow Me' album because I like Battle Beast. It's pretty great so far, heavy as heck.

lordxar

New Iced Earth is pretty bad ass to me. Raven Wings has a nice groove and Seven Headed Whore is nice and thrashy. Can't wait for the full album!

Just noticed from The Ajna Offensive that Funeral Mist's discography is finally getting reprinted on vinyl. Time to get that Salvation on my shelf at long last.

FIN - Arrows Of A Dying Age - this rules. Ultra rad black metal, riffs on riffs

this is one of the more interesting USBM entities I've come across, and I actually ran out and got everything they had as soon as I heard The Furrows of Tradition the first time. I love the consistent use of the high register for the two man black metal sound which I find very unique. Incredibly strong drumming as well. Will be picking up this new CD as soon as I find it stateside.

Top Bottom