• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare boss reiterates no old IP revival unless completely paradigm shifting idea

Renna Hazel

Yooka Laylee's "problem" was that it wasn't made by Nintendo. I guarantee you that when Odyssey comes out, everybody will be singing its praises and the game will be touted for "successfully returning the platformer genre to the N64 days" no matter the quality of the game while Yooka Laylee will be forgotten.

It's the same reason why Banjo Kazooie is criticized as a "collectathon" while Mario 64 gets a pass even though you technically collect more things in Mario 64.

Oh please. If the game doesn't hit expectations, the world will hear about it. Mario Sunshine got a lot of flak for not living up to Mario 64 despite being a great game. People really need to drop the excuses for why Nintendo games get praise. They're good.

Banjo-Kazooie is called a collectathon based on it's structure. It IS different from Mario 64. Even Rare will call it that. Not that it's a bad thing, BK is one of the greatest games of all time.

Salty Hippo

If it doesn't affect your point, then your point was wrong in the first place quite frankly. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your predictions on what games Rare is actually going to be working on... only how you're parsing the part of the interview you decided to make this thread on. He only states the IP would need to see something "genuinely new and innovative". This could very well describe both a Nuts & Bolts or a Mario Odyssey. What it wouldn't describe though, would be a Yooka-Laylee, that attempts to slavishly replicate the experience of the prior games. If I'm honest the whole thing about saying that "people would think they want it" seems like an indirect dig at stuff like Yooka-Laylee and other such kickstarters where the inspiration seems to end at "remember that classic game? we'll make a new one just like it!!", where the final result has been routinely leaving most disappointed. Considering he directly mentioned Nintendo as the first name drop when talking about how gaming moves on, it certainly doesn't suggest that their approach to handle IP is incompatible with what he views Banjo as requiring.

I think we're mostly in agreement here. I agree it's impossible to tell for sure if he meant N&B or Odyssey, but I do believe N&B's existence itself, Craig Duncan's past 4 years of interviews and Microsoft's recent push for GaaS suggest that he means the former rather than the latter. That's my point. We can't know for sure, but I'm not basing my point on tales from my ass. I live and breath Rare stuff and my "decision to be grumpy" is an informed one, believe me.

I also agree that a new Banjo can't be a Yooka-Laylee, but more because of quality and execution than design philosophy or innovation. People need to understand Yooka-Laylee is far from being an exact Banjo replica, it's a bad game that would be bad if it released in 1998 as well. It doesn't hold a candle to the game it's inspired by in any regard other than obviously graphics tech. A Banjo-Threeie that didn't have any crazy new gimmick wouldn't catch everybody's attention, but I can almost guarantee it would be well received by critics and fans if it kept everything that was good about the original (something that Y-L fails tremendously at) and modernized a few key things like movement, traversal and the dynamic of the transformations. And if the budget was right, it would also probably be financially successful.

They don't have to stop working on new things to cater to half a dozen old fans like me, but they could set up a small, passionated, fairly talented team to do continuous work on their legacy IP. It would be relatively cheap and keep everybody happy. Phil Spencer is at a situation where he can't handpick exclusive games. Even if Banjo 3 did just enough to break even that would already be a positive for them because it would bolster and diversify their portfolio greatly. It's a shame Microsoft don't really believe in this kind of mentality. But this is an entirely different discussion.

daTRUballin

Oh please. If the game doesn't hit expectations, the world will hear about it. Mario Sunshine got a lot of flak for not living up to Mario 64 despite being a great game. People really need to drop the excuses for why Nintendo games get praise. They're good.

Banjo-Kazooie is called a collectathon based on it's structure. It IS different from Mario 64. Even Rare will call it that. Not that it's a bad thing, BK is one of the greatest games of all time.

Originally, the word "collectathon" was meant to be used as a negative word to describe certain games. It's just that we've become so used to the word that we just use it to differentiate certain platformers from others in the genre.

If Banjo Kazooie can be called a collectathon, then so can Mario 64. You collect things in Mario 64 as well. Having to collect 100 coins in each world to gain a power star is probably a more painful process than anything in Banjo. Don't get me wrong, it can be fun in some worlds. But in a world like Rainbow Ride? Nope nope nope. Fuck that shit.

Renna Hazel

Originally, the word "collectathon" was meant to be a used as a negative word to describe certain games. It's just that we've become so used to the word that we just use it to differentiate certain platformers from others in the genre.

If Banjo Kazooie can be called a collectathon, then so can Mario 64. You collect things in Mario 64 as well. Having to collect 100 coins in each world to gain a power star is probably a more painful process than anything in Banjo. Don't get me wrong, it can be fun in some worlds. But in a world like Rainbow Ride? Nope nope nope. Fuck that shit.

You collect things in most games. Any RPG, most shooters etc. Banjo has a very unique structure and collectathon platformer is a good way to describe it. Mario 64 doesn't really have a similar structure.

BK and BT were both heavily praised at release as well. Only one of them deserved it though.

daTRUballin

I truly believe if the Stampers didn't leave the company we would have gotten it by now.

Huh. What makes you say that? We still got Viva Piñata 2 even without the Stampers......

You collect things in most games. Any RPG, most shooters etc. Banjo has a very unique structure and collectathon platformer is a good way to describe it. Mario 64 doesn't really have a similar structure.

BK and BT were both heavily praised at release as well. Only one of them deserved it though.

Oof. Some strong words there. How so?

I support this. If you had to pick a studio to develop fresh and creative new ip, Rare is a great choice.

Leave the development of Rare revival games to other studios, like with what happened with Killer Instinct. That way, you get studios that are far better in their genre than Rare ever was or could be.

Dremorak

Banned
I think they are worried they wouldnt be able to make something that lives up to the crazy amount of expectation that kind of game would have

Sponge

Banned
Huh. What makes you say that? We still got Viva Piñata 2 even without the Stampers......

We did. Two years after the first and the same year as Nuts & Bolts. The game that after it's flop sealed Rare's Kinect fate for years. This is just my opinion but I believe the Stamper brothers were the two driving forces behind Rare and it's direction, and it's not surprising to me only a few years after they left that Rare was restructured.

Renna Hazel

Oof. Some strong words there. How so?

BT is a good game but they definitely went overboard with the backtracking in that one. It wasn't clever backtracking either, it was just running to one end of the world only to find out that you need Kazooie by herself to stand on this pad to proceed forward. The game was full of stuff like that which killed the pacing. I think it was too bloated for it's own good.

BK on the other hand, is perfection. Not much I'd change about that game.

daTRUballin

We did. Two years after the first and the same year as Nuts & Bolts. The game that after it's flop sealed Rare's Kinect fate for years. This is just my opinion but I believe the Stamper brothers were the two driving forces behind Rare and it's direction, and it's not surprising to me only a few years after they left that Rare was restructured.

The thing is, Rare was already struggling even when the Stampers were still there. They were already considered a shadow of their former selves even before the Kinect. But I think this isn't the fault of the Stampers. You have to remember Microsoft completely owns the studio. The Stampers weren't exactly running the show anymore.

So I don't think the Stampers still being there would make a difference for Viva Piñata 3 existing. Or any other games for that matter. It would've been interesting to see if they would've been making Kinect games with the Stampers still there, but as I've said, MS was/is the one running the place. Not the Stampers. The Stampers probably had as much power as Craig Duncan now has. But I may be wrong here. These are just my thoughts. :p

BT is a good game but they definitely went overboard with the backtracking in that one. It wasn't clever backtracking either, it was just running to one end of the world only to find out that you need Kazooie by herself to stand on this pad to proceed forward. The game was full of stuff like that which killed the pacing. I think it was too bloated for it's own good.

BK on the other hand, is perfection. Not much I'd change about that game.

Yeah, I agree. BK was definitely the better structured game, but I think that's generally agreed upon. Both are good games though.

BK has the better soundtrack though. Hell, even DK64 probably had a better soundtrack than Tooie. It's still good though.

Wamb0wneD

Even more assinine in the wake of the success of crash.

Crash was a remake. How many of the people who actually made Banjo Kazooie (Tooie already fought with game design problems) are still with Rare? Good platformers take expertise.
If they made a Crash-like remake for BK then sure, but otherwise I just don't see it.

Sponge

Banned
The thing is, Rare was already struggling even when the Stampers were still there. They were already considered a shadow of their former selves even before the Kinect. But I think this isn't the fault of the Stampers. You have to remember Microsoft completely owns the studio. The Stampers weren't exactly running the show anymore.

So I don't think the Stampers still being there would make a difference for Viva Piñata 3 existing. Or any other games for that matter. It would've been interesting to see if they would've been making Kinect games with the Stampers still there, but as I've said, MS was/is the one running the place. Not the Stampers.

That's definitely a factor most people don't think about concerning Microsoft's purchase of Rare. Nintendo never owned Rare as a whole, and only had some stake in the company. Nintendo would lend out Doneky Kong or give Rare some licenses like Goldeneye or Mickey's Speedway, but the Stampers were running the place otherwise.

Lots of concepts Rare wanted to do with Microsoft just didn't happen because they weren't greenlite. I think Perfect Dark Zero was the point I noticed when people were calling Rare dead. So the Stampers sticking around probably wouldn't have changed that narrative. I just feel if they stuck around Rare might have still had some identity and would have fought to keep Rare from being a Kinect studio. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like they wouldn't have been okay with that. That's just me speculating though.

Renna Hazel

So I don't think the Stampers still being there would make a difference for Viva Piñata 3 existing. Or any other games for that matter. It would've been interesting to see if they would've been making Kinect games with the Stampers still there, but as I've said, MS was/is the one running the place. Not the Stampers. The Stampers probably had as much power as Craig Duncan now has. But I may be wrong here. These are just my thoughts. :p

Yeah, I agree. BK was definitely the better structured game, but I think that's generally agreed upon. Both are good games though.

BK has the better soundtrack though. Hell, even DK64 probably had a better soundtrack than Tooie. It's still good though.

I think Tooie beats out DK64's soundtrack, but both are great. Almost all Rare games have amazing music in my opinion. Jet Force has one of the most underrated soundtracks in gaming. I hope this trend continues with SoT, that way I can at least get something out of the game.

Yooka Laylee's "problem" was that it wasn't made by Nintendo. I guarantee you that when Odyssey comes out, everybody will be singing its praises and the game will be touted for "successfully returning the platformer genre to the N64 days" no matter the quality of the game while Yooka Laylee will be forgotten.

It's the same reason why Banjo Kazooie is criticized as a "collectathon" while Mario 64 gets a pass even though you technically collect more things in Mario 64.

Yooka Laylee will be forgotten because it's a poor attempt at a spiritual sequel to banjo kazooie that simply isn't all that good. You really think if Nintendo created a platform we of that quality they wouldn't be torn to shreds? If anything the game got off lightly because it's an indie game and so many people are desperate for a BK game. If Nintendo made a 3D platformer of that quality you'd never hear the end of it.

Even sunshine which is a damn good game has been torn to shreds for years.

BK and M64 are totally different games and you do them both a disservice by making it sound like they're the same. I don't understand the complaint either because BK was highly regarded and sold well and the whole reason yooka laylee was made is because there are a lot of people out there who have fond memories of BK. I love the BK games but I also recognise that they revolved heavily around collecting things.

It's hard to really take your post seriously when you're comparing Mario odyssey to yooka laylee on any level.

Wamb0wneD

Let me guess, you're not going to play Odyssey but complain that the reviews are too high anyway.
If Nintendo made Yooka Laylee in the form it released it would have gotten the same reviews and an insane amount of Nintendo is doomed threads and posts.
It was not a good game.

Edit:
It's hard to really take your post seriously when you're comparing Mario odyssey to yooka laylee on any level.
Also this.

Good.

A studio like Rare should be focused on the future of gaming with new ideas instead of attempting to sell to the nostalgia of a small minority of gamers in their 20's and 30's with nostalgia for games of their youth.

Rare isn't living in 1996 anymore, and that's a good thing.

daTRUballin

I think Tooie beats out DK64's soundtrack, but both are great. Almost all Rare games have amazing music in my opinion. Jet Force has one of the most underrated soundtracks in gaming. I hope this trend continues with SoT, that way I can at least get something out of the game.

Yeah, Rare's soundtracks are really something else. Even something as obscure as Mickey's Speedway USA has an underrated soundtrack.

Yooka Laylee will be forgotten because it's a poor attempt at a spiritual sequel to banjo kazooie that simply isn't all that good. You really think if Nintendo created a platform we of that quality they wouldn't be torn to shreds? If anything the game got off lightly because it's an indie game and so many people are desperate for a BK game. If Nintendo made a 3D platformer of that quality you'd never hear the end of it.

Even sunshine which is a damn good game has been torn to shreds for years.

BK and M64 are totally different games and you do them both a disservice by making it sound like they're the same. I don't understand the complaint either because BK was highly regarded and sold well and the whole reason yooka laylee was made is because there are a lot of people out there who have fond memories of BK. I love the BK games but I also recognise that they revolved heavily around collecting things.

Let me guess, you're not going to play Odyssey but complain that the reviews are too high anyway.
If Nintendo made Yooka Laylee in the form it released it would have gotten the same reviews and an insane amount of Nintendo is doomed threads and posts.
It was not a good game.

Edit:
Also this.

I don't get how my posts can't be taken seriously if I compare Yooka Laylee to Odyssey. What's the problem? Why can't I? They're both major 3D platformers that came out/are coming out this year. So why not?

And let's wait and see how Odyssey will turn out before claiming that it'll be better than Yooka Laylee.

I'm not saying it won't be better, but I'm not going to definitively say it's going to be better because it's made by Nintendo. Maybe the problem is that I haven't seen any gameplay for myself? Would that convince me it's going to be better?

Salty Hippo

Crash was a remake. How many of the people who actually made Banjo Kazooie (Tooie already fought with game design problems) are still with Rare? Good platformers take expertise.
If they made a Crash-like remake for BK then sure, but otherwise I just don't see it.

One. The guy who created it, directed it and designed it.

Actually two, the writer is also still there.

Wamb0wneD

One. The guy who created it, directed it and designed it.

Actually two, the writer is also still there.

Well then that point of mine is moot. Should be enough to get something good done then, if they wanted that is.

I don't get how my posts can't be taken seriously if I compare Yooka Laylee to Odyssey. What's the problem? Why can't I? They're both major 3D platformers that came out/are coming out this year. Why not?

And let's wait and see how Odyssey will turn out before claiming that it'll be better than Yooka Laylee.

I'm not saying it won't be better, but I'm not going to say it's going to be definitively better because it's made by Nintendo. Maybe the problem is that I haven't seen any gameplay for myself? Would that convince me it's going to be better?

Are you for real?

Wamb0wneD

There's tons of gameplay out there, and previews by now as well. So yes, knowing what you're talking about helps in a discussion and when making comparisons. Maybe consider that people who are saying it's going to be better don't say it because it's made by Nintendo but because they have seen enough footage to safely make that claim.

I watched over an hour of different gameplay before i stopped myself, there are like 4 or 5 different kingdoms on display online, with commentary from all news outlets out there and without, and even after that one and a half hour or less I can safely say this game is going to be miles better than Yooka Laylee.

HeroR

That's the thing I really don't get about Nintendo.

They say stuff like that, but 10 mainline Mario Party games in 15 years would seem to discredit that claim.

And it's not like they completely revolutionize Fire Emblem with each instalment.

Not that I'm complaining when they don't. Metroid: Samus Returns, which I'm loving, makes some minor adjustments to the formula, but on the whole there's no Star Fox: Zero-esque shoehorning in a new mechanic based around the unique capabilities of the 3DS that ends up compromising the game. People have been wanting a competent, focused Star Fox 64 sequel for 20 years now but Nintendo refuses.

Nintendo didn't make the Mario Party games until 8, which drastically shifted the format. Fire Emblem is also Int System, which isn't technically part of Nintendo. They're like Game Freaks.

Metroid: Samus Returns makes a lot of changes to the original game by adding from the different entries including Other M.

daTRUballin

There's tons of gameplay out there, and previews by now as well. So yes, knowing what you're talking about helps in a discussion and when making comparisons.

Well, if you've seen the gameplay and you're sure that it'll be better than YL, then fair enough. My point was that let's not blindly assume it's going to be better because it's a Mario game. I'm sure there must've been people who already assumed it was going to be better before the gameplay was even shown. I understand that Nintendo games do tend to be of the highest quality, but still.

Keinning

Even if Banjo 3 did just enough to break even that would already be a positive for them because it would bolster and diversify their portfolio greatly.

I really doubt banjo threeie would get anywhere close breaking even, even with a smaller budget. The demand just isn't there - a loud minority claiming they want the game more than anything would not be enough to justify the money, personnel and time cost in the eyes of MS/Rare

And microsoft just ain't interested in duds to "expand their portfolio" after several attempts, sadly. Just a thing to get used and/or move on.

And Nuts & Bolts is nowhere as bad as people paint it but hell no its not even top three banjo games. Yes, it loses to banjo pilot and the other GBA game even

HeroR

It was not a good game.

Edit:
Also this.

I think it would be lower since people expects more out of Nintendo since they've been the king of plateformer since Sonic's quality declined. Yooka Laylee got a lot of benefit of the doubt since the company that made it is a) indie and don't have a lot of money and resources and b) their first game as a company so the game was going to have kinks.

Their next game will be more criticized and they know it, which is why I believe they're taking the shortcomings of Yooka Laylee to heart and will hopefully improve it.

Wamb0wneD

Well, if you've seen the gameplay and you're sure that it'll be better than YL, then fair enough. My point was that let's not blindly assume it's going to be better because it's a Mario game. I'm sure there must've been people who already assumed it was going to be better before the gameplay was even shown. I understand that Nintendo games do tend to be of the highest quality, but still.

I just wonder why you make claims like the bolded instead of just watching some gameplay yourself? Or do you not want to spoil yourself?
It's not even about Nintendo games in general, they make duds as well. Star Fox 0 and Paper Mario or Mario Party say hi.

But when you have 5 mainline console 3D Mario games in 20 years that all were of high quality, sometimes dripping with innovative gameplay like 64 or Galaxy, then it's not outlandish or fanboish to assume that the next one will be good as well. These devs know what they are doing (most of the time) and I'm pretty sure that barely anyone assumes anything blindly. Most people couldn't help themselves and watched footage of it, so they know what to expect. There's like 5 hours of it out there.

Renna Hazel

It's fair to take team pedigree into account. Of course nothing is a more accurate measure than playing the game itself but you can use information available to make an educated guess. I assumed Zelda BotW would be better than 1-2 Switch prior to playing either. It's a fair assumption to make. People can be impressed by what they see and hear about a game.

daTRUballin

I just wonder why you make claims like the bolded instead of just watching some gameplay yourself? Or do you not want to spoil yourself?
It's not even about Nintendo games in general, they make duds as well. Star Fox 0 and Paper Mario or Mario Party say hi.

But when you have 5 mainline console 3D Mario games in 20 years that all were of high quality, sometimes dripping with innovative gameplay like 64 or Galaxy, then it's not outlandish or fanboish to assume that the next one will be good as well. These devs know what they are doing (most of the time) and I'm pretty sure that barely anyone assumes anything blindly. Most people couldn't help themselves and watched footage of it, so they know what to expect. There's like 5 hours of it out there.

It's fair to take team pedigree into account. Of course nothing is a more accurate measure than playing the game itself but you can use information available to make an educated guess. I assumed Zelda BotW would be better than 1-2 Switch prior to playing either. It's a fair assumption to make. People can be impressed by what they see and hear about a game.

I'm not necessarily claiming anybody that thinks Odyssey will be better than Yooka Laylee is a fanboy or anything like that. But I feel like some people would always just assume a Nintendo game would always be better than a similar game coming out at the same time. For example, if Rare were to be releasing Banjo Threeie alongside Odyssey, which game would you think most people would be biased towards?

Or take a look at the criticism Banjo Kazooie gets compared to Mario 64 as I've already mentioned earlier in the thread. Both games are structured around collecting things. Sure, they're executed a bit differently, but they're still both about exploring and collecting. But which game gets criticized for being a "collectathon"? Banjo Kazooie. Even though Mario 64 has lots of things to collect as well. Even more so! Collecting 100 coins in each world to get a star can be an annoying process. It wasn't until Donkey Kong 64 when Rare started going a bit over the top with the collecting, but for some reason, everybody attacks Banjo Kazooie for being a "collectathon". The collecting in that game really isn't that bad compared to some other games.

That's not to say Mario 64 wasn't an amazing game or that it wasn't revolutionary for its time. Banjo owes its existence to Mario 64 after all (its camera has aged a lot better than Mario's though). I just think gamers can be unfair sometimes, so it wouldn't surprise me if people act the same way with Odyssey and Yooka Laylee.

But I do realize that Yooka's situation is a bit different because Banjo Kazooie was at least considered a good game back in the day. Yooka Laylee? Yeeeaahhh.....

Head.spawn

I don't get how my posts can't be taken seriously if I compare Yooka Laylee to Odyssey. What's the problem? Why can't I? They're both major 3D platformers that came out/are coming out this year. So why not?

I'm not saying it won't be better, but I'm not going to definitively say it's going to be better because it's made by Nintendo. Maybe the problem is that I haven't seen any gameplay for myself? Would that convince me it's going to be better?

I will though.

You don't need to see gameplay to know that.

Sponge

Banned
I'd be fine with a modern remake of Banjo Kazooie and Tooie that combine them into one supergame with connected overworld

But that's not what Rare thinks you want though.

Meanwhile in some universe where N&B sold well you know they woyld still be making more of that.

Galang

Banned
You don't need to completely reinvent the wheel for every single sequel. I'd agree with him if there was already a million sequels for their older IP, but there isn't.

chemicals

It just seems to me that Rare is banking it's whole existence on Sea Of Thieves. I would like to think that I can trust them to make a great game, but when was their last great game? Viva Pinata Trouble In Paradise was good, but not a must play.

Top Bottom