• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: We're upping our investment with first party and committed to innovate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever you say, Phil. PC gaming hasn't changed at all, DX12 hasn't really done shit when you have Vulkan that supports ALL platforms and not just W10 offering usually more results.

Crayon

I think it's easier to understand the effect and economics of exclusive games when you consider them a marketing exercise. A "system seller" can actually sell some systems but more important is that the game becomes associated with the system. This used to even take the form of a platform mascot like sonic. Think back on how Halo was inseparable from xbox. Or Gran Turismo from Playstation. Marketing is important and these hit exclusive games become footholds for the brand.

Still not seeing why you can't have a single player game and it be a game as a service. Tell Tale and Hitman do it. No reason why they can't do the same with games like ReCore or Quantum Break #SaveBeth. SP games don't have to be one and done and I'll repeat, putting the exclusive SP games on GamePass will be a smart move and have those games have seasons and such so the story can evolve over time. Imo, Zelda can do service type of stuff in that world cuz it's so big and it would be awesome. Even story type of stuff.

But honestly, a GAAS doesn't have to mean a Destiny, Overwatch, or multiplayer type of game. Developers just need to rethink single player to also have the service type of stuff in there like Tell Tale but on a "core audience" type of thing. Funny enough, that's what I was planning with my Indy game but I need time to work on it.

I dont think that there is a "death" of single player 1P Xbox games... just that the model of them may not be the same. That's basically what Phil is stating but of course doom and gloom.
Because not everyone play the entire single player content so treating it as a service by releasing more content means increasingly less consumers to spent money on. Also, there's the question of what is fair to monetize or what's not, which developers not always get right.

And I finally read the whole interview. Phil actually makes an excellent point. People thinking they are not investing in big single player games should really read the interview and not just some quotes. Basically Phil wants game pass to become a service, so games that are not a service can monetize on the platform. He specifically says that he and Shanon Loftis are looking at game pass as a way to delivery on new story driven/sp games, and not just a repository of old stuff.

Agreed, Hitman is great and I'd love to see more of that. The issue is that the "most played" (Spencer's words) GaaS are mostly competitive PvP games. People are fooling themselves if they think Microsoft's focus will be on single-player service games like Hitman. It's a great game and it did well, but it's not even close to the top of any "most played" charts.
Yeah, I'd like to see them do more than just the REQ pack model. I actually really like it for Halo 5 because it means free maps, and I feel like I receive credits at a good pace, but there's a lot more they can do with the GaaS model. KI was an early example of service based done right, so I don't view GaaS as a negative. There's a lot of potential for them to make something interesting, it's just a matter of if they will or not.

Spman2099

Man, Cuphead and Below can't come fast enough. I am sure I won't regret my One purchase when all is said and done, but that console sure as hell hasn't gotten much use...

Unfortunately, from what I am reading here, it doesn't sound like a ton of content I will be interested in is due to be announced.

vaibhavp

i expect sp games as goodwill gesture from ms. i dont know how well it does as business but if its profitable they should do it. dont worry about how much profit.

running after call of duty nos will leave them empty handed. you have to appeal to all demographic. if you really want to capture market it should have a wide variety of games.

multiplayer market is well served by battlefield/cod/titanfall etc. not many studios make games like zelda or horizon. you as first party should concentrate on that.

And I finally read the whole interview. Phil actually makes an excellent point. People thinking they are not investing in big single player games should really read the interview and not just some quotes. Basically Phil wants game pass to become a service, so games that are not a service can monetize on the platform. He specifically says that he and Shanon Loftis are looking at game pass as a way to delivery on new story driven/sp games, and not just a repository of old stuff.

I just did the same and read the full article. I agree most of the people in this thread should take the time and read the full interview.

He isn't wrong with what he is talking about.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
If they're upping the investment now, wouldn't he be talking about games we'll see in the next generation?

wapplew

If they're upping the investment now, wouldn't he be talking about games we'll see in the next generation?

Maybe he meant they upping the investment the day Phil Spencer become head of Xbox?
Still, they invested 1 billion last time, I wonder how much they upped this time around.

Wagram

This interview just kinda cements my difference of opinion with Xbox. I don't want a multiplayer focused future. Obviously there's a large audience for that and that's okay. It just means i'll have to stick with PC/PS/Switch.

Maybe he meant they upping the investment the day Phil Spencer become head of Xbox?
Still, they invested 1 billion last time, I wonder how much they upped this time around.

1,00,00,00.01 this time!

Bad joke, I know...but in all seriousness...we'll see what kind of SP investments MS makes in the next 2 yrs I'll say. Whether that be solely SP games or SP w/ GaaS MP we shall see.

You can boil down Microsoft's first party strategy at this point to "we only want to make sure thing, unlimited spend GaaS titles". I have zero interest in a platform holder that is so risk adverse.

sam12

It seems like for every two steps forward Microsoft takes a step back. They truly have not learned to listen to the gamer. They continue to chase after the games as service model when they should be innovating and fabricating something unique. Money will come once you do the hard work, but it seems MS gives up too quickly. And for those saying MS has a diverse lineup in Ryse, Quantum Break, Recore, well they do but those do not compare to masterpieces like Horizon or Zelda and hence they do not sell as compared to the latter. Get back to the games MS. You really think a well crafted Perfect Dark sequel would not sell? Or a proper Banjo Kazooie sequel? Zero and Nuts and Bolta didn't sell well cause they were flawed games. Do the hard work and fabricate something special and it will sell. MS has not done that recently at all.

Bookman

NO !
You didn't read the article. He is talking about suporting sp games and:

"I just finished [LucasArts-inspired RPG] Thimbleweed Park – I thought it was a fantastic game."

Scopio day one! I'm officially a Phil Spencer fan now.

Edit: not sure about the LucasArts-inspired RPG part tho but that's probably the author of the article.

David___

Banned
If they don't get canned like the Phantum Dust Remake, Fable Legends and Scalebound, yea.

Edit: Typing out that list reminded me of how all of them were prominent games from their 2014 presser and how people were going nuts and how Spencer saved Xbox after that.

Joystick

Microsoft is aiming for titles that make them more money than every 1st party Sony will put out this year.

Which is something you can do when you have billions in the bank. You can chase after the thing that will make you money for a decade, not the thing that'll be hot for three months and then be forgotten.

This makes no sense. What does a bank balance have to do with it? Why haven't they done it for the last 10 years? Where's the magic?

GKnight

Banned
As a fan that became an xbox fan because of great WRPG's the output the last few years has been upsetting.
I hope they are developing something.

With regards to cinematic single player game sales, there's not a lot that sales well in then area, but open world games tend to sell better. Microsoft should focus on open world games and multiplayer/service based games.

With regards to cinematic single player game sales, there's not a lot that sales well in then area, but open world games tend to sell better. Microsoft should focus on open world games and multiplayer/service based games.

Crackdown has a decently large open world gameplay for SP, similar to like Infamousbut like 0 mention of it so far since Crackdown 3 was announced other than destructible skyscrapers in MP. I would not be surprised if SP is on the backburner and it is designed with online coop missions to grind for loot/coins to buy skins with the current direction.

Salty Hippo

"Hey, I wasn't necessarily hinting at that specific thing you said, but I'd rather not address your concern directly and reassure you that we are actually (also) investing in single player and/or non-multiplayer service games. I'll just make it kinda look like I did, because why use words to say actual things when I can just stay on the fence spouting vague, ambiguous shit?"

I dunno. I kinda think if they did have some real strong story-driven games in development, he would say that. His choice to not say that kind of speaks volumes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think it's easier to understand the effect and economics of exclusive games when you consider them a marketing exercise. A "system seller" can actually sell some systems but more important is that the game becomes associated with the system. This used to even take the form of a platform mascot like sonic. Think back on how Halo was inseparable from xbox. Or Gran Turismo from Playstation. Marketing is important and these hit exclusive games become footholds for the brand.

This is an important point. MS seem to be looking at games as an isolated investment and requiring the maximum return. Sony perhaps are more aware of the important halo effect that big first party games can have on the platform as a whole. Even if your games don't make huge amounts of ey can in part be considered marketing for your platform and the overall health of your console sales will bring in license fees from third party software sales, online subscription fees etc.

Salty Hippo

I dunno. I kinda think if they did have some real strong story-driven games in development, he would say that. His choice to not say that kind of speaks volumes.

It's so obvious. This is another good example:

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/858069236832321536

If you want to disprove the idea that you're done focusing on story-based SP games you don't answer with "That's not what I said". You answer with "That's not what we're doing". It's pretty straightforward. The former is an empty, meaningless cop out statement disguised as an answer. The latter is a real answer.

tmac456

The direction they are going in regards to exclusives and 1st party support is really hurting my need to own the console going forward

modsbox

These kind of statements only serve to remind me why I sold my Xbox One. Sunset Overdrive was great, Quantum Break was ok (but I quit part way in)... It just became abundantly clear to me that Microsoft doesn't care to release AAA SP experiences and instead will crank out sequels to MP-focused titles. That's fine if those titles are amazing, exclusive, and fresh... but they haven't really offered any of those.

All this is fine if that's their strategy. To cater to the at this point typical Xbox demo. But I think they massively underappreciate the diversity of titles that the gaming populace craves, and perhaps even more importantly the absolute requirement that a platform have exclusive true must-play titles. How they don't understand this baffles me, when it was a huge part of the reason 360 was so successful.

Phil's statements directly or indirectly knock SP titles. Switch has been out for all of 2 months and already has more must-play SP titles than X1 does. Think about that. X1 has been available since 2013, and-- at launch-- Switch offered a superior SP title to anything in the X1 catalog.

He also makes it clear that MP titles are important. Today Nintendo launched, again less than 2 months after Switch release, an MP-focused title that has a higher metacritic (and more broad appeal) than any X1 exclusive MP title.

Let that sink in. Nintendo, with underpowered hardware, has released in two months both an SP and MP title that have more system-seller capability than any X1 exclusive.

If we turn to PS4 SP, I'd argue that in 2017 alone PS4 has offered more elite quality SP titles than X1 has to date, in Horizon, Nier and Persona 5. Add to that previous releases like Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne to just name two. It's not a good look.

I'm hoping Crackdown 3 looks good and makes me want to buy a Scorpio. But right now I've had multiple opportunities to re-buy an X1 at $200 and haven't done it. Because I can't think of any exclusive games that I have to have it for. What are they going to reveal that will change that, when it's almost May and they don't feel comfortable talking yet about anything upcoming?

It's so obvious. This is another good example:

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/858069236832321536

If you want to disprove the idea that you're done focusing on story-based SP games you don't answer with "That's not what I said". You answer with "That's not what we're doing". It's pretty straightforward. The former is an empty, meaningless cop out statement disguised as an answer. The latter is a real answer.

Maybe he wants to save any sort of game news for e3?

Monocle

Phil Spencer: Microsoft to Develop Games for Machines Played by Players of Games

Clarifies: Games Will Arrive at Some Point in Future and be "Innovative"

Sjefen

"Hey, I wasn't necessarily hinting at that specific thing you said, but I'd rather not address your concern directly and reassure you that we are actually (also) investing in single player and/or non-multiplayer service games. I'll just make it kinda look like I did, because why use words to say actual things when I can just stay on the fence spouting vague, ambiguous shit?"

this is spot on, good post

David___

Banned
We've heard this so many times. When is Microsoft actually going to deliver this time?
This time we mean it tm. I mean, they can show CGI trailers of games that are barely in production, people will champion them, saying "See, MS does listen" then, when the end consumer has nothing of value in their hand people will defend it. It's like what Spencer does in these interviews/ Tweets but on a much larger scale.

All he has to say is:

As you'll see during E3, we have some exciting single player story-driven games in the pipeline.

OR

Don't worry. We know the importance of SP games. Stay tuned for some exciting announcements in the months ahead.

Neither of those statements are game announcements or spoil anything. But they at least acknowledge a focus on SP games.

“The audience for those big story-driven games... I won’t say it isn’t as large, but they’re not as consistent. You’ll have things like Zelda or Horizon Zero Dawn that’ll come out, and they’ll do really well, but they don’t have the same impact that they used to have, because the big service-based games are capturing such a large amount of the audience. Sony’s first-party studios do a lot of these games, and they’re good at them, but outside of that, it’s difficult – they’re become more rare; it’s a difficult business decision for those teams, you’re fighting into more headwind."

Doesn't sound like MS will be committing to many big single player games from the sound of that, which for me is disappointing but also makes my decision to stick with Sony and Nintendo an easy choice, as I'm more of a single player gamer.

I'm just going to say this.

It's not even people in this thread, but I'm seeing it permeate to the consumer base at large. People are tired of Phil simply "talking" about it.

It's time for him and MS to actually be about it.

From the updates and services. MS has been top notch. No debates there. But from the games output. The perception from the general public is starting to be about them being way behind PS and now Nintendo.

From a first party standpoint. Nintendo is strong this year. They will ensure the first year of their console is strong based on the games coming out. And we don't even need to talk about the exclusive games that have come out or will be coming out for Playstation. Nintendo and Sony have made themselves the conversation.

MS needs to be about games. They cancelled Scalebound and that just led to people reinforcing their believe that MS isn't about investing in new IP but would rather double down on their key franchises and take the occasional game on "games as a service" model.

Straight up. No one outside of this forum or any enthusiast site is talking about Scorpio. On twitter I follow some people that prefer Xbox and their platform of choice. None of them are talking about Scorpio of if they'll buy one.

They talked about it when info was revealed, and will no doubt will talk about it when E3 rolls around. But it's not something they are gung ho about at all.

MS needs to invest in games and right now it's hard to see them even doing that. Even if they are we won't see much about it this year at all. It's too little too late.

Edge said this week in Continue/ Quit

Continue: Scorpio - Microsoft's new console is an absolute monster
Quit: Sting in the Tail - If it's going to catch PS4 it'll need more than Halo

and GamesTM are saying similar

Two of the biggest (UK) gaming magazines asking the same questions, and they have more insider knowledge than we'll ever have.

and yet not a single hint and it's six weeks away. He should be leaking everything[/I,] right now, that they have for the next two or three years. It's shit or bust so they should be going for it - if they have it - otherwise why should people invest?

All he has to say is:

As you'll see during E3, we have some exciting single player story-driven games in the pipeline.

OR

Don't worry. We know the importance of SP games. Stay tuned for some exciting announcements in the months ahead.

Neither of those statements are game announcements or spoil anything. But they at least acknowledge a focus on SP games.

"Shannon Loftis and I are thinking a lot about, well, could we put story-based games into the Xbox Game Pass business model because you have a subscription going? It would mean you wouldn’t have to deliver the whole game in one month; you could develop and deliver the game as it goes.”

Which in Phil speak means yes, we are developing a story-driven SP game(s) with a similar model to Hitman/Telltale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom