• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Game looks beautiful in 1080p.

Game looks beautiful on the handheld screen.

I can't decide which I would rather play on, lol. Good thing I can do both.

KingBroly

Banned
GP feels so easy now in 150cc. Either they tweaked it or skill went up from the Wii u days. It doesn't feel like AI rubber bands as much and doesn't throw an avalanche of items at you. Placebo effect probably.

They adjusted the item balance and the difficulty.

150cc wasn't hard for me on Wii U

Mirror Mode is where it got tough

200cc is Murderous and requires damn near perfect knowledge of the tracks and where not to boost (boost off a ramp = you're in a wall or a hole).

Durden77

Oh my god when that pink boost kicks in, that is so hype to me.

After spending about 5 hours with buds playing this, the best kart racer out there just got better as far as I can tell. I love the changes. Fuck yes.

Spinifex

Holy shit what a game. I haven't played Mario Kart since Mario Kart DS and this is utterly sublime. I never played Zelda much in handheld mode but I've had maybe a 50/50 split so far between portable mode and on the TV, and it's brilliant both ways.

Like, it just feels so good, why does it feel so good? I loved Sonic Racing Transformed but this is on a whole other level, christ.

daffy

Banned
i dont understand how I'm dominating in random online play but as soon as i enter the gaf room I'm getting sweeped to the back. there's no in between.. lull

good games gaf

forrest

formerly nacire
Not sure if its been addressed, but when I click the discord server link in the OP, it takes me to a single post by Roo, with no actual server info in it. Doesn't open anything in Discord either.

FinalAres

Not quite like those platforms. On those you can deactivate through a website, no need to have your console on hand. With the Switch, if your console is stolen or breaks down the only way to get your purchases back is to call Nintendo so they can deactivate them from that console. Very similar to 3DS/Wii U in this scenario. Also why I would not recommend buying a console from outside of your home region.
ARE you kidding?? I assumed it was just like every other modern online service where I could download and play to any console I was logged in to. If that really is the case, why the hell are Nintendo still so bad at online?

Cartho

First ever Mario Kart apart from playing 7 on a friend's 3DS and first kart racer since renting CTR when I was like 9 years old.

Wow. This is the most fun I've had in ages. It feels so slick, so smooth and, now I'm gradually learning how the drift and boost mechanics work, just flat out brilliant as a racing game.

Bowser on a bike seems fun so far, gradually working my way through the 50cc GPs to learn how everything works. Seriously though GAF, I'm in love. The music, the colours, dat 60 FPS feel, the weapons - it's just awesome.

Just spent the last hour and a half in bed with my Switch in tabletop mode and the joycons detached in each hand. This is gaming evolved.

Roo

Not sure if its been addressed, but when I click the discord server link in the OP, it takes me to a single post by Roo, with no actual server info in it. Doesn't open anything in Discord either.

you have to quote that single post. The Discord link is hidden behind email tags under "HERE:"

As I said, the OT kept breaking the link for some stupid reason so it had to be placed in a separate post.

Roo

And I read Frantic items didn't really change things much, so I guess we can just stick to normal items then?

From what I read, yeah, frantic and normal items seem to be pretty similar.
The change doesn't seem to be as noticeable as the Wii U version anyway so yeah we can stick to normal items for the time being.

PrimeX

Didn't have much read on this Deluxe version, so...can I join a deluxe online match with my wiiu version? Suppose not but I have to ask.

Caelus

Anyone care to report on their experience using single Joy-con for multiplayer? The other player will be a family member so they won't be too picky, I just want to know how comfortable it may be.

From what I read, yeah, frantic and normal items seem to be pretty similar.
The change doesn't seem to be as noticeable as the Wii U version anyway so yeah we can stick to normal items for the time being.

On Bob-Omb battle at least every item box is a double box (unlike the normal mode in which they all transform into doubles by the end), so it did change quite a bit, it was a lot more hectic lol

I wish Nintendo gave rewards for playing online. So you have even more reason to keep playing. Like at 2000, 5000, 10000 rating you get something cool.

Why doesnt Nintendo do that?

ryushe

ARE you kidding?? I assumed it was just like every other modern online service where I could download and play to any console I was logged in to. If that really is the case, why the hell are Nintendo still so bad at online?
Yeah, I'm actually surprised this is the case. I gotta be more weary about buying games from other regions digitally from now on...

Roo

On Bob-Omb battle at least every item box is a double box (unlike the normal mode in which they all transform into doubles by the end), so it did change quite a bit, it was a lot more hectic lol

I didn't know that about bob-omb blast :O
That's actually pretty cool.
The tournament codes in the OP don't seem to work, or am I doing something wrong? Says no tournament with such code exists.

Considering there have been people playing in those tournaments for the past 24 hours, yes, you're doing something wrong :p

Top Bottom