• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 unveil event will have PC and PS4 versions, allow lots of YouTuber gameplay

Dynasty8

Destiny 2 has significantly larger environments with towns / outposts, and also they improved the rendering / graphics engine.

It's not gonna be 60fps (except on PC of course)

Really hope that bolded part is true.

Funnest part for me was exploring the awesome universe of Destiny. Discovering the loot cave, riding sparrows with friends, cool hidden chests/dead ghosts, participating in public events, doing stupid shit like dancing with and meeting other guardians...just messing around in general. I loved the world design, but my main gripe was that it was too small and the patrol missions SUCKED.

Everyone keeps arguing about 30 fps vs 60 fps... the main thing I want is a gigantic massive world to explore with friends with the near perfect Destiny gameplay.

Funnest part for me was exploring the awesome universe of Destiny. Discovering the loot cave, riding sparrows with friends, cool hidden chests/dead ghosts, participating in public events, doing stupid shit like dancing with and meeting other guardians...just messing around in general. I loved the world design, but my main gripe was that it was too small and the patrol missions SUCKED.

Everyone keeps arguing about 30 fps vs 60 fps... the main thing I want is a gigantic massive world to explore with friends with the near perfect Destiny gameplay.

It is. Everything else from Shinobi's leak for it a while back has come true so I see no reason that part wouldn't be.

For example apparently one of the zones on Saturn alone is as big as every planet from the base game of Destiny 1 combined

I'm not willing to give up visuals on the game for 60fps. I saw what halo looked like at 60fps, you have to give up a lot for that, I did not like the way that game looked at all. On consoles I rather they just keep it at 30 and keep everything else just looking amazing.

Dynasty8

It is. Everything else from Shinobi's leak for it a while back has come true so I see no reason that part wouldn't be.

For example apparently one of the zones on Saturn alone is as big as every planet from the base game of Destiny 1 combined

I remember reading back in September about "play in destinations" and towns and hubs...but I don't remember reading significantly larger.

Either way, that will make me lose my mind if true...destiny has been a pretty special game for me. Over 30 years gaming and most games haven't been able to deliver that same awesome social aspect feel and flawless gunplay. Really hope D2 delivers.

As long as Saturn is not a boring brown color. Saturn needs to have some color on it.

I want to see towns like this
wowscrnshot_052310_015358.jpg

I want to walk in and be like "whaaaaaat the hell is this?!?!"
I want to see people on roofs and in trees and climbing in weird spots while moonwalking

And if I could, get some emotes with props
When I sweep a broom, eh ya know, give me a broom

Give me a homeless guy type sign emote that says LFG

Maybe if I flip a coin, let me flip a coin.

Sayad

I'm not willing to give up visuals on the game for 60fps. I saw what halo looked like at 60fps, you have to give up a lot for that, I did not like the way that game looked at all. On consoles I rather they just keep it at 30 and keep everything else just looking amazing.
You shouldn't have to, there are much better looking games running 60fps. No 60 on consoles means I'm picking up the PC version.

I remember reading back in September about "play in destinations" and towns and hubs...but I don't remember reading significantly larger.

Either way, that will make me lose my mind if true...destiny has been a pretty special game for me. Over 30 years gaming and most games haven't been able to deliver that same awesome social aspect feel and flawless gunplay. Really hope D2 delivers.

It's directly from Shinobi's original leak

Saturn is a playspace is set to be bigger than all of the playspaces currently implemented in the game combined. This is in large part of the scale of playspaces being redesigned, so it'll be both bigger & denser with activities.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=218333036

Destiny 2 is gonna blow some people's socks off imo

Yup, this is one of the things im loving about Mass Effect Andromeda atm.
It absolutely nailed what I was originally expecting from outdoor exploration in Destiny(a bit more expanded maybe)
However I did appreciate the more intricate indoor stuff from Destiny.

Mass Effect's worlds would be amazing if it had the Destiny style drop in and out randoms.

Honestly i'd be happy if Destiny did something similar, I don't mind if the map is mainly sparse.
A few key locations*, a few outposts and well hidden treasure all around.

*I don't mind the key locations being a separate load as well
Like area outside Old Russia->load-> Old Russia as it was in 1.

Exploring "alleyways" in the first lost interest quickly.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

This is another reason why I keep going back and forth on what I think they'll target. Destiny isn't the nicest looking game out there, the art direction is what makes its visual design. Add in PBR, some higher quality assets, and a few other tweaks would allow for a jump in visual quality without overreaching what the game would need in order to hit a higher framerate.

I could easily see it going either way.

Midas

Does anyone think that the YTs have a little too much influence in the game?

I remember when Sleeper quest was available, it really didn't take much effort to earn. People were disappointed, especially the vocal YTs. In response, it seemed Bungie went the complete opposite direction with Outbreak Prime. This quest required something off the actual Bungie website to determine where to stand; turn on all in-game monitors; understand binary to tell people where exactly to stand, then finish the raid; then the best part figure out a number that three people in your party could all meet to unlock the little stupid...

fuck it, it was needlessly complicated.

Anyway, that was my rant.

That's what I love with OP quest. Most of the exotics are sadly given to you without the need to do any work/grind. Which is a huge letdown. You never get the feeling of accomplishment anymore.

Yeah, that alone should tell everyone it's not going to be 60 FPS on consoles unless it looks identical to Destiny 1.

And I'm sorry but fuck that. I want this game to be pretty as hell.

It's going to see substantial visual / engine tools improvements

Major changes to the engine are occurring. Their render tech has gone through some major iteration thanks in large part to getting to approach it without having last-gen as a limit.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That's what I love with OP quest. Most of the exotics are sadly given to you without the need to do any work/grind. Which is a huge letdown. You never get the feeling of accomplishment anymore.

It's too far in the other direction. I want the exotic quests to be something that I can figure out and do in game, not having to look up a ton of other people's ideas on how to complete it.

Midas

I do hope it remains straight forward with armor and weapons. That's what made it fun it was pick up and play. Hoping they do not over complicate it like what happened to The Division. Way to complication for it's own good. That pic a few posts above seems overwhelming.

I fully agree. The approach in Destiny is much better with perks that make you reload faster etc than the one in Division where so much are tied to an armor piece.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I do wonder, is Mercury going to be so big that's the only new planet in the game? I'm still hoping for multiple planets.

Midas

It's too far in the other direction. I want the exotic quests to be something that I can figure out and do in game, not having to look up a ton of other people's ideas on how to complete it.

I get what you're saying, but look at the Gjallarhorn and Khvostov quests for example, they're way to simple. I'm probably in the minority but I want the exotics to be hard to get, the best approach so far is the Black Spindle quest, a hidden mission which was actually challenging. It's one of the few times after vanilla Destiny where an exotic actually feels special as well.

Dynasty8

I get what you're saying, but look at the Gjallarhorn and Khvostov quests for example, they're way to simple. I'm probably in the minority but I want the exotics to be hard to get, the best approach so far is the Black Spindle quest, a hidden mission which was actually challenging. It's one of the few times after vanilla Destiny where an exotic actually feels special as well.

100% agree with you. Getting the black spindle was challenging and fun.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Do we know if it'll be in the game at release? Maybe it's a part of the Osiris expansion?

Do we know if what will be in the game at release? Mercury?

The entire game is likely based around Mercury.

Edit: Ignore me. I'm tried. I've been meaning to say Saturn this whole time.

lt519

I have a feeling the release of this game is going to be unlike anything we've ever seen before. I'm gonna miss launch weekend which pains me, but I'm so ready to get back into Destiny and have fun with DGAF and my IRL crew. There really is just nothing else like it out there.

Midas

:lol

It's an interesting thought. The way things have been talked about so far doesn't seem to indicate travel to planets outside of our solar system. My guess is that Saturn is the new planet, maybe a bit of Mercury to tease you for the Osiris expansion and new places to explore on planets already visited by us.

Compsiox

Banned
I feel like all of Activisions games have been pretty well optimized on PC so I'm hopeful that this will too but you never know.

I don't think Shinobi meant one or a collection of mega-zones solely on Saturn, but that they reworked the whole idea of playable zones from the ground up for Destiny 2. The Saturn zone was just an example of the design difference between D2 versus D1.

Renekton

As long as Saturn is not a boring brown color. Saturn needs to have some color on it.

I want to see towns like this
https://viktdk.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/wowscrnshot_052310_015358.jpg

I want to walk in and be like "whaaaaaat the hell is this?!?!"
I want to see people on roofs and in trees and climbing in weird spots while moonwalking

And if I could, get some emotes with props
When I sweep a broom, eh ya know, give me a broom

Give me a homeless guy type sign emote that says LFG

Maybe if I flip a coin, let me flip a coin.
Suuuuure, once WoW updates to current-gen graphics, 50k-poly character models and big environment complexity, we'll see how many PCs will break down.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Suuuuure, once WoW updates to current-gen graphics, 50k-poly character models and big environment complexity, we'll see how many PCs will break down.
If you also give it a new engine because the current one is running on everything but it's not running great.

Pjsprojects

Now the inevitable question of PC vs PS4. My head says PC, it's where I am spending most of my gaming time lately and I have a very good PC. But my Destiny 1 buddies are purely console players and will not step up to building a gaming PC no matter how much I beg and plead. And at the end of the day a game like Destiny is so much better when played with friends.

Same for me,pre ordered on PC just to see what its like,couple of mates on PS4 but loads of Destiny buddies on Xbox.
Answer is play where your mates are so I'm ordering it on X1

BlackJimmy

Neo Member
Are Destiny 2 players going to be expected to rebuy the whole game every time they release a new expansion pack? Why was their more pushback on that with the original?

Anyone else afraid that the platforming sections are going to be hell on kb+m? Maybe I just need to git gud... lol

It's never been an issue before. Mouse and keyboard is great for movement if you're used to your sensitivity and don't use silly things like mouse accel or 1 billion dpi sniper button mice.

geordiemp

2 words is all that needs to be said about destiny

Dedicated servers

If PVP lag is gone, destiny will also retain more PVP players.

BlackJimmy

Neo Member
What do you mean? Rebuy the whole game?
In me and my friends experience, you can't just buy the latest expansion on it's own.
Starting with The Taken King, they started releasing a "Complete Collection" every time a new expansion came out at £50. If you're just jumping in, it's a great deal, but people who jumped in early get screwed over because they're expected to buy everything again.

They made Taken King available eventually, so presumably it's a timed thing, which would be fine if you didn't get locked out of playlists for not being up to date. Rise of Iron still has "Not sold separately" on the Xbox Marketplace.

Is this not what everybody had to deal with?

mcrommert

Banned
In me and my friends experience, you can't just buy the latest expansion on it's own.
Starting with The Taken King, they started releasing a "Complete Collection" every time a new expansion came out at £50. If you're just jumping in, it's a great deal, but people who jumped in early get screwed over because they're expected to buy everything again.

They made Taken King available eventually, so presumably it's a timed thing, which would be fine if you didn't get locked out of playlists for not being up to date. Rise of Iron still has "Not sold separately" on the Xbox Marketplace.

Is this not what everybody had to deal with?

That was just you man

mcrommert

Banned
No 60fps console ? Why? What's going on ??

If Scorpio version isn't 60 fps at least in crucible I'm out... After all these great 60fps shooters coming out... I can go back to this nonsense just because someone at bungie still thinks we are in last gen

alt27

If Scorpio version isn't 60 fps at least in crucible I'm out... After all these great 60fps shooters coming out... I can go back to this nonsense just because someone at bungie still thinks we are in last gen

Scorpio or pro versions cannot be different frame rate from base machines . They don't have different servers .

I think people crying about console not being at 60 underestimate the Dev team . This game is not going to be huge either , it's activision . And it's like 80 gbs , 60 is a good shout

Kayant

Can someone please explain where the thought process of console manufacturer co marketing deal = "Lead platform" or "Game will be gimped on other platforms" comes from? I just don't understand the angle.

You only need to look at past releases to see this thinking isn't true i.e look at Ubisoft AC, WD both had co marketing with Sony yet weren't gimped in fact both were also had marketing deals with Nvidia. Like what genuine example/s is there of a game being gimped specifically because of a marketing deal and not dev choice in how they want to target platforms.
That is already confirmed, no? PS4 will have a year of exclusive Strike, Map, Weapon and Gears.
In what world is that a confirmation? Content being segmented or delayed as nothing to do with game's performance​/platform features. I mean retailers get exclusive in-game pieces all the time yet no one platform has their features or capability gimped.

Top Bottom