• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Potential Project Scorpio Buyers: Do you care about VR support?

VR hype was unavoidable in 2016, so it came as no surprise that when Microsoft announced it would release the "most powerful console ever" at E3 2016, the pitch was that all that power would drive "4K gaming and high-end VR". The announcement video even had Todd Howard talking up Fallout 4 VR.

Months later, Microsoft removed all mention of VR on Scorpio from its websites and marketing. Investment in VR projects is apparently on the decline. Microsoft spokespeople in 2017 have said “Our plan is to bring mixed reality content to the Xbox One family of devices, including Project Scorpio, in 2018". So the Scorpio will probably support VR in some form eventually, just not at launch.

So, do you care if Project Scorpio supports VR? Does this feature affect your purchase decision at all? Would you be excited for Microsoft developed VR games/modes? If in the end the Scorpio does not end up supporting VR, would you be upset?

Personally, I expect to buy the Scorpio at launch, but VR is currently a non-factor to me. Sensory depriving headsets don't fit into my homelife, but the 4K aspects of the system do appeal to me. If Microsoft comes out at E3 2017 and announces a bunch of first-party VR titles, I'll be unhappy that those resources didn't go elsewhere.

bluexy

I think it'd be a great feature to list among others, but personally no. Then again, I'm already invested in PC VR. But, still, what I care most about is having an Xbox that delivers an exceptional 1080p experience and lets me experiment into 4K if I decide to. VR isn't important in that equation at all.

Xando

Didn't care on PlayStation. Didn't care on PC and won't care on Scorpio.

VR is a huge waste of everyones time imo. Just like Kinect.

Zeta Oni

Nope, was never a reason I was getting one even when it was being marketed.

Heck, I don't even own a 4K TV and I'm picking one up.

Lee

I have the space for it with my current set-up, but no real desire to play VR games. Granted I've never tried them. Still, a no from me as a likely Scorpio buyer.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Not at all. VR is like 3D movies to me. Just a pointless fad.

djnewwest

Banned
Absolutely! I've heard so much about how amazing Oculus is, cant wait to see it for myself.

Also I want netflix in VR, watching movies in VR is apparently unreal.

Caayn

I cared enough about PSVR to sell it within 2 months after purchasing it.

The tech is too gimmicky for me at the moment (display quality and tracking issues) and the space requirements for the "better" headsets is something that I'm not willing to accommodate for.

So no. I don't care about VR at all.

JaggedSac

I did the climbing thing from Crytek at a BestBuy on a Rift and I felt sick for hours afterwards. I am done with VR for a while.

t hicks

Banned
Nope, it's just not there for me right now (sold my PSVR after a couple of weeks because the tracking was just so bad in my environment)

leeh

Nah. Used both PSVR and the Oculus and I just don't see it as anything other than a super cool tech demo.

Probably alone in this, but it's my make-or-break feature. If Microsoft can sell me a box that does Rift-quality VR for sub-$550, I'm onboard. (Provided the Oculus lineup of content comes along with it)

I have zero interest in 4K, and all of the improvements for 1080p players seem trivial. But VR would absolutely sell one to me.

Alx

VR (or AR) is probably the main reason that could make me buy a Scorpio. I don't really care about prettier games so I'm fine with the base console, but if Scorpio brings new features to the table then things are different.

No, unless they do some sort of relaunch for VR as a whole I already see it just being very niche or just dropped liek every other cool piece of technology in the past. Kinect, Wiimote, PS Move etc.

MS can't even back their own thing, Kinect, then yeah I don't want them backing VR.

Yes, I have a rift so it would be great if they pull a genie out of a bottle and support it. Even if the oculus store doesn't come across.

Nope. I have PSVR so I don't need that.
Microsoft can barely keep their software pipeline supplied with their limited studios, much less finance VR AAA titles which Sony is currently struggling with.

Spasm

Nope, until the headsets are wireless I have no intention of buying into VR.
Not only this, but the software needs to be more compelling. I was this -> <- close to buying PSVR for RE7, but decided not to when I looked around for more HQ experiences and not seeing much. Even on PC where VR is a lot more mature, there isn't really much that interests me.

While I'm not exactly that interested in buying a Scorpio (I have a good gaming PC) but I hope MS deliver a decent VR option for the system though.

I've played on the Vive at a friends and I have PSVR and really love VR, it's just a totally next level experience with the immersion it brings and I want VR to do well, so the more VR options out there, the better.

Yes, but no. I want everything to support it so VR can move forward. But until there is more attractive software and less cumbersome hardware I'm not planning to jump in myself. My friends all have Vives and I'm honestly VR'd out with what is available.

Eventual VR support is an added benefit if they ever decide to include it. I dont have any HMD's at the moment so my purchasing decision isn't based on support or non-support. I will buy in on merit of traditional gaming experiences alone.

D3VI0US

Not at all and as someone who got motion sick after a 30 min session with the Vive I probably won't be long term at least until the tech gets better. I'm more interested in AR cause it's less isolating. I'd feel like an asshole sitting on my couch next to my gf playing VR on my Scorpio but if I had something like a Hololens not as much.

As I already have VR for PC, no. Otherwise it would definitely be a selling point for me. VR can provide experiences you just can't get with flat screens.

Planet

Microsoft hasn't shown anything VR yet at all. How do you expect any form of interest? Even the most daring theoretical minds don't have a lot to base their fantasies on.

If you ask the same question after it is actually well demonstrated, better yet available, you will get a completely different answer.

Especially because in the current state of affairs, this kind of topic headlines will attract those "VR is dead" clowns like a black hole.

Top Bottom