• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Saitama being absent for most of the arc until showing up last minute and taking care of things? That happens in every major arc, but this is the first time it felt dragged out. OPM Manga might as well be a standard shonen with great art right now. It's been a while since I read it, but I never felt like the MA and Garo stuff in the webcomic was dragged out at all. It also helped that the Garo arc focused on, you know, Garo. An actual interesting character and not these lame ass tournament characters.

There was a point where I was anticipating reading every new update of the manga, but now I just kinda wait until Viz Jump dumps a bunch of chapters. Every time I read it I just want them to go back to the Garo stuff already. It's weird since the beginning of this arc was following the webcomic pretty faithfully until it split off to do it's own thing. And that wasn't a bad thing at all at first. The stuff with Metal Bat was a great addition that I thought added a lot to the arc. Everything after has been a chore though.

I figured the Garou arc would get a similar reaction as it takes the shonen stuff far more seriously in general and Saitama is absent for large parts of the largest arc by and far. A lot of awesome stuff happens but the S Class heroes and Monster Associations show for a good portion of it.

Saitama being absent for most of the arc until showing up last minute and taking care of things? That happens in every major arc, but this is the first time it felt dragged out. OPM Manga might as well be a standard shonen with great art right now. It's been a while since I read it, but I never felt like the MA and Garo stuff in the webcomic was dragged out at all. It also helped that the Garo arc focused on, you know, Garo. An actual interesting character and not these lame ass tournament characters.

There was a point where I was anticipating reading every new update of the manga, but now I just kinda wait until Viz Jump dumps a bunch of chapters. Every time I read it I just want them to go back to the Garo stuff already. It's weird since the beginning of this arc was following the webcomic pretty faithfully until it split off to do it's own thing. And that wasn't a bad thing at all at first. The stuff with Metal Bat was a great addition that I thought added a lot to the arc. Everything after has been a chore though.

I'm glad people are coming over to my side of the fence, hopefully by the end of its run everyone will realize opm was a mediocre series carried by Murata's art only.

weshes195

One Punch Man

Is this even still about Murata...It am sure it will work better reading it continuously, but the constant lack of Saitama makes this series more tedioius than One's version (at least on a weekly basis). They are dragging this out too much...We get to see more of these side character than we have seen of Saitama in the last ten episodes....

Yeah, I recommend reading the manga in breaks. I stopped reading it around where the were still in the preliminaries.

When you do that you can actually take in the hilarious writing, awesome fights, and amazing artwork. For example, I thought this latest chapter was awesome because I wasn't thinking about Saitama because we only saw him not too long ago.

Unfortunately that doesn't work when you are up to date and reading it when it comes out. But it is the price we pay for some of the best art in manga (and some great writing!).

Funny enough, whenever One Punch Man is finished I believe it will be looked back even better as it REALLY does flow amazingly if you are able to read the whole thing. It just sucks that the best manga always takes a long time to be made...

Agreed. Garou is arc is much more interesting than this focus on the Monster association...The three eyed demon has already outstayed his welcome in my opinion. He needs to be offed in the next chapter...

Nordicus

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch553

What a bunch of bullies.
Y8YFMG8.jpg
Pw2oRJb.jpg
RpghjEd.jpg

It is to be expected...

cPAWDHk.gif

Zweizer

Banned
Beastars ch1-9 by Itagaki Paru

Ah, high school. The ever-classic fiction staple, where spirited romance, hilarious pranks and unforgettable adventures happen. This time though, a murder happened, putting everyone on edge, especially as a big stage play is upcoming, and worse of all the victim was one of the lead actors. Oh, and of course, the victim was an herbivore, and the killer a carnivore.

Welcome to a world where live anthropomorphized animals of all kinds, where a precarious coexistence is challenged every day by the divide between carnivores and herbivores.

Beastars tells the story of Legosi, a gray wolf, who despite his frightening appearance and power, is relatively meek and tries his best to be helpful and not stand out. As a consequence of the murder however, he's forced to interact with his more different -and vulnerable- classmates, even as he struggles his darker desires.

What stands out immediately is the strength of the character design, and by extension, how well thought-out the setting is. The author went to great lengths to portray the more unique traits of every animal, as well as the various accomodations that are necessary for them, the various interactions not only between carnivores and herbivores (which are as tense as you'd expect), but also between the various orders and families, yet ultimately, made an impressive job at humanizing them at the same time, giving them the same kind of worries you'd expect from a teenager their age (on top of the food chain divide).

Not a lot of chapters have been translated so far, but so far Beastars has definitely been impressive in how the cast and setting has been set up, and I highly recommend anyone to read it.

Thanks Oni for sharing it with us!

Black Butler Ch127: A man among men, and an exemplary butler.
Part of me does hope though that Sebby uses his demon power to bring him back to life. I can wish right. Right!?

It wasn't. The Murata manga has completely turned into the very thing ONE was making fun of and it's unbelievable how more people don't see this. All they see is the cool art and that's all that matters. I pretty much stopped reading it early in the random tournament

Kieli

To the Immortal You:

It's interesting how the author prevents inertia by introducing the hooded man. It's jarring, but contributes to the tension that pervades the idyllic moments. I can't tell what the end-game for this manga is. What is the purpose of creating this artificial life? Who are these higher entities? Why does Immo need an impetus?

Argh, too many questions.

HStallion

I think people forget that ONE's webcomic version of OPM also went full shonen in the Garou arc. Murata's just has more padding and seems to be trying to give the S Class a bit more personality and backstory this time around which I can't fault them for as most of them are barely even one dimensional in the webcomic. I'm mixed on it myself but there have been some pretty cool moments like Genos getting his time to shine for a bit juxtaposed against the matches going on in the tournament.

I think people forget that ONE's webcomic version of OPM also went full shonen in the Garou arc. Murata's just has more padding and seems to be trying to give the S Class a bit more personality and backstory this time around which I can't fault them for as most of them are barely even one dimensional in the webcomic. I'm mixed on it myself but there have been some pretty cool moments like Genos getting his time to shine for a bit juxtaposed against the matches going on in the tournament.

Eh, I wouldn't say it went full shonen. Yeah, it was way more fight oriented and less subversive, but there was very little padding or filler. It moved at fairly brisk pace

Jintor

it was kind of like the mob psycho 100 ending bit but mob psycho had more emotional stuff whereas OPM was mainly just punching

HStallion

Eh, I wouldn't say it went full shonen. Yeah, it was way more fight oriented and less subversive, but there was very little padding or filler. It moved at fairly brisk pace

I actually think the Garou and Monster Association stuff could play better since its actually built up this time. That shit just kind of comes out of nowhere in the webcomic and suddenly we're supposed to be following the S Class heroes through all this stuff. Even all the stuff with Suiryu and the other martial artists will probably be played off of Garou and his own quest to become strong.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi 30

That window is... uh... a window into a future without conflict, where human and demons can coexist peacefully and the princess can sleep soundly. Yeah, that sounds plausible.

Love Live - School Idol Days S 3 (SFW doujin)
Alright, perhaps the 'destroy them psychologically by committing suicide in front of them' approach deserves more credit than I initially gave it. I don't care much for Chika, so I choose to believe that she also lost her sanity over time and similarly ended up as a bloody splat on the pavement. Now do this again, except with better characters.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch554

He's either gonna get tougher, or die trying.

Keijo ch141-143

Hm, yeah, I can see how this is headed towards the finale. I can only hope it'll have a satisfactory conclusion.

Nozomi is too broken though. Plz nerf.

Sisters can be such a pain in the ass.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi ch30

The Princess is going to bring back peace, one victim at a time.

(Scissor Demon is an appropriate nickname.)

Yuri Mekuru Oshigoto ch11

Being a flight attendant is not easy. Good thing at least one of the two has her head firm on her shoulders.

An admirable goal.

Kinghts & Magic Ch1-17: Another Isekai I hear you cry. But hey, while it's dumb, nothing original, and goes around ticking trope boxes, this is quite a fun action manga, doing a great job of filling the void I have (Due to Break Blades not having anyone scanlating it.). If you like mechs and other Isekai rubbish give it a quick read.

Zweizer

Banned
Kingdom ch515

They have 3 days, huh? That's pretty tight, especially if they want to avoid confronting Riboku directly.

Mitsuboshi Colors ch23

too bad they're a bit busy this time. It happens!

Hungry Marie ch9

Huh, I wonder what's the point of swapping around then. Can't Marie just stick to her body?

Mahou Shoujo Tokushuusen Asuka 11

Figures that's how an American magical girl would be portrayed. I'm not sure what to think about the M5 member turned terrorist. The build-up makes me feel like it should be someone unexpected, which is why my brain's resisting Mia narrowing it down to those two (current) no-names. But assuming all the other squad members were killed at the start, there aren't really any other options. Aside from Kurumi I guess, but she was present when the empress attacked a few chapters back. Eh, maybe I'm overthinking it

Shouta

I just found out the Violinist of Hameln got another sequel manga but this time it's one that involves the cast of the original series instead of a fast forward into the future/next generation like VoH: Nutcracker was. I need to read this...

Shouta

Are there any manga artist on patreon or equivalent service?

Funny that you ask that. Michiaki Watanabe, the author of the manga I mentioned just above you, actually has a "fanclub" run through his website. It's 20 bucks a year to support him and subscribe. He gives you access to his Hameln titles to read digitally through the website and his current title is published there instead of standard mags, I think. He gets them collected into tankoubans as well for folks that want to pick up physical copies. Each chapter is 40-ish pages and published monthly like a standard run. I just found out about it a few hours ago.

I can only assume that he either didn't want to or couldn't work with the standard publishing companies after what happened with his last title. He likely moved to self-publishing like this as a form of income and to be able to write manga like he wants.

Edit:

Prison School 251 (RAW)

HANA! You did it. =O Finally, something interesting happening that washes the bad taste of the cavalry battle out of my mouth.

I've been reading a lot of manhua lately but they just kinda blend together. It's always cultivation this, cultivation that, martial arts levels and ranks yadda yadda, it's like reading bland isekai that goes on and on about its RPG elements.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch555

Don't become like Jun.

Somali and the Forest Spirit ch10

Her stay among humans certainly was memorable.

Dansan Joshi ch35

Aw, poor Tsuhako.

Catulus Syndrome ch4

These are certainly smart (and protective) cats.

Don't cross the cat mafia.

Ascheroth

I've been reading a lot of manhua lately but they just kinda blend together. It's always cultivation this, cultivation that, martial arts levels and ranks yadda yadda, it's like reading bland isekai that goes on and on about its RPG elements.
Gotta stop reading xianxia/xianhuan types. It's like everything: The first one is super interesting and different and fresh, and then you read more and realize they're all the same as well, just a different type of same.
Doesn't help that the manhua versions usually are bastardized, kid-friendly versions of the webnovels.

Fbh

Fairy Tail 532 & 533

Oh no! Natsu was fatally wounded. I'm sure there is no way he is going to recover from this. Im so worried !!

Ascheroth

Hungry Marie 9

All the delinquents are now totally going to transfel to the previously all-girls school as well, aren't they?
The switcheroo got kind of confusing though.

We Never Learn 12

New girl is amusing.

Uratarou 32

Wtf happened to Uratarou during this 1 year timeskip.

This week's chapter of PNL, Dr.Stone and RobotxLaserbeam were probably all my favorites of each respective series so far. Robot's author is really good at doing dynamic and cool looking action shot and I loved how Robo finally hit his first wall.

But really MHA is always unbeatable...damn that chapter was good.

Also that girl who leapt through time reference was so random...it was super funny.

Chase17

WSJ
One Piece 863
Amazing chapter. Jimbei and BrooK!

Black Clover 107
Well the king was about as you'd expect. Guess this Royal Knights thing should be a good way to introduce characters from more of the teams. Also I kind of forgot about the characters at the end, they are brothers from the kingdom invasion arc right?

My Hero Academia 135
Good set up.

Robot x Laserbeam 5
Solid chapter. I like the art. Maybe Youzan would have been better as the protagonist lol. Still in explain golf mode. I really hope by the end of this match we have some sort of motivation or goal from Robo.

WNL 6
Better than the last couple of chapters.

Dr. Stone 7
Not really feeling this rush for gun goal. I guess we will have another face off soon.

The Promised Neverland 36

Liked what they did with Ray for this set of chapters. I will miss the panels of Ray looking shook though.

Viz Shonen Jump 4/24/17

One Piece

Goda.jpg

Fucking Jimbei holy shit what an amazing moment

Black Clover

Asta and Yuno disrespecting the king was exactly what I expected and it was hilarious. I'm kind of glad BC is addressing the idea of two leaders something Naruto paid lip service to but didn't actually do anything with until Boruto.

My Hero Academia

Lemillion and Deku had amazing legit shook panels. The series did a fantastic job of tying all these smaller segmented stories together and I'm freaking pumped for when Deku and Lemillion fight Overhaul.

Food Wars/Shokugeki No Soma

Jobber entrance for Soba girl, enjoyed the girl who leapt through time reference. No exploding clothes means she loses.

Dr Stone

I like that our antagonist is smart enough to be a threat. Decent segue chapter with great comedy moments scattered throughout.

Robot X Laserbeam

Some actual drama/conflict for our mc to overcome? Thank god perhaps now this series won't be so fucking boring. Jk still a golf manga.

We Never Learn

Tanned sports girl is really the worst she feels so out of place in most of these chapters, the fact that the series has already apparently introduced waifu 4 within 15 chapters makes me want to stab my eyes out.

The Promised Neverland

Well that was surprisingly really easy, I wonder if Ray was able to hear Norman's voice because of his baby memories :p

Yu gi oh arc v

Well that was a rather anti climatic way for the other 3 personailities to disappear though it did create a cool moment where Yuya has to figure out the duel being dropped into the middle of it.

Fancolors

Uratarou 32
Whoa, so now we had a timeskip, everything is worse now and a new (presumably) important​ character appeared and Uratarou is a mortal with a very different look. It feels like the author dialed back the scale of the conflict, which is probably a wise choice since things were getting too bombastic for a story that isn't ending anytime soon.

I'm digging where this is going, but the fact Chiyo isn't with us anymore is still a bummer.

upandaway

Helck 36-53 omakes

Anne and Piui are such a great combo. Some of the flashback strips were killing me inside but I managed to pull through. It's tough man.

upandaway

Rokurokubi 11

O-oh. Oh... I didn't expect that. I guess she's the only one who freely exposes her neck like that, Noppi kept a low profile too.

BLack Clover 107

Surprised at the actual king, not what I expected.

Im glad we get to see Leo again, embarrassing that Dorksta has to see him that way :(

Promised Neverland

Best conversation ever.

YGO ARC-V 21

I think Yuuya backstory plot may be something familiar with phi brain perhaps, though with duels. Looking forward to that part eventually.

Chase17

So with Kodansha bringing over Ace of Diamond and now Days, does this mean the Baby Steps dream is not dead?
Another anime season would work as well

Welcome to Ballroom 1-3
Enjoying this a lot so far. I always tend to like when a protagonist initially struggles to find what they like before going full force into the topic. Fujita being able to copy by watching and being bad with the lingo is a good way to ease into it. The core 4 characters from this volume all seem interesting.

What a place for volume 1 to end. Will have to get to the next chapter pronto.

Gotta stop reading xianxia/xianhuan types. It's like everything: The first one is super interesting and different and fresh, and then you read more and realize they're all the same as well, just a different type of same.
Doesn't help that the manhua versions usually are bastardized, kid-friendly versions of the webnovels.
Any manhua recommendations then?

Top Bottom