• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

NateDog

Great, I'm in Sweden too, you might've seen that. I know the people at Gamestop but they recommended that I go through Sony's own support first because they would prioritize me before companies as a regular customer. I assume you mean I should contact Sony's customer support? i'll check it out.
GameStop only tell you that because they don't want to deal with it and want to pass it off onto the manufacturer, which isn't something they are supposed to do if general European law is the same as what we have here in Ireland. But it's what they and a lot of companies do. If it's within a year you should definitely be covered under warranty or simply something like a sales of goods and supply act / law. Check your rights and let GameStop know you know of these rights and that they have an obligation to fix it. If in any doubts ask any consumer help / information services you have in Sweden.

Rufus

Can somebody explain to me what dithering actually is?
Dithering is used in computer graphics to create the illusion of "color depth" in images with a limited color palette - a technique also known as color quantization. In a dithered image, colors that are not available in the palette are approximated by a diffusion of colored pixels from within the available palette. The human eye perceives the diffusion as a mixture of the colors within it (see color vision).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither#Digital_photography_and_image_processing

Danji

Dithering is when an artist would put two different color pixels side by side assuming that your tv or vision would blur it to create a color in-between the two.

This was done because color palettes were limited back in the day.

Minamu

GameStop only tell you that because they don't want to deal with it and want to pass it off onto the manufacturer, which isn't something they are supposed to do if general European law is the same as what we have here in Ireland. But it's what they and a lot of companies do. If it's within a year you should definitely be covered under warranty or simply something like a sales of goods and supply act / law. Check your rights and let GameStop know you know of these rights and that they have an obligation to fix it. If in any doubts ask any consumer help / information services you have in Sweden.
I hear you. I did talk to a former classmate of mine who works there though, I doubt she'd lie to me about that. Her point was more that if I go directly to Sony, I'd see faster results. But who knows. I don't have time to contact either party today anyway :/ Thanks for your help, I'm sure it'll solve itself somehow. Either way, I'll probably be without a controller for weeks >_<

If I buy a used Wii console and create a Nintendo account, can I still buy Virtual Console games? There's a dirty cheap Wii console being sold in my town and the Wii U costs three times more, so I'm all in for the Wii experience if I can still buy and download N64 games for it.

If I buy a used Wii console and create a Nintendo account, can I still buy Virtual Console games? There's a dirty cheap Wii console being sold in my town and the Wii U costs three times more, so I'm all in for the Wii experience if I can still buy and download N64 games for it.

You can.

DrKelpo

Banned
A friend bought a PS4. I don't have mine anymore but still have my account with lots and lots of games and also a live PS+ Sub.

What are out options?
I go over there, log into her PS4 with my account as a secondary user and we have access to my library?

Or is it impossible for me to access the games if her account is the primary user?

Kssio_Aug

Who designs Mario and Zelda nowadays? Who are the ones responsible for Mario and Zelda since Nintendo Wii?

I'm always amazed how these franchises can survive for so long and so competently. It seems Nintendo never let these games fall in wrong hands.

Mussah92

Thinking of getting a 2DS .. i like the design alot.

My question is can you play every single 3ds game? Because i know their are some games that are "new 3ds" only..

Thinking of getting a 2DS .. i like the design alot.

My question is can you play every single 3ds game? Because i know their are some games that are "new 3ds" only..

the original 2ds or the new 2ds xl? the original 2ds game play every 3ds game excluding the ones only for the new 3ds/xl/2dsxl

I need help!

I'm trying to find a sci-fi (I think) indie game that came out in the last year. I think...lots of "I think" here. It is indie kind-of graphics, and you are building a new colony on a planet. Kind of top-down view? You can see your people in buildings, and people might attack your colony and kill your peeps. It is driving me crazy what game I'm thinking of!

Rufus

I need help!

I'm trying to find a sci-fi (I think) indie game that came out in the last year. I think...lots of "I think" here. It is indie kind-of graphics, and you are building a new colony on a planet. Kind of top-down view? You can see your people in buildings, and people might attack your colony and kill your peeps. It is driving me crazy what game I'm thinking of!
Rimworld?

etrain911

Just as Ever Oasis is supposed to launch, my AC 3DS XL decided to have a hinge break off. :( Is it worth the $100 to have it fixed or should I buy an N3DS?

Just as Ever Oasis is supposed to launch, my AC 3DS XL decided to have a hinge break off. :( Is it worth the $100 to have it fixed or should I buy an N3DS?

Depends on how much you like the design of that particular 3DS. I don't recall them having a ton of them in stock back when I worked as a CSR at Nintendo, and that was back in December.

ferr

how do *kids these days* afford video games as a hobby? back in my day we had blockbuster where it was $5 or so to rent a game. is that why twitch is doing so well?

Minamu

how do *kids these days* afford video games as a hobby? back in my day we had blockbuster where it was $5 or so to rent a game. is that why twitch is doing so well?
Better family economies overall, probably cheaper games due to inflation these days (I remember Nintendo titles being in the ~120$ range as a kid here in Sweden), a lot more digital sales with great prices, used games is bigger than ever. And probably piracy to some degree I guess :/ Dunno about rentals, that was never a thing here. Don't forget stuff like Humble Bundle, those can have stupidly low prices if you go that route.

Accoun

Buying games, finishing them and quickly trading them in is a big thing for console games. You need a full-price investment as a first step, but otherwise you only pay the difference.

M.D

Anyone had a problem with a Dualshock 4 suddenly not charging when connected to a PC (even tho the PC recognizes it)?

jdstorm

Banned

Cheap Digital sales have AAA games under $10 within a few years of release, this allows you to own more digital games for the cost of 2 weeks rental. Kids can also borrow from friends/play at friends houses while only owning up to 1 or 2 non bargain bin games a year as Birthday and christmas presants.

Subscription services are also great. Things like Xbox Live Gold and PS+ regularly give away multiple AAA games a year for a reasonable price.

Now for my Question
Does anyone else get reminded of Donkey Kong when they play Yakuza games as Kiryu?

I cant help but draw the comparisons when both are often refered to as stupid brutes who solve most of their problems through violence. Plus they both have a great range of the same goofy facial expressions.

Mugen08

What is the deal with e.g. Castlevania Mirror of Fate, Bloodstained, Metroid: Return of Samus and more similar games not having sprite graphics in favour of "2.5D"? Seems "smaller devs" can still pull it off e.g. Axiom Verge, La Mulana, Apotheon etc.

hotcyder

What is the deal with e.g. Castlevania Mirror of Fate, Bloodstained, Metroid: Return of Samus and more similar games not having sprite graphics in favour of "2.5D"? Seems "smaller devs" can still pull it off e.g. Axiom Verge, La Mulana, Apotheon etc.

3D assets are easier to produce - and if you're hiring straight out of games design courses or established studios, it's likely that artists were taught to create 3D characters as that's the industry standard.

Pixel art is kind of a labour of love - and the three examples above are all wildly different in levels of quality (Apotheon isn't even raster Sprite based - it's Vector graphics, like Guacamelee or any of Klei's titles - an art style which I think is a good halfway house as you can transfer skills from both 3D and Sprite art)

Mugen08

3D assets are easier to produce - and if you're hiring straight out of games design courses or established studios, it's likely that artists were taught to create 3D characters as that's the industry standard.

Pixel art is kind of a labour of love - and the three examples above are all wildly different in levels of quality (Apotheon isn't even raster Sprite based - it's Vector graphics, like Guacamelee or any of Klei's titles - an art style which I think is a good halfway house as you can transfer skills from both 3D and Sprite art)

Ok, thx for answer!

Why does it seem like PS4's super slick UI is now only slick for me on the main dashboard? The Store takes forever to load, my friend's list takes forever to load, my trophies take forever to load, starting apps takes forever, the What's New section takes forever to load, etc.

Unless I'm just flying around on the dashboard between tiles and icons everything takes a long time. Is this just my PS4 or have all the updates slowly ruined the crazy speed this used to have?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Why does it seem like PS4's super slick UI is now only slick for me on the main dashboard? The Store takes forever to load, my friend's list takes forever to load, my trophies take forever to load, starting apps takes forever, the What's New section takes forever to load, etc.

Unless I'm just flying around on the dashboard between tiles and icons everything takes a long time. Is this just my PS4 or have all the updates slowly ruined the crazy speed this used to have?
That sounds like you have some network connectivity issue. Everything you mention being slow pulls down data from PSN as you navigate them.

That sounds like you have some network connectivity issue. Everything you mention being slow pulls down data from PSN as you navigate them.

Well my connection hovers between 50-70mbps so that's pretty solid but connection tests on my PS4 typically say I'm getting 15-25mbps and it shows during downloads. The wifi on it seems weak af.

Dantrist

HITMAN (2016) has removed Denuvo, but I don't fully understand what that means.

Does this mean there is an update for all versions which removes it from copies already sold/on the shelves, or does it only mean it's not in the ones being sold on Steam now?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm wondering if I were to buy Hitman Complete 1st Season Steelbook Edition for PS4, will it have Denuvo or not?

Kssio_Aug

Well my connection hovers between 50-70mbps so that's pretty solid but connection tests on my PS4 typically say I'm getting 15-25mbps and it shows during downloads. The wifi on it seems weak af.

Actually the same is happening to me. Connection for everything, including PC and XB1 is totally fine, for PS4 it's much slower and connected with a cable direct to the modem. Tried wi-fi and changing DNS, but no luck. Things takes forever to load as well, and sometimes they don't load at all.

Actually the same is happening to me. Connection for everything, including PC and XB1 is totally fine, for PS4 it's much slower and connected with a cable direct to the modem. Tried wi-fi and changing DNS, but no luck. Things takes forever to load as well, and sometimes they don't load at all.

Have you guys tried using a WiFi hotspot on your phone (if you have decent mobile speed)?

Think some people have had issues with isps and psn.

ACE 1991

Visiting my girlfriend and forgot my switch charger; can I just buy a USB-C cable from any old store and plug my switch into a usb charger?

Top Bottom