• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwent - Open Beta Thread: Not bad, not bad at all

JustinBB7

mwX3B8P.png

About Gwent

Gwent is a card game inspired by The Witcher universe, originally from The Witcher 3, it was loved by fans so much that CDPR made
it into a standalone game. It features the basic Witcher 3 version, only updated into a modern card game.

How to play:

A game consists out of 3 rounds, you play 1 card each turn and try to get the most amount of points as possible on the board. Whoever
wins 2 rounds, wins the game.

Premium cards:

The game features premium cards, which are upgraded versions of the normal cards. They're purely a cosmetic upgrade and become animated.
For a video of all current premium cards click here.

Rewards after the wipe from closed beta:

All cards you got during closed beta will be wiped. In exchange you get some nice rewards from participating. Here is the full reward list:

eyj1cmwioijodhrwoi8vd3bjljrkn2quzwrnzwnhc3rjzg4ubm.png

Neogaf Gwent Tournaments:

We've had 1 tournament in closed beta so far, with the winner being City 17! Once open beta has settled we'll start working on more tournaments in the future.

YTTatCc.png

FAQ:

Q: Is Gwent f2p?
A: Yes, with very generous rewards.

Q: What platforms is Gwent on?
A: Gwent is on PC/Xbox and PS4 with crossplay enabled between PC and consoles, but not between consoles.

Q: Is there a tutorial?
A: Yes, and it's fully voiced by Geralt and Ciri!

Q: Will there be single player?
A: There will be a full single player stand alone campaign, which will be new stories in The Witcher universe.

Q: How many factions are there?
A: There are 5 factions, they are: Nothern Realms, Nilfgaard, Monsters, Scoia'Tael and Skellige.

Q: What's the difference between bronze/silver/gold cards?
A: You can have unlimited amount of bronze cards in your deck, 6 silvers and 4 gold cards. Silver and gold being better cards.

Q: Why are there 3 rows?
A: Certain units and effects can only be played on certain rows, this leads to more unique decks and plays.

Q: Weather?
A: Weather effects are special cards that can effect an entire row (or multiple) and do damage over time.

Q: What are the system requirements for GWENT?

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Celeron G1820 | AMD A4-7300
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 or GeForce GT 7900 | AMD Radeon R5 330 or Radeon HD 4650
Resolution: 1280 x 720 minimum display resolution
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 4.5 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX compatible sound card

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Core i3 6100 | AMD FX-6300
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 | AMD Radeon R7 265
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 4.5 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX compatible sound card

Xbox One HDD free space required: approximately 4.5 GB.
Internet connection is required to play.

CDPR social links:

Official Site
Twitter
Facebook
Youtube
Twitch

Resource sites:

Reddit
GwentDB
Gwentify
Gwent.io
Gwent Glossary

Streamers:

KingBlackToof
Lifecoach
Swim
Merchant
Greyboxer
AshCosplay

Hexer06

I should've played that Closed Beta more, but oh well. This game was pretty dam awesome. Definitely recommend it to any Card game lover, and of course, Gwent lovers. :p

frontovik

Banned
Really looking forward to the next phase of Gwent. Quite pleased that CDPR has reworked the mechanics for most factions & the premiums looks amazing.

Adieu Gwent 1.0, you shall not be missed.

Sorian

Banned
They tend to like surprises, so 48 hours of maintenance would be in about 3 hours, anytime between then and tomorrow at noon PST is possible.

How much bloody longer! If the GOG stats are correct, Ive spent over 100 hours in the beta.

I love this game and am so happy it fills my "strategic card game" void in a way that Hearthstone never has and in a way Magic can't because it's too expensive/impractical.

It's also pretty amazing that this game has grown quite a bit because of the tournament they held.

Sorian

Banned
I don't know what the PS4 plans are offhand but midnight is arbitrary, PC might not even be up at midnight.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't think there's a midnight launch. If there is we would've heard something by now.

do they still do the thing where you choose from some card options for each keg?

i'm not up to date on what's good/bad anymore. has someone made a list?

Jaraghan

Is this up in 10 minutes on the Xbox store? I know it says 24th but it would be awesome if I could try this game out before bed.

RDreamer

Played a little bit of the beta but since it was Windows PC I couldn't play much. Looking forward to PS4, but I really fucking hope they get it on OS X at some point soon. That's where I really need it.

Hearthstone is a joke compared to Gwent in terms of skill cap; this is where the competitive CCG community is going to be. Get in on this one boys.

Sorian

Banned
Single player mode is here already ?

No but open beta is releasing with a robust "challenges" mode that acts as part tutorial part challenge mode that is fully voiced by geralt and ciri and will reward every single leader card in the game by the end. They are saying it will take about 5 hours to get through it all.

Sorian

Banned
I was looking forward to this one. How would people say CDPR's game balance and creativity with card design has been?

They are working very hard to balance and haven't been scared at all to scrap ideas that people have thought as irreplaceable for the sake of balance.

They are definitely still trying to find identity that isn't broken for some factions but all in all, you can tell they have some creative people on this.

Sorian

Banned
I don't mind broken stuff (cause it's a beta and all, it should theoretically be fixed) so that's cool.

Honestly, at an initial glance, 3 out of 5 factions are fine. Nilf, Skellige, and Monsters are all tweaked right with Nilf's only issue probably being a little too vanilla.

NR is getting a complete rework and I think it's going to be OP for a bit. Scoia as well lost its biggest advantage and is going to be underpowered for a bit.

That's me spit balling with no real evidence though, take it how you will.

IvorB

On board for this. It is on PS4 though is it? Main pic says only PC and Xbox but FAQ say PS4. Also, is the single player available in this beta or coming in the final release?

Capra

No but open beta is releasing with a robust "challenges" mode that acts as part tutorial part challenge mode that is fully voiced by geralt and ciri and will reward every single leader card in the game by the end. They are saying it will take about 5 hours to get through it all.

Probably a weird question but... Any chance of a dual language option? I've been playing TW3 in Polish and Geralt's english voice is still the weirdest thing for me.

Sorian

Banned
Probably a weird question but... Any chance of a dual language option? I've been playing TW3 in Polish and Geralt's english voice is still the weirdest thing for me.

You can already play the game itself in a ton of languages, polish included of course, since there hasn't been much voiced dialogue at this point though (and the nature of this being a card game), I have no clue if there will be subtitles.

Makareu

You can already play the game itself in a ton of languages, polish included of course, since there hasn't been much voiced dialogue at this point though (and the nature of this being a card game), I have no clue if there will be subtitles.

Speaking of the nature of the game, I stumbled upon this :
fJmOyQl.png

Too soon to draw conclusions, but I guess if someone can pull something of unexpected scope, it would be CDPR.

Sorian

Banned
I've always been super pumped about the story mode of this and I've talked to a dev a bit and all it did was pump me for the stories more.

Sorian

Banned
Today's the day for open beta right? Packs should be available and going forward nothing will be wiped (or at least that's the plan) ?

Yeah that's the plan, I don't see them doing a full wipe again unless they drastically change the game again (I don't think it's dawned on people who much is changing from closed to open).

Peroroncino

Will the rewards carry to PS4 version? I played the closed beta on my PC but I'd like to continue doing so on PS4 for the time being.

Top Bottom