• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which 3D Mario should I start with?

Whales

Banned
Infuriating controls.

Lol what?

Mario 64 is literally the mario game that gives you the MOST control over mario

Sure camera can be wonky every once in a while but its nothing that I would call "infuriating"

I swear reading some of the comments here it feels like people didnt play m64 and are only basing their comments on how old the game is...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Super Mario 3D Land got robbed.

Yep. The tightest of the 3D Mario games. While the feature is basically dead now, spotpass was a great incentive for speed running levels to.

Also, I don't know what the OP's backlog situation is like, but being the one 3D title on a portable might allow it to be played at times where other backlog games can't be, like the commute.

Don't scare meeee! The Poll has spoken, what else is there ?!?!?
I'm not saying Super Mario 64 is a bad game at all, it's a revolutionary platformer and a great game. However, for you some of its rough edges won't be smoothed over by the power of nostalgia like it is for the rest of us that played it way back when. If you could only play one, I think either Galaxy games are ideal picks in this scenario, and I go with Galaxy 2 simply because I prefer it slightly over Galaxy 1.

sviri

I don't think you understood why I was asking in the first place. Thanks for only reading the thread title.

I read it and understood your meaning. I just suggest that you play any of them and become acquainted with 3D Mario because they are all to an extent great.

big fake

Yep. The tightest of the 3D Mario games. While the feature is basically dead now, spotpass was a great incentive for speed running levels to.

Also, I don't know what the OP's backlog situation is like, but being the one 3D title on a portable might allow it to be played at times where other backlog games can't be, like the commute.
Sadly I don't own any Nintendo console or portable, so that would be out of the question. My commute is very short too so that wouldn't be a real insensitive for me.

marmoka

Banned
You could start with Mario 64, then Galaxy games, 3D Land, 3D World, and finally Odyssey.

In other words, play them chronologically.

Edit: if you can just play one, play Galaxy 1. You could jump to Mario 64 later if you can.

Skip sunshine.

Listen to this person.

I'm not saying Super Mario 64 is a bad game at all, it's a revolutionary platformer and a great game. However, for you some of its rough edges won't be smoothed over by the power of nostalgia like it is for the rest of us that played it way back when. If you could only play one, I think either Galaxy games are ideal picks in this scenario, and I go with Galaxy 2 simply because I prefer it slightly over Galaxy 1.

I don't think nostalgia plays a big part in this. Mario 64 is from 1996, so of course its visuals don't hold up to modern games', and as an early 3D game its camera controls aren't as smooth as you would expect a modern game's to be, but these aren't issues that a person who understands what year the game was made in will run into. (And honestly - SM64 is one of the better-looking games on the N64 so the visuals are a total non-issue.)

The Galaxy games are good, but they offer a completely different kind of experience from Super Mario 64's, and don't serve to replace it.

Hopeford

Not true, with a ds4 controller I can play the game just fine (and run and spray at the same time)

As long as you have a controller with analog triggers you can set it up perfectly.

Awesome, thank you for letting me know! Really appreciate it.

Galaxy is the best so far. Easy to get into, creative and wonderful all around. Super Mario 64 is still great, too. Best played on a well prepared emulator, though.

ramparter

Banned
Nonsense.

Lol what?

Mario 64 is literally the mario game that gives you the MOST control over mario

Sure camera can be wonky every once in a while but its nothing that I would call "infuriating"

I swear reading some of the comments here it feels like people didnt play m64 and are only basing their comments on how old the game is...
I will never forget that time that I pushed the stick upwards were I wanted to go and Mario decided to walk a wide turn and he fell of in the exact opposite direction.

I swear this what happened and I don't understand why, I raged quit after that, it was in Bowser world 1, was trying to get the last red coin, was playing Wii virtual console version.
VHvzDSj.png

I will never forget that time that I pushed the stick upwards were I wanted to go and Mario decided to walk a wide turn and he fell of in the exact opposite direction.

I swear this what happened and I don't understand why, I raged quit after that, it was in Bowser world 1, was trying to get the last red coin, was playing Wii virtual console version.
VHvzDSj.png
You rage quit after one death?
You can train from the first minute how Marios movement works outside the castle and should've been familiar with it as soon as you reach that level.

ramparter

Banned
You rage quit after one death?
You can train from the first minute how Marios movement works outside the castle and should've been familiar with it as soon as you reach that level.
I was trying really hard, making very careful moves and it wasn't my fault that the controls sucked.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Skip 3D Land

3D World makes it redundant

Not really. That's like saying Super Mario World makes Super Mario Bros 3 redundant. One might be bigger and prettier, but the other still provides a rock solid adventure and the shorter more condensed levels provide their own unique challenge compared to its successor.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I was trying really hard, making very careful moves and it wasn't my fault that the controls sucked.
Mario was facing the wrong direction, so he had to turn around. I like more direct control but it is not like it is an inexplicable behaviour.

I have a hard time believing that the people who say that 3D World should be skipped actually played the game. The creativity on display in that game is incredible, and it has the most challenging levels I've encountered in any 3D Mario game towards the end (I didn't play Sunshine though).

The different camera position makes it feel different from other 3D Mario games though and I think that's been putting a lot of people off. I didn't mind the change myself.

silva1991

I just started Sunshine and already stumbled upon a big problem. Inverted controls for aiming up and down? fucking really? This is gonna take a while to get used to.

rjc571

Banned
Holy fuck at this thread

Play the Galaxy games NOW. Two of the greatest games ever made.

But why would he want to play two of the greatest games ever made when he can play a game which features exciting and well thought out level objectives such as blasting from a cannon directly into a random wall to reveal a hidden star

Kurt

Everything in order

SM64 -> GALAXY1 -> GALAXY2 -> 3DWorld

Ignore Sunshine, it's below the quality standards of a mario game.

Kneefoil

You could start with any of them really. Mario 64 is probably the closest to Odyssey if that's what you want.

VHvzDSj.png

Mario does that when you change direction while Mario is doing his slowing down animation. Now you know.

Ravelle

3D Land is my favorite of the 3D Mario's so far.

3D World was fun but I didn't really like how it was a side scroller with dept, I kept falling of levels but it was hard to see if you were above the ground or to the side in the air.

Regginator

Order of release, without a doubt. In terms of level design and open ended levels, I think Odyssey is going to be much more like Mario 64 than the Galaxy games.

13ruce

Banned
Why not play both Galaxy 1 and 2 they are the best Mario games yet they even are better than 64.

Played them last year gor the first time and i was mad at myself for not getting them earlier lol.

Still got Sunshine to play tho bought it a few months ago but will try it soon.

jts

...hate me...
Think Sunshine as "off-season" Mario. After you're done with 64, Galaxy 1+2, 3D Land+World, if you're still thirsty but at same time want something a bit different, do Sunshine.

gaiages

Banned
Since you only have time for one game, Galaxy 1.

If you had time for more, I would have suggested starting at 64 and just playing up from there.

Granted, none of the games are super long, you might be able to squeeze more than one Mario game in there. That or you're just playing a billion long RPGs :p

Chronological order, always. 64 is an all-time classic that's great to start out with and you best get to experience how it all evolved.

Agreed. I wasn't a huge fan as a kid as I missed the multitude of power-ups you could use anywhere in the 2D Mario games. Just four years ago I gave it another shot, and I got all 120 stars even knowing that nothing great happens when you do.

Wonderful game.

Top Bottom