• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

I don't have a TV (or monitor) right now. Is there any workaround to change the remote play settings while using remotely on my Macbook?

I would like to connect the PS4's own wifi but don't have the WPA key at hand, any way of retrieving that from the PS4 via remote play?

Dunno if this is the right thread but you can now play PS4 on iPad/iPhone with an app called Playcast. It works really good with little to no lag at 720p/60fps and you can use a PS4 controller if you log into remote play a secondary account. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this?
I have just tried it now from the bedroom with my ps4 downstairs and the signal for the controller never got lost!

My PS4 PC remote play is laggy and disconnects frequently while my vita remote play is perfect. Anyone know what might be causing this? I checked the PC settings, changed everything to low, but it's still disconnecting frequently and laggy. While my vita has a flawless connection and runs at the high framerate setting. I checked and they're both using the same wifi. And my wifi on my PC is fine, it can stream HD video and everything without buffering problems. Not sure what would be causing this difference.

Mainly I really need to play on PC instead of vita so I can get access to the trigger buttons on my dual shock. Also bigger screens are nice.

Kusuri

Neo Member
I doubt anyone has new input for this besides probably formatting everything but here's the thing: I can RP the PS4 perfectly at home and outside on a different network using the Vita but the PS4 only wakes up from Rest Mode if the Vita is on the same network.
If I'm outside I need to ask someone at home to wake up the PS4 for me and then I can play just fine on hotel's Wifi.

On the Vita side, if the PS4 is resting, it just stays forever on "Searching via Internet" until it says it could not find the PS4.
PS4 is primary with auto-login and has all the proper settings to wake remotely checked and a Static IP + wired connection to Asus RT-N66U 380.57 Merlin with its IP on DMZ. Tried UPnP too but no dice.
Any ideas?

Edit: After returning I rebooted Router + Rebuilt Databases on PS4 and tested connecting to phone on LTE as hotspot and was able to wake the PS4. Either the above worked or the hotel router/area LTE were the culprit.

Has anyone tried 1080p60 Remote/Share Play on PS4 Pro?

I'm really curious about the streaming quality (it also supports H.265, but H.264 is used for legacy compatibility) and the bitrate (10 Mbps might not be enough anymore)...

Rumors say that input lag might be improved too.

DieH@rd

Banned
My personal impressions of Pro's PC RP are that 1080p video quality is very good and that latency is lower than I ever had before with base PS4.

DieH@rd

Banned
I just played RotTR [in high framerate mode] on PC via Pro's RP, 1080p60 streaming is really nice. Macroblocking in dark & snowly scenes from the start of the game is still visible, but that's quite likely the worse case scenario I could ever find. Video feed runs without any issues. Lag is low enough for me that I can actually play the game well. :)

BTW I never saw this before, but I just now noticed that when I connected Pro's DS4 to PC via USB cable that new audio device appeared in my Win10 Sound listing. "Headset Earphone". I just tested it, and yeah, all windows sounds are carried to 3.5mm of the DS4. Is this new, or I just never noticed it before?
https://i.imgur.com/sWzgXBx.jpg

Just wondering, is it technically possible to increase the encoding bitrate in the future?

My PC and my PS4 are connected via Gigabit, so I have plenty of bandwidth to spare...

DieH@rd

Banned
Just wondering, is it technically possible to increase the encoding bitrate in the future?

My PC and my PS4 are connected via Gigabit, so I have plenty of bandwidth to spare...

AMD media block can do 1080p60 at 50mbits on PC GPUs during gameDVD sessions, but who knows how much resources Sony want's to invest in that. They maybe also want to keep the bitrate down so that there is less lag. They don't want to compromise gaming experience.

AMD media block can do 1080p60 at 50mbits on PC GPUs during gameDVD sessions, but who knows how much resources Sony want's to invest in that. They maybe also want to keep the bitrate down so that there is less lag. They don't want to compromise gaming experience.
Damn, sounds like a mem bw allocation limitation... :\ I guess we'll have to wait for the PS5 and some HBM2 goodness.

I was playing remote play all day yesterday but since yesterday evening it won't connect anymore.
No settings have changed or anything.

Using both the App on my Mac or the Vita it no longer works.

The Playstation turns on (I hear the beep and the light switches to white) when I select connect, but it is then stuck on establishing connection till it times out. possible error messages I've seen in the last couple of hours "88010C36" or "80001fff" or "connection has been lost" or

So the PS4 can obviously be found but I cannot figure out what might be wrong...
Any ideas?

Disktrasa

Banned
OMG, please Gaf, help me, i am going insane!

Remote play with my Vita works LIKE A DREAM on my og ps4, but on the pro, its laggy as hell, that symbol that shows that its bad connection is always there via the pro.

Its on the same network, everything via wifi, and the router is downstairs were my pro is, my og ps4 is upstairs waaaaay from the router, and as i said, it works perfect on the og ps4 wherever i am in my house, and we have a big house.

Wtf shall i do, i want it to work with my pro?

When i check the status on the pro its says 5Ghz, but on the og ps4 it says nothing, i think its has something to do with that, but i am not so good at this thing.

It should work better on the pro, but it doesn't, please help me =)

Edit; i don't know what i just did, but something happened, to the better....

I will update, hm, strange....

Magnus

Set up a powerline adapter to finally get my PC faster speed (was playing online and Remote Play via a USB Rocket Stick, lol) and wow, it's great! IQ seems to still be way lower than whatever the system is outputting directly to my TV, but the framerate is stable and solid. It's totally playable. Lag is ultra minor. I can play RE4 and Shovel Knight just fine.

Disktrasa

Banned
So, now it works like a charm on my vita, but on my macbook pro i doesnt work good, it has worked good when i used remoteplay from my og ps4, but not from the pro, wtf is this?

When i look on the network status on pro it says 5ghz so i think i uses the 5ghz right (have an asus 68u) and my mac is from 2012, why is it so laggy, and that symbol that it is about to disconnect is on the screen all the time.

And one another thing, i have 100/10mbit, when i use remoteplay on the vita it works SOOOO good, the image and response is top notch, but lets say my daughter use netflix and streaming it works like shit on the vita, but if nothing else uses the network at home it works perfect, but i mean; 100/10 and i have asus 68u shouldn't that be enough? Do i have to go up to 250/100 or what?

Please forgive me if my spelling sucks =)

Philippo

Sorry for the bump, but i just started using Vita RP for the first time, and i noticed that when i use it, both the TV screen and the Vita are displaying the same. Is
there a way to turn off the signal on TV, and just use the Vita? This way i could turn on the Ps4 when i'm away without the TV going on the console source, maybe while my mom is watching a movie and gets scared lol

Vexii

Sorry for the bump, but i just started using Vita RP for the first time, and i noticed that when i use it, both the TV screen and the Vita are displaying the same. Is
there a way to turn off the signal on TV, and just use the Vita? This way i could turn on the Ps4 when i'm away without the TV going on the console source, maybe while my mom is watching a movie and gets scared lol
Basically if you're away, you'd just need to disconnect the PS4 from the TV. Remote Play just shows a mirror image (or more accurately a direct video feed) of whatever the PS4 is rendering.

Zoe

Remote play shouldn't cause the TV to turn on or switch sources. If it is regardless, turn off the feature that allows the PS4 to control the TV.

What's the current status of this on APK for android devices outside of Sony Xperia?

I tried an older version yesterday as I wanted to play Persona 5 on my tablet. It says requires and update, because of course. Seems the guy who was doing the android versions stopped working on it? Am I just out of luck unless I want to run it on PC, Xperia devices or a Vita?

DieH@rd

Banned
What's the current status of this on APK for android devices outside of Sony Xperia?

I tried an older version yesterday as I wanted to play Persona 5 on my tablet. It says requires and update, because of course. Seems the guy who was doing the android versions stopped working on it? Am I just out of luck unless I want to run it on PC, Xperia devices or a Vita?

What version of the app you have?

GazzaGSi

Having had a flick through this thread earlier I thought I'd try remote play out on my phone while watching the Grand Prix. I mainly used remote play with my Vita but only have my Xperia XZ synced with my Pro so gave it a whirl.

Was really impressed, barely noticed any lag and controls were really responsive. Was only playing PVE content so PVP would probably abit more difficult but overall can't complain at all.

(pics compressed to death, first through WhatsApp off the wife's phone then uploaded to photo bucket. The image is crisp on the phone using 1080/high settings).

Angst

I think we're SOL until someone decides to start working on compatibility for the app. Sony should open the app to all new phones and not just Sony phones. I get why they might think restraining to Sony phones is a good idea, but psn sales should be more important to them.

I don't think it does.
Shame, it could cut the bitrate in half for the same quality:

bitrate.jpg

timnich

Anyone else having this issue?

After a successful remote play session, I am unable to reconnect to my PS4 without reseting the system. It happens without fail; first time I connect to the PS4 from my Vita or my laptop I have a perfect connection. Try to connect again later on and I get an error message, telling me to reset my PS4. Super frustrating!

Is there any easy way to Remote Play from the Samsung S8?

Why Sony keeps locking this option only to old and expensive stupid Xperia models?

How do you actually get this running on the Vita?
It's just about as flawless as it can get on the PC app, but I can stand in front of the PS4 with the Vita, and it'll struggle to get a connection.

deadfolk

How do you actually get this running on the Vita?
It's just about as flawless as it can get on the PC app, but I can stand in front of the PS4 with the Vita, and it'll struggle to get a connection.

Did you turn off 'Use Wi-fi in power safe mode'?

Also are you connecting directly or via a router?

Did you turn off 'Use Wi-fi in power safe mode'?

Also are you connecting directly or via a router?

That option is turned off, but I'm away from it at the moment, do I can't remember what option I'm using. I think I've set out to direct connection though, but don't quote me on that.

The PS4 is wired, if that makes a difference.

What would be the best of those options to use?

deadfolk

That option is turned off, but I'm away from it at the moment, do I can't remember what option I'm using. I think I've set out to direct connection though, but don't quote me on that.

The PS4 is wired, if that makes a difference.

What would be the best of those options to use?

Use Wi-fi in power safe mode: off. This saves battery at the expense of Wifi performance.

At for direct vs. router, that depends on your setup. I think that's one where you just have to try to see what works best for you.

Other than that, I'm not sure I can help much. It's always just worked for me - other than refusing to wake up the PS4 remotely on occasion.

Use Wi-fi in power safe mode: off. This saves battery at the expense of Wifi performance.

At for direct vs. router, that depends on your setup. I think that's one where you just have to try to see what works best for you.

Other than that, I'm not sure I can help much. It's always just worked for me - other than refusing to wake up the PS4 remotely on occasion.

Alright, thanks. I'll have to play around with the settings to see what works. It's just a bit disheartening when I hear people using remote play perfectly from the other side of the country, and I can't connect from the other side of my room.

deadfolk

Alright, thanks. I'll have to play around with the settings to see what works. It's just a bit disheartening when I hear people using remote play perfectly from the other side of the country, and I can't connect from the other side of my room.

I would say start with the direct connect as that has the least links in the chain, so to speak. Also try it with your PS4 already on.

FWIW, I can only do it locally anyway as my internet uses actual carrier pigeons.

So I have 2 PS4s (one Darth Vader model & one PRO). My PRO is wired directly into my router and the other on is in the upstairs bedroom connected Wi-Fi only. No matter how many times I manually set it to connect to the PRO, as soon as I leave home it defaults back to the Darth Vader model.
So for instance, last night I was getting the "network not strong enough" while trying to remote play to the Darth Vader so I manually set it to connect to the PRO. And that worked flawlessly playing Destiny for an hour in bed. Even tested it this morning and it connected to the PRO. Came to work and tried to connect and it connected to the Darth Vader one.
Its like when I am away from the house it pretends the PRO doesn't exist, continuing when I get home. BTW I am using a PS Vita 1000 and the Remote play app for MAC, getting the same results from both. Any ideas?

Doombear

You can only remote connect via internet to the one that is set as your primary (Activated) console I believe. With Nearby connection it will connect to any registered PS4 that is nearby of course.

I assume then, since you have been connecting to it at work, that Vader is set to be your Primary console?

Top Bottom