• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U has 2GB of DDR3 RAM, [Up: RAM 43% slower than 360/PS3 RAM]

Reiko

Banned
It's possibly on the same level, but this time it's out a year in advance at worst, and it's running at the same resolutions most of the next PS/Xbox games will likely run at, so the difference won't be as striking a 480p versus 720p.

Stripping away DX11 features could put it at Wii level. Especially for games made from the ground up for it.

Most of the next gen xbox/ps games will run at 1080p

I'll cut my left sack off if they run at 720, considering that the next consoles are rumored to be extremly powerful

What about 720p/60fps locked games?

It's possibly on the same level, but this time it's out a year in advance at worst, and it's running at the same resolutions most of the next PS/Xbox games will likely run at, so the difference won't be as striking a 480p versus 720p.

BO2 on Wii U apparently runs 720p at least.

I'll cut my left sack off if they run at 720, considering that the next consoles are rumored to be extremly powerful

AzaK

It's cheap.
This I imagine. But is it also cooler? Nintendo seem hung up on that.

It's shocking actually. It took some effort but they really managed to release a system 6 years later with similar tech at 350.00.

Chip factory : "why the fuck would you want so many chips of that old shit?" Lol

In all fairness the GPU is much more modern and it has an expensive touchscreen controller. We really need to wait to hear about the rest of the system. And more importantly we need to sees one games that push the machine.

sinnergy

No, but this is all we have atm and most people only care about comparing whatever numbers they can get their hands on.

I feel like this, look like ports will need much more effort to get good looking and running. (because of the bandwith, so remapping to Edram and speeding up CPU with remapping to GPU functions)They will need to rewrite cpu code to run on the gpu to take advantage of the Wii U. I bet none of the port houses will do that so it looks like Nintendo did a Sony (CELL to much effort needed), shitty ports confirmed.

It will just take to much effort to do. And to much money for a port.

To bad really :(

Durante

You may have been right about whatever it was you said but if you claimed facts before any confirmation why wouldn't people dispute that?
You'd have a point if I ever claimed to have "facts". The first "facts" I recognize about Wii U hardware are in this thread.

I only said something to the effect of all evidence we had pointing strongly towards the CPU being lower clocked (lower clocked, I didn't even say anything about its performance!) than PS3/360, and that already stirred the hornet nest for a few pages.

Also: Wiipad is IMO eating the bulk of the console BOM. And it looks and feels so janky...
I just don't understand that part honestly. A cheap android tablet with actual processing HW inside is <$80 at retail.

Erethian

They won't run at 1080p because developers will always use that extra fillrate for more graphical effects instead.

Takao

Banned
I marvel at the feats of engineering Sony's teams can do. I also marvel at Nintendo's engineering team, but for a completely different reason.

IrishNinja

well
i dont know bout the lot of you, but seeing these lowly #'s guarantees i will cannot possibly enjoy mario later today

nintendo's most creative console was the gamecube. they crammed bleeding edge performance in to a purple lunch box and sold it for $200.

i guess the creativity comes in selling a games machine packing a whopping 17gb/s of memory bandwidth for over $300 in 2012 and still making a loss.

i adored the gamecube, but their most creative console recycled bits from its prior iteration, used motion controls as the primary input, and ate everyone else's lunch.

szaromir

Banned
It's truly shameful that Nintendo can't properly announce specs of their systems, instead we have this situation where the info about all individual components is gradually leaked.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
- Hardware avoids "typical bottlenecks", such as RAM latency.
- Hardware has good optimisation potential, and components well balanced.
Maybe numbers on a chip aren't the whole story? Not that this would translate in a machine beating a top of the line PC or anything outrageous, but the usual suspects already raging it's weaker than PS360 over this tidbit are being a tiny bit too obvious (& funny).

Reiko

Banned
It's truly shameful that Nintendo can't properly announce specs of their systems, instead we have this situation where the info about all individual components is gradually leaked.

In fear of enthusiast console GAF/B3D tearing them apart for weaker hardware.

legend166

I'll still never understand why people are so shocked about any of this.

Iwata told everyone 8 years ago that Nintendo were leaving the hardware arms race. And he's said it over and over again. They saw development costs rising, and who their competitors were, and said "Damn, we can't go down a road where competitive advantage comes in the form of who can afford to lose the most amount of money on consoles. We need to take a step back and readjust."

And that's exactly what they did. They pressed pause on hardware improvement for a generation, because the costs didn't go in their favour if they continued down the same road as Microsoft and Sony.

The fact that there's so much hand wringing about it is just weird to me. Especially when you read the threads on here about development costs, where the overwhelming response seems to be "lol game industry is doomed, budgets are too high!!"

Well this is a direct response to that.

Besides, people buying consoles for power are weird in the first place. Get a PC like us cool kids.

Erethian

Yeah, please come with a source on that one. It wouldn't make any sense if that was the case

Iwata in the second quarter financial results Q&A. He also says that he can't say when they will start to turn a profit on the hardware alone, but they expect the Wii U business as a whole (software + hardware) to start turning a profit within the next fiscal year.

In fear of enthusiast console GAF/B3D tearing them apart for weaker hardware.

Yes, I'm sure they're terrified.

JMPerona

Iwata told everyone 8 years ago that Nintendo were leaving the hardware arms race. And he's said it over and over again. They saw development costs rising, and who their competitors were, and said "Damn, we can't go down a road where competitive advantage comes in the form of who can afford to lose the most amount of money on consoles. We need to take a step back and readjust."

And that's exactly what they did. They pressed pause on hardware improvement for a generation, because the costs didn't go in their favour if they continued down the same road as Microsoft and Sony.

The fact that there's so much hand wringing about it is just weird to me. Especially when you read the threads on here about development costs, where the overwhelming response seems to be "lol game industry is doomed, budgets are too high!!"

Besides, people buying consoles for power are weird in the first place. Get a PC like us cool kids.
+1, Im with you ;P

Margalis

Banned
I marvel at the feats of engineering Sony's teams can do. I also marvel at Nintendo's engineering team, but for a completely different reason.

The PS3 base model costs $250 at Best Buy. The Wii U costs $300, has 4 times the RAM, better GPU and a tablet controller.

The PS3 came out a year after the 360, cost what, $599, and is practically speaking worse, especially for multiplatform releases.

Those Sony engineers!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Maybe Nintendo purposely labelled up newer faster RAM with an older slower RAM's product code and info!!!!!!!!!
How is that what you got from my post? Is English not your native language? It isn't mine but I'm pretty sure I didn't say or imply anything close to that. Do you need some help with reading? Can a GAFer with English as his main language help this guy, please?

Darryl

Banned
Maybe Nintendo purposely labelled up newer faster RAM with an older slower RAM's product code and info!!!!!!!!!

This would be brilliant. Maybe the lowered confidence in the Wii U specs would prompt Sony/MS to slash their next-gen console specs accordingly, bridging the gap even more.

farnham

Banned
Ah the tech argument...

Why didnt xbox outsell ps2
Why didnt psp outsell ds
Why didnt ps3 outsell wii
Why didnt vita outsell 3ds

It isnt about tech... It never was.

Ydahs

Stripping away DX11 features could put it at Wii level. Especially for games made from the ground up for it.

Eh, not really. The jump from DX9 to DX10 is pretty big, but the jump from DX10 to DX11 is relatively small. Since the WiiU's GPU is rumoured to be DX10.1 compliant (2008-2009 GPU?), it really shouldn't have too many issues since the architecture wouldn't be that outdated compared to the other next gen platforms.

Durante

So many experts in this thread. Are you and the other experts willing to ban bet these specs are factually accurate and harbour all the connotations implied?
I'm more than willing to bet anything you'd like that these are the chips used in the system and that PCPer didn't somehow manipulate their images to display different serial numbers. As for "implications", I'm willing to do the same for everything I said in this thread, I obviously can't vouch for other people's opinions.

tenchir

You guys have to remember there's also eDRAM. We don't know how exactly it will be used, but it could explain why Nintendo didn't feel the need to have fast main RAM.

Yeah and all the games you're running on your PC are at best glorified 360 ports. Would you be able to run something like Samaritan at 1080p/60FPS? No.

How many devs are going to make their games look like the Samarian demo? Not many

I think epic are going to aim for 1080p@30fps with the samarian

Squire

Banned
Yeah, really a bit of a Dreamcast to Xbox scenario.
Both machines render most games at the same resolution (480i/p back then, likely still gonna be 720p for the most part this gen) but the gulf in geometry, textures and shader effects will probably be significant. Not to mention CPU-bound stuff like AI, number of characters/units on screen, physics, etc.

But at least Wii U games just won't be as butt-ugly and low-res as Wii anymore. At first glance they should still compare favorably to PS4/Xbox 720 for the masses.

I really don't see Wii U versions of PS4/720 games being a commonality in the long run. It's gonna be all Nintendo, all the time like the Wii. I'm expecting a pretty sizable dropoff in support when those consoles are finally out.

Reiko

Banned
Ah the tech argument...

Why didnt psp outsell ds

You forgot SNES Vs. Genesis

Revisionist history

How many devs are going to make their games look like the Samarian demo? Not many

I think epic are going to aim for 1080p@30fps with the samarian

It will be topped on UE4

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
How is that what you got from my post? Is English not your native language? It isn't mine but I'm pretty sure I didn't say or imply anything close to that. Do you need some help with reading? Can a GAFer with English as his main language help this guy, please? Anyone?

I'm not sure how saying "numbers on a chip dont mean everything!" where in this case they literally mean it has slower RAM than the 360 and PS3. Theres not going to be some magical protoplasm oozing out of the system because the RAM's just there as a red herring and the Wii U actually operates on bio-organic communication modules. This is the teardown, now there is nowhere to hide. Welcome to phase one: denial (with an exotic sprinkling of MAYBE ENGLISH ISN'T YOUR FIRST LANGUAGE BUT...)

Perkel

Banned

Any better than avarge pc can play games at 1080p without problems so i don't see why next gen games couldn't achieve that or even better.

It's only Wii U that will be using 720p for most of games.

As of difference 480p vs 720p vs 1080p it is very noticable. Aspect ratio is the same but difference between 720p vs 1080p is clear.

It is not only diffrence in resolution but also dev will use now higer resolution textures.

QaaQer

Ah the tech argument...

Why didnt psp outsell ds

if that was true, why did people buy the 3ds when the ds was still on sale, same for xbox/xbox360, ps1/ps2/ps3. tech matters.

Truth.

Confirmation of the chip code and what it means, at this moment, seems iffy to say the least(something about there's a G no a g, 3rd character is an M, the .pdf says yes, it's the same code on the 360 chip blah blah blah.) But of course GAF knows exactly what it means.

FGMPR

Banned

I think this is a good post, but surely this only extends so far. If Wii U ends up being even weaker than the current 7 Y.O hardware, then surely they have cut too far to the bone in their configuration. A slight downgrade on the speed of the RAM and the CPU could be the difference between a whole lot of 3rd party support and very little, and that's potentially problematic for both Nintendo and the consumers.

Top Bottom