• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Linkhero1

Is there by any chance a list of the firmware updates that come with games? I only know that Wii Music has 3.3U June update.

MoogPaul

Linkhero1 said:
Is there by any chance a list of the firmware updates that come with games? I only know that Wii Music has 3.3U June update.

smash bros had an update on it. I remember that, I don't remember which one was on it though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Linkhero1 said:

Disaster: Day of Crysis has that one as well.

Linkhero1

Supposedly Wii Menu Loader should still work with the newest update, but I haven't had a chance to try it out. I'll test it out once I get home from uni.

markatisu

neonglow said:
Will these hack still work if I were to buy a retail copy of TP today?

Yes they cannot change the hack without reprogramming the game, just make sure you read the inner ring of the game disc to find which Zelda TP Hack save you need to run in the game (there are two different saves contained in the file last I checked)

spwolf

what can you do with wii homebrew? any good sites i can check? There is this Wii that has been sitting in the local store forever, now just got joined by Wii Fit... I might be tempted.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
markatisu said:
Yes they cannot change the hack without reprogramming the game, just make sure you read the inner ring of the game disc to find which Zelda TP Hack save you need to run in the game (there are two different saves contained in the file last I checked)
This is just for the US version of the game.
PAL users don't need to do it.

CTLance

spwolf said:
what can you do with wii homebrew? any good sites i can check? There is this Wii that has been sitting in the local store forever, now just got joined by Wii Fit... I might be tempted.
Follow my guide and you'll be fine. From there on out you'll be on your own. Just use the Homebrew browser and fiddle around with it until you're more comfortable with the apps, then you can start installing your own apps.

Good place to start? I'd say www.wiibrew.org .

You better refrain from updating your Wii to the newest firmware if possible, since that complicates things. You'll find a way around the update requirement if you look really really hard at the above site. It's extremely well hidden. ;)

jrricky

Banned
how convenient :lol :
Picture1.jpg

HUELEN10

Linkhero1 said:
Supposedly Wii Menu Loader should still work with the newest update, but I haven't had a chance to try it out. I'll test it out once I get home from uni.
Any luck my friend?

Linkhero1

So I talked to marcan about wii menuloader and he said it doesn't work with the latest update. Looks like I may have to buy an older wii off ebay.

HUELEN10

Linkhero1 said:
So I talked to marcan about wii menuloader and he said it doesn't work with the latest update. Looks like I may have to buy an older wii off ebay.
Or wait a bit...

Hopefully...

Linkhero1

HUELEN10 said:
Or wait a bit...

Hopefully...
He said that they aren't working on solving it. I'm not sure about Nuke, GeckoOS guy, either. I might as well get one and let my brothers take over the Wii I currently have.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
MoogPaul said:
Can you play imported games that have system updates on them? Will 3.3E try to over-write my 3.3U?

Brawl USA had an update in it but it didn't try to over-write the same I had downloaded through the system update (just with .E instead of .U), that's all I can tell you.
Btw, Crisis has 3.3E.

CTLance

The updaters look for the version string without any regional qualifiers (at least from my experience). Methinks you'll be safe if your Wii is up to date - and if the relevant update has been released in your region already.

Thankfully you're asked before updates are installed.

Linkhero1 said:
Whenever I try installing the unofficial update for the shop channel I get errors and a code dump. Any help?
Could be one of many things.
Bad SD card - try another (no SDHC) and/or do a fresh format with the official SD card tools mentioned on wiibrew.org
Interfering peripherals - take out any NGC memcards
Broken download or messed-up filesystem - redownload, take extra care to unmount, make sure the card isn't write-protected

Leave some space on the SD card in case the updater needs it, and don't use that little switch thing to write-protect your SD card.

That's all I can think of right now.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The best jrpg thread on the fp right now is making me ask this question. I have a PAL Wii and an imported (ntsc) copy of BK Origins. That game has been sitting on my shelf for ages now and I don't know if there's a quick and dirty way to get it to play on my Wii. With all the homebrew stuff out right now, can you do something about region protection?

I have a gc freeloader, but it doesn't work on the Wii anymore. And I want to play this in 480p

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Darunia said:
The best jrpg thread on the fp right now is making me ask this question. I have a PAL Wii and an imported (ntsc) copy of BK Origins. That game has been sitting on my shelf for ages now and I don't know if there's a quick and dirty way to get it to play on my Wii. With all the homebrew stuff out right now, can you do something about region protection?

I have a gc freeloader, but it doesn't work on the Wii anymore. And I want to play this in 480p
GeckoOS or GCbooter might do the job for you.
GC Killer7 (JPN) works on a PAL Wii, but I have no idea about BK compatibility.

Linkhero1

CTLance said:
Could be one of many things.
Bad SD card - try another (no SDHC) and/or do a fresh format with the official SD card tools mentioned on wiibrew.org
Interfering peripherals - take out any NGC memcards
Broken download or messed-up filesystem - redownload, take extra care to unmount, make sure the card isn't write-protected

Leave some space on the SD card in case the updater needs it, and don't use that little switch thing to write-protect your SD card.

That's all I can think of right now.
Actually it turned out to be a router problem :D

Threi

notag
comedy bomb said:
I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff. How do I unpack the homebrew gz file?
Step 1: Throw away whatever you had
Step 2: Download Wiibrew SD installer
Step 3: Follow instructions shown in Wiibrew SD installer
Step 4: Enjoy

Threi said:
Step 1: Throw away whatever you had
Step 2: Download Wiibrew SD installer
Step 3: Follow instructions shown in Wiibrew SD installer
Step 4: Enjoy

Thanks!

I thought I remembered seeing an easier way. Will give it a shot in a little bit. The things I do for the privilege to play the new Capcom vs game.:lol

So I follewd all the instructions and it started to load. but now it says failed to read boot.elf (-1) No code found to load, hanging.

Now what? D:

MoogPaul

comedy bomb said:
So I follewd all the instructions and it started to load. but now it says failed to read boot.elf (-1) No code found to load, hanging.

Now what? D:

that happened to me, it could be a shite SD card. That was my case.

Threi

notag
comedy bomb said:

Now what? D:
You are using the newest version right?

installing the newest version myself, there shouldn't be any .elf files at all. They are all .dol files (for the newest HBC)

make sure you are using the latest version.

Got the homebrew working :D

Is there anything I need to know? Any malicious software that I should stay away from?

Can I download games from the Wiishop channel, or are there issues with that? I want to purchase World of Goo.

Linkhero1

comedy bomb said:
Got the homebrew working :D

Is there anything I need to know? Any malicious software that I should stay away from?

Can I download games from the Wiishop channel, or are there issues with that? I want to purchase World of Goo.
What firmware do you have now? Have you updated your Wii with the latest update? If not, don't.

Threi

notag
Linkhero1 said:
What firmware do you have now? Have you updated your Wii with the latest update? If not, don't.
why not?

why is everyone so scared of the new update? I updated my Wii and everything runs the same. Am i missing something?

Linkhero1

Threi said:
why not?

why is everyone so scared of the new update? I updated my Wii and everything runs the same. Am i missing something?
GeckoOS Rebooter and Menu Loader do not work. I think GeckoOS launch still works but I prefer rebooter. Some of my japanese GCN games won't work without menu loader.

Linkhero1 said:

Oh shit.

I decided to update it because I figured if anything got screwed up I could fix it while I had a copy of Zelda in my possession.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I haven't updated to the latest firmware yet. I've heard that if you don't update it, you won't be able to access the shop. Is this true? I also read about a fix, but I'm not sure which files I would have to download. :(

Linkhero1

The latest update blocks installing illegal wads (I think) which is great, but it also disables some good homebrew apps, ie GeckoOS and Menuloader. GeckoOS isn't totally disabled seeing that you can use the launch feature still.

@ Rewrite The unofficial update is here

I'd post how to downgrade but there would be problems and I could even get banned for doing so, so I'll avoid that. It's out there though. I'm not sure if it's safe either.

Top Bottom