• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2017 (Oct 02 - Oct 08)

I mean, look at the severe supply constraints for the switch, nintendo didnt see this coming by a long-shot, nobody did.
It surpassing Nintendo's expectations and thinking it wasn't worth supporting are two different things.

Don't think many are demanding exclusives from all these developers, but try and squeeze a Switch port into the pipeline, especially if it's a game out more than 9 months after it's been a success.

Vena

I mean, look at the severe supply constraints for the switch, nintendo didnt see this coming by a long-shot, nobody did.

I don't think there's much they could do about this regardless of their forecasts, this is a limit of production that struck the entire industry (for semiconductor productions).

Nintendo's faith/effort can be measured by the software, and... well... it speaks for itself.

Sure is weird for so many to be caught with their pants down with the Switch. Especially in Japan where even the Vita was fairly successful. Not being able to adapt until 2019 is pitiful.

Its really just Capcom, or companies that are so small that they only ever work on a single project/platform like Falcom.

I'm fully expecting GE3 to not come to Switch or as a late port when nobody cares about it anymore. Yeah, I'm sure development started long before they got Switch dev kits, but that goes for most releases in the first year of most platforms. The only good reason would be if it would take too much time and money to downgrade a graphically-demanding game and release it in a timely manner, but I'm not expecting GE3 to be graphically demanding.

Busaiku

I don't think there'll be multiple versions for Fire Emblem again.
In terms of unit sales, it did well, but only slightly better than Awakening.

However, DLC fell off a cliff.
A lot of DLC wasn't even released outside of Japan because it apparently did poorly.

Kyoufu

Its really just Capcom, or companies that are so small that they only ever work on a single project/platform like Falcom.

What does Namco Bandai have planned for Switch? What about D3 Publisher? I'm not remembering what they have announced for Switch.

Cerium

It's not really that weird to see a platform holder court companies who are well known but not associated with their brand. Every platform holder has made strides to work with these kind of companies after generational shifts. Like when Microsoft went after Japanese devs and publishers during the early years of Xbox 360. Sony made deals with Bungie and Activision among others on PS4.

Sure, but we know that Nintendo courted Capcom as well.

EDarkness

I'm fully expecting GE3 to not come to Switch or as a late port when nobody cares about it anymore. Yeah, I'm sure development started long before they got Switch dev kits, but that goes for most releases in the first year of most platforms. The only good reason would be if it would take too much time and money to downgrade a graphically-demanding game and release it in a timely manner, but I'm not expecting GE3 to be graphically demanding.

According to them, the game is only 30% complete, which means it started not that long ago. They would have and could have seen where the NS was going. Not including it signals to me that they don't see that kind of game as worth investing in on the system. Considering that the XBox is likely to get the game, it's crazy that they wouldn't have the NS greenlit right off the bat.

Mory Dunz

I don't think it's coming to switch, just because

I don't think there'll be multiple versions for Fire Emblem again.
In terms of unit sales, it did well, but only slightly better than Awakening.

However, DLC fell off a cliff.
A lot of DLC wasn't even released outside of Japan because it apparently did poorly.

This part isn't even actually true worldwide as far as we know!

EDarkness

Bandai Namco has Tales and Taiko announced (although no details so far). They've also already put out some ports onto the system.

Namco is releasing stuff, but they have very little new stuff for the system. I'm not sure about the Taiko game, but everything else has been ports. Yet they've announced new games and not included the NS at all. They keep asking fans to "let them know they want the game" instead of just deciding on their own. Has Square Enix announced anything for the NS recently? Seems like their more recent stuff will miss the system as well. I fully expected the Secret of Mana 3D project to be on the NS, but it's not. But I'll admit I haven't seen what else they've announced recently.

Namco is releasing stuff, but they have very little new stuff for the system. I'm not sure about the Taiko game, but everything else has been ports. Yet they've announced new games and not included the NS at all. They keep asking fans to "let them know they want the game" instead of just deciding on their own. Has Square Enix announced anything for the NS recently? Seems like their more recent stuff will miss the system as well. I fully expected the Secret of Mana 3D project to be on the NS, but it's not. But I'll admit I haven't seen what else they've announced recently.

DQ Builders 1 and 2 are recent Switch announcements.

Kyoufu

Sure, but we know that Nintendo courted Capcom as well.

Maybe they got "courted" the same way Sony "courted" Capcom for Vita:

Sony: So we got this new handheld coming out and Monster Hunter would be cool on it

Capcom: Yeah, sure, Monster Hunter.

*Capcom announces you can play the PSP Monster Hunter game on Vita with a 2nd analogue stick*

[6 years later]

Nintendo: So we got this new handheld coming out and Monster Hunter would be cool on it

*Capcom announces you can play the 3DS Monster Hunter game on Switch with a 2nd analogue stick*

Vena

SE said why, go back a few pages for the interview on SoM. They were fairly open about the reasoning: its a cheap project, we didn't expect people to care. SE's not announced anything large in a while, just Octopath, and that's exclusive. Otherwise, they've also announced DQB1 port and DQB2,and obviously DQXI at some point.

Namco's recently gotten Pokken (an actual successful fighting game), XV2 is a healthy-content port, and they are at least engaged (even if in a stupid way) with responses to their titles from people asking for ports. Tales of and Taiko are announced for the future.

EDarkness

DQ Builders 1 and 2 are recent Switch announcements.

Oh yeah. I forgot about those games. But the DQ guys are all in on the NS. Not sure about the FF guys, though. We did have that crazy hoopla about FFXV (which I think is coming), but that's nothing currently. I think it's safe to assume that DQ stuff will hit the system. Though, whether or not it comes out in the West is a different story (still waiting for DQ Heroes 1&2).

MoonFrog

DQ Builders was great; I have high hopes for 2 being better. There are some, I think, obvious ways they can improve on the formula:

-generated npcs/quests for free-build mode
-more DQ character and building types, like priests and churches
-make at least the final chapter involve a more involved settlement or allow for post chapter continuation in a setting a la free build with, again, generated quests.

Cerium

Sony: So we got this new handheld coming out and Monster Hunter would be cool on it

*Capcom announces you can play the PSP Monster Hunter game on Vita with a 2nd analogue stick*

[6 years later]

Nintendo: So we got this new handheld coming out and Monster Hunter would be cool on it

*Capcom announces you can play the 3DS Monster Hunter game on Switch with a 2nd analogue stick*

Nintendo changed the specs of the system at Capcom's request.

Vena

DQ Builders was great; I have high hopes for 2 being better. There are some, I think, obvious ways they can improve on the formula:

-generated npcs/quests for free-build mode
-more DQ character and building types, like priests and churches
-make at least the final chapter involve a more involved settlement or allow for post chapter continuation in a setting a la free build with, again, generated quests.

Multiplayer.

While Bamco confirmed Tales of and Taiko in January, they never said anything about them again. Taiko is insane, they're releasing a new one for PS4 and never talked about the Switch game. It's not like Taiko is a super hard game to develop, I don't know what's going on lol

EDarkness

While Bamco confirmed Tales of and Taiko in January, they never said anything about them again. Taiko is insane, they're releasing a new one for PS4 and never talked about the Switch game. It's not like Taiko is a super hard game to develop, I don't know what's going on lol

I was under the impression they said something about recently, since people keep mentioning the game. I know they haven't said anything about the Tales game at all. We don't even know if it's a port...I assume it is.

Vena

Taiko bounces around, its fine. Its a game that will appear everywhere.

Tales Of has either changed from what the original plan was, or isn't ready for announcement as its an actual attempt to revive the franchise after Berseria rather than drive it further into the dirt.

Kyoufu

Their Switch support isn't anything to write home about either right now. I definitely wouldn't say that Capcom are the only ones to not accommodate Switch into their development pipeline.

We got one update for Tales and Taiko Switch since January; both are due before March 31st, 2018 when the fiscal year ends. Time's running out though. Best guess is Jump Festa in Dec when we'll see them. Hell wasn't Vesperia unveiled there?

Their Switch support isn't anything to write home about either right now. I definitely wouldn't say that Capcom are the only ones to not accommodate Switch into their development pipeline.

For sure, Capcom is the worst one, but Bamco's support is awful. They're skipping the platform even for anime games (SAO, DBFZ, LWA, Nanatsu no Taizai) and things like Kamen Rider. That's why I don't expect any AAA game from them soon.

For sure, Capcom is the worst one, but Bamco's support is awful. They're skipping the platform even for anime games (SAO, DBFZ, LWA, Nanatsu no Taizai) and things like Kamen Rider. That's why I don't expect any AAA game from them soon.

Kamen Rider's strange as the console games have had a near perfect attendance on Nintendo hardware, even on Wii U.

ggx2ac

Just bringing this up again from back in May considering the Gzbrain CEO's comments about Switch third parties not bringing games until 2019:

The company [Nintendo] has sought to make it easier to create games for the Switch by expanding the scope of development tools. It is also pushing developers to expand the Switch game lineup quickly. An executive at one software company said Nintendo asked it to introduce major releases "as early as possible."

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1370982

Of course the article was written in Osaka so we assume that software company was Capcom.

casiopao

The gameplay portion seems interesting though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9JLg7EoLyM

It got good reviews on Weekly Famitsu (8/8/9/8) and Dengeki PlayStation (90/90/95/90) so maybe it's actually fun to play? Also, I really like the bright and colorful graphics and I'd love to try it out if I get the chance.

Meh. Never really cared about reviews but the gameplay literally does not play anything close to what we fans like. That is enough to push me far far away from this trash title.
There best part of the IP have been keep coming out with strategy to create top monsters. This is just send some wave monster to win.

What if Japan isn't enough for international companies like Namco Bandai, Capcom etc? The surprise for me is that Switch seems to be doing really well outside of Japan.

They should do both. No one ask them to make exclusive to switch. Get Japan and western market.

[6 years later]

tbf the heats between Capcom and Nintendo fans are far more than just a hunting game

casiopao

tbf the heats between Capcom and Nintendo fans are far more than just a hunting game

Well, Megaman Legends 3DS kinda started the flame lol.

Then followed by the lack of Megaman Collection 2 on Switch or 3ds then USF2. U can see why the fans is already reaching exploding point.

MoonFrog

Yep. That is a part of the "It makes sense not to make Switch games" line of thinking that will always irritate me a bit. Most games coming out of Japan are not things that couldn't possibly be on Switch. They're things that just recently would've targeted Vita and/or PS3 in so many cases.

Sure, Japanese companies don't need to support Switch. They don't need to support the domestic console market. They can meet their bottom line elsewhere, in other markets or in another business, but expanding to Switch and including the central thrust of the domestic console market going forward is also something they can do and, if they want, do at the same time.

I get companies of niche games being unsure there's an audience for them outside of PS platforms. Perhaps they dry up their limited sales potential there alone and expanding to Switch does nothing for them. Perhaps, like the Azure case above there is no proven audience for the games on Nintendo platforms and it is a gamble.

The thing is niche support is more there than Capcom is, more there than Namco is, with, say, NIS or Gust planning to support the device.

I don't get medium budget games from major producer/developers writing the domestic market off. A doctrine of "expand worldwide to eat lost domestic sales" doesn't make any sense when it could be "expand worldwide and maximize domestic sales." It only makes sense when you basically write Switch, Nintendo and the Japanese market off, which I'm guessing some people did through at least launch.

I'm just hoping Capcom and Namco are slow in transition.

Well, Megaman Legends 3DS kinda started the flame lol.

Then followed by the lack of Megaman Collection 2 on Switch or 3ds then USF2. U can see why the fans is already reaching exploding point.
some people and most of the current Capcom defense forces are just focusing about that certain hunting game and forget that,those people refused to release even a bunch of nes roms on a system that most of the audience of those games are on.And don’t let me remind people about that infamous 40$ street fighter port

WestEgg

Has Capcom had an investors meeting yet that has indicated the investors are dissatisfied with the lack of Switch support thus far?

Vena

Has Capcom had an investors meeting yet that has indicated the investors are dissatisfied with the lack of Switch support thus far?

Investors will be more interested in why everything released bombed. MvCI is a disaster for the reporting.

casiopao

some people and most of the current Capcom defense forces are just focusing about that certain hunting game and forget that,those people refused to release even a bunch of nes roms on a system that most of the audience of those games are on.And don’t let me remind people about that infamous 40$ street fighter port

Yup. Capcom has been burning many goodwill of Nintendo fans.

Nintendo fans probably had bigger expectations toward Capcom after they keep supporting Capcom through all MH release on 3ds and the news that Switch upgraded its specs under Capcom request.

And when nothing come out, dissapointment explode.

WestEgg

Yup. Capcom has been burning many goodwill of Nintendo fans.

Nintendo fans probably had bigger expectations toward Capcom after they keep supporting Capcom through all MH release on 3ds and the news that Switch upgraded its specs under Capcom request.

And when nothing come out, dissapointment explode.

Out of curiosity, and since this is a Japanese sales thread, does anyone know the sentiment towards Capcom in Japan right now? I know the western fan base felt extremely burned by the lack of XX localization, but they did at least get their Switch Monster Hunter, so I can see it not being quite as heated over there.

According to them, the game is only 30% complete, which means it started not that long ago. They would have and could have seen where the NS was going. Not including it signals to me that they don't see that kind of game as worth investing in on the system. Considering that the XBox is likely to get the game, it's crazy that they wouldn't have the NS greenlit right off the bat.

Then, I don't know. I'm sure someone will ask them and they'll have a PR answer to give, but I would really be surprised if the game was announced for Switch and released day-and-date.

EDarkness

Then, I don't know. I'm sure someone will ask them and they'll have a PR answer to give, but I would really be surprised if the game was announced for Switch and released day-and-date.

Heh, they'll ask for fans to let them know they want the game for the NS. ;)

Not that it excuses the other stuff, but if the Smash Bros game that is supposedly coming to Switch is real, Bamco is most likely making that.

casiopao

They like both, they also believe Broly to be the best DB character, Unicorn the best model of Gundam, and Metagross being stronger than MewTwo - at least that's the consensus among my students.

Unicorn does looks cool though. I still hoped for moar Zeon suits of course.^_^

Any Zeon fanbois among ur student there lol?

Fisico

Tales Of has either changed from what the original plan was, or isn't ready for announcement as its an actual attempt to revive the franchise after Berseria rather than drive it further into the dirt.

Nothing changed, they're following the same schedule than they did for Symphonia Unisonant Pack back in 2013, as in announcement -> release only a few months after.

It's also way too early for a new main title considering there is only one team working on new entries at Bandai-Namco.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

While Bamco switch support isn't great, or good even, they at least have a current gen game port on their belt.

The link isn't working for me. Can you re-post it again.

I want to check the lottery info for this week (if there are)

It doesn't work now :( but it worked when i posted it :(

There was no date for the next lotteries, they said that lotteries of September 30th was over and that news for the next lotteries would arrive, as before, no more.

Edit: i notice some mistakes in this top ( http://switchsoku.com/soft/pokemon/12353 ), we need to rectify it,Arms is higher for example 19./22. [NSW] Arms <FTG> (Nintendo) {2017.06.16} (¥5.980) - 3.340 / 232.688

Edit 2:
00./00. [WIU] Pokken Tournament # <FTG> (Pokemon Co.) {2016.03.18} (¥7.200) - * / 179.000

Ok... i erase this top...

Top Bottom