• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously another plane with just a city? Even Kaladesh was set just in Ghirapur.
Karn and Ugin are fantastic, but they cost way too much to be put on the level of Jace/Lili(both, though Karn might just be better) Nahiri isn't a wincon by herself, Dack I blanked on completely because I don't play Legacy, and Garruk is.. alright.
The list goes on, I love AoZ but he's hardly been particularly relevant outside of standard. Lili (otV) isn't a wincon by herself either if you're that strict with Nahiri. Garruk is a core piece for a couple of fringe modern decks.
Like, the way I'm evaluating the power level of the Walkers is : Strong uptick, Strong Downtick, can win you the game by itself when left unchecked. Not put you in a position to win like Tamiyo's Ults but straight up win Jace/Both Lili's effectively have an Ultimate that reads "You win the game" stapled to efficient other abilities. Same goes for Gideon. I'd cut Ajani for Karn though now thinking about it.
By those evaluations Chandra Torch of Defiance should rank fairly high. Her ultimate reads the same.

Daretti 2.0 is pretty great as well.

Magic Story - Trust
* They arrive at the dome, and Jace and Nissa team up to get everyone through.
* A concerned aven questions them, Jace reads his mind to answer them, but he's still suspicious. The aven fetches Temmet.
* Liliana tells Temmet that they were in the desert for a long time on a mission from Bolas. Every time he's mentioned in a conversation, the people involved are expected to praise him. She gets Temmet to take them on a tour.
* They are still waiting for Bolas's return, so he isn't on the plane yet.
* The one domed city they are in is the only civilization on the plane. They have no knowledge of other worlds.
* Everyone in the city is trained as a warrior. Mummies do all manual labor, so if you guys want Exodus, it will have to be Gideon freeing the mummies.
* Chandra keeps asking questions that people on the plane are clearly expected to know the answers to, despite Gideon's glares. Temmet is suspicious, but answers.
* They come across Oketra, the white god, just hanging out and helping children train. The gold mask is her actual face and is capable of blinking and smiling. Gideon is shocked when she kneels to help a child with their stance.
* Gideon is in awe, but he wonders if he could ever trust a god again, after Heliod sent him and his friends to die against Erebos.
* Oketra addresses him by his real name, Kytheon.
* The people worship the gods out of love, not devotion.
* Temmet gives them two rooms to stay in. Gideon wonders how a god like Oketra could be on a plane created by Bolas.
* When they arrive at the rooms, Liliana immediately takes one whole room for herself and shuts the door.
* Chandra asks Gideon about his name, and then asks what a god is. They don't have any on Kaladesh, at least the sort that walk around. Every god she and the others have encountered was either an Eldrazi or an evil Planeswalker. Gideon tries to explain. The others didn't feel anything in particular when they encountered Oketra.
* A woman in the streets shouts about how the trials are a lie, and destruction is coming. Gideon stops Chandra from helping, and the woman is arrested.
* Chandra asks Gideon if he really thinks Oketra isn't lying. He believes there is no deception in her. Jace didn't read her mind because he learned not to attempt it with minds bigger than his.
* Temmet apologizes for the disturbance. They ask him about it, but this is another thing people are just expected to know already, so they don't press him. The fact that he refers to her being from a crop gives them pause.
* In the "night", when only one sun is up, Gideon goes to talk to Oketra.

They have a mind reader. Is Chandra an idiot?
Of course she is, just like the rest of the Jacetice League.

duxstar

So does new gideon still just lose to copycat? The emblem says as long as you control a gideon you cant lose, but they go to attacks send 10 million at you 10 million at gideon , and then you go to -10 million life, gideon dies and you lose the game? Thats the ruling right ?

So other than this being a sideboard card against ad nauseam or storm , wth is the point.

The list goes on, I love AoZ but he's hardly been particularly relevant outside of standard. Lili (otV) isn't a wincon by herself either if you're that strict with Nahiri. Garruk is a core piece for a couple of fringe modern decks.

By those evaluations Chandra Torch of Defiance should rank fairly high. Her ultimate reads the same.

Daretti 2.0 is pretty great as well.
Ally of Zendikar sees play now in Legacy D&T's sideboard though, which is why I'd put him on the List over Garruk. LotV, while not as hard of a "You win" as Jace, is pretty much "Lock you out of the game". Nahiri needs Emrakul to do anything unlike the others. Same goes for Chandra, because the Emblem still needs you to cast spells.

The issue with Chandra is that it's a cast clause, not a play clause. I've seen her hit lands more often then not and it stings to have to miss land drops

Joba62x

Neo Member
I had $60 store credit at CSI, so on lunch break I went and picked up a box for 132.

Ill post my foil goyf tonight when I open it.

So does new gideon still just lose to copycat? The emblem says as long as you control a gideon you cant lose, but they go to attacks send 10 million at you 10 million at gideon , and then you go to -10 million life, gideon dies and you lose the game? Thats the ruling right ?

So other than this being a sideboard card against ad nauseam or storm , wth is the point.

It does nothing against Storm (redirect some of the damage to Gideon and the rest kills the player). It's a little better against Ad Nauseam, but even then they just need to go off with a spare blue mana and have a Void Snare in their deck.

I'm starting to back off the ledge with him. It's like if Platinum Angel had the text "Platinum Angel must block each combat if able."

Bandini

I did well with a case recently. $1,080 in raw value for $744. I think people are insane for not scooping these up asap. Zen fetches won't be coming around again for a long time probs.

Did you get it from a distributor? I would definitely be interested in a case at that price.

Edit: nevermind, apparently a case is only 4 boxes. I thought it was 6. Oh well, I found a pretty good deal on a case on eBay anyway. Thanks to kirblar for the heads up on the CSI boxes, that would have been cheaper but I'd have to pay taxes on those since I live in Florida.

Supast4r

Yeah, he's obviously worse than Ally of Zendikar, but that is maybe top 5 PWs ever.

That's how you win against a Worship invocation in limited x)
I wouldn't say that ally of zendkiar ks better than: this my top 5.

1: Jace tms
2: Liliana of the veil
3: Dack Fayden
4: ugin/karn
5: Nahiri

Supast4r

Top 5 Walkers, as ranked by Standard power level (no other formats)
Jace, The Mind Sculpter
Jace, Vryn's Prodegy
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
Elspeth, Knight Errant
Liliana of the Veil

Top 5 Walkers, format agnostic, historical
Jace, The Mind Sculpter
Liliana of the Veil
Tezzeret the Seeker
Dack Fayden
Jace, Vryn's Prodegy
No tron planeswalker looks highly suspicious... Nahiri is better than Jace vp besides in vintage. Also veil wasn't that dominant in standard.

Ally of Zendikar sees play now in Legacy D&T's sideboard though, which is why I'd put him on the List over Garruk. LotV, while not as hard of a "You win" as Jace, is pretty much "Lock you out of the game". Nahiri needs Emrakul to do anything unlike the others. Same goes for Chandra, because the Emblem still needs you to cast spells.
The issue with Chandra is that it's a cast clause, not a play clause. I've seen her hit lands more often then not and it stings to have to miss land drops

Just seems a bit arbitrary for me. What does it matter whether Nahiri needs emrakul, Lili needs a clock and can't get it for free from your deck. Lili makes a soft lock, there's a myriad of draws that can get you out of her lock.
Chandra still domes 2 when she hits lands and finds spells once she ults. She wins the game on her own just fine.

Dawn looks goddamn amazing, bummer amonkhet wastes all its good artwork.
Noah-Bradley_MTGAKH_Dawn.jpg

bigkrev

No tron planeswalker looks highly suspicious... Nahiri is better than Jace vp besides in vintage. Also veil wasn't that dominant in standard.

Jace was a $100 card because of how absurd he was in Standard while KTK was legal. You might forget cause he was mearly a good card once he lost Fetches and Dig, but he was a nightmare for that year.

Firemind

Jace was a $100 card because of how absurd he was in Standard while KTK was legal. You might forget cause he was mearly a good card once he lost Fetches and Dig, but he was a nightmare for that year.
Was fine with BBE. I tells ya, Shards was hella underrated.

DrArchon

On the subject of planeswalkers, when are we going to see Garruk again? He hasn't shown up since M15, and the last non-core set he was in was Innistrad. I get that he's not exactly in the right frame of mind to join the Gatewatch, but couldn't they do something with him?

He needs something good after getting the "honor" of having the worst 4 ability walker.

Ashodin

This is my yard now.

VG9gBUG.png

holy shit hahahahaha

also this

Then she looked away and he almost lost his balance. She cast her gaze over his companions and her smooth golden brow furrowed ever so slightly. "The rest of you, your fate has not been decided. Not yet."

Yeah Gideon is gonna die

Also reading the story, I'm hyped for Oketra. PLEASE BE GOOD.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh my god he's getting more messianic with every iteration. Is this peak messiah? I think Test of Endurance ultimate would be peak messiah right?

Ashodin

Gideon is absolutely godstruck, holy shit. He is definitely the weak link here on Amonkhet.

Though the other PWs haven't seen the other gods yet, so I'm curious to know if they'll have the same reaction.

And if that's the case, I'd wager the gods are a safety measure for PWs messing on Amonkhet - they enrapture you by appealing to the color you align with the most.

But you know who wouldn't give a shit?

that's right motherfuckers

4.jpg

oh I guess this guy too

1.jpg

Yo that's a good question. Nicol Bolas and Ugin fought once. He gonna show up here or Dominaria?

oh man, new Ugin and Karn on Dominaria? man that's gonna be a nuts set

Ashodin

Nicol Bolas just waiting to cash his Money in the Bank to get on Amonkhet

128.jpg

Seriously another plane with just a city? Even Kaladesh was set just in Ghirapur.

When I read this too I was like wtf!

And the worst part is it's literally a metaphor with how they're doing worldbuilding nowadays. Just put everything in a city and fuck the surroundings, who cares about wildlife or civilization or whatever!

OnPoint

I think I called the Gideon having his faith moment when they revealed the cycling-gain life card in the previous thread.

Glad to see I'm at least able to predict those kinds of things haha

Ashodin

GY hate for Standard I guess.

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THATS THAT SHIT DAM IT EVEN CYCLES

👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good shit

Santiako

That's actually very good.

�������������������� good shit go౦ԁ sHit�� thats ✔ some good����shit right����there������ right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self �� i say so �� thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ�� ���� ��НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ�� ���� �� �� �� �� �� �� ����Good shit

the fuck

OnPoint

�������������������� good shit go౦ԁ sHit�� thats ✔ some good����shit right����there������ right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self �� i say so �� thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ�� ���� ��НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ�� ���� �� �� �� �� �� �� ����Good shit

You've been particularly Ashodin today. This, and the weird repeated top 1/6 of Gideon post... you OK bruh? You wanna talk about it?

Ashodin

I'm just having fun, living my life.

Also good shit is a meme.

And the repeated Gideon post is like this in picture form:

a3c.jpg

I'm excited about graveyard hosing. I fucking hate Ishkanah, that shit is everywhere in my meta. Also I can ice Scrapheap Scroungers for real.

El Topo

I'm sorry Ashodin, but you need some good meme stuff, not just this crap. Go here, breathe in the great meme quality, learn from it, then try again.

Santiako

That card is sideboard limited fodder against Embalm strategies.

The card could be maindeckable thanks to the very cheap cycling cost.

I'm just having fun, living my life.

Also good shit is a meme.

And the repeated Gideon post is like this in picture form:

I'm excited about graveyard hosing. I fucking hate Ishkanah, that shit is everywhere in my meta. Also I can ice Scrapheap Scroungers for real.

Sorry, you just come off as trying way too hard all the time, but you do you.

Ashodin

I'm sorry Ashodin, but you need some good meme stuff, not just this crap. Go here, breathe in the great meme quality, learn from it, then try again.

man I'm old enough that shit is wack

The card could be maindeckable thanks to the very cheap cycling cost.

Sorry, you just come off as trying way too hard all the time, but you do you.

Don't worry, many people say that about me. I'm kind of like Yoshi-chan in a way, I get extremely excited about things. Just without all the "IMMA BREAK SHIT" side.

Twitter just posted the combo

C8q3t-IUIAABJqm.jpg:large
+
C8q3t_bU0AA7b9i.jpg:large

Jhriad

Restoration Angel + Sun Titan = Gids back from the yard.
Ad Nauseam
Infect - Has to either swing through to kill him before poison counters are lethal or
  • UG Infect : Keep up counters
  • BG Infect : Abrupt Decay
Mill - No longer works unless it has planeswalker removal or creatures that can actually get through. That's not most mill decks

EDIT: It also probably affects Burn to some degree since they have to shift resources to killing a walker rather than throwing all the damage to their face.

Santiako

Legacy Cube coming back next week

Last time they depowered it, now they are repowering it

Legacy Cube will return on April 12, but this update entails a bit of a shake-up. Back in September, we made a big change to the cube: cutting iconic broken cards like Show and Tell, Sneak Attack, and Natural Order in favor of cards that push toward playing "regular Magic." Many players prefer that baseline gameplay—that's why it's our baseline. With the Vintage Cube pushing so hard toward doing broken things, we wanted to ensure those players had a cube tailored to them. But with the addition of the Modern Cube Natalie Weizenbaum created, the Legacy Cube no longer has to pick up that slack. We also want to make things for those of you who prefer playing with the powerful and iconic cards of Magic's history, and much like Legacy itself, the Legacy Cube is a prime spot to let you do just that.

The cube says Legacy right in the name, after all, so as of Wednesday you can Sneak Attack in Emrakul, the Aeons Torn; search up Batterskull with Stoneforge Mystic; and Natural Order out a Craterhoof Behemoth. And those aren't the only changes! The cube now features the Mirran Swords, the full cycle of fast lands, and a few newcomers from Aether Revolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom