• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

TVexperto

Stolen from Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/60c4po/more_beta_keys_added_to_alpha_beta_gamer/

http://www.alphabetagamer.com/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-beta-key-giveaway-steam/
1. Go to the website
2. Click the button at the bottom to let them use cookies
3. Reload the page
4. Click one of the three ?s
5. Follow their things on twitter
6. write your twitter @whatever name in the box
7. Click the next one, repeat 5&6
8. Steam key should pop up, copy it to the redeem thing in steam

Downloading now.
This doesnt work

Tecnniqe

Banned
Anyone know what this 4gb update for the beta is for?
In order to address our connectivity issues, we will be applying client and server patches at 4 AM PDT / 12 PM CET. This means the servers will go do down for an hour and you will also need to download an update from Steam before you can play again. If you see the "Client/Server version mismatch" error message, please try updating the game on Steam before reconnecting. Servers will be back up at 5 AM PDT / 1 PM CET. Thank you for your understanding!

JDB

Banned
Silly kill I got earlier:

0JRFlfY.gif

Also won a match while I was outside the circle because other people died about one second before I was going to die myself :D

660ec0f66815037ec36654c9bb176cae.png

Only just found out about this a few days ago and it looks awesome. Unlike the other games similar to this it all looks so well made. In terms of both graphics and gameplay it looks better than to the other games like this.

£30 seems a bit expensive but it looks like something i'd get eventually. Are any keys being given away or is that not going to happen as it's releasing tommorow?

SamuraiX-

Oh baby...

mOZSaVj.png

They know how to tease.

P.S. Product keys should be rolling in for everyone who pre-ordered. Mine was emailed to me about 4-5 hours ago, along with a message from the man himself:

Players,

It's almost here! After weeks of beta testing and tremendous support from our community, I'm thrilled to say that PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS (PUBG) will be launching onto Steam's Early Access on 3/23 at 8 AM PDT / 4 PM CET!

During Early Access we will continue to give full transparency to our community and will use that time to make adjustments and additions based on their feedback. We plan to be in Early Access for less than six months as we implement and finalize the modding tools and ready a fully polished Battle Royale Experience.

I owe a lot to our players and community that have supported me and PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS throughout our Alpha and Beta tests. Without your feedback and encouragement, I don't think I would be as excited as I am to head to Early Access!

Thank you again and I hope to see you in game.

Sincerely,
PLAYERUNKNOWN

I've been watching some gameplay, is there a point to the non-armoured clothing options? Do they do anything or are they just for cosmetic reasons?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Patch Notes

Known issues
  • Characters may seem like they are shaking when in spectate mode.
  • For non-English settings some of the game texts may still show in English
  • Collision checks on destructed doors may not be in line with how they look

Performance & Stability
  • Server stabilizations and client performance improvements are constantly worked on.
  • Slightly improved the issue that caused massive numbers of players to get disconnected from a game
  • The lights have been reworked so that the destruction of doors do not interfere with the server performance
  • Reworked some issues that were causing client crashes

New content
  • A new weapon, the SKS has been added to the game
  • It will appear on a rare drop rate
  • 2 new face presets have been added (1 male, 1 female)

Action
  • Parachute controls have been improved
UI
  • You are now able to sort your items in your inventory

Others
  • 9 new languages have been added and now we offer the game in 13 languages total. There may be some additional languages, we will be constantly adjusting them throughout Early Access.
  • The Exclusive items for pre ordering the Deluxe Edition are available as an in-game redeem function
  • Slightly adjusted the balance on end-game rewards

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed the bug that caused the scope aim to seem different than the actual when spectating
  • Fixed the bug that caused the end-game results screen to not appear when spectating and all your teammates die
  • Fixed the bug that caused the indoorfootsteps sounds to be too low
  • Fixed the bug that caused stats from other game modes to be applied between Solos, Duos and Squads

via sekrit
Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/Wm5mEJQ.png[/img]

CSI people: Penoxi-Senpai; Sacriel42nd's community

Nivert

Are they planning to release skins for weapons?

I don't think they've specifically stated anything about weapon skins but they have mentioned skins. It might end up just being clothing related stuff.

We do have our points system in the game so the way that will work is you get points for winning you’ll be able to spend those points on various things to customise your character.
We’re looking at a crates system like CS:GO. I believe that for that to be successful you have to create a good economy, the CS:GO economy rewards you for playing the game.
We’ll have skin crates, it’s a really good way to keep the game fun basically.
It’s a proven method of monetization, it’s just for visuals, there is no pay-to-win element to it, it’s just to make your character look cool.

kabel

Got my pre-order key, it was in the spam folder. So check it if you still have not received it.

also no pre-load? :(
I mean 10GB ist for me like 30min but other people will have to wait hours.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Got my pre-order key, it was in the spam folder. So check it if you still have not received it.

also no pre-load? :(
I mean 10GB ist for me like 30min but other people will have to wait hours.

I'm told its because EA don't allow Pre-Load so :3

CryptiK

Managed to end number 2 on the leaderboards for Asia at the end of early access, was soo close to number 1 :< Cant wait for Thursday going to stream it.

I've only watched some gameplay for now, but can someone explain how this is in any waya "Massively Multiplayer" game? I've seen that there is 100 players in a match but that isn't usually what determines if a game is an MMO or not. Unless i've missed something it's instanced matches that are created and end when no one is on the server, it's no an MMO than something like Battlefield or Mount & Blade is when they have lots of players on a server.

RulkezX

I've only watched some gameplay for now, but can someone explain how this is in any waya "Massively Multiplayer" game? I've seen that there is 100 players in a match but that isn't usually what determines if a game is an MMO or not. Unless i've missed something it's instanced matches that are created and end when no one is on the server, it's no an MMO than something like Battlefield or Mount & Blade is when they have lots of players on a server.

It's 100 man death match where you get 1 life.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Massive multiplayer is usually describing games with hundred or more players in an instance, not to be confused with MMORPGs which are different in their structure.

The game currently have 100 people per server, which is massive and multiplayer.

The game itself describes it as:

• Multi-player
  • Online Multi-Player
  • Stats

While the popular user tags are:

• Early Access
  • Massively Multiplayer
  • Survival
  • Action
  • Open World
  • Violent
  • Multiplayer
  • Adventure
  • Shooter
  • PvP
  • FPS
  • Third-Person Shooter

Massive multiplayer is usually describing games with hundred or more players in an instance, not to be confused with MMORPGs which are different in their structure.

The game currently have 100 people per server, which is massive and multiplayer.

The game itself describes it as:

• Multi-player
  • Online Multi-Player
  • Stats

While the popular user tags are:

• Early Access
  • Massively Multiplayer
  • Survival
  • Action
  • Open World
  • Violent
  • Multiplayer
  • Adventure
  • Shooter
  • PvP
  • FPS
  • Third-Person Shooter

I was under the impression that "MMO" means the same as "Massively Multiplayer", just people seem to think "MMO" means the same as "MMORPG" all the time. For example Planetside 2 is an MMO but not an MMORPG.

It isn't just the large amount of players that determines if a game is "Massively Multiplayer" from what i've seen, it's also whether it has a persistent world/server. Going back to the Planetside example, the map is still there and still continuing even if no one else was there, but with something like Mount & Blade Warband it doesn't suddenly become an MMO despite having 200 player battles.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I was under the impression that "MMO" means the same as "Massively Multiplayer", just people seem to think "MMO" means the same as "MMORPG" all the time. For example Planetside 2 is an MMO but not an MMORPG.

It isn't just the large amount of players that determines if a game is "Massively Multiplayer" from what i've seen, it's also whether it has a persistent world/server. Going back to the Planetside example, the map is still there and still continuing even if no one else was there, but with something like Mount & Blade Warband it doesn't suddenly become an MMO despite having 200 player battles.

The O just means Online but the term MMO is not exclusive to persistent worlds.

The closest comparison you'll find is as a MMOFPS/TPS in which it is a large scale map with the option for team based action and combat while adding the persistence via experience, or in this case BP, which is used to open boxes with loot, which as far as I know is only cosmetic.

It emphasizes the player ability over anything than say an MMORPG which is usually heavily gear and stat dependent as well.

You can also argue the leaderboard and stats make it "persistent".

I wouldn't draw the comparison to a MMORPG, but due to the number of players and its light progression mechanics it does fall under the MM(O) umbrella. Even the older games in the genre only had like 60-64 players in them I believe.

TL;DR The word Massive Multiplayer Online is about as meaningful as MOBA; A lot of games fit under the term technically and there is no "true" definition, only typically the way they work but not limited too.

The O just means Online but the term MMO is not exclusive to persistent worlds.

The closest comparison you'll find is as a MMOFPS/TPS in which it is a large scale map with the option for team based action and combat while adding the persistence via experience, or in this case BP, which is used to open boxes with loot, which as far as I know is only cosmetic.

It emphasizes the player ability over anything than say an MMORPG which is usually heavily gear and stat dependent as well.

You can also argue the leaderboard and stats make it "persistent".

I wouldn't draw the comparison to a MMORPG, but due to the number of players and its light progression mechanics it does fall under the MM(O) umbrella. Even the older games in the genre only had like 60-64 players in them I believe.

TL;DR The word Massive Multiplayer Online is about as meaningful as MOBA; A lot of games fit under the term technically and there is no "true" definition, only typically the way they work but not limited too.

By persistence in MMOs i wasn't referring to your character or stats or anything like that, it's the world itself that's persistent. Things like leveling, stats etc are RPG elements and when those gameplay elements are put into an online shared, persistent map with a lot of players it then becomes an MMORPG. Same thing with Planetside 2 like i mentioned, it's the usual multiplayer gameplay, but the difference between that and something like battlefield is it has both a persistent world/server itself (how it's continuous and ongoing, it isn't suddenly created once someone joins and doesn't disappear when it's empty) and the large amount of players, and that's something that also applies to MMORPGs, which is what i was getting at.

Basically, the thing games that are definitely MMOs like World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, Planetside 2, Elder Scrolls Online, the Final Fantasy MMO, Star Wars Galaxies, The Old Republic etc have in common with each other is that they have persistent servers. If all that was required to be an MMO was "It's multiplayer with lots of people" then suddenly Counter Strike, Team Fortress 2, the Battlefield series, Red Orchestra 2, Mount & Blade warband and a huge amount of other games would class as MMOs.

In this case while 100 players is a lot, it's missing the other important part that's typical of MMOs in that it has no persistent world, the servers are just created when needed, and for that reason it doesn't seem to be an MMO. "Massively Multiplayer" (or more specifically MMO) isn't a term that should just be interpreted literally.

Nivert

In this case while 100 players is a lot, it's missing the other important part that's typical of MMOs in that it has no persistent world, the servers are just created when needed, and for that reason it doesn't seem to be an MMO. "Massively Multiplayer" (or more specifically MMO) isn't a term that should just be interpreted literally.

You're just thinking about it wrong. It's only massively multiplayer in that it has 100 people per game.

It's not an MMO.

You're just thinking about it wrong. It's only massively multiplayer in that it has 100 people per game.

It's not an MMO.

How? i thought "Massively Multiplayer" and MMO are the same thing, MMO is short for a "Massively Multiplayer online" game. I don't remember seeing anything about the two terms being different before; people tend to use "MMO" to refer specifically to "MMORPGs" but that isn't really an accurate use of the term.

Looking at the store page for this there's no mention at all by the developers of it being "Massively Multiplayer or anything along those lines", that's a term the community has tagged it with. Either way they're both terms that seem so vague they're thrown onto things pretty much at random. Even something like War Thunder with like 20 vs 20 matches (can't remember exactly) is an "MMO" according to the developers.

Penox

From Sammie, the "CM"/Partnerships Manager
If you pre-ordered, and received an email from Xsolla:

1. Please do not delete the email. If you have ordered the Deluxe Edition, you will need to use the same code in the Rewards menu to get your set of PLAYERUNKNOWN skins.

2. If you already did, please contact h.xsolla.com for support.

3. If you have any issues including code redemption, you can also contact h.xsolla.com.

Tecnniqe

Banned
How? i thought "Massively Multiplayer" and MMO are the same thing, MMO is short for a "Massively Multiplayer online" game. I don't remember seeing anything about the two terms being different before; people tend to use "MMO" to refer specifically to "MMORPGs" but that isn't really an accurate use of the term.

Looking at the store page for this there's no mention at all by the developers of it being "Massively Multiplayer or anything along those lines", that's a term the community has tagged it with. Either way they're both terms that seem so vague they're thrown onto things pretty much at random. Even something like War Thunder with like 20 vs 20 matches (can't remember exactly) is an "MMO" according to the developers.
Idk what to tell you outside what I already said. 100 people servers are looked at as massive and it's a multiplayer game hence massively multiplayer. Nothing more behind it and games like CSGO are not massive. 64 player BF, maybe, but to qualify for massive I'd say you need at least 90+ but that's just me.
Lol

Idk what to tell you outside what I already said. 100 people servers are looked at as massive and it's a multiplayer game hence massively multiplayer. Nothing more behind it and games like CSGO are not massive. 64 player BF, maybe, but to qualify for massive I'd say you need at least 90+ but that's just me.

Lol

As i said before, "Massively Multiplayer" is not a term that should just be interpreted literally. I haven't even found anywhere the developers themselves have called it that, anyway. They just say it's an online multiplayer game.

Regardless i really hope this ends up doing well. What i've seen of it so far looks awesome and i've not even really played this style of game before. The price seems pretty high unfortunately but i'm still sort of tempted to get it anyway.

Beyond the list of planned features, have they said much about what sort of thing they're hoping to add to the game?

Tecnniqe

Banned
As i said before, "Massively Multiplayer" is not a term that should just be interpreted literally. I haven't even found anywhere the developers themselves have called it that, anyway. They just say it's an online multiplayer game.

Regardless i really hope this ends up doing well. What i've seen of it so far looks awesome and i've not even really played this style of game before. The price seems pretty high unfortunately but i'm still sort of tempted to get it anyway.

Beyond the list of planned features, have they said much about what sort of thing they're hoping to add to the game?
Best source of info straight from the man himself is via https://youtube.com/watch?v=EbHUASBS0Y8
As they talk about the game. Not much of announcements and there's probably a better compiled list somewhere but not that I have on hand.

Also is $29.99 a lot these days? Seems cheap for a game you can get 100s of hours worth in.

Top Bottom