• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most unpopular opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veedot

Not mine but my best friend claims Eureka Seven AO is not as bad as everyone thinks. I don't have an opinion because I'm still working through the original series but i've seen massive hate for AO

mrplaid

So in your Sci Fi/Fantasy scenario would the after effects of said egg cells being all angry for not being fertilized and their determination to get revenge somehow be lessened by said "Suppression Field" or simply men get off on not having to worry about anything because their sperm conveniently becomes sterile during said "activation periods"? -grumble-

Clearly we have some bugs we need to work out. Don't worry, though! The patriarchy's got your back! Because when the field is active, menstruation will pass as softly as a whisper through the ears of a ghost made of the memories of a unicorn's final breath. We can't explain it, it just works that way.

MikeyB

The root of greed, vanity, and wrath is status-seeking, which is ultimately driven by what is perceived to be the preferences of whomever the status-seeker is into.

In a relevant example, if my opinion is right, Weinstein's power didn't come before the predatory behaviour. His desire to gain the physical affection of women drove him to be a producer.

Many of you are going to hate me.

-This argument that leftists paint themselves as the good guys that can do no wrong. Like, I've known some very democratic people that were sexist, homophobic, and racist and calling yourself a liberal while pointing fingers at others doesn't hide the fact that you can be just as a monster as the people on the right you claim to be better than. It's so easy to call someone a misogynist or a (slang)phobe when you assume no one will know your dirty laundry. Oh, and before someone accuses me, I voted Hilary reluctantly knowing full well the ramifications and guilt I'd feel for voting for Trump.

-I also know people who are conservative that are the most nicest giving people on the planet, the last people I thought would help me with small favors when the chips are down. There are grey areas people refuse to see and take things by a case by case basis so they'd insist on taking that broad brush and painting even the slightest disagreement as a whole "you're with them" angle. This is how racism is created, by generalizing a whole group of people over a vocal minority. Think about it.

-Hate weed culture, maybe it's a young thing, but when you're in your 30s, with a wife and kids and you're the one sitting at home with no job being a leech you're a loser. My old class mate and a few alumni fit this to a Tee.

-Can't stand beer, like I wish there were more adult activities to do instead of just drinking and drugs. Never saw the appeal.

-People arguing over pineapple on pizza are the brattiest people on the planet. No one asked for your opinion so keep it to yourself eh?

-

Valhelm

contribute something
Stranger Things was pretty different but not amazing

Hell or High Water didn't deserve all the praise

Post Malone isn't doing anything original or interesting

Mac Demarco is pretty boring and is only popular because he tapped-in to a specific mid-2010s white kid aesthetic

Most of Cat Power's music is very bad

Ketkat

-This argument that leftists paint themselves as the good guys that can do no wrong. Like, I've known some very democratic people that were sexist, homophobic, and racist and calling yourself a liberal while pointing fingers at others doesn't hide the fact that you can be just as a monster as the people on the right you claim to be better than. It's so easy to call someone a misogynist or a (slang)phobe when you assume no one will know your dirty laundry. Oh, and before someone accuses me, I voted Hilary reluctantly knowing full well the ramifications and guilt I'd feel for voting for Trump.

This is a super hypocrital point. You voting HIllary doesn't somehow make you a good person just like the people you're accusing.

-I also know people who are conservative that are the most nicest giving people on the planet, the last people I thought would help me with small favors when the chips are down. There are grey areas people refuse to see and take things by a case by case basis so they'd insist on taking that broad brush and painting even the slightest disagreement as a whole "you're with them" angle. This is how racism is created, by generalizing a whole group of people over a vocal minority. Think about it.

-Hate weed culture, maybe it's a young thing, but when you're in your 30s, with a wife and kids and you're the one sitting at home with no job being a leech you're a loser. My old class mate and a few alumni fit this to a Tee.

-Can't stand beer, like I wish there were more adult activities to do instead of just drinking and drugs. Never saw the appeal.

-People arguing over pineapple on pizza are the brattiest people on the planet. No one asked for your opinion so keep it to yourself eh?

-
I think I'm far left of most people here, and I agree with all of this (except the "this is how racism is created"... eeessh). There are Christians in the Bible belt I know who I trust and respect far more than most liberals I meet, because they live their ideals instead of just talking about them. Some conservative Christians have shown up in my worst moments to lift me up when no one else would, and I don't forget it.

Motörhead sucks

I.....what?

Pantera is shit. Finally....

Metallica is the most overrated Metal band on the planet. They get too much credit and their influence on Metal is near negligible, especially extreme metal. They had four great albums, everything else they did was straight up garbage. Metallica's Metallica is Nickelback in 1991.

GamerJM

Banned
Going to say away from gaming/food since I have literally hundreds of those.

Dunkirk was complete garbage and the only thing redeeming about it was the fantastic cinematography, which I have trouble enjoying if literally nothing about the rest of the film is compelling to me. It might be the film which has the biggest gap between reception and my opinion of it ever.

Weezer's post-Pinkerton stuff is at least fun to listen to if nothing else.

Sam's Town was a fine followup to Hot Fuss.

The freedom you have as an adult is extremely overrated (provided your parents weren't abusive and you had an at least middle class childhood). The ability to drink, have sex, and own your own place isn't worth having to deal with real stress, and I would go back to being a kid any day of the week.

GAF is a fantastic website but it's too big for its own good sometimes and the way things are organized kinda sucks. I wish OTs weren't a thing and every game/OT subject had their own separate board like on GameFAQs.

Netflix isn't worth the subscription money. Neither is Spotify Premium. Also at risk of sounding like someone from r/lewronggeneration I get a little annoyed at how many people my age seem to have abandoned physical media entirely.

Exercise and eating healthy are completely miserable, and putting real time and effort into doing both isn't worth it (at least once you get past the point of not having serious health issues/not being obese, you should eat healthy/exercise enough so that those things don't happen).

Meme humor can still be really funny, but it's become way too ironic and depressing for its own good. I miss 2000s era "Can I haz cheeseburger"-style memes. Also, website layouts in the 2000s were largely a lot better (though GAF is one of the exceptions there).

Marvel movies are by-and-large really good, and the GotG films in particular might my favorites of the decade outright.

Drake has probably been involved with like, maybe 5 at most tracks that weren't a complete and utter garbage fire.

Indiana Jones is a mediocre series.

Even if everyone had a theoretically completely equal chance to succeed in life (i.e. we lived in a fictional world where systems of racism, classism, sexism, etc. didn't exist and literally everyone had the same starting opportunities in life), capitalism would still be a horrendous system simply because the endgame of it is always one person having a better life than others based upon their accomplishments which generate monetary revenue, which is a really arbitrary way to measure the benefits a person has brought into the world.

The best anime and visual novels tell much more compelling stories than any live-action films.

Twitter's character limit sucks, and I wish all of the good people on there would like, write longform blogposts every now and then or something instead.

People who care a lot about the weather on a day-to-day basis in California are weird (unpopular opinion among Californian natives like myself).

Vaporwave is a legit genre of music.

The earbuds (like, the ones that used to come with iPods or whatever) are way more comfortable than headphones.

The bus system in the bay area isn't that bad.

The actual act of programming is completely miserable and I'd rather work a minimum wage fast food job than work as a software engineer. I don't know if the first part of this is actually controversial, but a lot of people seem to circlejerk computer science/engineer majors, most seem to be pretty positive about what they do, and I see way more people say they wish they went down that path (even people in decent professions like accountants or w/e) than I do software engineers say they wish they did something else.

Starship-"We Built This City," Backstreet Boys-"I Want It That Way," LFO-"Summer Girls," and Bowling For Soup-"1985," are all legit classics that are way more catchy than they are annoying. 90s boy bands in general have aged way more gracefully than they had any right to.

Tumblr gets way too much shit.

OKCupid has quite a few issues problems but I like the way it's designed.

LMFAO made legitimately good music, even as someone who doesn't party/drink so I can't relate to a lot of what they sing about.

The Rolling Stones were decent at best.

"Chappie," was a really solid film.

"Batman vs. Superman," was okay overall, though it had a LOT of issues. Part of me feels like I prefer it to Wonder Woman if I'm being honest, though on most days I'd probably disagree with that.

I know I said I wouldn't do anything gaming related, but video games are by far the most entertaining type of media out there.

I think there should be a basic universal income just on principle, but really the biggest reason I want it is just so I can be a NEET.

College sucks socially and academically, though my opinion there is colored by a lot of specific choices I made.

Unbounded

Just because someone generally agrees with whatever ideology you may have doesn't mean you shouldn't call them out on their bullshit and pretend it doesn't happen.

Unpopular on GAF, definitely.

I'm a libertarian, a life member of the NRA, and a Latin-mass attending traditionalist Catholic. So yeah...gimme my God and guns.

I am a non-interventionist on foreign policy, though....which some of Gaf's lefties agree with. I used to like posting here, I found it was a good place to joust with ideological opponents in good faith. I have pulled back over the last few years though, as ad hominem has become the norm rather than the exception.

Yes.

Another unpopular opinion I have: I am very patriotic. I love the United States of America, and I'm a deeply proud American. I think that despite very real problems that need to be addressed (which can only happen if we as citizens and our politicians all work together), this is still a fantastic country to live in. And I'd rather live nowhere else but here.

I am very respectful of those that highlight problems in this country; awareness is the first step to solving problems. But the people that blindly hate on the US, well... Live and let live, I guess. You do you.

Geist-

Locally, just about every liberal thought in my head (plus atheism). It sucks where I live.

An unpopular opinion in general? I think government should be replaced by a benevolent artificial intelligence, as humanity has proven it is unable to govern itself without discrimination and bigotry for certain minority groups.

Locally, just about every liberal thought in my head (plus atheism). It sucks where I live.

An unpopular opinion in general? I think government should be replaced by a benevolent artificial intelligence, as humanity has proven it is unable to govern itself without discrimination and bigotry for certain minority groups.
We'd make that AI, though. We eventually always get a good look at ourselves in the mirror.

Brakke

Banned
It's an assumption that any governing artificial intelligence we create isn't programmed with a human tendency to discriminate based on arbitrary traits. Of course humans could still fuck it up.

This is a complete misunderstanding of how machine learning and AI work. The whole design is to discriminate on arbitrary traits.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
New unpopular opinion: I think people who hate rap music are either racist (at the very least, have a healthy disrespect for modern black culture) or don't really know what they're talking about.
Well, I think people who call others racist for disliking a style of music are comically and insultingly out of touch with reality.

Canada is top 5 worst/most evil countries of all time
Top 5? Ridiculous.

99Luffy

Banned
Afflecks Daredevil was a great movie and youll never find a kingpin better than Michael clark duncan.

Ive yet to meet anyone who feels the same way. Even the lady I used to work with who bought all resident evils on dvd at full price.

Some Nobody

Well, I think people who call others racist for disliking a style of music are comically and insultingly out of touch with reality.

Think what you want. I just hear the same snotty, dismissive attitudes about hip-hop all the time and it usually just comes down to having a problem with black culture or simply being hilariously misinformed. It gets even worse if those people are somehow cool with Jazz or Motown, or whatever form of black culture they're comfortable with.

Don't tell me all rap is misogynist. Lauryn Hill disagrees. Fuck that, Rapsody disagrees. (Plenty of other women and men in the industry too.)

Don't tell me it's not intellectual. Lupe Fiasco disagrees. Kendrick disagrees. (Also Lauryn Hill, Rapsody.)

I've never heard a reason to dislike rap that didn't come down to "Well, what I hear on the radio..." which is garbage. And I mean, I don't care when people say "most rap sucks". I let it go 'cause I mean...you could name 20+ artists and still not have named most rappers. But all rap? Stop thyself.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
1. Nazi Germany
2. Stalinist Russia
3. Maoist China
4. Apartheid South Africa
5. Pre 1970s Canada
Makes sense. #5 way ahead of North Korea, Saudi Arabia, South Sudan, Iran, Libya...

Think what you want. I just hear the same snotty, dismissive attitudes about hip-hop all the time and it usually just comes down to having a problem with black culture. It gets even worse if those people are somehow cool with Jazz or Motown, or whatever form of black culture they're comfortable with.
Guess I shouldn't mention I hate those too. xD

Hating a music style has nothing to do with being racist, even if a style is predominantly played by people of a certain race. People who hate J-pop aren't racist either. GTFO

Don't tell me all rap is misogynist. Lauryn Hill disagrees. Fuck that, Rapsody disagrees.

Don't tell me it's not intellectual. Lupe Fiasco disagrees. Kendrick disagrees. (Also Lauryn Hill, Rapsody.)

I've never heard a reason to dislike rap that didn't come down to "Well, what I hear on the radio..." which is garbage. And I mean, I don't care when people say "most rap sucks". I let it go 'cause I mean...you could name 20+ artists and still not have named most rappers. But all rap? Stop thyself.
I don't know why you're arguing against things I never said. I don't hate rap because of misogyny or anti-intellectualism (lol, I listen to metal FFS), but because I hate rapped vocals.

That's it.

Adnor

Banned
I use soap in my entire body, not just the "stinky parts".

I never knew it was unpopular until that other GAF thread lmao

Mr-Joker

Banned
I feel that Star Wars is an over rated mediocre movie with Darth Vader being an overblown villain within pop culture.

I also feel that the movies lack any depth and just feel so shallow.

Some Nobody

Makes sense. #5 way ahead of North Korea, Saudi Arabia, South Sudan, Iran, Libya...

Guess I shouldn't mention I hate those too. xD

Hating a music style has nothing to do with being racist, even if a style is predominantly played by people of a certain race. People who hate J-pop aren't racist either. GTFO

I don't know why you're arguing against things I never said. I don't hate rap because of misogyny or anti-intellectualism (lol, I listen to metal FFS), but because I hate rapped vocals.

That's it.

Metal ONLY? Ew. Gross.

This thread is doing wonders for exposing a lot of "woe is me, people are judgmental of the fact I prioritise my own comfort over the wellbeing of others" type bullshit.

Put it all on the scale.

Social justice. Equality. Human rights. Civil liberties. Racism. Sexism. Bigotry. The environment. The economy. Everything society is founded on and impeded by and more.

If you somehow still justify siding with conservatives and bigots, you're a waste of a vote and a trash human being, and the time of trying to educate you on what really matters is past. I'll be happy to see society to leave you behind.

Ain't no goddamn excuse to vote Republican because you believe in non-intervention foreign policy or the Second Amendment or fiscal conservatism or whatever the fuck you tell yourself to feel better about supporting policies that cost lives and put lives in jeopardy so long as you're nice and comfy.

1upsuper

I hate watching sports. Every time someone refers to the accomplishments of the team they like with the pronouns "we" or "us" I roll my eyes. "We're going to the Sports Bowl!" No. You have nothing to do with the team you like.

I knew someone who would scream and tear his house apart when "his" team lost and I thought he was acting like a petulant manchild. Why are some sports fans like that? I cannot understand it at all. I can't imagine screaming over such a passive hobby.

MC Safety

Star Wars is for children.

Empire Strikes Back is not the best Star Wars film. In fact, it's pretty dull after the opening sequence and based wholly on the ridiculous notion that Han Solo and Chewbacca broke the hyperdrive and neither they nor anyone else (including robots and mechanics at the base) can fix it.

Boba Fett gets killed by a blind guy with a stick which is fitting for an embarrassing bit player like Boba Fett.

Laieon

I hate watching sports. Every time someone refers to the accomplishments of the team they like with the pronouns "we" or "us" I roll my eyes. "We're going to the Sports Bowl!" No. You have nothing to do with the team you like.

I don't mind watching some sports (Basketball and Hockey comes to mind. I think Football and Soccer are both absolutely, mind-numbingly dull though). This annoys me as well though.

I knew someone who would scream and tear his house apart when "his" team lost and I thought he was acting like a petulant manchild. Why are some sports fans like that? I cannot understand it at all. I can't imagine screaming over such a passive hobby.

GO LAKERS!!!

The Witcher 3 is a terrible game, emphasis on game. I don't get people who say the combat is good or satisfactory, I think they're either lying or being a defensive fan boy

Star Wars is boring shit

Ditto for Game of Thrones

I hate gamers and gamer culture

More options are always good is a cop out argument that can be said about anything, ever

Anyone who posted that who.gif deserves to get slapped with a dildo, in the time it took you to post that gif you could have googled the person

I hate nerd culture

I hate meme culture

I hate social media /instagram/snapchat or whichever I can pin the blame on me waiting around for everyone to finish taking a picture of their food when we're eating

I hate smarks

I hate people who use South Park /stand up comics as legitimate arguments. PC principal, Dave Chappelle dress like a whore etc

I hate nostalgia culture, you're a grown adult, stop chasing shit you liked as a kid. You're supposed to grow up, not grow older. If you've said the words "ruined my childhood" and were serious about it, you're an idiot who deserves a slap

I don't get music, never bought a single music album/song/music player...

This decade is just the 90s again.

I don't get how anyone in this day and age smoke. This ain't the 50s where the health risks were up in the air, you know full well the dangers. If you smoke near kids/animals you should be arrested. Alcohol and drugs at least alter your mood and behaviour

I generally think this site is shit. But it's the least shittiest gaming site!

dude, you're supposed to get over this "overt / irrational contrarian" streak after university...

[please god tell me you're not a full grown adult yet]

even when i was "into sports" [few brief periods, SO over that bullshit], this ALWAYS aggravated me - YOU ARE NOT ON THE TEAM STOP USING THOSE PRONOUNS YOU FAT LOSER.

Laiza

Cheese is the most disgusting thing on the face of this earth.
More disgusting than feces, most members of the insect family, rotting flesh, or humankind's various and sundry excesses?

Sounds like a case of First World Problems...

Nev

Banned
Bruno Mars, Coldplay, Beyonce and Ed Sheeran are complete musical garbage and I actively despite their trashy output.

I'd 100% honestly listen to Justin Bieber instead.

Not the most unpopular though.

I'm late to this but you guys on page 3 saying you hate shorts need to spend sometime in Georgia or Florida during the summer. It got 108 where I live this summer and going outside without shorts was like a death warrant.

On Topic: I think guns need to restricted as much as the next guy but you guys go to far on here sometimes. I don't see anything wrong with people owning rifles for hunting of pistols locked up in their homes. Of course these guns need to be registered and I also think Bullets need registration numbers at this point but taking away everyone's gun isn't happening anytime soon in the south. Hell I know a guy that walks around with a gun on his side like he is any danger of getting his rights taken away and he is a blond haired blue eyed white guy. We need to have federal laws for consealed and carry. We need an assault weapons ban. But all out gun ban isn't going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom