• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel 2 - answers are coming Oct 4th

snap

Banned
We've reached diminishing returns when it comes to thinness. Anything below 8 mm thick is thin enough and leaves ample space for a headphone jack. There are Chinese phones more than 2 years old that are less than 5 mm thick and still manage to retain a headphone jack.

those older phones have far smaller batteries, though. 3000 mAh batteries need room

jwhit28

I still find it disappointing that Google has moved away from cheaper phones. Pixel does nothing to me since it's soooooo out of my budget range.

I'm hoping they announce the Android One program for the US and adds a <$400 phone to project Fi.

Audioboxer

No headphone jack, no buy. Thank goodness Android is open source. My S6 contract ends next month. Will probably go with a OnePlus 5/5T.

Android using Exynos in everything now means shite development due to closed sources. Snapdragon or bust.

Ash735

those older phones have far smaller batteries, though. 3000 mAh batteries need room

> They need to ditch the jack to make it thinner
> The phone needs a 3000mAh battery so it can't be thinner

How I'm imagining you right now:
giphy.gif

the more i look at that picture the more disappointed i am, google need to get on the phone to sammy coz htc are so 2015 and lg make big ugly slabs. the s8 with pure android but pixel camera wizardry would be amazing, hopefully they get it right next year.

LogicStep

the more i look at that picture the more disappointed i am, google need to get on the phone to sammy coz htc are so 2015 and lg make big ugly slabs. the s8 with pure android but pixel camera wizardry would be amazing, hopefully they get it right next year.
Well that's subjective. I think the V30 looks very nice and the Pixel 2 XL looks to be the same phone? I'm most likely going to get one.

Yeah, then why do you care? It obviously seems like the phone is overwhelmingly going to be a disappointment for you.

I came from a 7+ to a Pixel XL and I love it much more than the iPhone. Luckily I got mines for free &#128591;&#127998;

I'm platform agnostic. I go with the best phone at the time when I need one.

The Pixel was a huge disappointment and wasn't even shipping when it was time for me to go with a phone. I couldn't have bought it even if I wanted to. That render of the Pixel XL2 looks nice, but it's not beyond the pale to suggest there were some major shortcomings the first one had that need to be addressed.

Socreges

Banned
There are Google employees who are using this phone day to day. So inevitably information would get leaked and likely that information would be accurate.

So for anyone saying 'I hope the rumours aren't true!', draw your own conclusions.

No headphone jack and it's still super pricey for me. The no jack thing particularly doesn't work for me as my car is old but happens to have a radio with an AUX jack so I can still listen to my Google Play Music through the cable.

I'm interested and do kind of want a new phone, but also not in a huge rush to get rid of my Nexus 6P.

Bought the lady friend a Pixel last year and it's a great phone. I'll probably crack if the Pixel 2 impresses despite having no headphone jack... using an adapter isn't that big of a deal imo. We'll see.

Wollan

Was there any truth to Google investing in internal chip making? Qualcomm is laughably far behind Apple at this point.

Just got a GS8+ so I doubt I'll care about the Pixel XL 2. I'm sure it'll be a beast and I hope they have deals with carriers outside of just Verizon.

Daedardus

Was there any truth to Google investing in internal chip making? Qualcomm is laughably far behind Apple at this point.

And you're basing this on what? Apple's own conferences? Last time I checked the 835 still performs well compared to competitors.

Audioboxer

Give me a reason to switch from apple Google. GIVE ME A REASON!

A headphone jack... Oh, wait. Thanks Google.

Honestly is Beats going around slipping millions into the pockets of Google and Apple to try and kill off the wired headphones market?

I don't care if the youngsters call me old fashioned I'm not ditching my wired headphones. Nor am I dealing with stupid plug in adapters.

Thankfully Samsung isn't being stupid just yet, but I think I'll still go with OnePlus when I upgrade from my S6 next month.

gcubed

i mean, the last time i was on my phone and it was too slow was a few years ago. The dick wagging contest of benchmarks is pretty irrelevant anymore. Apple is still trying to push a bit of gaming so they can push for that, but my PIxel battery consistently outlasts a 7... something i'm much more concerned about

I do agree that the reliance on Qualcomm isn't ideal... wish someone made a better chip that was readily available

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Qualcomm making trash (exaggeration, duh) compared to Apple is nothing new. Apple phones are where you go for top speed.

Top speed for what though? Maybe it's because I don't play games on my phone but any "smartphone speed comparisons" I see are like two phones opening facebook and one beating the other by 0.003 seconds.

I use the android splitscreen app function sometimes and I imagine better CPU would improve that, but a. it doesn't feel sluggish at all now and b. iOS doesn't even provide that on a phone as far as I know.

Not sure what a useful comparison test would be but would be interested in one. Benchmark scores are useless.

Top speed for what though? Maybe it's because I don't play games on my phone but any "smartphone speed comparisons" I see are like two phones opening facebook and one beating the other by 0.003 seconds.

I use the android splitscreen app function sometimes and I imagine better CPU would improve that, but a. it doesn't feel sluggish at all now and b. iOS doesn't even provide that on a phone as far as I know.

Not sure what a useful comparison test would be but would be interested in one. Benchmark scores are useless.
It's really a more pronounced difference than .003 seconds that really added up when Samsung's bloatware was the only high end worth it. With the Pixel obviously the gap has closed, but it's still shocking how much faster iOS is to do bar anything than Android thanks to a reliance on Qualcomm's second rate chips. The S8 does everything slower than the iPhone did years ago, and the Pixel 2 is most likely gonna be slower than ever the iPhone 6s.

It's just shameful.

Regarding split screen, that's the main feature why I picked Samsung and Android back with the Note 3 and stuck with it to right now with my S6 edge. It's a fantastic feature I wish Apple implemented.

thatJohann

If it has no bezels and looks modern and has an OLED screen then consider me interested, otherwise, will wait for iPhone X.

Kthulhu

There are credible rumors but nothing more. A few outlets have heard that Google is working on their own chips for a year or two now, but that's it.

And you're basing this on what? Apple's own conferences? Last time I checked the 835 still performs well compared to competitors.

It does, but the new A11X blows them out of the water on single thread benchmarks. Apple's SoC's have usually been better than Qualcomm and the other's for a few years now, but this time it's really something.

Now of course that doesn't necessarily mean that real world performance will differ much if at all between the two, but it is an important difference to note.

J-Rzez

I love my wife's Pixel XL. Such a great phone. Responsive, nice screen for a phone. The camera is really-really good. If it turns out solid I'll probably get this and get out of my G5, I'm due for an upgrade. I was considering one of Sony's flagship XZ whatever, but I can never find one to play with in person.

Jzero

So it'll cost over $1000 dollarydoos here....again. Well shit.

At least it'll knock down the price of the Pixel. I might be able to get one of them.

Fuck that might as well get the overpriced ass iPhone X at that point, at least i'll be able to iMessage my friends.

VoxPop

Curious to see what the XL will look like. Between the XL, X and Note8, the 2017 phone lineups have been pretty damn nice on the high end.

Only issue being the XL being a LG phone which has me concerned for bootloops.

Top Bottom