• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 confirmed?

No guarentees it will be big
When they are launching next year against Halo you think Sony wants a brand name like The Last of Us/ Uncharted, or a new IP?

Like someone mentioned before they need a big IP to compete with Halo next year. Uncharted is their most successful brand besides GT. If they go with a new IP they will be murdered next year during the holidays.
I hope you guys realize that UC1 came out in the same holiday season as immensely hyped Halo 3 and MW1, right? And UC2 went toe to toe with MW2 when most publishers delayed their games into early next year. I don't think ND is bothered with what other games are coming out during their launch window, especially since they're lot more bigger name now than they were during UC1.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I´m cool with more Uncharted, but please make the game more like UC2 and not UC3.

I thought the first was good, the second great and the third ok. Why only ok, you may ask?

The reason is UC 3 took way too often the controls away from the player and felt more like an interavtive movie than a game
If you examine things scene by scene, I'm almost sure it's the opposite. Even things like falling out the airplane, you still had control, you still had to aim Drake towards that box.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I hope you guys realize that UC1 came out in the same holiday season as immensely hyped Halo 3 and MW1, right? And UC2 went toe to toe with MW2 when most publishers delayed their games into early next year. I don't think ND is bothered with what other games are coming out during their launch window, especially since they're lot more bigger name now than they were during UC1.

Sony didn't have anything to put up against Halo. They really had to grow "big" franchises from scratch last gen.

The Lamp

Naughty Dog has more than one active team....they can make Uncharted 4 and a different game as well. Good grief people.

UrbanRats

There would be no second team without Uncharted. There would not be The Last of Us without Uncharted. This IP is one of Sony's most valuable.

Naughty Dog is very likely through with platformers. They've moved onto cinematic IPs.

I don't see why there is an assumption that if they move on from Uncharted, they have to revert back to platformers or in any case abandon the "cinematic" IPs.

For example they could've pulled off an Hard Sci Fi in the vein of Moon very very well.

A wise decision if they go with UC4. The globe-trotting adventure theme really lends itself to fuck-awesome crowd-pleasing visuals in a variety of settings. They can really show what the hardware can do with a game that resonates with people. It would be smart and I'd be happy with it.

flying dutchman

Neo Member
This gen there is going to be alot of people like myself who are getting a PS4 but previously only had xboxes. So if they could redo uncharted 1-3 on a prequel disc where they could just tweak the graphics a bit (higher res, better textures and higher frame rate) then people like myself could get into the first ones prior to them releasing the next one.
Worth a thought.

vpance

Naughty Dog has more than one active team....they can make Uncharted 4 and a different game as well. Good grief people.

Yeah, but a truly next gen game? I don't think they can cut it with split teams and 200ish people anymore. I want to see them go full on slave labor style ala Ubi or Rockstar to build some crazy ass intricate worlds.

DjRoomba

Banned
Agreed. Uncharted is untoppable. Its cool to see them do Last of Us too, but their first ps4 game really needs to have Nathan Drake in it.

It will probably be an Uncharted reboot. Question is how can they reboot it?

Levels should be much bigger now thanks to PS4's RAM.
crafting system?

Game has to appeal to casuals, so they can't makenit hardcore

I'd have no problem with another Uncharted, as long as its more akin to Uncharted 2 than 3.

I hope we do see Jak & Daxter again one day though. Even the concept art from the canned reboot looked pretty cool.

I am guessing the graphics will be sick.

Cloth physics on Drake's scarf
Destruction everywhere
Sparks and debris
Sick weather effects
Soft body physics???
Sick water effects

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So for people who thought Uncharted 4 wouldn't happen, what about Sony's behavior made you think this?

They take every series they have and continue it ad infinitum until they feel it is no longer viable or that the studio can make something vastly more profitable.

They would basically have to expect a second new Naughty Dog IP could sell 8 million out the gate when TLOU did nothing near that before they would let them stop Uncharted, and even then replacing TLOU would make more sense.

bridegur

Hopefully ND will use the PS4's power to expand the environments and make it much, much less linear than the first three games.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So for people who thought Uncharted 4 wouldn't happen, what about Sony's behavior made you think this?

They take every series they have and continue it ad infinitum until they feel it is no longer viable or that the studio can make something vastly more profitable.

They would basically have to expect a second new Naughty Dog IP could sell 8 million out the gate when TLOU did nothing near that before they would let them stop Uncharted, and even then replacing TLOU would make more sense.

This post makes me sad because it's true.

Rest in Peace Liverpool Studio, Zipper Games and those guys who did PSBR and Starhawk.

Persona7

Banned
Hopefully ND will use the PS4's power to expand the environments and make it much, much less linear than the first three games.

They would probably have to have a much, much larger budget for that to happen. I have a feeling that a new title would be even more linear and constricted if that is even possible.

VGA's or 11/14? Or you don't know or can't talk about it?

Don't know. Guessing VGA's.

Do know I was wrong about DS2 at 11/14. I know I gave a ton of warnings saying it was an old rumor but I still feel bad for those who I hyped up. The game is still coming but it's not being shown yet.

Ding-Ding

Really wish it was something else. I love Uncharted but 3 felt really forced, like they were running out of idea's for the locations and how they fitted into the story or how they could develope the characters more.

Im afraid that another game in the series may just be one step too far, too soon and could kill the franchise.

Best give it a break and return to it when the ideas come naturally that fit into the franchise.

Let TLOU become the heavy lifter for now and create a new IP to expand apon those they already have.

Don't know. Guessing VGA's.

Do know I was wrong about DS2 at 11/14. I know I gave a ton of warnings saying it was an old rumor but I still feel bad for those who I hyped up. The game is still coming but it's not being shown yet.

Interesting...

So now we have no clue what is going to show up at 11/14?

Epic or Naughty Dog's game seem like the best bets.

I have a feeling that only 1 AAA game will be shown though, if only so that it doesn't cannibalize any other announcements.

UrbanRats

Personally, it was mostly wishful thinking, deep down i knew an Uncharted 4 would've happened.
However Sony is not exactly unwilling to risk it a little bit in the name of quality, i mean they basically gave free reign to Ueda, which had two flops on his track record.

I get that Uncharted is their big thing, but Last of Us had a very strong start, and was considered by most people a masterpiece, there's no reason to believe a 2nd chapter wouldn't grow further, with a third eventually reaching Uncharted numbers.

The "evolutionary branch" Uncharted occupied has been madly crowded ever since Uncharted 2 came out, and i think releasing another title in that vein, with only graphics on its side, could actually be detrimental to the Naughty Dog's brand, which at the moment is regarded as something of incredible artistic luster, thanks to Last of Us.

So yeah, i think Uncharted 4 will be wasting their time, even if it sells good.

Personally, it was mostly wishful thinking, deep down i knew an Uncharted 4 would've happened.
However Sony is not exactly unwilling to risk it a little bit in the name of quality, i mean they basically gave free reign to Ueda, which had two flops on his track record.

I get that Uncharted is their big thing, but Last of Us had a very strong start, and was considered by most people a masterpiece, there's no reason to believe a 2nd chapter wouldn't grow further, with a third eventually reaching Uncharted numbers.

The "evolutionary branch" Uncharted occupied has been madly crowded ever since Uncharted 2 came out, and i think releasing another title in that vein, with only graphics on its side, could actually be detrimental to the Naughty Dog's brand, which at the moment is regarded as something of incredible artistic luster, thanks to Last of Us.

So yeah, i think Uncharted 4 will be wasting their time, even if it sells good.

Actually I'm pretty sure that The Last of Us had a bigger opening than any Uncharted game to date.

It's a testament to the Naughty Dog brand at this point, and the genre is more popular amongst videogame fans.

I think over time there's no doubt that The Last of Us will sell better than any individual Uncharted game to date. It's sold incredibly well out of the gate and has great word of mouth.

That being said, something like The Last of Us could have never happened without Uncharted being first. It set the stage for the team to expand on basic gameplay and cinematic foundations that Uncharted established.

Which is why I don't get why people are so against another Uncharted game -- do you think it's just going to be a repeat? This is Naughty Dog, they're going to have 3+ years of dev time for whatever they're working on next. It's not going to be like Uncharted 3 which was largely a game that wasn't an improvement over the predecessor.

I expect lots of changes. They don't have the restrictions that were present on the PS3, plus longer dev time...magical things will happen.

Yes!! I seriously cannot wait for Uncharted 4!!
I really, really, REALLY hope it is made by NaughtyDog...
If not, I will take a Jak IV. ; )

a916

ND has two teams now... as you know. And they already made a new IP... as you know.

That's why I don't get the whole "but they always make a new IP!" They did. It's called The Last of Us.

Do they actually have two teams or two groups of leadership and the same pool of artists and engineers?

I know a lot of people that did the art for U2, did the art for U3 and Last of Us... there's a people crossing back and forth.

I was always sure they're going to make at least 1 Uncharted next gen. Not capitalizing on the immense brand value and potential sales is a stupid thing to do. J&D was on a decline, sales wise, near the PS2's EOL, while it was opposite for Uncharted. Also, for such a cinematic game, new hardware could do wonders, which wasn't nearly as true for J&D.

Bundy

Banned

I'm pretty confident that TLOU will outsell each of the Uncharted games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is Sony's biggest problem. Same thing happened last gen with Resistance and Killzone ...

Now its Uncharted vs The Order 1886..
I feel the obvious solution there would have been to make The Order a 4 player co-op game instead of launching even more linear cinematic singleplayer shooters.

Top Bottom